Posts: 2,471
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 2,127 in 1,060 posts
Likes Given: 539
Likes Received: 2,127 in 1,060 posts
Likes Given: 539
Joined: Oct 2021
(05-19-2026, 10:01 AM)Smitty Wrote: Should we view Ayo Dosunmu as high on Masai's wish list this summer? The Timberwolves could technically offer him and extension through June 30th -- 3yr/$52M (~$17M AAV).
I've forgotten some of the Sign and Trade rules, but I think the Wolves could do so with the Mavs and the TPE (~$21M), if they don't agree on an extension beforehand.
If the Mavs don't draft a Guard with their top pick, I could see Dosunmu thinking this is an attractive destination as a UFA. Is the full MLE enough to land him, with only a few teams having actual cap space to offer more?
Not that it's important, but I think there's a possible cultural connection there with the Nigeria background also. Dosunmu's father emigrated from there.
I thought about him recently when he started talking like he was interested in free agency.
He just seems like the type of player (and the right age) that could spread the floor and make the Mavs watchable.
Posts: 5,197
Threads: 14
Likes Received: 6,327 in 2,256 posts
Likes Given: 3,085
Likes Received: 6,327 in 2,256 posts
Likes Given: 3,085
Joined: Sep 2019
(05-19-2026, 10:01 AM)Smitty Wrote: Should we view Ayo Dosunmu as high on Masai's wish list this summer? The Timberwolves could technically offer him and extension through June 30th -- 3yr/$52M (~$17M AAV).
I've forgotten some of the Sign and Trade rules, but I think the Wolves could do so with the Mavs and the TPE (~$21M), if they don't agree on an extension beforehand.
I was thinking something similar with Payton Watson. S&T into our TPE for $21mm starting and sent them Naji. Watson slots into the SF spot between Flagg and Christie/Burries. You lose some creation but probably make up for it in 3's. Denver probably gets the better player near term, but that isn't our concern.
Posts: 2,097
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 1,243 in 669 posts
Likes Given: 1,972
Likes Received: 1,243 in 669 posts
Likes Given: 1,972
Joined: Sep 2019
Stupid question here...
When doing a SnT, it enables some hard caps, I don't know which ones, first apron maybe?
Are both teams, signing team and trading team, subject to the hard cap? If only one, which one?
I don't want to see any maneuvers that limit DAL economically for the next few years.
Posts: 12,123
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 7,178 in 4,028 posts
Likes Given: 458
Likes Received: 7,178 in 4,028 posts
Likes Given: 458
Joined: Oct 2020
05-19-2026, 11:35 AM
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2026, 11:40 AM by Chicagojk.)
(05-19-2026, 10:01 AM)Smitty Wrote: Should we view Ayo Dosunmu as high on Masai's wish list this summer? The Timberwolves could technically offer him and extension through June 30th -- 3yr/$52M (~$17M AAV).
I've forgotten some of the Sign and Trade rules, but I think the Wolves could do so with the Mavs and the TPE (~$21M), if they don't agree on an extension beforehand.
If the Mavs don't draft a Guard with their top pick, I could see Dosunmu thinking this is an attractive destination as a UFA. Is the full MLE enough to land him, with only a few teams having actual cap space to offer more?
Not that it's important, but I think there's a possible cultural connection there with the Nigeria background also. Dosunmu's father emigrated from there.
I would vote no, but I think this summer is tricky due to the toughness of the west, the current squad, new leadership, and the Mavs wanting to be a competitive team next year.
The new leadership is the big ?. Mavs have long contracts with PJ and Gafford. Decisions will need to be made soon on Lively, Marshall and Christie. Lively is tricky and will probably be determined next offseason. Mavs need to make decisions on Marshall and Christie soon. I expect both are 15 million a year players. I think things get crowded if you add a MLE type player this summer.
Personally, I would prefer taking on a contract (hopefully for only a year and may be moveable at the trade deadline) to get another asset. Could you do cam Johnson plus asset for Klay? How about resign Middleton? Maybe both could be small assets to move later.
I think this is the direction I prefer. Unless the Mavs decide to go aggressively in another direction.
So, two rookies, big contract with small asset, and smart signings. Maintaining flexibility throughout the rookie contract Flagg years is key for me. Allows you to be proactive if something pops. Otherwise you improve gradually until a big move presents itself. Ideally in year 3-4 of Flagg.
