Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
(08-29-2020, 08:12 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 08:07 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: 2 worst defenders on that starting unit are on the perimeter in Luka and THJ.

Luka is not playing PG on defense. He is guarding even PF, like Morris against Clippers. DFS-Hardaway is the defensive guard rotation against teams with good guards, with DFS taking the toughest assignment.
We don’t do a ton of matching up defense which is why I said perimeter defense. Marcus Morris mainly sits on the perimeter and waits for the ball to be kicked out to him.
Like Reply
(08-29-2020, 07:29 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I wonder how much Luka's quick emergence has changed the team's thinking.  A normal player development timeline might have argued for some team building patience.  But, Luka blew away that timeline and became a top 5-6 player overnight.  Between that and uncertainty around the cap, I'd argue now is the time to pounce.  Not 21 or 22.

Here's a "too lazy to look it up" question for everyone...If we traded 31 for a 2023 first round pick (presumably protected in some fashion), we would then have picks in 22, 23 and 24.  Once the 21 draft is done, can we trade 22 and 24 as part of some huge sign and trade during 21 free agency?  We would still have picks in 23 and 25, they just wouldn't be our picks.

Count me out on the MLE for Burke.  Count me out for half the MLE for Burke (unless only one year is guaranteed).  Vet Min?  Yes.  $3mm portion of the MLE (and we spend the other $7 million on someone else)?  Yes.  D is a huge hole for this team.  Starting Young with DFS helps the starters.  Maxi needs some help among the reserves (and we need someone to play the DFS role when DFS sits).  I still like Derrick Jones Jr. who can take the other teams best scorer off the bench.  Wright was brought here to be a defender and that needs to be replaced if he is traded for Young.

Yeah, guess I got a little excited with Burke, forgot the MLE was 3y minimun. Maybe we can split (1st year guaranteed) between him and another guy if DJJ isn't available. J. Ennis (ORL - PO), W. Iwundu (ORL - RFA), W. Gabriel (POR-RFA), C. Boucher (TOR - UFA) are low-key guys I've been keeping my eye on.

We can't trade the '22 (after the '21 draft) and '24 1st rounders unless the '23 1st we get is unprotected.
Like Reply
(08-29-2020, 09:24 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: ut west like the Dallas Mavericks could work. Under this scenario, Philly adds depth in the form of Tim Hardaway Jr., Dwight Powell and Delon Wright. The salaries would match, too. The assumption here is that the Sixers would also net a pick or two."

Dallas sends a pick for taking on that contract? How 'bout no? If Philly sends us a pick, then I would consider that.
Like Reply
something with Harris .... Maxi / Delon / Thj / # 31 for Harris / Thybulle / Korkmaz / # 36 Taking on Harris contract will cost 76ers assets

What do you think of Hayward / De Rozan ... they will surely take their year
I think both would be available would not kill plans mavs fa21
,i personally love hayward
Like Reply
(08-29-2020, 11:27 AM)aguiar95 Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 07:29 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:  

Here's a "too lazy to look it up" question for everyone...If we traded 31 for a 2023 first round pick (presumably protected in some fashion), we would then have picks in 22, 23 and 24.  Once the 21 draft is done, can we trade 22 and 24 as part of some huge sign and trade during 21 free agency?  We would still have picks in 23 and 25, they just wouldn't be our picks.

We can't trade the '22 (after the '21 draft) and '24 1st rounders unless the '23 1st we get is unprotected.

Thanks.

(08-29-2020, 04:28 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 09:24 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: ut west like the Dallas Mavericks could work. Under this scenario, Philly adds depth in the form of Tim Hardaway Jr., Dwight Powell and Delon Wright. The salaries would match, too. The assumption here is that the Sixers would also net a pick or two."

Dallas sends a pick for taking on that contract? How 'bout no? If Philly sends us a pick, then I would consider that.

Is it that clear cut.  I assume you think Harris is the better player compared to THJ.  Obviously he's more expensive than THJ, but they are also asking Philly to eat Wright and Powell (both are not necessary BTW,  THJ and either one matches Harris).  IF Philly took both, they are getting a useful player on a one year and two players who are this boards whipping boys.  I don't see how you demand a pick in that scenario. 

I commented earlier in the thread that I didn't get all the THJ trade proposals.  But to me, Harris is an upgrade.  He can create from the forward position and hit 3's at a fairly similar rate.  He's got the right size to throw up against he power wings of the league.  I worry a bit about a Bobi love triangle sending Luka off in a jealous rage.  But, other than making $10 million too much, I don't see an issue.  There are tons of mix and match possibilities.  Seems a simple THJ/Wright for Harris swap would give Philly some much needed shooting and a backup guard while making the salary structure a little less top heavy.
Like Reply
(08-29-2020, 04:28 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

I didn´t even see that. Nah they are not getting a pick from me.

My deals would be

THJ+Wright+Powell for Harris + #21 + #34 + #35

Wright+Powell +Jackson for Harris

They are in cap hell and with a steady cap that Harris contract is far worse than two shorter $10M deals of two bench players.
Like Reply
Id rather have Horford than Harris. Horford plays winning basketball.
Like Reply
Before I'm touching Phillys toxic garbage (the contracts not this players) I'd try to do Wright/JJ and take Barnes back.
He does some of what Harris does and earns some of that on a declining contract.
Like Reply
Wright + Jackson + 18 --> Favors (sign/trade 12-15mio)

Mavs use their pick get rid of Jackson and Wright and add a starting level C/PF.
I still think that Favors is the perfect fit for the Mavs. He can start next to KP and play the Powell role. He can also play as the lone big in a smaller lineup.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 01:46 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Wright + Jackson + 18 --> Favors (sign/trade 12-15mio)

Mavs use their pick get rid of Jackson and Wright and add a starting level C/PF.
I still think that Favors is the perfect fit for the Mavs. He can start next to KP and play the Powell role. He can also play as the lone big in a smaller lineup.

Loooove Favors.
Like Reply
I like Favors a lot but I think he's a 5 in Rick's system which just isn't going to work. Rick is now all in on a 5-out offense with KP at center. That means we need an athletic wing in the lineup that can shoot 3s and Favors isn't really that.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 08:39 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I like Favors a lot but I think he's a 5 in Rick's system which just isn't going to work. Rick is now all in on a 5-out offense with KP at center. That means we need an athletic wing in the lineup that can shoot 3s and Favors isn't really that.

I think KP is a 60 games /30 mins player for the rest of his career. Wouldn´t hurt to have another player that can play starter minutes at center. Especially if the mentioned player can also play next to another bigman.
I like the 5-out offense but it´s not like the KP-Powell duo was any worse on offense.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 09:06 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think KP is a 60 games /30 mins player for the rest of his career. Wouldn´t hurt to have another player that can play starter minutes at center. Especially if the mentioned player can also play next to another bigman.
I like the 5-out offense but it´s not like the KP-Powell duo was any worse on offense.

I think this is way to similar to what Philly did with Horford. Back up center is not our biggest position of need. It is wing and perimeter defense and I think our money and (if needed) assets should go there. I would cover back up center with a younger guy with potential. Someone like Hartenstein or even a rookie.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 09:27 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 09:06 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think KP is a 60 games /30 mins player for the rest of his career. Wouldn´t hurt to have another player that can play starter minutes at center. Especially if the mentioned player can also play next to another bigman.

I think this is way to similar to what Philly did with Horford. Back up center is not our biggest position of need. It is wing and perimeter defense and I think our money and (if needed) assets should go there. I would cover back up center with a younger guy with potential. Someone like Hartenstein or even a rookie.

Not sure. Favors is not as old (just turned 29) and will be on a smaller contract. Mavs also have better spacing and we have seen a succesful front court with KP and another bigman this season (Powell). Right now the Mavs only remaining bigman are Kleber (more of a small ball big) and Boban (great in some matchups, liability in others).
KP is great but injury-prone and probably needs to be load managed for the rest of his career. Powell is trying to come back from a career ending injury. I really don´t want  the Mavs to end up a in situation where they have to rely on a young end of the bench guy like Hartenstein or a rookie in crucial games.
Agree that the Mavs obviously also need to upgrade the wing quality+depth.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 09:57 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: another bigman this season (Powell).

Powell can switch on perimeter, that's why he can fit with KP. I doubt Favors can. 

(08-30-2020, 09:57 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Right now the Mavs only remaining bigman are Kleber (more of a small ball big) and Boban (great in some matchups, liability in others).

Well, we also have Powell and WCS. I would replace WCS (if he opts out) with a younger guy with potential. I think he will be in great position. He will certainly receive minutes, he will play with Luka. Who knows, perhaps we can develop another asset.

(08-30-2020, 09:57 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Hartenstein or a rookie in crucial games

KP has to play in crucial games. That's why they brought him. If he will be healthy was a gamble Mavs took and have to live with. It makes no sense to bring our own "Horford" here just as an injury insurance.
Like Reply
Today we may be almost forced to find out if Boban is worth the 3.5 million investment we have in him next year and perhaps the 4.5 million for the following year. I hope he is and that Rick can maximize his presence when we need him. He is pretty clearly the only guy we have who can indeed slow Harrell. Offensively, he is skilled but seems to get sped up way too easily and also gets stripped of the ball way to much. 

Like everyone else on the team, I watch them individually and as a 5 on the floor for improvement. Today is a huge opportunity to show improvement under pressure.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...5921939458

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...7261416450
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 10:56 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Today we may be almost forced to find out if Boban is worth the 3.5 million investment we have in him next year and perhaps the 4.5 million for the following year. I hope he is and that Rick can maximize his presence when we need him. He is pretty clearly the only guy we have who can indeed slow Harrell. Offensively, he is skilled but seems to get sped up way too easily and also gets stripped of the ball way to much. 

Like everyone else on the team, I watch them individually and as a 5 on the floor for improvement. Today is a huge opportunity to show improvement under pressure.

He did great today, he led the team with +/- with 16, his presence put the Mavs rally within 6 points in a elimination game. Yes, he can't be relied on for the whole game, but he does give you great spurts.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:15 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 10:56 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Today we may be almost forced to find out if Boban is worth the 3.5 million investment we have in him next year and perhaps the 4.5 million for the following year. I hope he is and that Rick can maximize his presence when we need him. He is pretty clearly the only guy we have who can indeed slow Harrell. Offensively, he is skilled but seems to get sped up way too easily and also gets stripped of the ball way to much. 

He did great today, he led the team with +/- with 16, his presence put the Mavs rally within 6 points in a elimination game. Yes, he can't be relied on for the whole game, but he does give you great spurts.

He is almost an automatic bucket and his sheer size can help defend the rim. He isn't a Shawn Bradley. Boban is legit. Totally worth the investment just from a production standpoint. Add in his chemistry with Luka and it makes his contract incredible. Dude is the goofy guy that holds locker rooms together.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 05:15 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 10:56 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Today we may be almost forced to find out if Boban is worth the 3.5 million investment we have in him next year and perhaps the 4.5 million for the following year. I hope he is and that Rick can maximize his presence when we need him. He is pretty clearly the only guy we have who can indeed slow Harrell. Offensively, he is skilled but seems to get sped up way too easily and also gets stripped of the ball way to much.

He is almost an automatic bucket and his sheer size can help defend the rim. He isn't a Shawn Bradley. Boban is legit. Totally worth the investment just from a production standpoint. Add in his chemistry with Luka and it makes his contract incredible. Dude is the goofy guy that holds locker rooms together.

The Mavs only had a single active misstep last offseason - Wright. Curry, Maxi, DFS, and Bobi were all good pickups for their contracts. It was what they didn't do that made last summer an absolute killer.
Like Reply