Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Stein-Ingram Trade Inevitable| LAL Want Lebron Back On Any Terms
I think none of the remaining FA is worth more than BAE. A couple of interesting depth pieces, but none of them a starter. So I think Mavs are now focusing on a trade and if something materializes, they will fill the remaining holes later. They have positions filled as it is. Far from ideal on wing (still THJ) and center, but remaining FA don't improve that. If trade doesn't materializes, this is the team for the new season.

Irving, Hardy
Green, THJ, Curry
Luka, Exum
GW, Omax
Holmes, Maxi, Lively, McGee

My hope is now on Capela. Lots of rumors Atlanta is trying to use him as salary filler in a deal for one of the elite wings (KAT, Siakam). Neither Minny nor Toronto needs him. But no one will also just give him for nothing. Draft price was pick swap and Green. I would not give Green and also not whole 2027 FRP. So, can middle ground be reached with something more coming to Dallas?

Although, on the Atlanta front. Collins deal is official now, so they can't offer anymore salary relief in a big deal. Bogi can't be dealt till September, so their only appropriate salaries are Capela and Hunter. Alternatively Capela (or Hunter), Okongwu and Bey.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 12:42 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No sh*t PHJ Washington doesn´t sign for the MLE. No sh*t the Hornets would happily match it. Must be nice to get paid for posting such hot news.

My reaction has been who da fuq thinks PJ Washington is worth a 4/$80 mil contract?  Inefficient offensively. Not much defense or rebounding. Is he even better than Christian Wood?

He's unsigned because no one wants to give him that much money.
Like Reply
This is Patty Mills fourth team in a week (BKN, Houston, OKC and now Atlanta). Great deal for OKC, who first received 2 SRP to eat Mills and now additional 2 young players and another SRP.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1677756401613979649

OKC has a gazillion players under contract now. According to Spotrac, they had 19 players even before this deal. Gay will be waived for sure. I wonder which of the youngsters are also going out.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 02:30 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: My reaction has been who da fuq thinks PJ Washington is worth a 4/$80 mil contract?  Inefficient offensively. Not much defense or rebounding. Is he even better than Christian Wood?

He's unsigned because no one wants to give him that much money.

IT is a little more complicated than that... My guess is he will get 4/$75 million, BUT it can't be a straight S&T because Charlotte has to make enough room under the cap to fit his 1st year salary to prevent it from becoming BYC. IF BYC hits they can only take back 50% of the salary and that would take teams like Dallas (hard capped) out of the equation. While I don't think Charlotte is desperate to stay under the cap, the deals have to keep them under the TAX far enough to sign Oubre.
Like Reply
Crazy idea... Resign Wood. Waive Holmes ($12m) and sign Wood for the same contract... $24m over 2 years, but 2nd year TO.

Kyrie, Hardy, Exum
Green, Curry
Luka, THJ
G.Will, Maxi, OMax
Wood, Powell, Lively

From where we are now, replacing Holmes with Wood makes a lot of sense. We'd be giving 1 more year to fit in, or we don't exercise the TO next year.
Like Reply
[Image: F0itht7aQAAXidx.jpg?width=1818&height=1022]
Shocked they seem so motivated to trade THJ.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 03:50 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Crazy idea...  Resign Wood.  Waive Holmes ($12m) and sign Wood for the same contract...  $24m over 2 years, but 2nd year TO.

Kyrie, Hardy, Exum
Green, Curry
Luka, THJ
G.Will, Maxi, OMax
Wood, Powell, Lively

From where we are now, replacing Holmes with Wood makes a lot of sense.  We'd be giving 1 more year to fit in, or we don't exercise the TO next year.

Another crazy idea…

Keep Holmes and resign Wood to the vet minimum.

…if the team thinks he’s worth that.
[-] The following 7 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • F Gump, Ghost of Podkolzin, khaled1987, MFFL, mvossman, omahen, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 03:50 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Crazy idea...  Resign Wood.  Waive Holmes ($12m) and sign Wood for the same contract...  $24m over 2 years, but 2nd year TO.

Kyrie, Hardy, Exum
Green, Curry
Luka, THJ
G.Will, Maxi, OMax
Wood, Powell, Lively

From where we are now, replacing Holmes with Wood makes a lot of sense.  We'd be giving 1 more year to fit in, or we don't exercise the TO next year.

A better crazy idea. Let Wood walk away for the minimum to another team. Nobody is breaking down the door to sign him so I think that's what his market value is now (maybe it's slightly higher).

Heck, I would entertain the notion of helping with a sign and trade if we got a 2nd (or got rid of McGee too) and stay under the tax line (I think the Mavs should stay under the tax this year to put off the repeater tax as long as possible).
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 02:45 PM)omahen Wrote: This is Patty Mills fourth team in a week (BKN, Houston, OKC and now Atlanta). Great deal for OKC, who first received 2 SRP to eat Mills and now additional 2 young players and another SRP.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1677756401613979649

OKC has a gazillion players under contract now. According to Spotrac, they had 19 players even before this deal. Gay will be waived for sure. I wonder which of the youngsters are also going out.

That seems like a super smart gamble by OKC.  Two young former first rounders who were lost in the Houston Mess.   To get them for basically nothing is pretty nice.  I would take either over Wright and McGee and not look back.   

I need to look at OKC roster.  There is no way they can keep everyone and they have a lot of fringe guys who would interest me.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 03:17 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: IT is a little more complicated than that... My guess is he will get 4/$75 million, BUT it can't be a straight S&T because Charlotte has to make enough room under the cap to fit his 1st year salary to prevent it from becoming BYC. IF BYC hits they can only take back 50% of the salary and that would take teams like Dallas (hard capped) out of the equation. While I don't think Charlotte is desperate to stay under the cap, the deals have to keep them under the TAX far enough to sign Oubre.

It probably won't matter to know, but CHA's need is to be "under the cap" after such a trade is done, not before -- so what would matter is the salary they get back, not what PJW makes. But if they have a desire to keep Oubre, his rights (or contract) will be on the cap and prevent PJW from being able to be an under-cap snt at the numbers he's been chasing.

The over-cap route is actually possible, even with the BYC issues. If we theorize THJ as the outgoing, the number for PJW year 1 would have to be ~20.8M as a minimum, so the smallest possible 4 yr snt deal would be ~77M. If you don't like those numbers for PJW, maybe you say "Too bad, but our MLE money isn't enough for him" when asked.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 04:54 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: That seems like a super smart gamble by OKC.  Two young former first rounders who were lost in the Houston Mess.   To get them for basically nothing is pretty nice.  I would take either over Wright and McGee and not look back.   

I need to look at OKC roster.  There is no way they can keep everyone and they have a lot of fringe guys who would interest me.

Poku baby. Cool
Like Reply

Kyrie, Hardy, Exum
Green, Curry
Luka, THJ
G.Will, Maxi, OMax
Wood, Powell, Lively

That relationship is cooked. There's no upside to bringing him back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 03:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: F0itht7aQAAXidx.jpg?width=1818&height=1022]
Surprised to see Hardaway there.  But I guess most players aren't going to turn down a trip to Vegas.    Where is Dwight?  I thought him, Josh and Maxi are a packaged deal.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 03:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: F0itht7aQAAXidx.jpg?width=1818&height=1022]

The better question is why is Kyrie flipping us all off?
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, omahen, The Jom
Like Reply

Looks like no one wanted THJ.

(07-08-2023, 05:08 PM)cow Wrote: The better question is why is Kyrie flipping us all off?

HELA

Irving's mother, Elizabeth Ann Larson, was a member of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and lived on a reservation prior to being adopted at an early age. She passed away when Irving was just four years old, and he has subsequently explored his connection to the tribe as an adult.

That curiosity led Irving to participate in a naming ceremony in Cannon Ball, N.D., alongside his sister, Asia, in 2018.

He was given the Lakota name Hélà (pronounced HAY'-law), which means "Little Mountain," in an auditorium filled with more than 1,000 members of the tribe. His sister was given the name Tatanka Winyan (tuh-TONG'-kuh WEE'-yun), which translates to "Buffalo Woman."
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply

Kyrie, Hardy, Exum
Green, Curry
Luka, THJ
G.Will, Maxi, OMax
Wood, Powell, Lively

Waiving an NBA player is a last resort move. It gives the team who is waiving said player absolutely no benefits, as the salary still counts against the cap only they can't actually use the player. 

Typically waiving happens right at the end of a contract where the penalty is over by June and doesn't affect the team long term. Waiving Holmes does absolutely ZERO. Let me repeat. Waiving Holmes at any point right now gives absolutely no benefit to the Mavs as his 12 mil is still counted on the salary sheet for this year AND next year.

If anything waiving Holmes would put the Mavs in a worse position given that they now have 12 mil of dead cap, lost a rotation player, and need to stay under 172 mil while replacing Holmes and whatever else they need.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Ghost of Podkolzin, MFFL, mvossman, Okstate819
Like Reply

(07-08-2023, 05:13 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: He was given the Lakota name Hélà (pronounced HAY'-law), which means "Flat Earth"

FIFY
Like Reply
Wow. Pop signs for 5 more years

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5848803331

Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania)
Just In: San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich – the winningest NBA coach of all-time – has signed a new five-year contract extension with the franchise.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 04:37 PM)MFFL Wrote: A better crazy idea. Let Wood walk away for the minimum to another team. Nobody is breaking down the door to sign him so I think that's what his market value is now (maybe it's slightly higher).

Heck, I would entertain the notion of helping with a sign and trade if we got a 2nd (or got rid of McGee too) and stay under the tax line (I think the Mavs should stay under the tax this year to put off the repeater tax as long as possible).

What any player is worth to another team is immaterial.  It's what that player is worth to us.

Point is Wood gives us flexibility in the frontcourt that our current roster.  For whatever price we can get him, it'll be better value than what we can get for him.  If we can get him for the vet min, it's a no-brainer.

What alternative to getting Wood back is better than getting Wood back?

(07-08-2023, 05:32 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Waiving an NBA player is a last resort move. It gives the team who is waiving said player absolutely no benefits, as the salary still counts against the cap only they can't actually use the player. 

Typically waiving happens right at the end of a contract where the penalty is over by June and doesn't affect the team long term. Waiving Holmes does absolutely ZERO. Let me repeat. Waiving Holmes at any point right now gives absolutely no benefit to the Mavs as his 12 mil is still counted on the salary sheet for this year AND next year.

If anything waiving Holmes would put the Mavs in a worse position given that they now have 12 mil of dead cap, lost a rotation player, and need to stay under 172 mil while replacing Holmes and whatever else they need.

Thanks.  Point taken.  Under the CBA, what are our options to resign Wood?
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 06:01 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote:

Thanks.  Point taken.  Under the CBA, what are our options to resign Wood?

Wood SnT's are tricky right now as the Mavs are hard-capped at 172. If Wood wants to take a contract for less than 10 mil a year, then maybe something can happen there, but it's unlikely. 

Someone did point out that the Mavs could potentially SnT Wood before the Grant trade is finalized, but the real question is what
team is paying assets for Wood right now? Especially when the general consensus is that he can be had for a vet min contract?

Right now, for all intents and purposes, Wood does not exist to the Mavericks. The relationship and bridge was burnt. There are a multitude of reasons why, but it doesn't really matter now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply