Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
Cato had a draft article today and he is clearly still learning about the prospects but here was his ending.

Dallas’ dream trade-down scenario, to me, would be exchanging the No. 10 selection for a spot in the late teens to select Lively or the early 20s for Hood-Schifino or Hawkins. If they could do that while receiving some sort of defense-first veteran who could immediately receive rotation minutes, that’s a clear win. But it would take a willing team, and perhaps the right prospect falling, for that to happen.

Let me add besides saying the mavs won’t draft Dick, the rest is not based on any intel. Reads as someone who recently started listening to draft podcasts. Not the worst thing but not much meat imo.
Like Reply
(05-28-2023, 08:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think picks 3&4 will be Interesting.  OG from Toronto is very good but personally I think he is a tad overrated.  Despite being the type of player everyone wants.  So if I am Toronto and if I can get pick #3, I might be very inclined.  I have not looked at Scoot a ton but this gives Toronto a reboot.  Would Portland need to include more?  Could you get similar value for Siakam? 

Pick 4 is also Interesting.  Amen is a guy that fits their recent guys they have gone after.
Would it be crazy for Tor to trade Siakam for #3 and OG for #4?
Like Reply
Scoot would be a great fit in Toronto if Charlotte doesnt take him at #2.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/...55106?s=46&t=-bN4oD2OLU_Ue80HIM_CZQ

The Dallas pick creates an intriguing swing spot in the lottery, with the Mavs looking to stay competitive around Luka Doncic and wielding this pick as a useful trade chip in improving the roster. That said, the Mavs should be in the market to improve their frontcourt no matter what, and grabbing Hendricks, who provides both rim protection and floor spacing, would be a feasible step in that direction. Hendricks is in play with teams all over the lottery due to his versatility and the intrinsic value of his skill set. -- Woo
Like Reply
Not sure what they are doing but if there is truth to it all the reports about DAL wanting to trade the pick or not being high on individual players like Gradey D that would not exactly be helpful for the value of #10 around the league. Therefore I’m hopeful that it’s just noise from the outside.

Also gotta say that almost every single one of the trade down / out scenarios discussed around here seem like selling low on the pick to me. Stuff like moving down for Olynyk leaves me almost speechless lol.

At this point we’re probably better off just keeping the pick instead of looking for another short term fix. Afterall that’s what got us into this mess to begin with.
Like Reply
Isaac raised an interesting question on today’s Locked On podcast.  #10 straight up for Okongwu?
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 09:54 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Isaac raised an interesting question on today’s Locked On podcast.  #10 straight up for Okongwu?
On Discord I proposed this very deal when someone said Atl wanted to keep Capela [my original proposal was trade down to #15 to swap Bertans (money savings to pay the 3 guys they got to pay next offseason) with Capela].

I think 1 of the 2 guys needs to be moved on that team.
Like Reply
I also like the idea of getting Stewart from Det. They might want to hold off for another year as they’re trying to make Stewart into a stretch 4. I guess it depends on who they draft at #5.
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 09:27 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Not sure what they are doing but if there is truth to it all the reports about DAL wanting to trade the pick or not being high on individual players like Gradey D that would not exactly be helpful for the value of #10 around the league. Therefore I’m hopeful that it’s just noise from the outside.

Also gotta say that almost every single one of the trade down / out scenarios discussed around here seem like selling low on the pick to me. Stuff like moving down for Olynyk leaves me almost speechless lol.

At this point we’re probably better off just keeping the pick instead of looking for another short term fix. Afterall that’s what got us into this mess to begin with.

Didn’t know Woo had moved to ESPN. Thanks for posting.
Like Reply
Hendricks at less than 45% at rim on layups and non dunks? Bust alert? Hope he goes earlier than 10.
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 09:54 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Isaac raised an interesting question on today’s Locked On podcast.  #10 straight up for Okongwu?

No thanks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VintagePejav2's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
I'd probably trade #10 for Okongwu.

also Jarrett Allen or Nic Claxton
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 01:06 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I'd probably trade #10 for Okongwu.

I concur. Would be interested in all three deals.
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 01:06 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I'd probably trade #10 for Okongwu.

This should be the top priority.  Getting one of these three (there may be a few others) for #10 would make a huge difference.  There would still be work to be done, but a move like this would actually give me hope.

