Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: HOU Targeting Mikal Bridges again!| Mitchell is LAL #1 Target
Mavs are not that stupid, to not know the implications of Powell contract

Option 1: there simply isn't a MLE deal worth having. Killer said, perhaps they hoped for Brooks, while other possible targets might not be available for MLE or Mavs don't consider them worthy of full MLE
Option 2: Mavs are reducing more salary via trade. McGee makes no sense on this roster and I can see them dumping him. This would again open full MLE
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:51 PM)Dirknows Wrote: The signing of Curry makes me believe THJ will absolutely be traded, probably a swap of bad contracts for a big.

Would rather it be for a wing. How bad of a contract is DeAndre Hunter considered around the league? Big forward is the biggest need by far. Can roll with Holmes/Lively/Powell/Maxi getting 5 minutes.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:46 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I just don't understand how the Mavs have blown this so bad, yet again.

The annual July disappointment 

They somehow managed to make the team even worse. Holmes is completely washed, Powell and Curry have both declined and they loose their best bench players in Wood. The rooks are fun and I am actually okay with how Kidd has handled Hardy and Green which gives hope here, but damn. It‘s 2023 and their answers are still Seth Curry and Dwight Powell. What’s next? A DFS trade?

This lack of creativity and vision is baffling.

Also the inability to get their guys continues to make them look like a joke. Didn’t they bring in Harrison and Kidd for their relationships? So why does still nobody want to sign here?
[-] The following 3 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • BigDirk41, omahen, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Not sure if it was mentioned - Portland doesn't want Herro and wants third team involved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:54 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs are not that stupid, to not know the implications of Powell contract

Option 1: there simply isn't a MLE deal worth having. Killer said, perhaps they hoped for Brooks, while other possible targets might not be available for MLE or Mavs don't consider them worthy of full MLE
Option 2: Mavs are reducing more salary via trade. McGee makes no sense on this roster and I can see them dumping him. This would again open full MLE

This. All I know is that this is NOT too much to pay for Dwight Powell. He’s going to make in 3 years just a smidge more than he made THIS PAST SEASON. 

Further, he IS the Mavs’ locker room culture right now, especially if you trade THJ. That has been headed south since they let Brunson walk, and Powell can probably really help with the youngsters. Some will roll their eyes about this comment, but I’m sorry, it’s important.
[-] The following 7 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BoredAssistant, DallasMaverick, Jmaciscool, khaled1987, mvossman, SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This. All I know is that this is NOT too much to pay for Dwight Powell. He’s going to make in 3 years just a smidge more than he made THIS PAST SEASON. 

Further, he IS the Mavs’ locker room culture right now, especially if you trade THJ. That has been headed south since they let Brunson walk, and Powell can probably really help with the youngsters. Some will roll their eyes about this comment, but I’m sorry, it’s important.

I'm the biggest Diamond fan here.  I still don't understand the need to give him three years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:56 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: The annual July disappointment 

They somehow managed to make the team even worse. Holmes is completely washed, Powell and Curry have both declined and they loose their best bench players in Wood. The rooks are fun and I am actually okay with how Kidd has handled Hardy and Green which gives hope here, but damn. It‘s 2023 and their answers are still Seth Curry and Dwight Powell. What’s next? A DFS trade?

This lack of creativity and vision is baffling.

Also the inability to get their guys continues to make them look like a joke. Didn’t they bring in Harrison and Kidd for their relationships? So why does still nobody want to sign here?

We have gone from Nico is Damian Lillard´s best friend. They are like brothers and if Lillard ever demands a trade....

to....

....maybe there was no better player in FA left than Dwight Powell.

Somebody really just typed that into his computer and pressed send.

(07-01-2023, 04:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This. All I know is that this is NOT too much to pay for Dwight Powell. He’s going to make in 3 years just a smidge more than he made THIS PAST SEASON. 

You know what´s also important to win. TALENT.

Our 3rd best player (THJ) would be the 6th man on at least 10 other teams in the West.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply

Nothing to complain here about the signing individually. But right now - as always - we’re looking at another year of Dwight being our starting Center by a landslide.

That wasn’t good enough three years ago. Knowing how the Mavs tend to fumble their offseasons I don’t see how this suddenly changes.

As of now I’m expecting all of Bullock, Kleber, Powell, Hardaway being back with Holmes and Curry being their veteran additions who will play a ton.

At that point - as always - you gotta wonder what they think they’re building towards with that barrage of JAG-types on the roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:04 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: We have gone from Nico is Damian Lillard´s best friend. They are like brothers and if Lillard ever demands a trade....

to....

....maybe there was no better player in FA left than Dwight Powell.

Somebody really just typed that into his computer and pressed send.

You know what´s also important to win. TALENT.

Our 3rd best player (THJ) would be the 6th man on at least 10 other teams in the West.

Luke > Kyrie > Hardy > O'Max > Timmy
Like Reply
Entire "We are just starting. Remaking the entire center rotation" story is going to age just as bad as "We can pay him more than anyone else".
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Sorry guys, but unless there's some big move to be made that we don't know about, this off-season was an epic fail as far as being better next year. We now have young promising talent, but we didn't add one quality starter. This is a fail unless something changes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • MAVS-SLO
Like Reply
Supposedly Houston expressed interest in Powell. Can't see McMahon's tweet though because twitter sucks. Did the Rockets really just troll us into giving him three years?
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:11 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Supposedly Houston expressed interest in Powell. Can't see McMahon's tweet though because twitter sucks. Did the Rockets really just troll us into giving him three years?

It's been rumored for a few days now.  The team needs leadership and FVV + Powell could fill that void.
Like Reply
4/80 for Brooks
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:11 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Supposedly Houston expressed interest in Powell. Can't see McMahon's tweet though because twitter sucks. Did the Rockets really just troll us into giving him three years?

^Houston clearly lost out. They had to settle for Landale after Dwight was off the market.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:18 PM)cow Wrote: 4/80 for Brooks

Damn. That at least makes me feel better to know we weren't a viable option.
Like Reply
Looking at Houston and their depth chart now

FVV, KPJ, Mills
Green, Thompson, Christopher
Brooks, Whitmore, Tate
Smith, KMj, Eason
Sengun,

They actually do need another center. KPj seems very redundant now
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:18 PM)cow Wrote: 4/80 for Brooks

3/130 39.3% FG 34.2% from 3
4/80   39.6% FG 32.6% from 3

Rockets have a type.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Landale to Houston too.
Like Reply
Looks an awful lot like they’re done:

Irving | Hardy
Hardaway | Curry
Green | Bullock
Doncic | Kleber | OMax
Powell | Holmes | Lively | McGee

They’ll probably bring back Justin Holiday or a similar cheap veteran but that’s about it I’d imagine.
Like Reply