Poll: Should Seth Curry start?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, he should start & finish and get 30+ min
40.00%
16 40.00%
No, but he should always finish
15.00%
6 15.00%
No, he's a role player. He should finish when he's hot; otherwise, he should sit.
45.00%
18 45.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Curry start?
(10-29-2019, 06:26 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: IMHO he will get exposed if he's overused, but I love him in an 18-20 minute roll off the bench.

This will be his role. Expect something in between his last stint in DAL and last season with POR: 20-24 mins at most, add/subtract a few more depending on the game. 

Seth is not a starter on a playoff team imho. A 33 win team like in 2016-17? Sure. 

He had a big opportunity last night and was severely outplayed: negative 13 last night in plus/minus. Him and Luka almost cost us the game down the stretch. Hopefully Carlisle doesn't make the same mistake going forward.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 04:48 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: This will be his role. Expect something in between his last stint in DAL and last season with POR: 20-24 mins at most, add/subtract a few more depending on the game. 

Seth is not a starter on a playoff team imho. A 33 win team like in 2016-17? Sure. 

He had a big opportunity last night and was severely outplayed: negative 13 last night in plus/minus. Him and Luka almost cost us the game down the stretch. Hopefully Carlisle doesn't make the same mistake going forward.

"This will be his role"

Do you know someone on the coaching staff?

"He had a big opportunity last night and was severely outplayed"

What did you see that makes you think he was severely outplayed?
Like Reply
Not sure what some of you guys have been seeing out there but Curry and Delon have been our 3rd a and 3rd b best players as well as consistent even more so than our 2 stars who took the night off on the stat sheet last night.

I could argue either way Seth or Delon is our 3rd best player seeing as how they both have been stellar on defense and have played solid consistent basketball each game of the regular season. Seth is definitely the more potent offensive threat and Delon is a better defender but both have been great on both sides of the court.

I have been absolutely blown away by Seth's defense so far and his ability to be shooting 46% from 3 and equally hot inside the arc coming in the game cold off the bench outside of his start last night. The dude has been amazing so far even in his super limited minutes.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 06:25 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote: Not sure what some of you guys have been seeing out there but Curry and Delon have been our 3rd a and 3rd b best players as well as consistent even more so than our 2 stars who took the night off on the stat sheet last night.

I could argue either way Seth or Delon is our 3rd best player seeing as how they both have been stellar on defense and have played solid consistent basketball each game of the regular season. Seth is definitely the more potent offensive threat and Delon is a better defender but both have been great on both sides of the court.

I have been absolutely blown away by Seth's defense so far and his ability to be shooting 46% from 3 and equally hot inside the arc coming in the game cold off the bench outside of his start last night. The dude has been amazing so far even in his super limited minutes.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Mavs have about 6 or 7 players who should average about 22-28 minutes a game depending on the night and the matchup, of which Curry is one.   Whether that's "starting" or off the bench, who cares as long as the minutes get played.  

The fan obsession over who gets their name called out over the PA for the pre-game laser show never ceases to amaze.
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 09:42 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: The fan obsession over who gets their name called out over the PA for the pre-game laser show never ceases to amaze

I think you're missing the point. By my definition "a legit NBA starter" is different than "someone who starts," which probably needs an explanation... 

A legit NBA starter - or what I've referred to as a legit No 3 on this team - is a player who you can count on to start and finish games. Name in black ink, not pencil. Over/under is around 30 minutes for guards, wings, forwards; probably 27 minutes for centers. The player doesn't have to be a star. 

110 players average more than 27 minutes per game last year.

The reason this is relevant is the Mavs currently employ only two guys who averaged more than 24 minutes last season. THJ and Doncic. 

So who is going to step up and force their way onto the floor? 

Obviously Porzingis and Doncic. But who else?

I think THJ's minutes will actually go down YoY.

It's great to have a bunch of guys playing 22 minutes evenly. Viewed through one lens that's a sign of depth. But viewed through another lens, that's a sign that no one else can break away from the pack.

Personally, I think Powell & Kleber will roughly split minutes based on fouls & matchups. 

I think the most likely player to break from the pack is Wright. 

But it could also be Brunson, Curry, maybe DFS, even Jackson. 

Or maybe the Mavs just have a bunch of similar guys and the legit no 3 isn't yet on the roster.
Like Reply
Quote:Obviously Porzingis and Doncic. But who else?

Whoever the Mavs analytics says provides the best matchup on that particular night, imho.   That's why you have an analytics staff.      Why do you need to utilize the same strategy and lineups over 82 games against vastly different opponents?    The strength of the Mavs, aside from having 2 young stars, is having about 8-9 legit NBA players who do a few legitimate NBA things at a pretty high level that you can mix and match and go to on any particular night as needed.  
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 10:41 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Whoever the Mavs analytics says provides the best matchup on that particular night

That's no fun ... but you're probably right.

My point is the Raps last year would never bench Kawhi, Lowery or Siakam based on analytics. Those three were the core of the team.

The Mavs currently have two core guys and a bunch of depth. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Blazers I think had two guys over 30 min last year and the next guy was Aminou. So you can win without a 3rd guy. 

That said, I think it would be more fun if one of our depth guys steps up.

