Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching and Carlisle - Mavs X and O
(02-22-2020, 10:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RC postgame quote:

"We lost the game in the first quarter. Inexcusable to not have a bigger lead than 14 after one. We lost the game in the first 38 minutes. Inexcusable to only be leading by 13 with 10 minutes to go. We have to start better."
Rick is going to lose Luka's confidence at some point if he doesn't start winning close games and quit playing small ball. Once Luka gets fed up, bye Rick.
Like Reply
This game was lost when we "had" to play ultra small ball with DFS as the center which of course does not work. The Hawks would just drive to the basket every time. Even with Powell injured, KP on the bench, Maxi fouled out and WCS out you still had MKG out there and Boban. Maybe they didn't want MKG out there who doesn't know the system yet but he looked good on defense. Boban was effective when he played earlier. I have no idea why he's on the team - this is the desperation scenario where you need Boban in there. He sets huge screens on offense, gets rebounds and clogs the lane on defense. I know he's not perfect but he's damn better than playing DFS at the 5. This loss goes to Rick. I know we had a bunch of guys out but Mavs should have won that game.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 10:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RC postgame quote:

"We lost the game in the first quarter. Inexcusable to not have a bigger lead than 14 after one. We lost the game in the first 38 minutes. Inexcusable to only be leading by 13 with 10 minutes to go. We have to start better."

What are you doing, pal? Are people believing that this is a real quote?

The quote that you're making fun of , IIRC, came from a game where they actually did start poorly. Seems like a coach using messaging to me.

This game seems like an odd time to dredge that up.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 10:39 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This game seems like an odd time to dredge that up.

This is the same pattern we have seen for months. The Mavs unable to finish. That game he said that, they had over 10 point lead in the 4th. Same issue. Just like tonight. That is all.
Like Reply
This is great. Rick blows and loses us a winnable game then mark cuban goes ranting on twitter about the officials (the point he makes is valid on those plays) but doesnt justify the blown lead or help us in the PR dept going forward.. 

either rick needs to make adjustments or we should just get used to this. And now the refs are gonna hose us some more to make a point to Cuban. 

Come on rick, we're getting to the end grind now.. time to stop overthinking and do common sense plays and play our bigs at center, our PGs at PG and rotate the SG/SF/PF as best you can so we never end up with DFS at 5 or JJ at 4.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 10:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This is the same pattern we have seen for months. The Mavs unable to finish. That game he said that, they had over 10 point lead in the 4th. Same issue. Just like tonight. That is all.

I completely agree that closing games is a problem. Not arguing that. But I'm sure Rick knows that as well. I'm sure the coaching staff is, and has been, working on that. It's still a problem, especially with Luka out.

I might have had JJB out there. But they seem to want the younger guys to figure it out.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 10:58 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 10:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This is the same pattern we have seen for months. The Mavs unable to finish. That game he said that, they had over 10 point lead in the 4th. Same issue. Just like tonight. That is all.

I completely agree that closing games is a problem. Not arguing that. But I'm sure Rick knows that as well. I'm sure the coaching staff is, and has been, working on that.  It's still a problem, especially with Luka out.

I might have had JJB out there. But they seem to want the younger guys to figure it out.
You guys keep saying oh luka was out, or we'd be better if brunson played the whole game or blah blah blah. The point is our great coach cant see that when he takes out our paint defending/screen setting, rebounding bigs.... the other team attacks the paint with ease changing the momentum of the game and then Rick and you defenders of him say something like if we made our FTs or started better we would win the game. WE WOULD WIN THE GAME IF WE PLAYED PEOPLE AT THE RIGHT POSITION AND DID MORE THAN COACH FOR 3 PT SHOT ATTEMPTS. Tonight and several times this season, guys have had passes picked off because they drove and got all the way to the hoop or had a decent attempt from the FT area but tried to swing it out to the perimeter for a 3 and it gets picked off.  WE HAD THIS GAME AND PISSED IT AWAY!!! Luka and KP not playing had nothing to do with that. Its on RICK. Angry
Like Reply
Imagine if people would celebrate Rick with the same energy after a win. But I guess he is only responsibles for the Ls.
Like Reply

I completely agree that closing games is a problem. Not arguing that. But I'm sure Rick knows that as well. I'm sure the coaching staff is, and has been, working on that. It's still a problem, especially with Luka out.

Deliberate obtuseness is not a good look for you. If the coaching staff won't change, that's syllogistically stubbornness. Small ball is what's being attacked, and it's incontrovertible that that's what happened in this game.

I hope for the Mavs' coaching staff that WCS's DNP last night and his "personal reasons" tonight has to do with a marijuana problem, because in my book, DNP-CDs the rest of the way are direct reasons for RC to be on the hot seat otherwise. We as Mavs fans have seen WCS play. I call BS on anyone here or in the MBT who says he isn't as good, all things quantitatively considered and added up, as Powell was. Either he's a dope-smoking moron or the Mavs coaching staff are.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Imagine if people would celebrate Rick with the same energy after a win. But I guess he is only responsibles for the Ls.

Name me one game this year that rick did something worthy of celebration cause I can give you 5-8 easy Ls he takes credit for maybe even up to 10.

We just need to hope Luka/KP dont grow tired of him and want to leave because of these kinds of losses that happen more than they should.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

I completely agree that closing games is a problem. Not arguing that. But I'm sure Rick knows that as well. I'm sure the coaching staff is, and has been, working on that.  It's still a problem, especially with Luka out.

Deliberate obtuseness is not a good look for you. If the coaching staff won't change, that's syllogistically stubbornness. Small ball is what's being attacked, and it's incontrovertible that that's what happened in this game.

I hope for the Mavs' coaching staff that WCS's DNP last night and his "personal reasons" tonight has to do with a marijuana problem, because in my book, DNP-CDs the rest of the way are direct reasons for RC to be on the hot seat otherwise. We as Mavs fans have seen WCS play. I call BS on anyone here or in the MBT who says he isn't as good, all things quantitatively considered and added up, as Powell was. Either he's a dope-smoking moron or the Mavs coaching staff are.

Because a guys that was losing minutes on a bad Kings team is the solution for the Mavs problems. Same for MKG. The guy was waived for a reason. It´s like people expect every single scrub in the league to turn into a diamond once he plays for the Mavs.

(02-22-2020, 11:18 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 11:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Imagine if people would celebrate Rick with the same energy after a win. But I guess he is only responsibles for the Ls.

Name me one game this year that rick did something worthy of celebration cause I can give you 5-8 easy Ls he takes credit for maybe even up to 10.

We just need to hope Luka/KP dont grow tired of him and want to leave because of these kinds of losses that happen more than they should.

You know that coaching is more than in game decision making? Why not blame the players? I am not getting into that conversation again. Scroll through some pages and you will find a longer response.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:22 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Because a guys that was losing minutes on a bad Kings team is the solution for the Mavs problems.

I think the frustration is that when the Mavs have gone big they have had a lot of success. Boban is a +6.9 this season and WCS is +7.1 with the Mavs. It has worked in small sample sizes but the coaching staff doesn't go to it often or when the status quo isn't working.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 11:22 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Because a guys that was losing minutes on a bad Kings team is the solution for the Mavs problems.

I think the frustration is that when the Mavs have gone big they have had a lot of success. Boban is a +6.9 this season and WCS is +7.1 with the Mavs. It has worked in small sample sizes but the coaching staff doesn't go to it often or when the status quo isn't working.

I just think it´s laughable that every single new player is celebrated as the solution to all our problems. The Mavs had a lot of success with those kind of players but that doesn´t meant that random players who barely played on bad teams will play 30 minutes on a playoff team.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:05 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: You guys keep saying oh luka was out, or we'd be better if brunson played the whole game or blah blah blah. The point is our great coach cant see that when he takes out our paint defending/screen setting, rebounding bigs.... the other team attacks the paint with ease changing the momentum of the game and then Rick and you defenders of him say something like if we made our FTs or started better we would win the game. WE WOULD WIN THE GAME IF WE PLAYED PEOPLE AT THE RIGHT POSITION AND DID MORE THAN COACH FOR 3 PT SHOT ATTEMPTS. Tonight and several times this season, guys have had passes picked off because they drove and got all the way to the hoop or had a decent attempt from the FT area but tried to swing it out to the perimeter for a 3 and it gets picked off.  WE HAD THIS GAME AND PISSED IT AWAY!!! Luka and KP not playing had nothing to do with that. Its on RICK.

"The point is"

So you're point is the only one we can talk about? I don't think you know what I was talking about.

But regarding your point, it is not obvious to me that this team would be better If it played your rotation instead of Rick's.

What I think is that if the team plays poorly then the low hanging fruit for assigning blame is the thing that the coach does that is different from what you would do.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:35 PM)fifteenth Wrote: What I think is that if the team plays poorly then the low hanging fruit for assigning blame is the thing that the coach does that is different from what you would do.

I think that is the case sometimes, but not here. The Mavs were consistently getting beat down low and in the paint. And nothing was changed or tried to stop it. The coaching staff is the low hanging fruit simply because there was an obvious move to try: BOBAN.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Deliberate obtuseness is not a good look for you. If the coaching staff won't change, that's syllogistically stubbornness. Small ball is what's being attacked, and it's incontrovertible that that's what happened in this game.

I wasn't even talking about the stuff you're freaking out about.

Nonetheless, thinking differently than Scott doesn't equal obtuseness.

Also, it's not stunbornness for the coaching staff to think differently than you. I have no problem with you having a problem with the coach. But think. What you think isn't the measuring stick, nor is what a portion of fans think. Call them wrong if you want, but this "stubborn" thing is silly because it assumes your rightness.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1231436692399312896
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:18 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: Name me one game this year that rick did something worthy of celebration cause I can give you 5-8 easy Ls he takes credit for maybe even up to 10.

LOL
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:35 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 11:05 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: You guys keep saying oh luka was out, or we'd be better if brunson played the whole game or blah blah blah. The point is our great coach cant see that when he takes out our paint defending/screen setting, rebounding bigs.... the other team attacks the paint with ease changing the momentum of the game and then Rick and you defenders of him say something like if we made our FTs or started better we would win the game. WE WOULD WIN THE GAME IF WE PLAYED PEOPLE AT THE RIGHT POSITION AND DID MORE THAN COACH FOR 3 PT SHOT ATTEMPTS. Tonight and several times this season, guys have had passes picked off because they drove and got all the way to the hoop or had a decent attempt from the FT area but tried to swing it out to the perimeter for a 3 and it gets picked off.  WE HAD THIS GAME AND PISSED IT AWAY!!! Luka and KP not playing had nothing to do with that. Its on RICK.

"The point is"

So you're point is the only one we can talk about? I don't think you know what I was talking about.

But regarding your point, it is not obvious to me that this team would be better If it played your rotation instead of Rick's.

What I think is that if the team plays poorly then the low hanging fruit for assigning blame is the thing that the coach does that is different from what you would do.
The sad thing is it seems to be the same thing every time. the loss vs denver, not having a big on the floor to contest jokic, vs hawks, not having a big to defend the paint and rebound to stop the bleeding, maybe set a screen for better looks, the 31 point debacle vs the raptors; not having a big on the floor to beat the trapping aggressive defense.

it happens in wins too its just that we are lucky that KP/Luka/THJ/Curry has the hot hand when they do. Rick has pissed away at least 6 wins this year maybe more and doesnt seem to be able to find the common denominator in those losses. Its like he worships the DAntoni style of coaching and cant see anything else. Maybe you guys like rocket basketball but I dont and more importantly, I've yet to see that style work for them and they have Harden the most floppingest ref rewarded superstar in the league.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:53 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: The sad thing is it seems to be the same thing every time. the loss vs denver, not having a big on the floor to contest jokic, vs hawks, not having a big to defend the paint and rebound to stop the bleeding, maybe set a screen for better looks, the 31 point debacle vs the raptors; not having a big on the floor to beat the trapping aggressive defense.

it happens in wins too its just that we are lucky that KP/Luka/THJ/Curry has the hot hand when they do. Rick has pissed away at least 6 wins this year maybe more and doesnt seem to be able to find the common denominator in those losses. Its like he worships the DAntoni style of coaching and cant see anything else. Maybe you guys like rocket basketball but I dont and more importantly, I've yet to see that style work for them and they have Harden the most floppingest ref rewarded superstar in the league.

We don't run the Rockets' offense.
Like Reply