Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Plan
Okay, so there seem to be some concerns about this place. I will try to address them all. 

1) I can and will keep this site going, regardless. 

2) We can also get some advertising going on too. I already have google bots crawling the site and indexing it... so that means it did good enough in its first few days that even google was already indexing. (which means putting it into google search engines)

3) The Mods. Kamm seems to be doing just fine here. Mak was going to help me and us get this combined with Fish, originally. I made him mod as he was at the last site, and the plan was to incorporate... .THEN I haven't heard back from Fish since, and the Maven site took down our link and added their own db.com boards section that is just more of the same. So I am not sure what Mak wants to do, or if he is similarly trying to figure this out like I am. We can get more Mods and/or alter the mods... If YOU want to be a Mod and think you can be fair and help keep things tidy? Let me know and we can probably work it out. 

4) I was trying to do this for and with Fish... IDK if he wants to do this, or if it is out of his hands due to SI... I will wait a little bit longer to see what the gameplan is... after that we may have to just keep this entirely separate and get a new logo, etc. I just initially was trying to help and make this for him, so I am not trying to be a Benedict Arnold or something... but I will do what is best for the community overall... which I figure he would to, and he may still pull off with us... but if not? Then we can and will still standalone and can generate traffic, and get ads, and SEO, and all that jazz. 

5) I tried to add a chat, but the one I did, wasn't good. It wanted us to pay for a subscription model, and so I removed it. I will try to find another chat room, and set it up soon.

[Image: dallasforum.png]

And look... google for dallas basketball forums and we show up on the second page of google already... thats only within a few days too... So give it more time, and more hits, and actual SEO/ads to help generate more traffic? and we might get ourselves onto the first page and up at the top of the google search lists
Like Reply
It's okay about the chat, I always preferred the classic gamethreads
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
If the community stays here as separate then I will also...

I appreciate everythimg you have done Magic...your work is awesome and you have kept us informed the whole time...

If the Community doesn't want me as a Mod I have no issues stepping down...at the end of the day I want to enjoy the thoughts, knowledge, and posts as always this Community has provided me...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 12:44 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: If the Community doesn't want me as a Mod I have no issues stepping down.

nah man I don't think anyone has a problem with you as a Mod. I only seen a few complaints about Mak(and I half think thats just joking most of the time, idk). I gave mod status to Dahlsim, Mak, Kamm, and you Clutch. I am the only admin so far... 

I did this because Fish mentioned Mak and Dahlsim and so I was bringing them on and they were Mods over at the other site too I believe. They both are cool to me, and I see no problems they couldn't stay mods... but if they were not wanting to be here, and stay over at maven, then they don't have to stay mods... I mean its kind of up to them.
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 12:58 PM)Magickian Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 12:44 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: If the Community doesn't want me as a Mod I have no issues stepping down.

nah man I don't think anyone has a problem with you as a Mod. I only seen a few complaints about Mak(and I half think thats just joking most of the time, idk). I gave mod status to Dahlsim, Mak, Kamm, and you Clutch. I am the only admin so far... 

I did this because Fish mentioned Mak and Dahlsim and so I was bringing them on and they were Mods over at the other site too I believe. They both are cool to me, and I see no problems they couldn't stay mods... but if they were not wanting to be here, and stay over at maven, then they don't have to stay mods... I mean its kind of up to them.
Just giving the Community a chance in case some don't want me as a Mod...
Like Reply
Thanks for all the clear communication!
Like Reply
Yeah I support Kammrath and ClutchDirk as mods, I'm willing to bury the hatchet and let bygones be bygones with Mak if he sticks around as a poster. But based on recent developments the other place seems to not take too kindly to this board or me so they would probably ban me first chance they got should they ever seize control of this board. I post in other places too so I'll be fine but my personal vote is to not mod the people running the other place. But I will ultimately go along with whatever the community decides 
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 01:24 PM)robillionaire Wrote: Yeah I support Kammrath and ClutchDirk as mods, I'm willing to bury the hatchet and let bygones be bygones with Mak if he sticks around as a poster. But based on recent developments the other place seems to not take too kindly to this board or me so they would probably ban me first chance they got should they ever seize control of this board. I post in other places too so I'll be fine but my personal vote is to not mod the people running the other place. But I will ultimately go along with whatever the community decides 
I will not ban you because of the past...I only ban based on the present and if said poster goes too far...and before I do I would seek the opinions of the other Mods and not base it on my opinion alone...

