Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
50.00%
6 50.00%
Nuggets
50.00%
6 50.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 37: DEN (26-11) @ DAL (23-14) | 106-107 loss
(01-08-2020, 10:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The entire team cannot get out of the 3 or layup scheme. They don´t have a reliable two point play.
Why not try a lineup with Doncic-Curry-THJ-Brunson-Boban. Teams 4 best shot creators and a bail out option that is 7-3 and can score over anybody.
Inbound play to Boban handoff. Drive or midrange shot. Or inbound to Boban. Backdown post up.
That would make too much sense.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:09 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Joker feasted  on the Mavs. Mavs don't have anyone to matchup with him.  Powell and Kleber don't have the strength to guard him, should have put in Boban. I mean why not?

Carlisle's system and approach doesn't have much space or strategy for a slower giant like Boban.  The funny thing is we just saw a perfect example of a skilled slow Big man that was able to beat a high powered speed and skill based Mavericks offense.  

Once the game is forced to 1/2 court execution, Dallas is behind the 8 ball.  Yeah, Boban has to be the best body on the roster not only to try to contain Jokic but also to force Denver the Jokic to try and defend some high percentage buckets on the other end of the floor. 

Unfortunatey it appears its simply not in Carlisle's coaching system to strategically use his own skilled Big man and help his team hold onto a lead at the end of the game.  
Of course KP would have been helpful here but even his long body would have been pushed aside by Jokic in those post up scenarios. 
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:16 PM)mtrot Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 10:09 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Joker feasted  on the Mavs. Mavs don't have anyone to matchup with him.  Powell and Kleber don't have the strength to guard him, should have put in Boban. I mean why not?
 Actually, I thought Kleber played some pretty good defense on him several times tonight

Powell and Kleber did everything they could. Jokic made 4 3s. Nothing they can do about it. Boban would have been a liability because Jokic is the master of backdoor passes and handoffs. Boban is not fast enough to stay in front of the guard and cannot recover in time.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:19 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Honest question, what has changed with Luka in late game situations this year? He was pure magic last year. He's like Peyton Manning in the playoffs this season.
I think he is just trying to do too much and I think this year he may be feeling the pressure more. I also think he is getting in his head too much during games. Whether it’s missed shots or complaining about no calls. I’m personally not too concerned. Luka will figure it out
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:17 PM)Flipper Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 10:12 PM)bartlettbear Wrote: DFS is not a starter he is an 8th man, a guy of the bench for energy .
DFS made some bad mistakes, but I find it interesting that you trash him but defends Jackson. Think it’s pretty clear who the better player is.
Yes and it is Jackson especially at SF. DFS is an 4 , Jackson would have won the game for the Mavs with a floater. 

He can actually put the ball on the floor and create something DFS can't do.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:20 PM)cow Wrote: Carlisle and Luka will grow together.  There is a fine balance for trusting your superstar with the flow offense and having set plays to get good looks, especially towards the end of games or in out of bounds situations.
Pitchfork free post...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:22 PM)Flipper Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 10:19 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Honest question, what has changed with Luka in late game situations this year? He was pure magic last year. He's like Peyton Manning in the playoffs this season.
I think he is just trying to do too much and I think this year he may be feeling the pressure more. I also think he is getting in his head too much during games. Whether it’s missed shots or complaining about no calls. I’m personally not too concerned. Luka will figure it out
Yeah I know he'll figure it out. He always seems to know what mistakes he made after each game. I just hope it translates to in game fixes sooner than later.
Like Reply
shooting 3s work when you have Steph/Klay and KD. And it worked for us when we had Dirk/JET/Peja and occasional streaks from Kidd/Barea/Stevenson but people forget the midrange and post/layup baskets that are needed and gone to in the clutch. 

I guess TV glorifies the ''good" three or jumper (only if it goes in over good defense because it can be played over as a highlight.

But when defenses clamp down and you need good play sets to get multiple players moving to create the best look. When the team knows who's getting the ball and is willing to double, there has to be a release in the play other than jack a 3. A backdoor cut, and fake and drive/floater, something. 

So many times tonight and in general guys catch the ball and attack the closeout to pass back to the perimeter like robots programmed that 3 is better than 2. Rick's got some work to do.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:24 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 10:22 PM)Flipper Wrote:
Yeah I know he'll figure it out. He always seems to know what mistakes he made after each game. I just hope it translates to in game fixes sooner than later.
I would like it to translate sooner as well, but I have to remind myself, Luka is 20.
Like Reply
Very true
Like Reply
100 to 100. 6 minutes left.

-Luka/Dwight PnR, Wight passes up open 3, drives, gets blocked
-Luka/Dwight PnR, attempted lob, turnover
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Dwight goes in Charmin soft and gets fouled. 1 of 2 at the line.
-Luka/Dwight PnR after near THJ turnover. 3 nuggets in paint. Luka airballs floater.
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka has nothing, eventually gets fould going around Dwight, no call, Luka just stands there, turnover
-Luka/Dwight PnR, get a couple THJ 3 attempts, loose ball foul, get ball back
-Luka/Dwight PnR, DFS open 3, made it
-Luka/Dwight PnR, ball move to THJ, one dribble pullup, scores

WE DON'T SCORE AGAIN 2:20 left

-DFS steps out of bounds
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka misses 3
-Luka/THJ PnR, Luka fouled
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka misses layup, THJ misses 3
-Bad inbounds play, DFS turnover
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:22 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
 Actually, I thought Kleber played some pretty good defense on him several times tonight

Powell and Kleber did everything they could. Jokic made 4 3s. Nothing they can do about it. Boban would have been a liability because Jokic is the master of backdoor passes and handoffs. Boban is not fast enough to stay in front of the guard and cannot recover in time.

We keep saying Boban would be a Liability yet the opponent is scoring all the buckets they need to take the lead and game at the end anyway.  On the other side Dallas is not forcing the opponent to guard similar tough to defend sets with inside options so Jokic has all his energy free to use on the other end.  
Dallas again had a lead.  They could also have won the game by scoring a few buckets.  If Boban is helping you score in the clutch how can he be any more of a liability than the liabilities that are already leading to Maverick L's after repeated lost leads.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:15 PM)train0038 Wrote: Luka has done nothing in the clutch this year...

Damn, you're kinda greedy, aren't you?  Dude carries your team most nights, and that's not enough?  He's the sole reason for their surprising start.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:30 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: 100 to 100. 6 minutes left.

-Luka/Dwight PnR, Wight passes up open 3, drives, gets blocked
-Luka/Dwight PnR, attempted lob, turnover
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Dwight goes in Charmin soft and gets fouled. 1 of 2 at the line.
-Luka/Dwight PnR after near THJ turnover. 3 nuggets in paint. Luka airballs floater.
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka has nothing, eventually gets fould going around Dwight, no call, Luka just stands there, turnover
-Luka/Dwight PnR, get a couple THJ 3 attempts, loose ball foul, get ball back
-Luka/Dwight PnR, DFS open 3, made it
-Luka/Dwight PnR, ball move to THJ, one dribble pullup, scores

WE DON'T SCORE AGAIN 2:20 left

-DFS steps out of bounds
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka misses 3
-Luka/THJ PnR, Luka fouled
-Luka/Dwight PnR, Luka misses layup, THJ misses 3
-Bad inbounds play, DFS turnover
I really don't like the pick and roll late in games because they are just bringing the double team to Luka. I would rather space the floor and let Luka work. My first preference would be to have some set plays we can use when needed, but also to not pick and roll so much.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:25 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: I guess TV glorifies the ''good" three
It’s not TV that glorifies the good three. It’s math.
Like Reply
It makes me so sad ... reading this comments..
But we should be proud on mavs. They fought well against the team with more and stronger weapons, with more experience and at the end that prevailed. Simple as that, last two plays where the big picture of both teams value. Mavs could not DT Joker, Nuggets could afford that on Luka with ease with a reason. It's simple tactic. Heads up, it's new game soon.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:44 PM)LukTheShadow Wrote: It makes me so sad ... reading this comments..
But we should be proud on mavs. They fought well against the team with more and stronger weapons, with more experience and at the end that prevailed. Simple as that, last two plays where the big picture of both teams value. Mavs could not DT Joker, Nuggets could afford that on Luka with ease with a reason. It's simple tactic. Heads up, it's new game soon.

I was unable to watch the game in real time because of work. I figured before the game that the Nuggets would win by double digits. We kept it tight versus a superior team without our second best player and people are whinging.

Guess it still beats tanking.
Like Reply
We are not a strong roster to begin with and were missing the only guy who might have had a chance to stop Jokic. Happens.

I am more frustrated that we had McGee and treated him like a clown. The fans too were fine with that. No one wanted Dwight again because of all his flaws as if our bigs are anything special. Those 2 are contributing to a better team but they couldn’t for us? Until size, strength are valued by this coach and front office we will have issues. 2011 roster we had the ability to match up against any teams.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:31 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:

We keep saying Boban would be a Liability yet the opponent is scoring all the buckets they need to take the lead and game at the end anyway.  On the other side Dallas is not forcing the opponent to guard similar tough to defend sets with inside options so Jokic has all his energy free to use on the other end.  
Dallas again had a lead.  They could also have won the game by scoring a few buckets.  If Boban is helping you score in the clutch how can he be any more of a liability than the liabilities that are already leading to Maverick L's after repeated lost leads.

I agree on single possession base. If I know that the Nuggets are going to post up Jokic and just need a single basket I take my chances with Boban. Over a 48 minute game Powell and Kleber were the better options. Same for the entire postup debate. The Mavs don´t need to change their entire gameplan. Motion pick and roll with Luka as the ballhandler works and should be the 1st option. They just need a backup plan that can create 2-points against half court defense.
Like Reply
(01-08-2020, 11:03 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 10:31 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:

I agree on single possession base. If I know that the Nuggets are going to post up Jokic and just need a single basket I take my chances with Boban. Over a 48 minute game Powell and Kleber were the better options. Same for the entire postup debate. The Mavs don´t need to change their entire gameplan. Motion pick and roll with Luka as the ballhandler works and should be the 1st option. They just need a backup plan that can create 2-points against half court defense.
That's what I said!
Like Reply