Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Anyone else concerned about Porzingis?
Porzingis didn't have a bad game. That said he was on the stage with three of the best five players in basketball and it was clear, he's not at that level. Lebron, AD and Doncic are MVP caliber players. 

KP looked a little ..."deer in the headlights"

But I'm not surprised. This was perhaps the biggest game in KP's career. Nationally televised, Lakers, Lebron & AD, bright spotlights. He'll learn from this and be better for it when the playoffs arrive.
Like Reply
I think the presence of Powell also confused Porzingis. Actually the Zinger seems rather in a waiting position and looks how to fit in. He does not display an aggressive dominant personality to me. He hasn't arrived yet.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 10:27 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: He does not display an aggressive dominant personality to me

It's got to be a little humbling playing with Doncic.
Like Reply
Give this time...he will get more comfortable and Carlisle maximizes most players and uses their strengths to the team's advantage...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 11:58 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: He has potential to be a very good player, but maybe not great.  He has a bit of awkwardness to his game and tries to do too much. Rebound, defense, spot up threes, and one quick move should be his trademarks.  He can even shoot over people.  But, when he tries to put the ball on the floor or make elaborate moves on offense, or even post up. . . disaster.  He’s definitely not a closer like AD.  On the plus side, he’s a better defender than people think.  He does share the ball.  Seems like a good teammate.  I think he’s probably closer to third wheel than second.  If he can simplify and refine his game, maybe he becomes a true Robin.

KP's much closer to a Josh Howard or Michael Finley.   

His shot selection needs to drastically improve; he's trying to play like Durant but isn't the scorer he is. I wish he settled for cleaner 3's rather than pulling up, chucking them with a hand in his face early in the shot clock. If that's part of Carlisle's offense then something needs to change. 

He definitely needs to work on his post game; that's why you have a big, to have an inside presence of some kind. Too much perimeter oriented.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 12:48 AM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote: All the Dirk comparisons have set expectations extremely high for KP. I don't think he'll ever be that dominant, but he's definitely capable of becoming a great #2 option over the next few years.

TBH, that's what people used to say about Dirk.

(11-02-2019, 11:02 AM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 10:27 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: He does not display an aggressive dominant personality to me

It's got to be a little humbling playing with Doncic.

This. TBH, I thought like KP looked like a big p-word in the second half last night. One thing I noticed is that, his role is as a weak-side defender, but he seemed frequently scared to leave his man to defend the shot. There were at least three-five instances in the second half where he didn't challenge the shooter at the rim in a post-up situation, when he could have clearly had a block with one step and a challenge. I don't know what's going on with him psychologically, but I hope Luka gave him an earful after the game. Good news is we have a good stretch of cupcakes for him to get things right. Overall, that aside, I think the comments in this thread about adjusting to his role on on-point.
Like Reply
Definitive statements about what KP is or will be based on 5 games with a new team after all that time off.; Brilliant
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 01:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Definitive statements about what KP is or will be based on 5 games with a new team after all that time off.; Brilliant

What are you talking about? Almost nobody makes definite statements about what he will be.

The recent discussion revolves around explanations for his struggles and describing the situation. 

That's reasonable to do isn't it? 

I mean we do not impact him or the game anyway. We discuss and analyze for fun.

Sure some people make weird hot takes, some reasonable takes will not be agreed upon, whatever.

I like a lively discussion employing a multitude of perspectives.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 01:29 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 01:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Definitive statements about what KP is or will be based on 5 games with a new team after all that time off.; Brilliant

What are you talking about? Almost nobody makes definite statements about what he will be.

The recent discussion revolves about explanations for his struggles and describing the situation. 

That's reasonable to do isn't it? 

I mean we do not impact him or the game anyway. We discuss and analyze for fun.

Sure some people make weird hot takes, some reasonable takes will not be agreed upon, whatever.

I like a lively discussion employing a multitude of perspectives.

He was referring to Balldontliez comment above.
Like Reply
What did he even say I can only see citations in his post.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 01:34 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: What did he even say I can only see citations in his post.

He evidently edited out his dismissal of KP as "Chandler Parsons 2.0." Edit: nope, still there. "ok, I will tell it. Kristaps is past his prime.
the dude folded like a lawn chair last night. He looked scared out there. Played soft. 
im afraid we’ve been Chandler Parsons’d again. The great white nopes. He doesn’t look like a potential superstar max contract franchise player. Any dirk comparison is laughable. People forget how mentally and physically tough dirk was, especially from 2005-2015. I think a realistic expectation for KP at this point Is 19 and 7." 
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 01:40 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 01:34 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: What did he even say I can only see citations in his post.

He evidently edited out his dismissal of KP as "Chandler Parsons 2.0." Edit: nope, still there. "ok, I will tell it. Kristaps is past his prime.
the dude folded like a lawn chair last night. He looked scared out there. Played soft. 
im afraid we’ve been Chandler Parsons’d again. The great white nopes. He doesn’t look like a potential superstar max contract franchise player. Any dirk comparison is laughable. People forget how mentally and physically tough dirk was, especially from 2005-2015. I think a realistic expectation for KP at this point Is 19 and 7." 

Wow ok, I use the light theme and apparently he was using white font so I was unable to see/read what he wrote.
Like Reply
@Psych

He has potential to be a very good player, but maybe not great. 

I think he’s probably closer to third wheel than second. 

KP's much closer to a Josh Howard or Michael Finley

(11-02-2019, 01:30 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: He was referring to Balldontliez comment above.

No, I hadn't seen that yet. But I'd call bdl's critique premature as well.

Psych, of course people can say what they want. And that includes commenting about the comments.

Don't mind me though. I end up at the beginning of every season thinking that everyone is rushing to judge everything too quickly.
Like Reply
People need to slow down. Give it time. He still looks pretty good even as is. I suspect you'd see even better production if he got more minutes. AD + LeBron played a total of 11 minutes more than KP/Luka. That is a lot of time. Mavs are more careful with our guys minutes, especially KP and I think it will pay off over time. AD is an injury waiting to happen. Lakers will rack up wins in the short term but the first time he has a 4 week injury they are in trouble.
Like Reply
Not worried outside injuries.  He needs to stay healthy, but Casey will be on top of it. Any player with a injury history is a concern,  example,  AD.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 02:18 AM)balldontliez Wrote: sounds like you rush to judge too quickly everyone that is is rushing to judge and may be proven right at the end of the season

Yeah, that sounds like me  Blush
Like Reply
I remember that a big number of Mavs fans wanted to trade Dirk in the mid 2000s because he was a soft euro that couldn´t get it done in the playoffs.
Completly agree with 15th on this topic. Wait and see. In theory we could finish the season 80-2 or 3-79. No reason to make final judgements on players in early november.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 11:50 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 11:58 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: He has potential to be a very good player, but maybe not great.  He has a bit of awkwardness to his game and tries to do too much. Rebound, defense, spot up threes, and one quick move should be his trademarks.  He can even shoot over people.  But, when he tries to put the ball on the floor or make elaborate moves on offense, or even post up. . . disaster.  He’s definitely not a closer like AD.  On the plus side, he’s a better defender than people think.  He does share the ball.  Seems like a good teammate.  I think he’s probably closer to third wheel than second.  If he can simplify and refine his game, maybe he becomes a true Robin.

KP's much closer to a Josh Howard or Michael Finley.   

His shot selection needs to drastically improve; he's trying to play like Durant but isn't the scorer he is. I wish he settled for cleaner 3's rather than pulling up, chucking them with a hand in his face early in the shot clock. If that's part of Carlisle's offense then something needs to change. 

He definitely needs to work on his post game; that's why you have a big, to have an inside presence of some kind. Too much perimeter oriented.

Nail, head.  Exclamation

In situation like the LA Lebrons game with refs allowing so many fouls from the Lakers especially, KP was trying to get high % shots closer to the rim.  In many cases that would make sense but not in this case. 

He just needed to take his clean looks from 3 and from mid-range using his 7'3" vantage point in the sky and if he's already near the rim don't bring the ball down for them swipe at it.. 

In that sense both of KP and Boban could have ate the Lakers lunch with easy looks they can't really guard, should have been enough to stay ahead and hold a lead. 
FUNdamentals.  KP will be just fine.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 09:35 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: KP's much closer to a Josh Howard or Michael Finley.   

Now THATS a take.

I vehemently disagree. Neither J-Ho or Fin ever averaged anything close to KP, nor were as complete as a player as KP is. The only time either of them were close to KP was Fin in 1999-00, putting up up 22 and 6.

KP is a legit franchise cornerstone, that just so happens to play with another franchise cornerstone. KP is also playing himself into game shape and no matter how much he trained over this summer, he's still going to need to shake off the rust. I find it remarkable that after 1 year and 8 months, KP is averaging 21ppg, 8rpg, and 2bpg. I cannot wait till he gets more comfortable and him and Luka build chemistry. 

I think his shot selection is what it is currently because those are the shots he's being asked to take. Carlisle wants KP to take these long 3's, because he can. It forces defenses to stay honest. I would prefer KP to get more opportunities in the mid range, but I think KP should be taking close to 6-7 3's a game, and to think he can get 6-7 clean 3's a game is near impossible given how much attention he rightfully gets from defenses.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-03-2019, 02:15 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:35 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: KP's much closer to a Josh Howard or Michael Finley.   

Now THATS a take.

I vehemently disagree. Neither J-Ho or Fin ever averaged anything close to KP, nor were as complete as a player as KP is. The only time either of them were close to KP was Fin in 1999-00, putting up up 22 and 6.

KP is a legit franchise cornerstone, that just so happens to play with another franchise cornerstone. KP is also playing himself into game shape and no matter how much he trained over this summer, he's still going to need to shake off the rust. I find it remarkable that after 1 year and 8 months, KP is averaging 21ppg, 8rpg, and 2bpg. I cannot wait till he gets more comfortable and him and Luka build chemistry. 

I think his shot selection is what it is currently because those are the shots he's being asked to take. Carlisle wants KP to take these long 3's, because he can. It forces defenses to stay honest. I would prefer KP to get more opportunities in the mid range, but I think KP should be taking close to 6-7 3's a game, and to think he can get 6-7 clean 3's a game is near impossible given how much attention he rightfully gets from defenses.

People are overreacting way too early in the season. To suggest that he's more Michael Finley or Josh Howard is really underselling the talent he has. The guy is getting re-acclimated into the league after being out for 2 years, and is having to learn how to play with someone like Luka, which is he also not familiar with.

Like you say, he's easily a franchise player. No amount of practice is going to recreate the same experience they get by playing in actual games, so no reason to expect that even being here last year means he is going to be completely integrated into the offense. He's going to have to continue working with Luka and RC to figure out the best way to get him the shots he needs, especially now with some real games under his belt.  

We must give this duo time for their potential to blossom.
Like Reply