Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 5.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
91.67%
11 91.67%
Cavaliers
8.33%
1 8.33%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GAME 6: DAL (4-2) @ CLE (2-4) | 131-111 win | 3-0 on the road since 10-11
(11-02-2019, 02:52 PM)j0Shi Wrote: Things to watch:
  • Must win. Hard to say this early in the season, but the margin of error in the West is slim. Have to beat the teams you're supposed to beat.

• I calmed down from lasst night and have to say that the refs can still suck it. What a pathetic performance.

• Cavaliers are not a scary team at all, but they feature a surprisingly potent frontcourt. Both Love and Thompson have been playing well and the Cavs even give Love the playmaking opportunities that made him a beast in Minnesota.

• The only other one to contain in the starting unit is Sexton. He's a dynamic young score-first guard, but I think defensively we have plenty options to guard him.

• Our bench should dominate. Lance and Clarkson are their best guys off their bench, which is not exactly terrifying.

I really like these pre and post game Things to watch!

I agree usually with almost all the points.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I will be in attendance for this game. I'm really excited to watch Luka torch the Cavs. 

Things to note: 

1. I really hope the team has moved on from the Lakers game. It was a tough loss, which really shouldn't have been a loss had it been officiated fairly. We need to be mentally ready for this game. Cavs have some weapons and can win random games against good teams so we need to be ready. We need to argue less with refs and get back on defense. We need to focus on the current play. 

2. Cavs have a lot of waterbug guards that we need to contain. They're talented and can score (Garland, Sexton, Clarkson, Delly to an extent). They're all able to carve into the defense and shoot over our guys. Wright, Dorian and Seth's defense will be important here. 

3. Love and Thompson have been balling this year. Thompson is averaging 20ppg and 10rpg while Love is playing like Minnesota Love. KP is going to have to close out on Love and limit his 3pt shooting and long 2s. Maxi and Powell will need to do a good job of locking Thompson down and limiting his offensive rebounding. 

The Cavs aren't one of the top teams in the league but I believe they're of the status of being competitive on a nightly basis and if a team isn't ready, the Cavs can upset them. We need to keep our foot on the gas the whole way.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1191067040020336641
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]

test gif
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1191072980132073480
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 09:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I really like these pre and post game Things to watch!

Cheers!
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
Should win, but I am a bit worried about the glass in this game. I could easily see Love and Thompson bullying us there
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 04:04 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Should win, but I am a bit worried about the glass in this game. I could easily see Love and Thompson bullying us there

After the first 5-6 games Dallas ranks 6th in overall rebounding. I don't think rebounding will be a concern this season if this early measure is any worthwhile indicator.

Luka, Maxi, Dfs are great for their positions and Dallas is great in rebounding by committee thus far.

Should be fine.

I think Cleveland is a favorable matchup for us.

Biggest risk is underestimating them. They look to be a vastly different team this year but I feel that young teams tend to play up or down to their competition. 
Have not checked any data to back this up though.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 04:54 PM)Luka_Magic Wrote: Think we could rest Porzingis in this one and still win quite handily.

maybe

but a weekend game on the road can be weird.  Cleveland isn't as bad as we thought going into the season.  Wouldn't be shocked if this one is close, at least for a bit.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 04:54 PM)Luka_Magic Wrote: Think we could rest Porzingis in this one and still win quite handily.

I don't know. On the one hand I think yeah, we could rest KP and still probably win the game, but at the same time I think KP should be getting as much gametime as possible to get back into top form.

Games like this are valuable for guys working their way back into it because there is less pressure and he can find a rhythm. Plus, Cavs have been playing hard this year. None of their losses have been necessarily blowouts. Their biggest loss came against the Bucks, and even then they put up 112.

I hope the Mavs come out mad after losing to the Lakers because a loss against the Cavs would hurt 10x more, and that;s why I think KP should play.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 05:08 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: maybe

but a weekend game on the road can be weird.  Cleveland isn't as bad as we thought going into the season.  Wouldn't be shocked if this one is close, at least for a bit.

I agree. I'd be disappointed with a loss but the "must win" talk doesn't fit how the NBA works. Everyone wins some they shouldn't and loses some they shouldn't.

We're 3-2 for the first 5, now we need to be 5-3 for the first 8. But it sure would be nice to build a cushion against some of these lesser teams coming up.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 09:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 02:52 PM)j0Shi Wrote: Things to watch:
  • Must win. Hard to say this early in the season, but the margin of error in the West is slim. Have to beat the teams you're supposed to beat.

• I calmed down from lasst night and have to say that the refs can still suck it. What a pathetic performance.

• Cavaliers are not a scary team at all, but they feature a surprisingly potent frontcourt. Both Love and Thompson have been playing well and the Cavs even give Love the playmaking opportunities that made him a beast in Minnesota.

• The only other one to contain in the starting unit is Sexton. He's a dynamic young score-first guard, but I think defensively we have plenty options to guard him.

• Our bench should dominate. Lance and Clarkson are their best guys off their bench, which is not exactly terrifying.

I really like these pre and post game Things to watch!

Yup Joshi is a great poster on multiple Mavs forums. Are you still a journalist in some capacity btw?
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 05:08 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:

maybe

Little worried if Maxi doesn't play bc I think he can make Love's life hard and if he's out then we could have a tough time with Love. Cavs roster does not scare me all but you never know.
Like Reply
It's funny that so many of us have an eerie feeling about this game. Gut instincts. 

Nothing is given in the NBA. I mean the Mavs had trouble putting away below average teams like the Wiz and Pelicans too. So against the Cavs on the road after a tough, physical, overtime battle 2 days ago, who knows. But this is definitely a game we SHOULD win, no excuses.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 06:05 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: It's funny that so many of us have an eerie feeling about this game. Gut instincts. 

Nothing is given in the NBA. I mean the Mavs had trouble putting away below average teams like the Wiz and Pelicans too. So against the Cavs on the road after a tough, physical, overtime battle 2 days ago, who knows. But this is definitely a game we SHOULD win, no excuses.

I'm still most worried about Luka's head. I still think he shouldn't have played after his knock on the head. He clearly didn't look right. Otherwise we would have had a chance in OT.
Mavs medical staff made a mistake from my armchair position.
Concussions are nothing to joke about, were empathized during my masters degree as well.

https://youtu.be/Io6hPdC41RM
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 06:05 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: It's funny that so many of us have an eerie feeling about this game. Gut instincts. 

I have that feeling after Kleber is confirmed to be out. Don't like that.

Powell hasn't played well so far. Hopefully Love doesn't go off.
Like Reply
Should get a win here tonight.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...4594743301

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/11...6306744321
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 05:56 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Yup Joshi is a great poster on multiple Mavs forums. Are you still a journalist in some capacity btw?

No, I'm a full stack web developer. Covering sports was fun, but really just something I only did as a side gig for a solid 4-5 years.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 07:20 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...4594743301

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/11...6306744321

Makes he hopeful that Luka plays a bit off ball.

Let's gooo
Like Reply