Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Site Requests / Issues
Damn idk... I’ve changed everything back that I just changed about the embed feature and it still won’t fix 

Which is weird because I didn’t even change anything about the mobile dark theme

Look I’m trying y’all but this what I’m talking about 

It isn’t just easy fixes

Often times when I fix a request someone has it breaks something else 

And it takes hours going back and forth to figure it out

I’m trying my best but this is why I’d appreciate some patience when it comes to minor cosmetic things because if it isn’t that serious then I might be able to fix it or I might accidentally break something else

The constant going back and forth in code is Harder than people think because like I’ve said these themes are outdated and are not supposed to work with this version of the forum 

So some things will break if you mess with them

I’ll keep trying to find the issue but it may take a while

Which stinks because mobile dark is all I used before

Which btw, I don’t think anything to do with the embed did it... I think it might have been when I was trying to fix the size of the +/- that I’ve multiple requests on, and I’ve now changed everything back from that so idk

But this is frustrating
Like Reply
okay so idk... I have been working on this for 5+ hours now and not getting anywhere... all I have managed to do is get italics on the light theme and now the embed feature is breaking the mobile theme when I didnt change anything to that theme... 

I have undid anything i did besides the italics thing(I undid it and checked and it wasnt what broke it so I put it back)

I have no clue what happened...

all I know is that if you turn your phone sideways the mobile theme works great, I just cant get it to work in vertical mode, on the pages with embeds...

1pm to 7:48 and not much progress... when I can afford to I will hire a coder to fix these things, but as you can see this stuff isn't easy... and I have built easily 30+ websites in 20+ years now and have messed with code, and various CMS and java and css and html and php etc etc... but it is mostly because we have conflicting themes with the forum software... so some of this stuff will likely have to wait until I can afford to hire us a mybb coder to customize all of this for us.
Like Reply
Maybe us users can contribute for a coder for a.couple of days?... Huh
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
This may already exist and I don't know how to do it but it would be nice when you logged in if you could see notifications of posts of yours that have been quoted by another user (similar to realgm) so you could quickly navigate to them and reply if you want without having to remember the threads you posted in
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 10:27 AM)robillionaire Wrote: This may already exist and I don't know how to do it but it would be nice when you logged in if you could see notifications of posts of yours that have been quoted by another user (similar to realgm) so you could quickly navigate to them and reply if you want without having to remember the threads you posted in

that would be really cool... but I am pretty sure there is no way to accomplish that. There is no function within the code anywhere that registers when someone quotes another person... the best I can do is have the features so up so you always know when there are new comments on a post and you can go directly to where you left off... but there is just no syntax to register when someone is quoted and therefore use that as a function to be applied as a notification. It sounds like a cool idea, but that would require someone to actually code a plugin/alter the nature of the code of this software altogether, so I don't foresee this one ever being accomplished, and I am sorry.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 10:27 AM)robillionaire Wrote: This may already exist and I don't know how to do it but it would be nice when you logged in if you could see notifications of posts of yours that have been quoted by another user (similar to realgm) so you could quickly navigate to them and reply if you want without having to remember the threads you posted in
Maybe you are aware already:
You can subscribe to threads and the forum though. It's not what you had in mind but I think that should provide you with notifications. 
Further you can go through your post history and click your latest posts in order to read everything that came after.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 01:21 PM)RMagickian Wrote:

that would be really cool... but I am pretty sure there is no way to accomplish that. There is no function within the code anywhere that registers when someone quotes another person... the best I can do is have the features so up so you always know when there are new comments on a post and you can go directly to where you left off... but there is just no syntax to register when someone is quoted and therefore use that as a function to be applied as a notification. It sounds like a cool idea, but that would require someone to actually code a plugin/alter the nature of the code of this software altogether, so I don't foresee this one ever being accomplished, and I am sorry.

Not worth coding it urself my dude. There should be plenty of plugins out there for some sort of notification system, that’s one of the best parts of using freeware like this — a buncha people have already done the work for us lol.

I think one of the plugins for this specific function which was popular a while back was called “MyAlerts”. This was a few years ago so something even better might be out there but that one was solid and worked well as far as I can remember. 

Gwnerally speaking, I hope ya arent having to hard code anything very much. There should be plugins and mods out there for most everything  we could want to use here.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 01:56 PM)Mak Wrote: There should be plugins and mods out there for most everything  we could want to use here.

We are using multiple plugins now. That is what I am addressing. I know the MyAlerts has a lot of compatibility issues so I never even installed it, as we have enough plugins and compatibility issues as is.

Often when I add a plugin it breaks something else, or affects the themes because these themes are incompatible with the current forum software. I will maybe look into actually trying MyAlerts but I thought that helped with other things and not that in particular. If that specific function is indeed there inside that plugin then I will do some research and see if it works with our site as well, without breaking other things.

I am not coding these things from scratch, no... but I have to code almost every single one of them to make sure they work with things. Often I have to adjust the code, and place it in the right spot in the theme/main code, or I have to remove some line of code that conflicts with the other things etc...

So no I don't personally code these things but I have to go through tons of code ad then alter it and find the right fixes etc... so it is akin to coding, with some minimal coding, but mostly is reading code, and finding the right code in a sea of disorganized code and try to find the right solution... so it still is a pain often haha
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 07:45 PM)Magickian Wrote: Often times when I fix a request someone has it breaks something else 

Coding in a nutshell. Nothing ever makes sense! One of the many reasons why I sticked to biology instead of venturing into computer science. But anyways, thanks again for working on it. I'm sure you'll eventually fix it.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 02:07 PM)Magickian Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 01:56 PM)Mak Wrote: There should be plugins and mods out there for most everything  we could want to use here.

We are using multiple plugins now. That is what I am addressing. I know the MyAlerts has a lot of compatibility issues so I never even installed it, as we have enough plugins and compatibility issues as is.

Often when I add a plugin it breaks something else, or affects the themes because these themes are incompatible with the current forum software. I will maybe look into actually trying MyAlerts but I thought that helped with other things and not that in particular. If that specific function is indeed there inside that plugin then I will do some research and see if it works with our site as well, without breaking other things.

I am not coding these things from scratch, no... but I have to code almost every single one of them to make sure they work with things. Often I have to adjust the code, and place it in the right spot in the theme/main code, or I have to remove some line of code that conflicts with the other things etc...

So no I don't personally code these things but I have to go through tons of code ad then alter it and find the right fixes etc... so it is akin to coding, with some minimal coding, but mostly is reading code, and finding the right code in a sea of disorganized code and try to find the right solution... so it still is a pain often haha

Gotcha. 

For the constant breaks / fixes — if ya haven’t already considered it, you could try creating a mirror version of the forum via a new subdomain in the Admin cpanel dedicated to testing new features and any changes. If ya post the link to it, I’m sure some of us would be able to help test things out in that sandbox before you copy the changes over here. 

That being said, if keeping it all in one place and doing it live like you are now is easier / comfortable for you, don’t worry about complicating things further with another environment. Some prefer it that way. This is just an idea to help take some of the stress / pressure off of ya, in case you don’t! Thx again for the good work.

(11-03-2019, 02:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 07:45 PM)Magickian Wrote: Often times when I fix a request someone has it breaks something else 

Coding in a nutshell. Nothing ever makes sense! One of the many reasons why I sticked to biology instead of venturing into computer science. But anyways, thanks again for working on it. I'm sure you'll eventually fix it.

Heh. If Lord Elon Musk and his robot technology is successful —  computer science and [natural] biology might some day merge into the same field ...  Big Grin
Like Reply
Slightly Off topic. Somehow 247sports fixed their forum software right when fish left it. Their new forum looks clean and has all the features you guys ever wanted.

It's not a complain about what we have here. It's just about the irony of it.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 06:36 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Slightly Off topic. Somehow 247sports fixed their forum software right when fish left it. Their new forum looks clean and has all the features you guys ever wanted.

Meh... to each their own... I never liked the 247 forums... I still think it is an eyesore, and a mess tbh... I preferred yuku and all the others before it (I forget the names) more than I ever liked 247
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 06:46 PM)Magickian Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 06:36 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Slightly Off topic. Somehow 247sports fixed their forum software right when fish left it. Their new forum looks clean and has all the features you guys ever wanted.

Meh... to each their own... I never liked the 247 forums... I still think it is an eyesore, and a mess tbh... I preferred yuku and all the others before it (I forget the names) more than I ever liked 247

Haha not that it is ideal, just that they fixed the thing many did complain about.
Like Reply
Sorry if it was mentioned before, I don't follow this thread. I don't know about the rest of you, but this new look is not working for me:
- before I could very easily see where somebody posted something new (different color) - not anymore
- mark part of text for reply quote doesn't work anymore
- in fact I couldn't understand how to actually successfully quote and reply at all
- I can't choose the option in the poll

I use Chrome. Everything listed worked perfectly well for me before.
Like Reply
(11-04-2019, 04:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Sorry if it was mentioned before, I don't follow this thread. I don't know about the rest of you, but this new look is not working for me:
- before I could very easily see where somebody posted something new (different color) - not anymore
- mark part of text for reply quote doesn't work anymore
- in fact I couldn't understand how to actually successfully quote and reply at all
- I can't choose the option in the poll

I use Chrome. Everything listed worked perfectly well for me before.

At the very bottom of the screen there is a Dropbox menu that lets you select the Light Theme which is the original theme.
Like Reply
I´m having the strange issue in Dark Mode, that I can´t find the "post reply" button after I hit "reply" under any post. Where it should be there is just a blue button, but nothing happens after I click it.
Like Reply
Magick, I love the Mavs Forum logo/banner etc!
Like Reply
(11-04-2019, 09:28 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Magick, I love the Mavs Forum logo/banner etc!

Agree
Like Reply
(11-04-2019, 08:19 AM)Thukydides Wrote: I´m having the strange issue in Dark Mode, that I can´t find the "post reply" button after I hit "reply" under any post. Where it should be there is just a blue button, but nothing happens after I click it.

Thanks for pointing this out, it should be fixed by now.
Like Reply
(11-04-2019, 12:37 PM)Magickian Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 08:19 AM)Thukydides Wrote: I´m having the strange issue in Dark Mode, that I can´t find the "post reply" button after I hit "reply" under any post. Where it should be there is just a blue button, but nothing happens after I click it.

Thanks for pointing this out, it should be fixed by now.

Tested it with this post. Fixed! Thanks for your incredible work.  The whole thing is just splendid now. Looks and functions like top end stuff.
Like Reply