Welcome to the board...

Also Fish is making regular visits here...I found out how to keep track of last logins...about 3 hours ago was the last visit...

We need a new banner if there are folks who can make one...
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 12:09 PM)Magickian Wrote: 3) The Mods. Kamm seems to be doing just fine here. Mak was going to help me and us get this combined with Fish, originally. I made him mod as he was at the last site, and the plan was to incorporate... .THEN I haven't heard back from Fish since, and the Maven site took down our link and added their own db.com boards section that is just more of the same. So I am not sure what Mak wants to do, or if he is similarly trying to figure this out like I am. We can get more Mods and/or alter the mods... If YOU want to be a Mod and think you can be fair and help keep things tidy? Let me know and we can probably work it out. 

I'd be a mod just to get the cool purple lettering.

That and I think I'm an easy-going impartial dude and I'm always on here. Let me know if thats enough or if Mak is still going to be around. 
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 02:40 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 12:09 PM)Magickian Wrote: 3) The Mods. Kamm seems to be doing just fine here. Mak was going to help me and us get this combined with Fish, originally. I made him mod as he was at the last site, and the plan was to incorporate... .THEN I haven't heard back from Fish since, and the Maven site took down our link and added their own db.com boards section that is just more of the same. So I am not sure what Mak wants to do, or if he is similarly trying to figure this out like I am. We can get more Mods and/or alter the mods... If YOU want to be a Mod and think you can be fair and help keep things tidy? Let me know and we can probably work it out. 

I'd be a mod just to get the cool purple lettering.

That and I think I'm an easy-going impartial dude and I'm always on here. Let me know if thats enough or if Mak is still going to be around. 
+41

Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 12:57 PM)I balldontliez Wrote: i have no problems with mak being a mod either, but as a mod at theMaven as well, could present a conflict of interest since fish and his two man crew have recently made clear they are all out on a separate board, as i predicted. they are under contract and need the ad traffic there. maybe mak can clarify which direction he'd rather pursue, but im kinda wary of having one foot on each side. 

To clarify — I am not under any sort of “contract” with Fish, SI, or anyone else. I’m a 100% volunteer that just wants good Mavs / basketball discussion.

(09-22-2019, 01:24 PM)robillionaire Wrote: Yeah I support Kammrath and ClutchDirk as mods, I'm willing to bury the hatchet and let bygones be bygones with Mak if he sticks around as a poster. But based on recent developments the other place seems to not take too kindly to this board or me so they would probably ban me first chance they got should they ever seize control of this board. I post in other places too so I'll be fine but my personal vote is to not mod the people running the other place. But I will ultimately go along with whatever the community decides 

I wasn’t aware we had a hatchet to bury but am glad it’s buried, I guess. I have been willing to be the ‘bad guy’ on the front lines that publicly pushes the ban buttons but I hope people realize that those decisions are almost never independent. I will just say that I am not the owner of any message board and the ultimate decision of who participates and to what capacity is always ultimately dependent on the owner — in the past, the present, and the future. 

In the ideal scenario, I think there’s almost never a need to ban anyone and the technology / features of a forum should allow people to police themselves and each other.
Like Reply
(09-23-2019, 08:32 AM)Mak Wrote: that just wants good Mavs / basketball discussion.

I just hope here, you will be a contributor to this statement. I've seen enough of it from you to know that you can do it. If not, I hope the mods fall under the same set of rules as the posters do.
Like Reply
You think you can just use the Nuremberg defense and get let off the hook for what you did  huh? 

Well you’re right. New board fresh start all is forgiven  Big Grin
Like Reply
(09-23-2019, 08:57 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 08:32 AM)Mak Wrote: that just wants good Mavs / basketball discussion.

I just hope here, you will be a contributor to this statement. I've seen enough of it from you to know that you can do it. If not, I hope the mods fall under the same set of rules as the posters do.
I believe us Mods should also be held accountable just the same as the posters...
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 12:09 PM)Magickian Wrote: ... I am not sure what Mak wants to do, or if he is similarly trying to figure this out like I am. 

I’m figuring things out, like probably most everyone else. 

FWIW — I don’t have a particular passion for moderating discussion. In fact, I’ve come to actively dislike many aspects of it. I’ve mostly done it simply because all the previous mods got burnt out eventually and it’s tough to find consistent, active replacements.

If Clutch & Kamm are happy and willing to be active moderators, imo that’s probably more than enough for what is / should be needed. Ideally, a good forum has great ignore / mute functionality and other tools which make moderation not very necessary anyway. 

This is great for people / posters overall who can then control more of their own voice instead of feeling someone else is dictating it for them and also great for the folks (mods) who sign up to simply help improve / sustain something they enjoy but then end up getting burnt out, frustrated, and obligated over something which they originally considered a positive hobby. 

I originally volunteered for DBcom / Fish over a decade ago when I was student majoring in computer science + business information systems management, w/ a minor in journalism. I like tech, analytics, and writing — to give ya a sense of where I’m comin from. 

For help with tech stuff that’s not related to Mavs / basketball (I.E. my ‘real’ life) — I usually charge by the hour for consulting or agree to an annual salary. For the Mavs, I’m more willing to ‘volunteer’ for free because it’s something I’ve been doing essentially as a kid and enjoy participating (as a fan) on a virtually daily basis. If there’s any ill will or complaints or whatever, I’m happy to back off and step away. 

Overall, I’m much more interested in growing and optimizing a basketball site and community from a admin / technology / analytics / backend perspective than as a moderator. I did more of the non-mod stuff with DB.com when it was independent until we helped it grow to the point of getting partnered with FS, CBS, SI, etc. and have done much more with tech related to other industries so I think I can make some decent contributions but I hope there’s isn’t any inclusion of me in anything simply because anyone feels obligated to do it. 

I’m happy to help in anyway I can or is needed (for Fish, for Magick, and / or anyone else building a good place to talk Mavs and Basketball) but my personal preference is something along the lines of (1) admin / tech (2) content creation (3) mostly hands off backup / emergency mod.
Like Reply
(09-23-2019, 10:48 AM)Mak Wrote: If Clutch & Kamm are happy and willing to be active moderators, imo that’s probably more than enough for what is / should be needed. Ideally, a good forum has great ignore / mute functionality and other tools which make moderation not very necessary anyway. 

This is great for people / posters overall who can then control more of their own voice instead of feeling someone else is dictating it for them and also great for the folks (mods) who sign up to simply help improve / sustain something they enjoy but then end up getting burnt out, frustrated, and obligated over something which they originally considered a positive hobby. 

I originally volunteered for DBcom / Fish over a decade ago when I was student majoring in computer science + business information systems management, w/ a minor in journalism. I like tech, analytics, and writing — to give ya a sense of where I’m comin from. 

For help with tech stuff that’s not related to Mavs / basketball (I.E. my ‘real’ life) — I usually charge by the hour for consulting or agree to an annual salary. For the Mavs, I’m more willing to ‘volunteer’ for free because it’s something I’ve been doing essentially as a kid and enjoy participating (as a fan) on a virtually daily basis. If there’s any ill will or complaints or whatever, I’m happy to back off and step away. 

Overall, I’m much more interested in growing and optimizing a basketball site and community from a admin / technology / analytics / backend perspective than as a moderator. I did more of the non-mod stuff with DB.com when it was independent until we helped it grow to the point of getting partnered with FS, CBS, SI, etc. and have done much more with tech related to other industries so I think I can make some decent contributions but I hope there’s isn’t any inclusion of me in anything simply because anyone feels obligated to do it. 

I’m happy to help in anyway I can or is needed (for Fish, for Magick, and / or anyone else building a good place to talk Mavs and Basketball) but my personal preference is something along the lines of (1) admin / tech (2) content creation (3) mostly hands off backup / emergency mod.

Thanks for all this, Mak. 

I 100% support you as mod if you want that as I feel you have never abused that power. (Your schtick is a whole other conversation  Tongue ).

But what I hear from you in this post is that you would probably prefer not to mod and to help with other things. I think if that is the case, your request should be honored. I think we have the mod thing covered here for the time being and we could always call on you if needed.
Like Reply
We are severely lacking on Devin Harris analysis though
Like Reply
I dunno how interested Magick is in setting up more analytics and metrics and whatnot for this site but from what I had access to in previous versions of db.com ... certain ‘schticks’ for lack of a better term, when done right, can be very beneficial and healthy to encouraging participation and increasing views (which ultimately increases the size / scope of contributors overall and imo leads to higher quality, more diverse  discussion). 

Just my 2cents but as long as the ‘schticks’ er, i mean hyperbolic controversial opinions or devil’s advocate arguments, aren’t personally attacking anyone or being overly abusive, violent, inflammatory, etc I think they’re mostly a good thing =D
Like Reply
(09-23-2019, 12:12 PM)Mak Wrote: I dunno how interested Magick is in setting up more analytics and metrics and whatnot for this site but from what I had access to in previous versions of db.com ... certain ‘schticks’ for lack of a better term, when done right, can be very beneficial and healthy to encouraging participation and increasing views (which ultimately increases the size / scope of contributors overall and imo leads to higher quality, more diverse  discussion). 

Just my 2cents but as long as the ‘schticks’ er, i mean hyperbolic controversial opinions or devil’s advocate arguments, aren’t personally attacking anyone or being overly abusive, violent, inflammatory, etc I think they’re mostly a good thing =D
tbh Mak I like when folks are going back and forth. I find it fun. 

I have thick skin so I don't take things personally. I do enjoy when things get a little heated, so long as everyone is respectful for the most part I guess. 

I agree with you Mak that most message boards police themselves. Mods are good to have for the hours I am busy and just in case we get hacked or get spammed or just get someone being absolutely obnoxious and a real problem... outside of those extreme scenarios? I think we mostly will be fine without anyone actually needing to mod anything. 

I am a bit confused as to whether or not you do actually want to mod here. You are more than welcome to and have always been cool with me, so you can remain one, or I can remove you as one if you think you would just rather not. The decision is yours, Sir. 

So yeah I like "trolling" and joking about things. I think it is fun and funny and yeah I agree it often does spark up a genuine conversation. I think most of us know it is shtick and for fun, and then sometimes, we are left wondering, (is he for real?) and that is fun too haha

All I know is where Fish is concerned, I feel bad as this was truly originally intended just to help him... I figured they would want to work with this, and we could have even moved the boards to their servers so they get all the hits and I no longer run it at all, we just transfer the database and move the files over...

but it seems that wont be the case... I just hope he knows this was only with the intentions to help... but it seems silly to take this place down now... so idk what to do about that. He just called me, while I was in a class. I am about to hop back into another and will call him later to find out what is the new update
Like Reply
I'd say don't worry to much and just speak to him.

I truly believe in your best intentions and to be fair: his non-commuication just caused the whole situation, so he can't even blame you.

Also, I truly believe he would still support this here as an coexisting site.

And who knows: maybe there is at least a longterm solution possible. His contract at Maven doesn't last forever. Maybe it's possible to plan a reunion Of him and the community in the near future and use the time until then to built a place that offers both: a place that offers everything we as the community is looking for regarding Mavs Conversations and also a possibility for him to get paid out of the traffic.

If this would somehow be feasible, he could be independent and thus doesn't need to move constantly and ultimately we as the community can stay in this house. Man this would be great!
Like Reply