Poll: Should Seth Curry start?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, he should start & finish and get 30+ min
40.00%
16 40.00%
No, but he should always finish
15.00%
6 15.00%
No, he's a role player. He should finish when he's hot; otherwise, he should sit.
45.00%
18 45.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Curry start?
Seems like the perfect question for a poll.

Personally, this topic has driven me nuts going back to the offseason. I see Seth Curry as a fantastic backup. He's an elite shooter and crafty playmaker. He has a nice handle. And according to recent reports, he's a much improved defender. 

He's also a small, finesse, injury prone, poor rebounding off-guard. 

Most importantly, he's SETH Curry. 

IMHO he will get exposed if he's overused, but I love him in an 18-20 minute roll off the bench.

Of course I realize there are a ton of people who actually think he should be a 30+ minute starter. 

So, what do you think?
Like Reply
Probably off the bench makes most sense, but I know I want him finishing the majority of games 
Somewhere closer to 25 minutes a night to keep him healthy
Like Reply
I don't care if it's in a starting role but he needs more minutes and shots.
Like Reply
I think he should close but I don't think he should play starter minutes.
Like Reply
(10-29-2019, 06:26 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Seems like the perfect question for a poll.

Personally, this topic has driven me nuts going back to the offseason. I see Seth Curry as a fantastic backup. He's an elite shooter and crafty playmaker. He has a nice handle. And according to recent reports, he's a much improved defender. 

He's also a small, finesse, injury prone, poor rebounding off-guard. 

Most importantly, he's SETH Curry. 

IMHO he will get exposed if he's overused, but I love him in an 18-20 minute roll off the bench.

Of course I realize there are a ton of people who actually think he should be a 30+ minute starter. 

So, what do you think?

When he replaced Matthews he played so we'll Rick couldn't take him out of the starting lineup.
Like Reply
But that team was terrible
Like Reply
Starter?  Maybe.  30 minutes per?  Lol.  I have no category to select in this pole.  He and Jalen probably should split 48 minutes down the middle, with Curry playing more with the starters and Jalen leading the Bench Mob.
Like Reply
I voted yes but really it doesn't matter as long as he is getting the minutes. He isnt as good but needs to be used like we did with Jet all those years. Terry was a 6th man type but played in all key moments and ended up usually looks at stats like he was a starter. I'm so excited about this team
Like Reply
I'm in the camp of Curry should usually finish the game, but shouldn't necessarily always start. 

I believe our best finishing lineup is Luka/Wright/----/KP/Maxi. That blank space can be 1 of either Curry, Brunson, or DFS, and depending on the situation its justifiable that any 1 of those 3 should be in there. 

If Curry is hot, he should get the nod. More defense needed? DFS would be great to put in. Need a steady hand to lead the offense? Brunson's the guy. 

This Mavs team is surprising me with just how deep they are, and like someone else put it the answer "who's the 3rd guy" might be everyone.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Curry should definitely get 20-25 minutes per game. I don't think he should start on a consistent basis but I would be ok with him starting against certain teams. I think his minutes should be staggered to where he and Brunson aren't playing together often. This is a big team and there's no reason to go small when you don't have to.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 11:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm in the camp of Curry should usually finish the game, but shouldn't necessarily always start. 

I believe our best finishing lineup is Luka/Wright/----/KP/Maxi. That blank space can be 1 of either Curry, Brunson, or DFS, and depending on the situation its justifiable that any 1 of those 3 should be in there. 

If Curry is hot, he should get the nod. More defense needed? DFS would be great to put in. Need a steady hand to lead the offense? Brunson's the guy. 

This Mavs team is surprising me with just how deep they are, and like someone else put it the answer "who's the 3rd guy" might be everyone.

This makes sense. I think it might be that Wright, Maxi, Curry, Brunson, DFS are all in the pool for 3 closers.
Like Reply
All good points. If I could re-do the poll I'd definitely add some more options. 

I'm coming around to a 20-24+ minute roll, starting & closing situationally. 

He's a platoon guard.
Like Reply
8 mins to start the 1st to help get us off to a great offensive start.
8 mins to start the 3rd to help us get off to a great post half offensive start.
8 mins to end the game.

I like TItY's idea of Brunson splitting those minutes. Although I don't think Curry getting a straight 8 mins to end the game will ever happen, so he and JB split 4th minutes evenly.
Like Reply
I think one of Luka or Brunson should always be on the floor. I think Curry could play with either. Both Seth and Brunson are good defenders actually, so I don't think having them on the floor together is a problem.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 12:01 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think one of Luka or Brunson should always be on the floor. I think Curry could play with either.

Yes, Brunson isn't nearly as good without the "keys" to the offense. He needs to be staggered with Luka. Curry plays very well off the ball but can also run a great pick and roll, so he should play WITH Luka as often as possible. Luka needs Seth on the floor to space as a catch and shoot guy.
Like Reply
Curry's historical lack of durability indicates we don't need to overuse him. 

I think he might be good as an occasional starter, but his main role should be off the bench, when we need somebody that can hit the three ball.

The cool thing is, he's good at a lot of stuff. Crafty around the basket, good passer, good handles, and above average on defense. 

So, most games, be in the first group off the bench, play quite a bit in the third and close. Keep his minutes to about 25 per game.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 01:19 PM)embellisher Wrote: Curry's historical lack of durability indicates we don't need to overuse him. 

I think he might be good as an occasional starter, but his main role should be off the bench, when we need somebody that can hit the three ball.

The cool thing is, he's good at a lot of stuff. Crafty around the basket, good passer, good handles, and above average on defense. 

So, most games, be in the first group off the bench, play quite a bit in the third and close. Keep his minutes to about 25 per game.

this is pretty much a perfect Seth post, imhofwiw
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 01:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote: this is pretty much a perfect Seth post, imhofwiw

You're too kind.  Big Grin
Like Reply

(10-30-2019, 01:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 01:19 PM)embellisher Wrote: Curry's historical lack of durability indicates we don't need to overuse him. 

this is pretty much a perfect Seth post, imhofwiw

Disagree 

The words "starter" and "bench player" no longer exclusively mean playing time.  They are dictated by matchups.  Lou Williams and Montrez Harrell are "bench players" in the traditional lineup sense but they're the 3rd and 4th best players on the Clippers.  They come off the bench so they can destroy opposing benches.

Curry's biggest strength is his shooting.  He's most likely to get open shots playing with Luka.  I don't care if he technically starts or comes off the bench.  He should play with Luka as much as possible.  So if he plays 20 minutes a game, I want pretty much all 20 to be with Luka.

Wright is going to play more and he will play both with and without Luka on the floor.  But he's very good with the ball in his hands.  So whenever Luka is off the floor, Wright should be in the game.  So he could get 12-14 minutes a game when Luka is sitting and 12-14 minutes a game with Luka.

So in my scenario, Curry is the "starter" but he is only playing 20 minutes a game and Wright is a "bench player" but is logging 26-28 minutes a game.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 03:25 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Disagree 

The words "starter" and "bench player" no longer exclusively mean playing time.  They are dictated by matchups.  Lou Williams and Montrez Harrell are "bench players" in the traditional lineup sense but they're the 3rd and 4th best players on the Clippers.  They come off the bench so they can destroy opposing benches.

Curry's biggest strength is his shooting.  He's most likely to get open shots playing with Luka.  I don't care if he technically starts or comes off the bench.  He should play with Luka as much as possible.  So if he plays 20 minutes a game, I want pretty much all 20 to be with Luka.

Wright is going to play more and he will play both with and without Luka on the floor.  But he's very good with the ball in his hands.  So whenever Luka is off the floor, Wright should be in the game.  So he could get 12-14 minutes a game when Luka is sitting and 12-14 minutes a game with Luka.

So in my scenario, Curry is the "starter" but he is only playing 20 minutes a game and Wright is a "bench player" but is logging 26-28 minutes a game.

I agree regarding the starter/bench titles. Nothing new for Mavs, really. We spent years watching our second best offensive player come off the bench and then close games. 

I don't hate what you're saying about Seth. But I think his offensive game is more multidimensional than you suggest. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't play with Luka. In fact, since Wright and Brunson both need the ball more than Seth, you could argue that out of the those three, Seth fits best with Luka. But, Brunson gets open looks for folks too, and Delon's defense fits well with Luka. I think the most important  think about those four is to stagger Luka and Brunson. And then I can see Seth and Delon each fitting well with either of our primary ball handlers. 

Where I diverge most with your post is that the only reason I can see to limit Seth to 20 minutes is if he needs that in order to remain healthy for the season.
Like Reply