Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Stein-Ingram Trade Inevitable| LAL Want Lebron Back On Any Terms
I think Nico Harrison is looking really sharp this offseason.  I also think Dennis Lindsay may have changed the way this franchise is run.   This is the best Maverick summer I can recall in many years.  If we successfully grab Matisse Thybulle with the MLE, we will have won the offseason.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, Dahlsim
Like Reply
From Wikipedia:

His mother, Teresa Johnson, is an electrical engineer for NASA.[23] His father, Gilbert, is a jazz artist and former college basketball player, who has worked as a bodyguard for musicians, including Prince.[24] He is a cousin of former NBA players Salim and Damon Stoudamire.[25] Turning down offers from Ivy League schools Harvard and Yale,[26] Williams graduated from Tennessee in three years with a degree in business.[27] At Tennessee, he received the C & C Millwright Athletic Scholarship.[28]

Williams was an All-Southeastern Conference player as a freshman, sophomore and junior for the Tennessee Volunteers.[2] He was awarded back-to-back SEC Player of the Year honors for the 2017–18 and 2018–19 seasons, becoming the first player to do so since Corliss Williamson in 1995.[7][8] Williams led Tennessee as a third seed in the 2018 NCAA tournament and second seed in the 2019 NCAA tournament.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:16 PM)Jym Wrote: 4/$54

That´s a reasonable gamble. I´m not convinced how much upside there is, but there are arguments why he might have been overlooked in free agency. He´s undersized with a fat ass, aka Sir Grant Barkley. Could improve with a bigger offensive role. I´d feel a lot more comfortable with PJ Washington, but hey I wanted them to gamble on younger upside and they did.

The pick swap will be fascinating. Fair play to Spurs gambling on Mavs being trash, if Luka runs away.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This hard caps them at the first apron, no? A sign and trade? I would think that in lieu of another deal, this means a full MLE offer can’t be made to Thybulle. If they didn’t have quite enough before, they’ll be even farther away now.

Dan, am I crazy?
The deal looks like 12-13M starting with Bullock making 10M so unless we get some big relief in another trade, yes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Great deal. Bullock for Williams just made too much sense.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This hard caps them at the first apron, no? A sign and trade? I would think that in lieu of another deal, this means a full MLE offer can’t be made to Thybulle. If they didn’t have quite enough before, they’ll be even farther away now.

Dan, am I crazy?

According to Spotrac the Mavs are 10.38 below the first apron. Could be less if Holmes gets his trade kicker.
Like Reply
Ok now the Thybulle thing makes more sense (and I'm mentally preparing for that to be full MLE as well).

I love the addition of Grand Williams and the fit and I'm trying to stay positive about this move but...

There is a real possibility now where we are watching a Luka-less team win 20 games in 2030 just to pick dead last. The Spurs are geniuses, literally nothing to lose and came out like bandits.
Like Reply
Some highlights from the previous season 21-22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reQVTTAhUjA
Like Reply
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
13m
The Mavericks are acquiring Celtics restricted free agent Grant Williams on a four-year, $54 million deal via sign-and-trade, per sources. WME Sports’ Bill Duffy and Erik Kabe completed the new contract for Williams.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: According to Spotrac the Mavs are 10.38 below the first apron. Could be less if Holmes gets his trade kicker.

Yes, I’m seeing about $9 million. I assume that’s WITH the trade kicker.

I bet that’s what the Thybulle offer will be.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:25 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
13m
The Mavericks are acquiring Celtics restricted free agent Grant Williams on a four-year, $54 million deal via sign-and-trade, per sources. WME Sports’ Bill Duffy and Erik Kabe completed the new contract for Williams.

Reggie Bullock and 2nds is what I'm seeing. I can get behind this move no problem

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5393829889
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:24 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Ok now the Thybulle thing makes more sense (and I'm mentally preparing for that to be full MLE as well).

I love the addition of Grand Williams and the fit and I'm trying to stay positive about this move but...

There is a real possibility now where we are watching a Luka-less team win 20 games in 2030 just to pick dead last.  The Spurs are geniuses, literally nothing to lose and came out like bandits.

Unless more salary is shed, it literally can’t be the full MLE. They are now hard capped at the first apron.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: According to Spotrac the Mavs are 10.38 below the first apron. Could be less if Holmes gets his trade kicker.

There is always the option to stretch-waive McGee as an emergency. So far the Mavs are close enough that they don´t run into any major difficulties.

But I think most signs point to one more trade of THJ + McGee + 2027. PJ Washington makes sense.
Like Reply
Is Nico a God? Woj saying Dallas receiveing two seconds. What?
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL
Like Reply
Just enough for a Thybulle offer
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:22 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That´s a reasonable gamble. I´m not convinced how much upside there is, but there are arguments why he might have been overlooked in free agency. He´s undersized with a fat ass, aka Sir Grant Barkley. Could improve with a bigger offensive role. I´d feel a lot more comfortable with PJ Washington, but hey I wanted them to gamble on younger upside and they did.

The pick swap will be fascinating. Fair play to Spurs gambling on Mavs being trash, if Luka runs away.

Yeah unprotected picks in 2029 and 30. So just a little scary if this thing falls apart but I have infinitely more confidence in the front office at the moment than I've had in years
[-] The following 3 users Like Jym's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I'm all for deals that bring in youth and talent. I'll admit that on paper Williams doesn't excite me any more that Thybulle would, but I haven't watched the man play very much so hopefully this pays off.
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Compensation update: Boston and Dallas will each receive two second-round picks in the deal.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:32 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Compensation update: Boston and Dallas will each receive two second-round picks in the deal.

A truly shocking turn of events. I like it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Like Reply