Posts: 4,461
Threads: 50
Likes Received: 4,800 in 2,239 posts
Likes Given: 4,369
Likes Received: 4,800 in 2,239 posts
Likes Given: 4,369
Joined: Oct 2019
(05-19-2026, 10:47 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I was thinking something similar with Payton Watson. S&T into our TPE for $21mm starting and sent them Naji. Watson slots into the SF spot between Flagg and Christie/Burries. You lose some creation but probably make up for it in 3's. Denver probably gets the better player near term, but that isn't our concern.
This one feels a little less likely than the Dosunmu idea, but yes! Watson is a RFA? He'll have a ton of suitors. Lakers? I just have a hard time seeing it is all. The Nuggets are in a financial bind, but in the end they have to keep him don't they?!
Posts: 2,800
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 2,399 in 1,217 posts
Likes Given: 2,876
Likes Received: 2,399 in 1,217 posts
Likes Given: 2,876
Joined: Jul 2022
Krawczynski] Tim Connelly says he is optimistic they will bring back Ayo Dosunmu: “Ayo’s our most important free agent. He’s a guy we thought we knew pretty well and we liked him from afar. Now seeing him day to day, we love him.”
Posts: 725
Threads: 9
Likes Received: 697 in 322 posts
Likes Given: 277
Likes Received: 697 in 322 posts
Likes Given: 277
Joined: Oct 2019
05-19-2026, 05:45 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2026, 05:47 PM by RasheedsBigWhiteSpot.)
Would you trade Kyrie straight up for Jaden McDaniels? Or a framework* of that? Do you think McDaniels' offensive game has room for improvement?
*Can my "pet cat" Joan Beringer come, too?
Posts: 1,275
Threads: 20
Likes Received: 975 in 423 posts
Likes Given: 121
Likes Received: 975 in 423 posts
Likes Given: 121
Joined: Sep 2019
Kyrie --> MIL
Rollins, Portis, Kuzma, #10 --> DAL
Posts: 4,914
Threads: 11
Likes Received: 5,804 in 2,503 posts
Likes Given: 5,298
Likes Received: 5,804 in 2,503 posts
Likes Given: 5,298
Joined: Nov 2020
05-19-2026, 07:25 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2026, 07:30 PM by F Gump.)
IMO the decision to change coaches seems like a "clean house" type of move. Now, I don't think ANYONE is safe, other than Flagg. Is Kyrie next?
Posts: 6,576
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 6,169 in 3,146 posts
Likes Given: 4,105
Likes Received: 6,169 in 3,146 posts
Likes Given: 4,105
Joined: Dec 2020
(05-19-2026, 07:25 PM)F Gump Wrote: IMO the decision to change coaches seems like a "clean house" type of move. Now, I don't think ANYONE is safe, other than Flagg. Is Kyrie next?
Masai MO is to wait until the TDL, but then his MO was to stick with his coach for a couple of years. The only reason I would be surprised if Kyrie was moved now is potential lack of value. I think he would have more value at the TDL after teams see him on the court, but who knows at this point.
Posts: 12,123
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 7,178 in 4,028 posts
Likes Given: 458
Likes Received: 7,178 in 4,028 posts
Likes Given: 458
Joined: Oct 2020
(05-19-2026, 07:36 PM)mvossman Wrote: Masai MO is to wait until the TDL, but then his MO was to stick with his coach for a couple of years. The only reason I would be surprised if Kyrie was moved now is potential lack of value. I think he would have more value at the TDL after teams see him on the court, but who knows at this point.
Yeah I agree. What is a good offer for Kyrie if healthy? Would Jabari Smith plus pick be fair? More than one pick? I just wouldn't think a team would give up much for a guy who hasn't played in so long. I also think Dallas wants to see Kyrie on the floor.
Posts: 2,405
Threads: 8
Likes Received: 1,445 in 833 posts
Likes Given: 4,131
Likes Received: 1,445 in 833 posts
Likes Given: 4,131
Joined: Mar 2020
(05-19-2026, 07:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah I agree. What is a good offer for Kyrie if healthy? Would Jabari Smith plus pick be fair? More than one pick? I just wouldn't think a team would give up much for a guy who hasn't played in so long. I also think Dallas wants to see Kyrie on the floor.
I think fans are more influenced by recency bias than GM's. They've got medical teams that can evaluate the success or failure of surgeries, likely career trajectories, etc.
I think Kyrie still has high value around the league.
Posts: 610
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 407 in 232 posts
Likes Given: 166
Likes Received: 407 in 232 posts
Likes Given: 166
Joined: Dec 2019
Kyrie has a lot less tread on his tires than most players his age. I expect him to come back and easily be an all star.
Posts: 1,020
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 407 in 225 posts
Likes Given: 31
Likes Received: 407 in 225 posts
Likes Given: 31
Joined: Nov 2019
(05-19-2026, 08:32 PM)windjc Wrote: Kyrie has a lot less tread on his tires than most players his age. I expect him to come back and easily be an all star.
I am so confused right now…
Posts: 725
Threads: 9
Likes Received: 697 in 322 posts
Likes Given: 277
Likes Received: 697 in 322 posts
Likes Given: 277
Joined: Oct 2019
(05-19-2026, 07:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I just wouldn't think a team would give up much for a guy who hasn't played in so long.
I think much of the "Kyrie hasn't played in so long" is over-thinking it. Teams realize the Mavs were ethically tanking and the only reason Kyrie didn't come back was because Dallas was trying to add ping pong balls
Posts: 4,461
Threads: 50
Likes Received: 4,800 in 2,239 posts
Likes Given: 4,369
Likes Received: 4,800 in 2,239 posts
Likes Given: 4,369
Joined: Oct 2019
https://dunkingwithwolves.com/blockbuste...r-he-needs
Here's a recent article from a fan? Not a report or anything, but the trade concept isn't a terrible one.
MIN: Kyrie
CHA: Gobert
DAL: M. Bridges, G. Williams, Pick #28 (MIN), '27 FRP (DAL)
I'd want Ayo Dosunmu in a SnT, not that it's the Wolves decision to make there, with Ayo being a UFA...
Posts: 6,576
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 6,169 in 3,146 posts
Likes Given: 4,105
Likes Received: 6,169 in 3,146 posts
Likes Given: 4,105
Joined: Dec 2020
(05-20-2026, 11:40 AM)Smitty Wrote: https://dunkingwithwolves.com/blockbuste...r-he-needs
Here's a recent article from a fan? Not a report or anything, but the trade concept isn't a terrible one.
MIN: Kyrie
CHA: Gobert
DAL: M. Bridges, G. Williams, Pick #28 (MIN), '27 FRP (DAL)
I'd want Ayo Dosunmu in a SnT, not that it's the Wolves decision to make there, with Ayo being a UFA...
From one wife beater to another.
Posts: 2,097
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 1,243 in 669 posts
Likes Given: 1,972
Likes Received: 1,243 in 669 posts
Likes Given: 1,972
Joined: Sep 2019
(05-20-2026, 11:40 AM)Smitty Wrote: https://dunkingwithwolves.com/blockbuste...r-he-needs
Here's a recent article from a fan? Not a report or anything, but the trade concept isn't a terrible one.
MIN: Kyrie
CHA: Gobert
DAL: M. Bridges, G. Williams, Pick #28 (MIN), '27 FRP (DAL)
I'd want Ayo Dosunmu in a SnT, not that it's the Wolves decision to make there, with Ayo being a UFA...
I could talk myself into the trade, although why we would want 2 more years of Grant Williams is beyond me.
Posts: 4,461
Threads: 50
Likes Received: 4,800 in 2,239 posts
Likes Given: 4,369
Likes Received: 4,800 in 2,239 posts
Likes Given: 4,369
Joined: Oct 2019
(05-20-2026, 12:00 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I could talk myself into the trade, although why we would want 2 more years of Grant Williams is beyond me.
Bridges and Williams would both be expiring contracts.
Posts: 1,020
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 407 in 225 posts
Likes Given: 31
Likes Received: 407 in 225 posts
Likes Given: 31
Joined: Nov 2019
(05-20-2026, 12:00 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I could talk myself into the trade, although why we would want 2 more years of Grant Williams is beyond me.
The silver lining would be that he is not in conflict with Luka. Part of what made Williams such a liability IMO was that the player on the court you could get a positive defensive matchup for Williams had to be covered by Luka. And it made Williams cover one of 2 options: a Larger forward (Luka covered the 3/4) OR a faster guard. Both situations routinely exposed Williams.
|