Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
I think John Collins is a bit of a pipe dream. Can't imagine a scenario where the Hawks let Collins walk for free in FA, especially to the Mavs given the whole Luka/Trae "winning the trade" aspect. 

If Collins does leave it'd be through a SnT and the Mavs don't really have the capital for that, and we'd be throwing all our eggs into that basket. A risky move.

IF the Hawks let him go, and the Mavs can snag him then I'd be all for it. Dude would be an absolute PERFECT fit.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 01:13 PM)omahen Wrote: The buy in cost for the Mavs to take the gamble with Atlanta is JRich and THJ. No thank you...

Probably, yeah. And there's the risk. Glad I don't have to decide the way forward for the team. It's all fun and games on the internet, but I bet Donnie pops antacids by the hour.
Like Reply
I don't see the Hawks GM risking his job by jumbling up his roster for a non-star acquisition in the middle of a playoff run.    What about a SnT in the offseason?   Well, that pool of suitors is limited to the amount of teams willing to offer Collins a max.    Could Mavs and Hawks do some version of a double SnT Collins and THJ + stuff?  I believe double SnTs are allowed as long as the numbers match.  

Quote:We'd be throwing all our eggs into that basket. A risky move.

Definitely, but the Mavs have to spend their money this offseason on high end talent before Luka gets his max.    They've really backed themselves into the corner by sitting out on high level talent market the last two offseasons.  Now the clock is ticking loudly.  
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 12:00 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: The tradebait on this team needs to be
Cauley-Stein
James Johnson 

I would throw in Powell but for now I just say those two and they can yield 22 to 26 million in salary matching. 
The Mavs can add a future pick and get a decent haul in return.
I fully disagree that this brings back anything of substance to this team.
Like Reply
Yeah, WCS was just on the open market for every team in the league and he got basically a 1 year contract for near vet minimum.   The Mavs got him for essentially nothing from the Warriors.  He has no value around the league.   Johnson's big expiring contract has appeal for a team looking to get off the books of a bad contract, but that requires the Mavs taking on a bad contract that another team that was willing to accept nothing in return and hoping that player is a great fit with the Mavs existing players and someone to build around.
Like Reply
Here's something that I might be willing to do. KP would have to keep showing what he has for a bit.

https://tradenba.com/trades/mgyN1qF5d
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:12 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Here's something that I might be willing to do. KP would have to keep showing what he has for a bit.

https://tradenba.com/trades/mgyN1qF5d

haha
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:12 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Here's something that I might be willing to do. KP would have to keep showing what he has for a bit.

JC + CC would be a really solid return for KP IMO.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 01:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think John Collins is a bit of a pipe dream. Can't imagine a scenario where the Hawks let Collins walk for free in FA, especially to the Mavs given the whole Luka/Trae "winning the trade" aspect. 

If Collins does leave it'd be through a SnT and the Mavs don't really have the capital for that, and we'd be throwing all our eggs into that basket. A risky move.

IF the Hawks let him go, and the Mavs can snag him then I'd be all for it. Dude would be an absolute PERFECT fit.

I’m not a student of RFA so maybe others can fill in some blanks.

If Collins makes it to the off-season:

What is the time frame between when Atl. can start seeking a sign and trade and when another team can sign him to an offer sheet?  I thought you couldn’t do a sign and trade with another team once an offer has been accepted?  Is that correct?

After an offer has been accepted, does Atl. only have 2 options...match or let walk?

If walk, can they still do a S&T with the offering team or get some type of compensation?
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:28 PM)RDB Wrote: What is the time frame between when Atl. can start seeking a sign and trade and when another team can sign him to an offer sheet?

First the free agency opens and you can discuss with players, do SnT and similar. I think three days later is a deadline to propose an offer sheet and then the team has some time to match the offer.

(02-10-2021, 03:28 PM)RDB Wrote: After an offer has been accepted, does Atl. only have 2 options...match or let walk?

Yes

(02-10-2021, 03:28 PM)RDB Wrote: If walk, can they still do a S&T with the offering team or get some type of compensation?

No.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: JC + CC would be a really solid return for KP IMO.
It's JB too, not just KP.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:33 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It's JB too, not just KP.

For sure, I just see him as a sweetener in this kind of deal to help balance the fact that JC + CC might be more than you could expect for KP straight up right now.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:14 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: haha
Not sure why it is laughable. A well playing KP is a pretty good return for Collins who is rumored to be leaving in FA. They have Gallinari for the starting PF spot and KP plays C. JB is their backup that has been said they are needing. We get a starting C/PF duo that has been playing for a bit already.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:32 PM)omahen Wrote: First the free agency opens and you can discuss with players, do SnT and similar. I think three days later is a deadline to propose an offer sheet and then the team has some time to match the offer.

Yes

No.
Thanks

Does the ability for another team to offer a RFA start at the beginning of FA or is there a lag?  In other words, does the clock start for Atl. to find a S&T partner at the same time that another team can make a RFA offer for their player?

And if the offer is made, Atl. can no longer seek another S&T partner, correct?
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: For sure, I just see him as a sweetener in this kind of deal to help balance the fact that JC + CC might be more than you could expect for KP straight up right now.
JB was added because it was said they need a good backup PG. That isn't sweetener IMO. It's KP for Collins and JB for CC. It is Collins possibly leaving in FA for the potential that KP brings (which is just as high as JC if he continues to play like bubble KP). CC is at best a situational C at the end of games because of his FT shooting, which means you have to figure that out, that's where JB makes up a bit of the difference between them.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: JC + CC would be a really solid return for KP IMO.

It is beyond any fantasy I could have ever dreamt. A dream come true.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 03:47 PM)RDB Wrote: And if the offer is made, Atl. can no longer seek another S&T partner, correct?

This one is correct. First one I am not sure. But it is the player who accepts the offer sheet first. Than Atlanta has the right to match.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 04:06 PM)omahen Wrote: Than Atlanta has the right to match.
During which time they can then work out a SnT deal with the team that the offer is accepted too I believe.
Like Reply
Generally I find I'm most wanting to build around KP when everyone on this board wants to get rid of him, and I want to trade him when everyone on this board thinks he's a no brainer franchise foundational player.  Which changes like every 10 days.  Now that we got Maxi back and showing signs of full health, I'm starting to see the KP we saw at the end of last year and in the bubble.   He's definitely a very unique player and has to be surrounded with complementary unique supporting cast.
Like Reply
(02-10-2021, 04:09 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Generally I find I'm most wanting to build around KP when everyone on this board wants to get rid of him, and I want to trade him when everyone on this board thinks he's a no brainer franchise foundational player.
I haven't made up my mind on him yet myself. But there are trades that I think could upgrade this team involving him.

Edit: He is by FAR the best trade piece we have, if we go that route.
Like Reply