Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
To be fair and I am one that was high on Precious and question not giving him a look but I do think Green has the higher ceiling and upside. I think that is the case with all 3 rookies.

By the way did anyone see Tyrell Terry running the team? I know he went 0-2 but his demeanor on the court seems to be more decisive since the preseason.

I have a feeling we will know much better what our rookies look like after about 30 games.
Like Reply
I don't see the rooks playing much bc this team is deep this year. Green is the one guy that could crack the rotation.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 03:59 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't see the rooks playing much bc this team is deep this year. Green is the one guy that could crack the rotation.

They will get some playing time because the game day roster is bigger this year. Personally I would like to see Hinton instead Terry in the next couple of weeks but the Mavs probably prefer to give minutes to the guy on a guaranteed contract.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 04:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They will get some playing time because the game day roster is bigger this year. Personally I would like to see Hinton instead Terry in the next couple of weeks but the Mavs probably prefer to give minutes to the guy on a guaranteed contract.

I just think absent injury/Covid (which is definitely a possibility) you are going to see these guys mostly during garbage time.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 04:14 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I just think absent injury/Covid (which is definitely a possibility) you are going to see these guys mostly during garbage time.

Of course. Don´t think any of them will be in the go to rotation but in a normal year they wouldn´t be on the active game day roster most of the time. This year they can at least play some garbage time minutes.
Like Reply
I'm still on TeamNesmith
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 04:14 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I just think absent injury/Covid (which is definitely a possibility) you are going to see these guys mostly during garbage time.

When there are multiple back to backs in one week, I feel like we’ll see them.

(12-28-2020, 03:38 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: My best available were definitely Terry (kinda embarrassed now - kid's gonna need a lot of work), Saddiq Bey, and Achiuwa.

Not embarrassing. Flip Terry and Bey, and that’s the order I would’ve had them in. Still would, tbh.

The players who translate early aren’t always the ones you want in the end.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 04:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The players who translate early aren’t always the ones you want in the end.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 04:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 3934672.png]
Like Reply
I hate to say it, because I’ve been a fan over years 1 and 2, but I’m starting to have extremely negative feelings about Brunson. I feel like moving THJ to the bench (I know it didn’t work the first time, but I’m ready to try again) and keeping DFS/Powell at the 3/4 might be the way to go when KP comes back. 

To fill out the 9 man rotation:

Burke, THJ, Johnson and Kleber. 

Situational help from: 

Brunson, WCS and Green. 

I know many will disagree, and my opinion is based on a tiny sample size, but that’s how I’m feeling today.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 04:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The players who translate early aren’t always the ones you want in the end.

But they aren´t busts Big Grin
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 05:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I hate to say it, because I’ve been a fan over years 1 and 2, but I’m starting to have extremely negative feelings about Brunson. I feel like moving THJ to the bench (I know it didn’t work the first time, but I’m ready to try again) and keeping DFS/Powell at the 3/4 might be the way to go when KP comes back. 

To fill out the 9 man rotation:

Burke, THJ, Johnson and Kleber. 

Situational help from: 

Brunson, WCS and Green. 

I know many will disagree, and my opinion is based on a tiny sample size, but that’s how I’m feeling today.

I wouldn't be negative on Brunson.  He's always felt like a "he is what he is" type of player.  He'll hang around the league as a serviceable backup.  He'll make good and bad plays but will never be a negative overall, he'll just never be a big plus either.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 05:30 PM)cow Wrote: I wouldn't be negative on Brunson.  He's always felt like a "he is what he is" type of player.  He'll hang around the league as a serviceable backup.  He'll make good and bad plays but will never be a negative overall, he'll just never be a big plus either.

Yeah, I guess I just had higher hopes for him after his fast start.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 05:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I guess I just had higher hopes for him after his fast start.

His measurables and athleticism kept my expectations in check.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 05:41 PM)cow Wrote: His measurables and athleticism kept my expectations in check.

Yeah, but those aren’t the things holding him back, imo. It’s all decision making, which is what I believed would be his strength. 

There’s been a lot of talk of THJ shot hunting during a contract year, but my early opinion is that Brunson seems to be just as worried about Burke as THJ is about his next deal. Brunson has been making some funky, selfish decisions, imo.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 05:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, but those aren’t the things holding him back, imo. It’s all decision making, which is what I believed would be his strength. 

There’s been a lot of talk of THJ shot hunting during a contract year, but my early opinion is that Brunson seems to be just as worried about Burke as THJ is about his next deal. Brunson has been making some funky, selfish decisions, imo.

Brunson does tend to get the horse blinders on more so this season than in the past.
Like Reply
He has to take on the JJB role. He was taught by him to do so!
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 06:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He has to take on the JJB role. He was taught by him to do so!

I have a tough time envisioning Brunson ever reaching a Barea-level mastery of offensive basketball. I hope I’m wrong, though.
Like Reply
(12-28-2020, 03:59 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't see the rooks playing much bc this team is deep this year. Green is the one guy that could crack the rotation.

I think, with regard to our four rookies, that 1) 1-2 of them will be shipped out in trade by the TDL, and 2) the rest will be getting lots more minutes the rest of the year, as our one or two trades are likely to be one player for several Mavs.
Like Reply
I will say that I didn't have Green anywhere on my board. Didn't think the Mavs were really looking at him and that he'd go somewhere in the 20s. My only other claim to fame is that I said Bam Adebayo would be special. But I also said Thomas Robinson would be special too. 

So goes to show you what I know about drafting/scouting.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply