Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 6: Charlotte Hornets (2-4) vs. Dallas Mavericks (5-1) | 124-118 WIN!!!!!!!
whatever happens moving forward - Mavs have secured 2 very good starters in Derek Lively and Grant Williams in one offseason
Maybe 3 if Omax pick pans out..Not really sold on Josh Green being that long term starter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BolsDamols's post:
  • sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(11-05-2023, 10:03 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Are we encouraged by a win despite the performance in the first three quarters or concerned about them struggling to beat the SEGABABA Hornets?

The glass is half-full.

Sometimes you can't hit a shot, but win anyway.

4 months from now, no one will remember anything except that it was a W.
[-] The following 4 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
lamelo was insane in the fourth quarter glad we won the game. their 5sec violation was hilarious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LukaMVP's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(11-05-2023, 10:03 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Are we encouraged by a win despite the performance in the first three quarters or concerned about them struggling to beat the SEGABABA Hornets?

I think both.  Definitely not the performance I was expecting against a team coming off a game last night.  Glad they fought though and glad the new and young guys all had solid games.   Just seems like we are missing that extra 6'8-6'9 wing.  It is going to be an issue all year long.    

Hardy is not a finished product and can shoot himself out of the game, but you need to give him consistent minutes.   He plays real well off dominant guards and those guards trust him to make a play.   

32 minutes and 17 shots from Hardaway(making 5).  He has been good so far this year, but I think as the year goes on we will be hoping Hardy gets more of his minutes and wished we could have moved him for a bigger wing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
Can’t hit a shot? We hit the 5 min mark, and this team knows what to do. 5/9 shooting if I counted em right. Plus the free throws. 19 points in 5 mins. Better close strong if you want to beat these Mavs.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
After shooting 37% in the first half, Mavs managed to finish the game at 47% overall, 33% on threes.

And Charlotte, after 56% in the first, cooled off to 49%.

Both a little closer to their averages.
Like Reply
I will say, it's encouraging the Mavs found way to come back and win despite their 3s not falling at all for the majority of the game AND Luka was off yet again.

We lose this game last year. Kyrie, Hardy, and Grant all played pivotal roles in securing the W.

Very discouraging they needed to fight so hard to begin with against such a lesser opponent. Oh well.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Pulled it off, that’s all that matters. 5-1 start is darn good, much better than expected. 

Also we‘re on track of having three rookie scale contract players in our rotation. Lively and Green are already in there, but Hardy might have earned it too. HUGE development for the organization.

Nothing against Curry/Exum but consolidating the backup guard minutes in favor of Hardy looks like a darn good move right now.

Lively with another big game. Over 30 minutes, positive plus minutes and very productive. His passing continues to be a seriously impressive part of his game, he easily could have had 2-3 more assists tonight again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
When Kyrie finds his 3-point range, watch out. This is a good team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(11-05-2023, 10:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Very discouraging they needed to fight so hard to begin with against such a lesser opponent. Oh well.

Really? That team has wins over the 4-2 Hawks and 3-3 Pacers. You expected em to lay down for us?
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
Also: LaMelo is a stud. He had a huge fourth quarter. Great for Charlotte. That’s a fun young group of players they have that actually looks like a well constructed team. I would not be surprised to see them make the playoffs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(11-05-2023, 09:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They are the only undefeated team in the league and added Holiday and KP. Williams would be their 7th-8th guy off the bench.

Interesting that the Celtics have played the 28th-hardest schedule in the NBA so far.

Mavs not far behind at 25th-hardest.

Denver at 21st.

Makes me wonder is we'll see significant reversals of standings in the next couple of weeks.

http://powerrankingsguru.com/nba/strengt...hedule.php
Like Reply
That is interesting. But part of what makes their schedule rankings that poor is that nearly every team that’s played em takes an L.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • mvossman, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
Story of two halves. Horrible first one with shots not going in and non existing defense. Good second half and if it wasn't for LaMelo, it would be a much easier win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Personally, I got the sense that the Mavs’ effort increased greatly later in the 2nd half, especially relative to the first half. I think they might THINK they’re pretty good, and might be coasting a bit. I hate that, because it’s terribly bad practice, but on the other hand, this is another game that 100% would’ve been a loss last season. Their ability to win these close ones down the stretch, basically by simply choosing to, really is pretty interesting.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, donzingis38
Like Reply
(11-05-2023, 10:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Their ability to win these close ones down the stretch, basically by simply choosing to, really is pretty interesting.

I've yet to see a Grant Williams 3 that disappoints me.
I think that's made a difference from last season to this one.
GW makes it rain when it matters.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(11-05-2023, 10:44 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I've yet to see a Grant Williams 3 that disappoints me.
I think that's made a difference from last season to this one.
GW makes it rain when it matters.

Well, and the ball is finding open shooters down the stretch. Sure, it helps that they’re making the shots, but they’re GOOD shots.
Like Reply
(11-05-2023, 10:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, and the ball is finding open shooters down the stretch. Sure, it helps that they’re making the shots, but they’re GOOD shots.

Mavs always had good looks. GW is shooting 56 % from three on 7 attempts per game. This is a bit of an improvement over Bullock shooting 8 % from three in the first half of a season Smile
Like Reply
(11-05-2023, 10:14 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Pulled it off, that’s all that matters. 5-1 start is darn good, much better than expected. 

Also we‘re on track of having three rookie scale contract players in our rotation. Lively and Green are already in there, but Hardy might have earned it too. HUGE development for the organization.

Nothing against Curry/Exum but consolidating the backup guard minutes in favor of Hardy looks like a darn good move right now.

Lively with another big game. Over 30 minutes, positive plus minutes and very productive. His passing continues to be a seriously impressive part of his game, he easily could have had 2-3 more assists tonight again.

I'm glad Kidd decided to trust Hardy over Seth.  It definitely paid off tonight.  Hardy is so dynamic and fun to watch.  He's only going to get better.  I'm glad Seth is on the roster but hope he only plays when other guys are not available. 

The late 3rd quarter lineup of Kyrie, Hardy, Green, THJ and Powell was really energetic and fast.  It was also really successful.  I'm glad Kidd discovered that grouping and I hope he'll go back to it.

Williams, Lively and Hardy all had excellent games.  

Lamelo was awesome to watch and I'm glad we won despite his performance.

The concerning part of the game is the Luka injury.  He is clearly hurt.  I would prefer they sit him for a couple of weeks and let him recover.  

Overall, another encouraging win against an underrated opponent.  I think we have a good team.
Like Reply
This isn’t a knock on Lively but doesn’t it appear he could have had over 20 rebounds tonight? There are times he just doesn’t grasp the ball. That will come. I was actually expecting this a lot. I was not expecting the 13-14 rebound games. It is a great sign that he will eventually be an impactful Rebounder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply