Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: HOU Targeting Mikal Bridges again!| Mitchell is LAL #1 Target
(08-14-2023, 04:43 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Is there a way for the Mavericks to be the 3rd team in a James Harden trade to LAC? It would be nice for the Mavs FO to look for ways to get in on that since LAC and the 76ers have a few players who would fit good alongside Luka (or alongside Luka and Kyrie), such as... Norman Powell, De'Anthony Melton and Terance Mann.

I find it very difficult. Both teams are looking to win now. Philly looking for star return for Harden or at least flexibility to get in a position to trade for a star in near future. So I think expiring salary only. Both Philly and Clippers will probably not want to add additional salary but rather look for savings. Based on this, I think Philly only trades Harden and wants expiring and picks back (looks like Clippers are not willing to offer a star like PG in return). 

Clippers have a bunch of expirings and can trade 2028 and 2030 FRP. Dallas could help with 2027 pick. But, is there anything on Clippers roster worth that pick? I like Zubac, but I don't think he is worth 2027 pick, unless something else is coming back. But what? None of the Clippers youngsters moves the needle for me. I don't know, best I could come up with.

LAC: Holmes, McGee, 2027 (pick needed to get Harden)
Dal: Zubac, RoCo

Clippers do the trade only if they need the pick for Harden move, otherwise not. Mavs get a starting center on a very decent contract and useful wing on expiring deal while dumping two bad contracts. Everything considered, I don't think it is a very convincing deal for any side included.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, RGP1981
Like Reply
(08-14-2023, 01:32 PM)omahen Wrote: I find it very difficult. Both teams are looking to win now. Philly looking for star return for Harden or at least flexibility to get in a position to trade for a star in near future. So I think expiring salary only. Both Philly and Clippers will probably not want to add additional salary but rather look for savings. Based on this, I think Philly only trades Harden and wants expiring and picks back (looks like Clippers are not willing to offer a star like PG in return). 

Clippers have a bunch of expirings and can trade 2028 and 2030 FRP. Dallas could help with 2027 pick. But, is there anything on Clippers roster worth that pick? I like Zubac, but I don't think he is worth 2027 pick, unless something else is coming back. But what? None of the Clippers youngsters moves the needle for me. I don't know, best I could come up with.

Clippers do the trade only if they need the pick for Harden move, otherwise not. Mavs get a starting center on a very decent contract and useful wing on expiring deal while dumping two bad contracts. Everything considered, I don't think it is a very convincing deal for any side included.

Zubac would be perfect.  2yrs at a bargain $11m...  TDL 2025, hopefully Lively is ready.  You have a 28yo expiring Zubac, making it easy to trade him for that spent FRP.

Roco is declining, but is still a stopper.
Like Reply
(08-14-2023, 01:23 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Josh Green shot 40% on 2.8 attempts a game and Dort shot 33% at twice as many attempts (5.5).

While I would actually tend to think the trade proposal that started this conversation would be a good one for the Mavs because Dort can easily replace Green and you're getting Capela as well without giving up firsts, I would definitely prefer the Mavs really unleash Josh Green until the trade deadline to see what he looks like at higher volumes.  Someone needs to let him know his role is pretty set and he's not going to get yanked around for bad shooting nights or a mistake here and there.  Just always felt like he was still playing for minutes as opposed to just playing basketball last year despite seeing a lot of improvement in certain areas.

I believe that trade involved sending out an unprotected 27.  The idea being that Capela/Dort is significantly better than Holmes/Green.  It also puts us in a better long term cap position by getting off Timmy contract and having a long term contract in place for Dort.  I can see the appeal of this trade, but I think I prefer the wait and see approach.  I get the hope that Dort's efficiency will improve playing with Luka/Kyrie but he really doesn't shoot much better when wide open.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(08-14-2023, 02:44 PM)mvossman Wrote: I believe that trade involved sending out an unprotected 27.  The idea being that Capela/Dort is significantly better than Holmes/Green.  It also puts us in a better long term cap position by getting off Timmy contract and having a long term contract in place for Dort.  I can see the appeal of this trade, but I think I prefer the wait and see approach.  I get the hope that Dort's efficiency will improve playing with Luka/Kyrie but he really doesn't shoot much better when wide open.

Ya if the deal is Green + 27 then I'm not interested.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-13-2023, 03:08 PM)omahen Wrote: Totally agree on McGee. I doubt they will be paying someone to take his contract. After that, it is what you said.

As for 2027, circling all the teams, I just can't find anything that seems realistic for me. Other than Capela, really. I would love it if we could get AJ Griffin or Johnson back for the pick. But I am affraid Atlanta is more interested in young guys than picks. I would rather give up 2027 than Green in a deal, since trading Green just opens new hole. 

Would OKC consider trading Dort (I would still want a bit back, I don't think he is worth full 2027)? It wouldn't solve our center situation, but it never hurts to have good wings. Although, this brought me to an idea:

OKC: THJ, 2027 pick (could use some more shooting in their line-up)
Atl: Green, Holmes (young player and back-up center - I think Holmes makes more sense than McGee because of contract), asset from OKC
Dal: Dort, Capela

Neither Dort nor Capela are perfect, but they are better than what Mavs have at the moment. I am not really sure Green has it in him to become full time credible starter. Would love to, but it has been three years and still huge question marks. Dort is a better defender and not affraid to shoot it or drive to the basket. Could his efficiency improve in Dallas?
That is basically 2 separate trades. 

Holmes and Green for Capela. My trade swapped Green with McGee and added the 27, so honestly I don’t see much of a difference between mine and this, I’d rather have Green than the 27, looks like you’d rather the opposite. 

Then THJ and 27 for Dort. I like Dort, he’s basically Smart in a smaller market. This is a pretty decent trade too, especially considering, as a whole, the trade is a pressure release valve for the SG/SF spot minutes (2 for 1).

I’d prefer to figure out a way to add McGee in the trade, but since I’m fine with my trade, I’m fine with this too. Defense for offense is always good with a team who has been mostly offense for so long.
Like Reply
Are we still talking about Capella? Dude is on the serious decline and can't defend in space. At this point he's an immobile dinosaur. Want to see how well he'll play with G.Williams? See his time with J.Collins... not good.

I still like Z.Collins. He could be had for a lot cheaper in assets than J.Allen and is versatile as a F-C.
Like Reply
(08-14-2023, 01:32 PM)omahen Wrote: I find it very difficult. Both teams are looking to win now. Philly looking for star return for Harden or at least flexibility to get in a position to trade for a star in near future. So I think expiring salary only. Both Philly and Clippers will probably not want to add additional salary but rather look for savings. Based on this, I think Philly only trades Harden and wants expiring and picks back (looks like Clippers are not willing to offer a star like PG in return). 

Hmm, it would be nice to get Terance Mann instead of RoCo, even though I am not a fan of Zubac's fit with Luka/Kyrie (as Zubac is not mobile enough). Mann would fit nicely next to Luka/Kyrie as he is a good defensive player.

Kyrie, Mann/Green, Luka, G-Will, Zubac
Kyrie, Mann/Green, Luka, DJJ/O-Max, Kleber
Like Reply
(08-14-2023, 01:19 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I love how he never forces a shot. But I’d like him to take a few more contested shots as he gains confidence that they’ll actually go in.

Seems like Lively has the same basic tendency.

I’d settle for letting it fly 100% of the time he’s open.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, Jym, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-15-2023, 12:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’d settle for letting it fly 100% of the time he’s open.

Yup.  J.Green has to increase his attempts.
Like Reply
(08-15-2023, 12:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’d settle for letting it fly 100% of the time he’s open.

would do wonders for the team if he can get up to 14 or 15 ppg.
All the rotations and everything would make so much more sense and Kidd won't be tempted to play THJ over him
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(08-15-2023, 02:24 PM)Jym Wrote: would do wonders for the team if he can get up to 14 or 15 ppg.
All the rotations and everything would make so much more sense and Kidd won't be tempted to play THJ over him

The good news is his 3 point attempts have been on a steady incline year to year, although at the expense of 2 point shots.  Hopefully that trend continues.

