Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...5798397953
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:59 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...5798397953
Just said this on the game thread but seeing KP dig in one defense and clean the glass the way he did, on a night his offense wasn't there, was so amazing.
" I always wanted to be a basketball player. Nothing more, nothing less." - Dirk Nowitzki
Like Reply
One thing I noticed about his rebounding is the Mavs have him so singularly focused on defending the rim that he's often not in great position to block out for the rebound because he's out contesting the shot.   Is this a common thing (at least in the modern game) for elite shotblockers to not be simultaneously that great rebounders?    Like last year Myles Turner led the league in blocks per game, but only averaged 7 rebounds a game.   And then KP's total rebound numbers get double whammied on offense because he spends so much time parked out behind the arc and shooting  that he's not under the rim for the offensive rebound... which I'm sure is not something that Andre Drummond has to be overly worried about.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 09:58 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: One thing I noticed about his rebounding is the Mavs have him so singularly focused on defending the rim that he's often not in great position to block out for the rebound because he's out contesting the shot.   Is this a common thing (at least in the modern game) for elite shotblockers to not be simultaneously that great rebounders?    Like last year Miles Turner led the league in blocks per game, but only averaged 7 rebounds a game.   And then KP's total rebound numbers get double whammied on offense because he spends so much time parked out behind the arc and shooting  that he's not under the rim for the offensive rebound... which I'm sure is not something that Andre Drummond has to be overly worried about.

As the counterexample, last year, DAJ was so focused on padding his rebounding totals that he was unwilling to challenge a single shot.
Like Reply
KP is challenging a lot of shots under the basket and his blocks have been great. My one gripe on the defensive end for him is that he doesn't really do a good job of challenging 3s and long 2s. It almost looked like he was targeted on a lot of switches in the Portland and the Denver games. Often times it looks like he's expecting a drive so he sags off the shooters and they just shoot right over him due to all the space he gives them. There have been a few sequences where he'll force a couple of 3s and usually miss, then come back on the defensive end and sag off a shooter, only to get scored on. These sequences have happened a lot and its only been 4 games. We end up with a 4-8 point swing in those sequences. One sequence that I remember and can point to is in the first quarter when he let Milsap score 9 straight while trying to find his own rhythm with some misses on the other end. Other than that, KP has been great.
Like Reply
A good example of how using a big man to shoot 3s and defend the rim is going to negatively effect his rebounding numbers is Brook Lopez.    His best rebounding years were the first years in the league when the Nets just used him as a big bruiser.  He started becoming one of the better shot blockers in the league and his rebound numbers dropped down a little bit.   After he discovered his 3 point shot his rebound numbers noticeably dropped.    Since coming to Milwaukee he's basically been getting 4-5 rebounds a game while playing 30 minutes.   His first year in the league he was getting 8 rebounds a game playing 30 minutes.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 09:58 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: One thing I noticed about his rebounding is the Mavs have him so singularly focused on defending the rim that he's often not in great position to block out for the rebound because he's out contesting the shot.   Is this a common thing (at least in the modern game) for elite shotblockers to not be simultaneously that great rebounders?    Like last year Myles Turner led the league in blocks per game, but only averaged 7 rebounds a game.   And then KP's total rebound numbers get double whammied on offense because he spends so much time parked out behind the arc and shooting  that he's not under the rim for the offensive rebound... which I'm sure is not something that Andre Drummond has to be overly worried about.
Gobert has averaged over double digit rebounds with over 2 blocks per game in past 2 years. D.Howard was putting insane rebounding and blocking numbers during his Orlando days.
But those 2 are arguably the greatest defensive big men in past decade and half. 
Though looking at some stats it that in past 20 years, 17 times DPOY was a big man. 15 of them the winner averaged more than 9 rebounds. The 2 other winners were Green and Gasol with minimum of 7.8 RPG. 

In other words, elite defenders will manage a way to do both rebounding and blocking altering shot. It is an area he will need to improve if he reaches that level on the defensive end
Like Reply
And Gobert and Howard were (hopefully) never shooting outside of 8 feet and never played any 4.   Their entire game was played directly underneath the rim.   And as I noted upthread, Lopez has basically seen his rebound averages drop in half over his career as he's developed his game as a big who shoots a lot of 3s and blocks shots.   It makes perfect sense that guys who spend less time around the rim or with their back toward the rim have less rebounds as peers who are always parked underneath the rim.
Like Reply
Porzingis has the third most contested 3s per game with 5.8 in the NBA.

https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle-leaders/
Like Reply
KP leading the NBA in defended field goals attempted per game.    Opponents are shooting 37% on field goal attempts he defends.

Imagine thinking KP is bad at defense.
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 08:06 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: KP leading the NBA in defended field goals attempted per game.    Opponents are shooting 37% on field goal attempts he defends.

Imagine thinking KP is bad at defense.
I see what you did there ..... and ....I like it. Big Grin
" I always wanted to be a basketball player. Nothing more, nothing less." - Dirk Nowitzki
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1190378633124306946
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1190725910066073600
Like Reply
[Image: EIfxtISXkAA5eim?format=jpg&name=large]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75nypGSGaZA
Like Reply
Porzingis doesn't need to be a focal point of the offense as long as he plays great defense.
Like Reply
Considering that he hasn't played real ball in a couple years, he's looking nice a nice piece. I image he'll look even more comfortable come mid-season.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1191416907892740097
Like Reply
Well am I the only one who is concerned about the obvious lack of chemistry between him and Luka?

If you asked me at the end of last year, I would not have been sure who's team this will be because KP was SO good at times with the Knicks and I feared, Luka might cool down next season, because he will get more and more attention from defense and KP will take some of his touches.

But this is not the case, Luka still looks like the ultimate price and a future MVP (future like maybe already next year) - he is just beyond words as a 20 y/o.

I hope I am overreacting and it all has to do with KP getting back into form after sitting out so long and maybe ever more so, with KP and Luka not being adjusted yet to one another - chemistry will come.

BUT, and this is my essential question, are there any signs about them not getting along? At times it looks as if Luka's ignoring KP and he tries to involve others more. Could as well be the case that this is on KP and him being not in synch offensively. I hope I am seeing things that are not there, but me feeling is they are not that close (e.g. high fiving each other and all that shit). Or are there any rumors/signs that support this nightmare? Because the only thing that can stop us from being a great young team with a bright and immediate future would be some drama between KP and Luka - because Luka is too good to share the spotlight.
Like Reply
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske...story.html
Like Reply
(11-05-2019, 05:12 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Well am I the only one who is concerned about the obvious lack of chemistry between him and Luka?

If you asked me at the end of last year, I would not have been sure who's team this will be because KP was SO good at times with the Knicks and I feared, Luka might cool down next season, because he will get more and more attention from defense and KP will take some of his touches.

But this is not the case, Luka still looks like the ultimate price and a future MVP (future like maybe already next year) - he is just beyond words as a 20 y/o.

I hope I am overreacting and it all has to do with KP getting back into form after sitting out so long and maybe ever more so, with KP and Luka not being adjusted yet to one another - chemistry will come.

BUT, and this is my essential question, are there any signs about them not getting along? At times it looks as if Luka's ignoring KP and he tries to involve others more. Could as well be the case that this is on KP and him being not in synch offensively. I hope I am seeing things that are not there, but me feeling is they are not that close (e.g. high fiving each other and all that shit). Or are there any rumors/signs that support this nightmare? Because the only thing that can stop us from being a great young team with a bright and immediate future would be some drama between KP and Luka - because Luka is too good to share the spotlight.

6 games
Like Reply