Side note ... the poll clearly wasn't really written very well, but as it stands fully 65% of DMB.com voters think Curry should finish games. Interesting.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 04:48 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 06:26 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: IMHO he will get exposed if he's overused, but I love him in an 18-20 minute roll off the bench.

This will be his role. Expect something in between his last stint in DAL and last season with POR: 20-24 mins at most, add/subtract a few more depending on the game. 

The starting lineup gave up a comfortable lead to start the second half, which included Seth "Starter" Curry. They were a negative 12 for a 7 minute stretch.

So what does Carlisle do for the final minutes of the game with a 5 point lead? He goes back to his starting line-up that gave up the big lead, which included Seth "Starter" Curry. Who gave up the final 3 to send the game to overtime? That's right, Seth "Starter" Curry.

I KNOW, DWIGHT HELD HIM. But look at how undisciplined Seth's defense was as he went for the block rather than stay on the ground. He doesn't jump, Green chucks a terrible shot and we win the game.

We did not lose because of Seth but I do not see him as a good fit with the other starters. In his 2 starts, he's been a -13 and -7 in plus/minus. So far his on/off court in those 2 starts have been a staggering -44.5.

I will repeat this again, hopefully Carlisle doesn't make the same MISTAKE going forward.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 12:22 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 04:48 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:

The starting lineup gave up a comfortable lead to start the second half, which included Seth "Starter" Curry. They were a negative 12 for a 7 minute stretch.

So what does Carlisle do for the final minutes of the game with a 5 point lead? He goes back to his starting line-up that gave up the big lead, which included Seth "Starter" Curry. Who gave up the final 3 to send the game to overtime? That's right, Seth "Starter" Curry.

I KNOW, DWIGHT HELD HIM. But look at how undisciplined Seth's defense was as he went for the block rather than stay on the ground. He doesn't jump, Green chucks a terrible shot and we win the game.

We did not lose because of Seth but I do not see him as a good fit with the other starters. In his 2 starts, he's been a -13 and -7 in plus/minus. So far his on/off court in those 2 starts have been a staggering -44.5.

I will repeat this again, hopefully Carlisle doesn't make the same MISTAKE going forward.

There were a lot of folks who were calling for this exact starting lineup as Carlisle was experimenting in the first few games.  There is some logic to putting Curry’s outside shooting with Powell and the unicorns.  DFS as the fifth starter is also logical if Curry is in as Finney’s D is needed.  Plus, it feels like the best role for both Wright and Brunson is high minute bench guard.

So, we’ve experienced this group for a whopping 23 minutes and they have a net rating of -22.  I bet that looks different after the next few games, but (VERY) early returns are a little discouraging.  Audio said it earlier, but it bears repeating.  This team is 3-2 with two close losses against good teams and isn’t anywhere near figuring it out.  KP isn’t close to what he will eventually become.  I’d argue that Luka, DFS and Wright are the only players meeting or exceeding expectations at this point.  

Part of why I’m trying to follow lineups and +/- is I’m not sure what the answer is either.  I thought it would be Wright and Jackson in the starting lineup with either Maxi or Powell. Though right now, DFS as the PF with KP has been the best match (though mainly against bench players).
Like Reply
Powell joining the team fucked messed a bit with KP I think. He is just not comfortable yet. Doesn't look like lack of skills. 

It's chemistry and will get better over time.
Like Reply
When I said Curry will get exposed this is exactly what I meant. He’s small. He’s finesse. He was overmatched. 

Sure, Howard held him. But is anyone surprised he couldn’t fight through the screen?
Like Reply
I'm more surprised they defended inside the arc at all.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 04:46 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Powell joining the team fucked a bit with KP I think. He is just not comfortable yet. Doesn't look like lack of skills. 

Please don't call yourself a Psychologist and then use the "F" word. Huh
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 02:05 AM)balldontliez Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 11:53 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 04:46 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Powell joining the team fucked a bit with KP I think. He is just not comfortable yet. Doesn't look like lack of skills. 

Please don't call yourself a Psychologist and then use the "F" word. Huh

psychologists cant cuss?

Maybe I need to hold myself to a higher standard.
Like Reply
LOL l! He's a psychologist not a preacher!
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 05:11 PM)fifteenth Wrote: LOL l! He's a psychologist not a preacher!

right? if anything he should be granted more leniency for dealing with us psychos who come to people like him with our problems hahaha
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 05:13 PM)Magickian Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 05:11 PM)fifteenth Wrote: LOL l! He's a psychologist not a preacher!

right? if anything he should be granted more leniency for dealing with us psychos who come to people like him with our problems hahaha

Psychology has its origin partly in theology though  Big Grin.

I'm not a therapist to make that clear.
Like Reply
All is good. I like the higher standard.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
Hopefully last game is the LAST time Carlisle starts Seth "Starter" Curry. Another negative performance from him (-6), and don't forget the choke job FT's that almost cost us the game. The one positive start he had was vs CLE where he was actually at a -1 until the final few minutes in garbage time where he padded his stats. 

His on/off court equals a whopping -36 as a starter. Off the bench he's at a +15.7 (on the season he's at -12.8)

He's been much better as a bench player, no idea why Carlisle insists on starting him when it hasn't worked out. The Courtney Lee experiment didn't last past 2 games. 

Hopefully, Carlisle doesn't continue to force this square peg in a round hole because Barea won't always be there to clean up the mess.
Like Reply