Now for the bad news, our new starting power forward takes less shots per 36 than Green does, and only 1 more 3 pointer.  He is going to need to be more aggressive as well, although he may have move opportunities playing with Luka than he did in the past.
Like Reply
(08-14-2023, 05:50 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That is basically 2 separate trades. 

Holmes and Green for Capela. My trade swapped Green with McGee and added the 27, so honestly I don’t see much of a difference between mine and this, I’d rather have Green than the 27, looks like you’d rather the opposite. 

Then THJ and 27 for Dort. I like Dort, he’s basically Smart in a smaller market. This is a pretty decent trade too, especially considering, as a whole, the trade is a pressure release valve for the SG/SF spot minutes (2 for 1).

I’d prefer to figure out a way to add McGee in the trade, but since I’m fine with my trade, I’m fine with this too. Defense for offense is always good with a team who has been mostly offense for so long.

Dort is not really Smart.  He is not that level defensively, and he is not a playmaker on offense.  He is a good defender and a chucker on offense.
Like Reply
(08-15-2023, 03:25 PM)mvossman Wrote: The good news is his 3 point attempts have been on a steady incline year to year, although at the expense of 2 point shots.  Hopefully that trend continues.

Now for the bad news, our new starting power forward takes less shots per 36 than Green does, and only 1 more 3 pointer.  He is going to need to be more aggressive as well, although he may have move opportunities playing with Luka than he did in the past.

I don't want to dismiss any Williams concerns out of hand because we haven't even seen him play here yet, but I just keep coming back to the idea that his last team's TWO best players were both forwards. I think it's a huge testament to his talent that he even found a way onto the national fan radar, really. 

Won't know 'til we know, but I think he's about as ideal of a fit with Luka as possible, especially for the MLE price range.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, ItsGoTime, Smitty
Like Reply
If J.Green increases to 30mins/game his points would improve to 10.5.  If he played 30mins/game and took 10 FGA instead of 6.4, his points would improve to 16.4.  That seems very achievable and exactly what we need.  If he progresses that much, IMO he's close to untouchable.

This could be achieved by taking minutes and shots away from THJ.  Swap THJ's 30mins and 11.9fga.  That'd put J.Green's points to 19.5.
Like Reply
(08-15-2023, 04:06 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: If J.Green increases to 30mins/game his points would improve to 10.5.  If he played 30mins/game and took 10 FGA instead of 6.4, his points would improve to 16.4.  That seems very achievable and exactly what we need.  If he progresses that much, IMO he's close to untouchable.

This could be achieved by taking minutes and shots away from THJ.  Swap THJ's 30mins and 11.9fga.  That'd put J.Green's points to 19.5.

If you treat all nba stats as if they are linear trends, you're going to have a bad time.
Like Reply
(08-15-2023, 05:31 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: If you treat all nba stats as if they are linear trends, you're going to have a bad time.

Great, so drop his %s to DAL average 57% 2ptr and league average 37% 3ptr, you're at 18pts.  My apologies for being being a point off.
Like Reply
PJ is trolling Mavs fans

https://twitter.com/nolanc_45/status/169...97/photo/1
Like Reply
(08-15-2023, 07:22 PM)MFFL Wrote: PJ is trolling Mavs fans

https://twitter.com/nolanc_45/status/169...97/photo/1

I saw that crap and it got my hopes up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
C.Wood is a better flex F-C than P.Washington.  Washington is a below average defender, chucks from distance, and terrible rebounder.  Does anyone think we could start P.Washington with G.Williams?  I don't.

If we're going to go after a flex F-C who could start at C for us now and be in the C/F rotation in the future, the best candidate is Z.Collins.  It just depends on what SAS does with Wimby.  With their roster I would imagine Pops is going with the French frontcourt of Wimby/Sochan.
Like Reply
(08-16-2023, 11:18 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: C.Wood is a better flex F-C than P.Washington.  Washington is a below average defender, chucks from distance, and terrible rebounder.  Does anyone think we could start P.Washington with G.Williams?  I don't.

In what universe is PJ Washington a below average defender?  There are reasonable fit concerns, but lack of defense isn't one of them.

There are clearly issues with Wood beyond his production on the court, so I don't know why he keeps being brought up.  That ship has sailed.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply