Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
Totally agree with THJ+Lee alone. I would expect something more from their side actually. A pick or young player. It saves them a ton of salary.

Regarding killing our flexibility at FA until 2022. Look at it this way - Houston managed to move his contract. If hypothetical deal with Dallas happened, OKC also managed to move him. So why would we think, that Dallas would be unable to move him, if Giannis is willing to sign with us?

I don't agree Paul is necessary a disruptor of team chemistry. I totally understand he got pissed off in Clippers playing with that clown DAJ. Same in Houston - I can totally understand Paul object to Harden style of play because it will not lead to titles. I see him as fierce competitor with high basketball IQ. I think Luka and him could have a great bond, with a bit of mutual self respect. Luka can learn a lot from CP3 and should not act like a diva if Paul has something to say. I don't think Luka is like that.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 03:39 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The bigger picture is that I don't want CP if he doesn't agree coming in that this is Luka's team. It's very hard to imagine that happening.

This is very important. I don't think any of last year's vets bought into this, ever. I also think CP3 is too much of "that" vet who won't want to play with the mistakes of younger guys, which means we're once again trading him out.
Like Reply
(11-04-2019, 04:42 AM)omahen Wrote: Totally agree with THJ+Lee alone. I would expect something more from their side actually. A pick or young player. It saves them a ton of salary.

Regarding killing our flexibility at FA until 2022. Look at it this way - Houston managed to move his contract. If hypothetical deal with Dallas happened, OKC also managed to move him. So why would we think, that Dallas would be unable to move him, if Giannis is willing to sign with us?

I don't agree Paul is necessary a disruptor of team chemistry. I totally understand he got pissed off in Clippers playing with that clown DAJ. Same in Houston - I can totally understand Paul object to Harden style of play because it will not lead to titles. I see him as fierce competitor with high basketball IQ. I think Luka and him could have a great bond, with a bit of mutual self respect. Luka can learn a lot from CP3 and should not act like a diva if Paul has something to say. I don't think Luka is like that.

Chris Paul literally is one of the biggest A-Ho......s of the league. The guy is a flat out team disruptor OFF THE COURT. Not necessarily on the court.
Bringing in a personality like Chris Paul will only cause problems.
Better bring in gritty role players or friends of Luka lika Hernangomez.
Dragic would have been an excellent vet for us.

When people throw teams together they forget players are humans with personalities that have to mesh well.

When people want players to take certain actions they forget their humanity and that they might be exhausted. 
Or they don't take into account if the opponent like especially Lakers and Portland play super physical.

Cleveland game was never in danger when you looked at how they played and the game went.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Gamescore can be equal and the game can still be unequal. Dallas was 2 levels above Cleveland at minimum and their young team wasn't scrappy as Lakers and Blazers.

There is so much more going on than stats and results. But maybe my psychological perspective isn't that normal.
Like Reply
I want no part of CP3. He is putting up numbers similar to Brunson post all star break last season. Yes he's a very smart, talented and clutch player. Age has caught up to him. He's putting up solid role player numbers, not 3rd star numbers. His teams have never won. I also can't stand his attitude. I'd keep looking for alternative options.
Like Reply
I suspect he will be an absolute cancer
The culture of the 2011 Mavs was so strong, ripe with vets who could absorb Kidd’s sometimes gruff exterior.

I don’t think this roster is constituted to handle a personality like CP3

As the old adage states, Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don’t make.
Like Reply
Chris Paul would be Rondo 2.0 in pretty much every way. The parallels make me think it has a chance of happening. A team overachieving slightly with the best offensive rating in the league, blows it up for an over-the-hill PG who may or may not clash with RC... Feels like such a Cuban move
Like Reply
(11-04-2019, 12:33 PM)matt6715 Wrote: Chris Paul would be  Rondo 2.0 in pretty much every way.  The parallels make me think it has a chance of happening.  A team overachieving slightly with the best offensive rating in the league, blows it up for an over-the-hill PG who may or may not clash with RC... Feels like such a Cuban move

This is what I was going to write as I read through the posts. Feels like any of several trades for end-of-career former stars. Rondo, Odom, even DAJ. Skills are fading, current reputation is based on past accolades, high salary, uncertain culture fit, hindered development of younger talent, etc.

If it's not someone who is legitimate right now (e.g., like Heild from SAC) then it needs to be someone with a unique skill that enhances the team. 5 yrs. ago CP3 was that guy, but today? Not so much.
Like Reply
(11-04-2019, 12:33 PM)matt6715 Wrote: Chris Paul would be  Rondo 2.0 in pretty much every way.  The parallels make me think it has a chance of happening.  A team overachieving slightly with the best offensive rating in the league, blows it up for an over-the-hill PG who may or may not clash with RC... Feels like such a Cuban move

The one worry is that MBT used to be obsessed with CP3 but I think they are wiser now. It's not even close to Rondo. They took a shot at Rondo bc the price wasn't much (expiring Crowder, etc) and Rondo was himself expiring. The upside was that Rondo would be amazing and Mavs could lock him up.

CP3's deal is absolutely terrible. He still has 2 years after this year. No team that doesn't have it's own terrible contracts (and there aren't that many still left at the moment) is going to offer anything.

Also Mavs have good guards, so he would not be a huge upgrade. There are other teams out there that need better guard play, particularly a general like CP3. If cost wasn't an issue I could see a team like Detroit wanting to pair CP3 with Griffin again. But CP3 is too expensive, too much of a headache. Rox were lucky to be able to dump him. I think CP3 is a good player still and could be useful for OKC if they don't want to do a full tear-down.

Trade ideas (1 or more):

• Jae Crowder (for TE, small move)
  • Steven Adams for Powell + Lee
  • Lee for Iguodala
  • Something for Al Fariq Aminu - not sure the asking price. They really need a PG more than anything and I wouldn't want to give up Brunson. Maybe they will just want to shed salary at the TDL if the team isn't getting it done.

I'd love some kind of Capela move like Powell + Jackson type move would be a fair swap but both teams would have to feel like they got better.
Like Reply
(11-04-2019, 02:24 PM)michaeltex Wrote: This is what I was going to write as I read through the posts. Feels like any of several trades for end-of-career former stars. Rondo, Odom, even DAJ. Skills are fading, current reputation is based on past accolades, high salary, uncertain culture fit, hindered development of younger talent, etc.

If it's not someone who is legitimate right now (e.g., like Heild from SAC) then it needs to be someone with a unique skill that enhances the team. 5 yrs. ago CP3 was that guy, but today? Not so much.

Like the Rangers used to do in the 70's, trading for a washed up big name. Bert Campenaris and several others.
Like Reply
Please just no. I've always disliked CP3. Imagine him playing for my team? I will puke.

I like our team so far. But if they ever do think of making a trade, I'd go after Bradley Beal or Kevin Love.
Like Reply
This isn't so much a trade idea as it is a framework for thinking about trades.  I've yet to figure out what the biggest area of need is.  When you have a bunch of "good" players and "great" players aren't within the reach of your assets, then all you are probably talking about is marginal improvement.  

I'm starting to look at lineups and positions a little differently than the traditional five positions (1-5).  In terms of lineups, we have Both Unicorns, Neither Unicorn, Luka without KP and KP without Luka.  We are nowhere near figuring out the lineups that include KP.  Right now he has a positive net rating in two man lineups with only one teammate...Brunson.  He's a net negative in On Court and his On Minus Off is -26.  

From a positional standpoint, I've got four:

1.  Luka: (too unique to be placed in a single catagory).  Size of a SF, assists like a PG and rebounds like a PF.  Lineups that include him are basically about complementing his skills while attention has to also be paid to surviving the lineups that don't include him.

2.  Ball Handlers: (basically, Wright, Brunson and Curry).  Sometimes Carlisle has two of these guys on the floor with Luka.  Sometimes only one.  Wright and Curry are net positives with Luka (net ratings of +13 and +4 respectively).  Wright and Brunson seem well suited to running the team when Luka sits (Wright has said he prefers that so he can have the ball in his hands more).  But, Curry's D next to Luka's D isn't ideal.  If you were going to upgrade here, it would need to be a ball handler who doesn't have to have the ball in his hands (oxymoron) who plays D and can create his own shot.  Wright seems to fit that relatively well, but could also benefit the team if he moved down a notch in the pecking order in favor of an even better shot creator (remember, we were gunning for Kemba Walker this summer)

3.  Big's (Powell, KP, Maxi and occasionally some minutes from Boban).  DFS has also gotten significant minutes at PF.  I'm not sure we know what the ideal pairing is with KP.  Playing KP at C with Maxi hasn't been good.  KP with DFS has been the best situation, but it is WAY too early to tell how the KP/Powell pairing is going to work.  The team tried to trade for Olynyk this summer.  So, it isn't out of the question that we might want another big (Keep and eye on Zeller too).

4.  Wings: (DFS, THJ and Jackson).  It is starting to feel like Jackson is the 10th man in what is becoming a 9 man rotation.  Shame.  I was hoping he'd be the answer here.  Logically, this is the area where improvement might be easiest to come by.  Neither DFS nor THJ is hitting their 3's and their box score and advanced stats aren't very good.  But, man it is easy to find lineups with either of them that are effective.  With that said, Iggy and Green seemed to be serious targets this summer.

Future improvement is also clouded by a potential drop in BRI which could actually lower the cap and tax levels.  It seems the team has targeted something more at all three positions.  Improvement might just be marginal (potential deals might be uninspiring), but the difference between 48 and 51 wins and the difference between 5th in the West and 4th is also a marginal difference.  At some point marginal improvement is enough to make the difference between a first round exit and two rounds of playoffs.  So, maybe our biggest need is actually marginal improvement.  Anything more that than is likely out of reach or incredibly expensive.
Like Reply
(11-05-2019, 08:38 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: This isn't so much a trade idea as it is a framework for thinking about trades.  I've yet to figure out what the biggest area of need is.  When you have a bunch of "good" players and "great" players aren't within the reach of your assets, then all you are probably talking about is marginal improvement.  

I'm starting to look at lineups and positions a little differently than the traditional five positions (1-5).  In terms of lineups, we have Both Unicorns, Neither Unicorn, Luka without KP and KP without Luka.  We are nowhere near figuring out the lineups that include KP.  Right now he has a positive net rating in two man lineups with only one teammate...Brunson.  He's a net negative in On Court and his On Minus Off is -26.  

From a positional standpoint, I've got four:

1.  Luka: (too unique to be placed in a single catagory).  Size of a SF, assists like a PG and rebounds like a PF.  Lineups that include him are basically about complementing his skills while attention has to also be paid to surviving the lineups that don't include him.

2.  Ball Handlers: (basically, Wright, Brunson and Curry).  Sometimes Carlisle has two of these guys on the floor with Luka.  Sometimes only one.  Wright and Curry are net positives with Luka (net ratings of +13 and +4 respectively).  Wright and Brunson seem well suited to running the team when Luka sits (Wright has said he prefers that so he can have the ball in his hands more).  But, Curry's D next to Luka's D isn't ideal.  If you were going to upgrade here, it would need to be a ball handler who doesn't have to have the ball in his hands (oxymoron) who plays D and can create his own shot.  Wright seems to fit that relatively well, but could also benefit the team if he moved down a notch in the pecking order in favor of an even better shot creator (remember, we were gunning for Kemba Walker this summer)

3.  Big's (Powell, KP, Maxi and occasionally some minutes from Boban).  DFS has also gotten significant minutes at PF.  I'm not sure we know what the ideal pairing is with KP.  Playing KP at C with Maxi hasn't been good.  KP with DFS has been the best situation, but it is WAY too early to tell how the KP/Powell pairing is going to work.  The team tried to trade for Olynyk this summer.  So, it isn't out of the question that we might want another big (Keep and eye on Zeller too).

4.  Wings: (DFS, THJ and Jackson).  It is starting to feel like Jackson is the 10th man in what is becoming a 9 man rotation.  Shame.  I was hoping he'd be the answer here.  Logically, this is the area where improvement might be easiest to come by.  Neither DFS nor THJ is hitting their 3's and their box score and advanced stats aren't very good.  But, man it is easy to find lineups with either of them that are effective.  With that said, Iggy and Green seemed to be serious targets this summer.

Future improvement is also clouded by a potential drop in BRI which could actually lower the cap and tax levels.  It seems the team has targeted something more at all three positions.  Improvement might just be marginal (potential deals might be uninspiring), but the difference between 48 and 51 wins and the difference between 5th in the West and 4th is also a marginal difference.  At some point marginal improvement is enough to make the difference between a first round exit and two rounds of playoffs.  So, maybe our biggest need is actually marginal improvement.  Anything more that than is likely out of reach or incredibly expensive.

The key is to have Luka to start off the ball as he does not need the ball in his hands to be excellent. Obviously for the whole game Luka should be the main ball handlers I would say around 26 of his roughly 36 minutes per game.

This gives Brunson and wright about 22 Minutes of ballhandling to share. Luka is an excellent spot up shooter and it should be utilized even more. Excellent floor spacer and good off ball movement.

This way Brunson and Wright can get their game going. Especially Brunson who tends to force his shit if not given enough opportunity. Wright plays super in control. Excellent player.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1191531656664010753
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
It's still early, but to me the biggest need is far and away a legitimate two-way wing. We have Luka, we have guard depth with Brunson, Wright, and Curry, we have KP, we have big depth in Maxi, Dwight, and Boban. But for wings all we have are DFS and JJackson, two guys who are kind of one-dimensional in opposite ways. Getting a legit 15 ppg guy who can shoot and defend the other teams' best wing would go a long way towards making the Mavs true contenders.
Like Reply
(11-05-2019, 08:38 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I'm not sure we know what the ideal pairing is with KP.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(11-05-2019, 08:38 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: This isn't so much a trade idea as it is a framework for thinking about trades. 

Nice thoughts. Speaking about framework, I think this season we only have two options:
1. Trade for a bad salary guy that we believe will also be a 3rd guy contributor (think Paul, Hayward, Porter,...)
2. Trade for a bad salary guy that will get us an asset (think Dieng, Felicio, Waiters,...)

I wouldn't go for any role players, as we have enough already. We wouldn't get a lot, just risk effect on chemistry. And we certainly don't need better number 10-15 guys.

We can't get any major guys as we don't have assets.

Next season could be a different situation. We will have THJ expiring, 2020 first rounder, next tradeable first rounder will be a year closer, so we might be able to jump into a favorable trade, if opportunity appears.
Like Reply
(11-05-2019, 10:42 AM)omahen Wrote: Nice thoughts. Speaking about framework, I think this season we only have two options:
1. Trade for a bad salary guy that we believe will also be a 3rd guy contributor (think Paul, Hayward, Porter,...)
2. Trade for a bad salary guy that will get us an asset (think Dieng, Felicio, Waiters,...)

I wouldn't go for any role players, as we have enough already. We wouldn't get a lot, just risk effect on chemistry. And we certainly don't need better number 10-15 guys.

We can't get any major guys as we don't have assets.

Next season could be a different situation. We will have THJ expiring, 2020 first rounder, next tradeable first rounder will be a year closer, so we might be able to jump into a favorable trade, if opportunity appears.

I wouldn't pursue either of those options, and I think their are others. The salaries of our deep stable of role players are structured such that some of those guys could be very trade-able. I definitely don't want to trade just to trade. I'm content with seeing what this team can do. But, if something we like pops up, it's possible that some of our modestly priced but productive role players could be packaged.
Like Reply
What about Roco/Wiggins for THJ/Lee/fillers. It would be a all in move and while Wiggins is overpaid, he is really athletic and has had a good start to the season. He's long at 6'7". Roco is the 2 way guy we need. Wiggins is so young that he still has potential to get better. I'm not saying this is for sure the answer. Just a thought because I know this was thrown around during the summer by some on here.
Like Reply
(11-05-2019, 11:15 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: What about Roco/Wiggins for THJ/Lee/fillers. It would be a all in move and while Wiggins is overpaid, he is really athletic and has had a good start to the season. He's long at 6'7". Roco is the 2 way guy we need. Wiggins is so young that he still has potential to get better. I'm not saying this is for sure the answer. Just a thought because I know this was thrown around during the summer by some on here.

That´s the trade we have discussed all summer long. In the end it comes down to Wiggins being among the 5 worst contracts in the league vs RoCo being a legit all defense 3&D player.
Right now I don´t think Minnesota is interested in a trade. They had a great start and probably want to see what their current roster can do before they break up their core.
Like Reply
His contract is way better than CP3's...lol. At least he's 24. I agree that Minnesota probably won't make any moves right now unless their season falls apart.
Like Reply