Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(01-11-2024, 06:03 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: powerrankingsguru.com/nba/strength-of-schedule.php

The Heat have had an easier schedule according to this and have a worse record.

I think our record would be much better if we had a little bit of luck with injuries.
[-] The following 2 users Like MFFL's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 06:20 PM)MFFL Wrote: The Heat have had an easier schedule according to this and have a worse record.

I think our record would be much better if we had a little bit of luck with injuries.

New and improved training staff needed, tbqh.
Like Reply
Done some reading/listening over the past 24 hours.

I think Siakam is a long shot, unfortunately, and I no longer have much interest in Kuminga.

I think I'm willing to give Jerami Grant a shot if the price comes down. If he accepts a 3rd guy/defender role, like the one he had in Denver, he'll be amazing here. I don't think that's likely, but on the other hand he's gotten TWO star-player contracts at this point, so maybe he's ready to win again.

I'm also still interested in PJ Washington, although his name doesn't seem to be out there.

Everything else seems like more cost than it's worth. I'm very likely to land right back on the "keep what you have and build from within" team.
Like Reply
I'm not as wedded to acquiring PS as I am interested in finding more rebounds.

I believe there will be opportunities in the next couple of weeks. I think a trade with someone like Atlanta is still very much a possibility as we get closer to February.
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 07:18 PM)Winter Wrote: I'm not as wedded to acquiring PS as I am interested in finding more rebounds.

I believe there will be opportunities in the next couple of weeks. I think a trade with someone like Atlanta is still very much a possibility as we get closer to February.

Seems like cutting Morris and signing Biyombo would be a start.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 07:18 PM)Winter Wrote: I'm not as wedded to acquiring PS as I am interested in finding more rebounds.

Side note. For anyone who wants a better PF who will improve the rebounding, it needs to be noted that J Grant is a TERRIBLE rebounder for a PF. Absolutely horrendous.

His 3.8 reb/36 is worse than every player on the Mavs. EVERY player, including all the guards, the Curry's, the Hardy's, all of them.

That makes me completely disinterested.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 07:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think I'm willing to give Jerami Grant a shot if the price comes down. If he accepts a 3rd guy/defender role, like the one he had in Denver, he'll be amazing here. I don't think that's likely, but on the other hand he's gotten TWO star-player contracts at this point, so maybe he's ready to win again.

I'm out on Jerami Grant.
As others have pointed out he is a TERRIBLE rebounder.
He can score a bit on his own, but not the dynamic scorer he should be if the Mavs are to off-set his lack of inside presence.
The same goes for DFS in a way, gets the defense better, but the rebounds are still going to be a problem.
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 08:45 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'm out on Jerami Grant.
As others have pointed out he is a TERRIBLE rebounder.
He can score a bit on his own, but not the dynamic scorer he should be if the Mavs are to off-set his lack of inside presence.
The same goes for DFS in a way, gets the defense better, but the rebounds are still going to be a problem.

Bad rebounder, yes, but the most capable defender of all the folks we have talked about. An absolutely devastating, difference-making defender if his mind is in it.
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 07:26 PM)mvossman Wrote: Seems like cutting Morris and signing Biyombo would be a start.

Agreed. This seems like a no-brainer to me. Which usually means it won't happen. I'm sure I'm missing something.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 09:08 PM)Winter Wrote: Agreed. This seems like a no-brainer to me. Which usually means it won't happen. I'm sure I'm missing something.

I truly believe that adding Biyombo would not happen while there is a chance to make a trade. There is a threshold and a hardcap that it is advantageous to stay under.

So IF there was a trade that sent out more players than returned would lend itself to signing a minimum player AFTER. There is also the concept that Morris might be a player included. However, IMO managing the TAX is priority #1.
Like Reply
I can't understand what the Mavs saw in Morris that made them keep him past his contract guarantee deadline. He's barely passable as an NBA player
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 11:21 PM)MFFL Wrote: I can't understand what the Mavs saw in Morris that made them keep him past his contract guarantee deadline. He's barely passable as an NBA player

Buddies with Kidd and Kyrie?
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • rocky164, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
As we think through all of these PF targets, I think we are overlooking one that makes a ton of sense...mainly because we don't think of him as a PF.  But, WCJr. played a good bit of PF last season.  Four of his five most used lineups had him at PF and he dominated his direct opponent.  The team's D was fantastic when he was in last season and horrible when he wasn't (Kind of like Lively for us this season).  He's a strong defensive rebounder.  He's an excellent passer (will be yet another player who excels in the short roll when Luka is doubled) and he's hitting his 3's (and the shot looks really good).  He's got a 7' 4" wingspan and good footspeed to execute multiple types of defensive schemes at the 4 or the 5.

So, what happened and why does Stein say he's on the block?  Mainly injuries and the emergence of Goga.  This season WCJ started the first 5 games and then missed the next 20 with a broken finger.  He started the next five, missed a game, came off the bench a few and has missed the last several games with knee tendinitis.  He misses substantial games each season with injuries, so that's a thing.  But, when he's in, he fits Nico's description of Force and Rebounding very well and I think could be a real difference maker in the playoffs (if healthy).  He's on a declining contract and if THJ was the outgoing, would represent $4mm of savings off of next year's number (which helps with DJJ).  We talk about a younger, better, healthier Maxi.  This is him (well, two out of three).
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 12:24 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: As we think through all of these PF targets, I think we are overlooking one that makes a ton of sense...mainly because we don't think of him as a PF.  But, WCJr. played a good bit of PF last season.  Four of his five most used lineups had him at PF and he dominated his direct opponent.  The team's D was fantastic when he was in last season and horrible when he wasn't (Kind of like Lively for us this season).  He's a strong defensive rebounder.  He's an excellent passer (will be yet another player who excels in the short roll when Luka is doubled) and he's hitting his 3's (and the shot looks really good).  He's got a 7' 4" wingspan and good footspeed to execute multiple types of defensive schemes at the 4 or the 5.

So, what happened and why does Stein say he's on the block?  Mainly injuries and the emergence of Goga.  This season WCJ started the first 5 games and then missed the next 20 with a broken finger.  He started the next five, missed a game, came off the bench a few and has missed the last several games with knee tendinitis.  He misses substantial games each season with injuries, so that's a thing.  But, when he's in, he fits Nico's description of Force and Rebounding very well and I think could be a real difference maker in the playoffs (if healthy).  He's on a declining contract and if THJ was the outgoing, would represent $4mm of savings off of next year's number (which helps with DJJ).  We talk about a younger, better, healthier Maxi.  This is him (well, two out of three).

I have him in same category as Stewart. If we can get 10 minute of PF from him than he is worth it. He is not terrible from 3
Like Reply
WCJ is probably available because he is never healthy. Every season he misses massive number of games. His tops so far is 62 games played, with other years of 44, 43, 54, and 57, and he is currently idled by injuries again (he's only played 13 this season out of 37, which means he can only play in the 50s, and likely will miss more and lower that number).

I don't think that works.
Like Reply
I hope to stop seeing KI+ Active trades for D.Murray...at least for a while
[-] The following 3 users Like Mike lorenzo's post:
  • F Gump, omahen, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 03:21 AM)Mike lorenzo Wrote: I hope to stop seeing KI+ Active trades for D.Murray...at least for a while

It wouldn't happen anyway, so you don't need to worry too much Smile I think there was/is zero chance Mavs are considering trading Kyrie this soon. They will have to make a decision next season though, as he can be (player option) an expiring. Summer might be best time to solve the thing, or he will have huge leverage at TDL.
Like Reply
Wiggins to Indy could make sense. It would ruin their cap space plans for summer. However, if he can be at least approximately what he has been at his best, he makes them better. And they will get an asset for eating his contract.

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/statu...2258352512
Like Reply
Not sure if Siakam is a good enough offball scorer but it’s hard to not get excited about the idea of him playing the nr 3 guy role here given he’s a multiple allstar caliber with championship experience playing a position of need.

Finding a trade package for him would be a lot easier if Green, Grant and Hardy had played better seasons so far though.

I think he’s more of a SnT target next summer than an option at the deadline.
Like Reply
(01-12-2024, 08:03 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Not sure if Siakam is a good enough offball scorer 

Not sure where, but I heard a data these days that more than half of Siakam baskets were assisted this season. Considerable uptick compared to previous seasons.
Like Reply