Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.0 pt RAPTOR favs & 2.0 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
50.00%
4 50.00%
Nuggets
50.00%
4 50.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 17: DEN (10-7) @ DAL (8-9) | 113-117 loss
(01-26-2021, 12:06 AM)Kammrath Wrote: HB's on/off numbers for each of his seasons....

GSW: +1.8
GSW: -14.0
GSW: +2.6
GSW: -1.4

DAL: +0.7
DAL: -9.3
DAL: -1.2

SAC: +2.1
SAC: -1.4
SAC: +9.7 (SMALL SAMPLE SIZE ALERT)

When you look at the overall arc you see the same reality through his whole career (taking out this year's small sample size). Being on GSW did not hide the reality of who he is as a player. On'off numbers over large sample sizes tend to be quite accurate at giving you a GENERAL, BALLPARK picture of the truth of a player. 

HB's numbers reveal that he is (my interpretation): a generally negative-impact player who in the right team situation can be a small positive-impact player.

That -14% is interesting as that was his best +/- in the playoffs.  Maybe the Mavs believed in playoff Barnes, too bad we never got there to test him on that level.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:11 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Thanks for looking into that. I remembered Brunson getting bullied and struggling in the pick and roll, but I will trust your take. What I remember most clearly was how bad the team defense in the first half was with JJ in. I thought he was the biggest liability and commented as such in this thread.

My philosophy is that the PG defense is the least impactful on the floor. Sure it is nice to have a solid defensive PG but they are not game changers. 

Usually, if your team defense is lacking, the brunt of the blame should go to the bigs or wings, who cover the most ground, before you start questioning the 6'0 - 6'3 dudes. 

It is why I have stated many times before how overrated guys like Beverly, Bledsoe, and so on are. The game is too perimeter oriented and it's hard [or next to impossible] to slow down the many talented guards in the league. 

It's all about switchability and rim protection, and that falls on the wings/bigs more often than not.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:20 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I do not think the KP/Luka Pairing is a great fit

I too have started to wonder this. But here are the numbers of their pairing:

2020-21: 150 mins, Offense 110.2, Defense 105.3, Net +4.9

2019-20: 1154 mins, Offense 115.8, Defense 110.9, Net +5.0

For all of the uncertainty that is pretty solid. Those numbers encourage me AND I feel like the pick and ROLL (not pop) has been much better between them the last few games....I just wish they did it MORE. I just don't know how much KP likes rolling...?
Like Reply
As Chris Vernon would say, the way to win basketball games is to not field players that suck. More than missing Maxi, JRich and Dorian, we are hurt by giving

WCS 27 minutes instead of 10
Iwundu 16 minutes
James Johnson 31 minutes instead of 10
Burke 26 minutes instead of 10.

Denver is a good team,
We kept it close with 3 of our best 7 players missing
and our 2nd and 3rd scoring options shooting like shit,
on a night when Denver was hitting everything from outside.

Nothing to see here. Just a bad game, not structural issues.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I just wish they did it MORE. I just don't know how much KP likes rolling...?

Or how much he's being asked to pop.  

I get the impression a lot of his outside attempts are out of frustration.  If he has a smidgen of airspace, he pulls the trigger.  

This isn't a great ball movement team, it's either PNR/PNP or drive in kick with Luka on the floor and turd in the punchbowl when he's off the floor.  Some of that certainly has to do with playing Iwundu, WCS and Green so many minutes of late but I think the issue is bigger than just the lack of bodies.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:13 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I pray goodness we're only trying to make him look good for a trade. Too big of a role. His minutes need to tank when the cavalry comes back.
There is no calvary on the way...this team is not ready.  The love for the Mavs here is great but it too often leads to unrealistic expectations.  We caught lightening in a bottle during the bubble last year, had multiple Mavs with career years, and rewrote the record books for scoring.  We have a good team (late seed at best), not a contending team but we aren’t that far off.
Like Reply
Team meeting after the loss:

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1353923084005339136
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:19 AM)RDB Wrote: Then I pray to goodness his replacement is a creator because he is the only one we have other than Luka.

Certainly looks the most comfortable with the ball in his hands and has a much easier time creating space due to his size/athleticism (sorry, Jalen!).
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I too have started to wonder this. But here are the numbers of their pairing:

2020-21: 150 mins, Offense 110.2, Defense 105.3, Net +4.9

2019-20: 1154 mins, Offense 115.8, Defense 110.9, Net +5.0

For all of the uncertainty that is pretty solid. Those numbers encourage me AND I feel like the pick and ROLL (not pop) has been much better between them the last few games....I just wish they did it MORE. I just don't know how much KP likes rolling...?

We had to play big because we were playing against Denver and we are missing 3 players that can get minutes at the 2-3-4. It was supposed to be the logical way to get most out of our decimated roster.

I don't think KP has a problem with rolling. It is just that if KP is Luka's pick and roll partner, that makes WCS the outlet option which the defense will just ignore. But KP is also not (yet) comfortable just being a jump shooter, and his shots doesn't fall if he can't get in the game.  On the other hand he performs much better and consistently when he is Luka's pick&roll partner, lone big, or primary option without Luka.

So, probably nothing to worry about in the long run.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:40 AM)cow Wrote: Certainly looks the most comfortable with the ball in his hands and has a much easier time creating space due to his size/athleticism (sorry, Jalen!).
Who are we talking about?
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:43 AM)pompelmo Wrote: It is just that if KP is Luka's pick and roll partner, that makes WCS the outlet option which the defense will just ignore. But KP is also not (yet) comfortable just being a jump shooter, and his shots doesn't fall if he can't get in the game.  On the other hand he performs much better and consistently when he is Luka's pick&roll partner, lone big, or primary option without Luka.

I get it with WCS on the floor....BUT they barely do it when KP is the lone big. KP rarely dives to the bucket and it feels like good things happen when he does. But maybe I am not paying close enough attention.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:43 AM)RDB Wrote: Who are we talking about?

James Johnson

(01-26-2021, 12:45 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I get it with WCS on the floor....BUT they barely do it when KP is the lone big. KP rarely dives to the bucket and it feels like good things happen when he does. But maybe I am not paying close enough attention.

We both aren't paying close enough attention then as I draw the same conclusion.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:45 AM)cow Wrote: James Johnson
Jalen finishes better, facilitates better, shoots better (every kind of shot), spaces better, higher BBIQ.  Johnson is taller.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:50 AM)RDB Wrote: Jalen finishes better, facilitates better, shoots better (every kind of shot), spaces better, higher BBIQ.  Johnson is taller.

I was screwing with you because you lost the plot. Johnson would win in a fist fight. Jalen would win in a Redd Foxx lookalike contest.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:52 AM)cow Wrote: I was screwing with you because you lost the plot.  Johnson would win in a fist fight.  Jalen would win in a Redd Foxx lookalike contest.
Sorry...I’m a little slow.  I was a Grady fan.  Maybe we can trade for his lookalike.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:59 AM)RDB Wrote: Sorry...I’m a little slow.  I was a Grady fan.  Maybe we can trade for his lookalike.

Now I'm going to be thinking all night which NBA player looks most like Whitman Mayo.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 12:13 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I pray goodness we're only trying to make him look good for a trade. Too big of a role. His minutes need to tank when the cavalry comes back.
Sorry Scott41theMavs, I miss understood your post and thought you were talking about Brunson, my bad.  When Cow said I missed the plot, I went back to re-read the post.  It seems so obvious after the fact ?
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 01:04 AM)cow Wrote: Now I'm going to be thinking all night which NBA player looks most like Whitman Mayo.
Lol...we probably lost half the board who is too young to have heard of Sanford & Son..
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 01:16 AM)RDB Wrote: Lol...we probably lost half the board who is too young to have heard of Sanford & Son..

[Image: EGYJYWFXkAAWwZN.jpg]

Kind of looks like LeBron too. Trade for LeBron, Donnie!
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 01:36 AM)cow Wrote: [Image: EGYJYWFXkAAWwZN.jpg]

Kind of looks like LeBron too.  Trade for LeBron, Donnie!
Now you can get a good nights sleep.  I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this is the only sports forum that has had a Whitman Mayo reference  Smile
Like Reply