What the hell happened to the like button?
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 02:08 PM)mvossman Wrote: What the hell happened to the like button?
Server software update made the addons we had obsolete since they weren’t being upkept anymore. Our admins have some software that should work, just need to upload it and get it configured. Hopefully it happens soon.
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 02:19 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Server software update made the addons we had obsolete since they weren’t being upkept anymore. Our admins have some software that should work, just need to upload it and get it configured. Hopefully it happens soon.

Thanks.  I would like this, but ...
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 02:20 PM)mvossman Wrote: Thanks.  I would like this, but ...
Yes, I’m finding the like button absence to be a bit more painful than I had previously thought. Don’t know what you got, till it’s gone!
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 09:27 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Not sure what they are doing but if there is truth to it all the reports about DAL wanting to trade the pick or not being high on individual players like Gradey D that would not exactly be helpful for the value of #10 around the league. Therefore I’m hopeful that it’s just noise from the outside.

It is sort of odd that the one guy Cato has gotten feedback on is the white guy.    Maybe it is because he saw him mocked to Dallas.  Sort of odd and a little disservice to Dick.   I haven't developed a firm opinion of him yet.  He may not be the elite defender we need, but he is not some stiff running out there.  He is a 6'8 pretty good athlete who can shoot well.    He is a much better athlete than Bullock.  Anyway, just sort of weird he is the only guy Cato could get someone to say, Heck no...we don't want the white dude.  

Regarding ESPN's mock draft, Givoney has this order: Wemby, Miller, Scoot, Amen, Cam, Ausur, Walker, Black, Hood-Schifino, Hendricks, Dick, Smith Jr, Hawkins, Lively.   

Hood Schifino is the interesting one and many think he does not project that high.  But I have seen some Wallace or Bufkin to Utah.   But if Dallas has no interest in the white dude, then this could be a tough place if Hendricks goes before 10.

some draft intel from the ESPN mock draft:

randon Miller's camp says it is hoping he can do enough on his June 10 visit in Charlotte to convince the Hornets to give him assurances they'll pick him at this spot, something that might hinge more on how he performs in his interview arrived holding a legal brief written by his attorneys informing teams that he would not be able to comment on specific details regarding his involvement in the lead-up to the fatal shooting of Jamea Jonae Harris. It's the biggest factor holding him back from being the easy choice at No. 2"

"Sources say Scoot Henderson is also very interested in Charlotte's situation and would welcome hearing his name called second, as much due to geographic proximity to his hometown of Marietta, Georgia, as the excitement over new ownership that is potentially taking over the Hornets org"

"Cam Whitmore helped his cause by putting his tremendous physical tools and overall talent on display at the WME pro day in Santa Barbara, California. Pretty much every NBA representative in attendance walked away highly impressed by the considerable long-term upside he possesses"

"Many NBA eyebrows were raised last week when Jarace Walker called off his pro day appearance in Santa Barbara at the last minute, despite looking completely healthy. The immediate suspicion among teams was that a team has elected to "shut him down""

"Although Jordan Hawkins is widely viewed as the top shooter in the draft, there's a bit of disagreement among executives as to where exactly he becomes worth the bet, whether that's late lottery range or further down"

"Dereck Lively II is another player who generated significant buzz at the Klutch pro day, appearing to be in outstanding shape physically, shooting the ball exceptionally well from the perimeter and bringing a degree of intensity and aggressiveness we didn't always see in his lone season at Duke. He'll have to validate that in private workouts, but the dearth of big men in this class gives him the ability to be a riser on draft night"

"Jett Howard is a bit of a polarizing prospect in this class, as he seems to have some real fans in NBA front offices, but also some teams weren't impressed at all with what they saw from him in Big Ten play as he was playing hurt"

"Rayan Rupert is being selective with the teams he visits, prioritizing roster fit and strong development situations on playoff-caliber teams rather than trying to be selected as high as possible"

"Brice Sensabaugh has been hobbled by a knee issue he suffered late in Ohio State's season, which required surgery and has thus far prevented him from conducting competitive team workouts, a source told ESPN"

Draft Intel - Teams:

"There's been some chatter that the Orlando Magic might not keep both of their lottery picks -- they should certainly have options if they choose to try to move around"

"Most NBA executives expect the OKC Thunder to be active in trade discussions looking to potentially package the 12th pick and future first-rounders in an attempt to move up on draft night, which makes sense considering the shortage of roster spots the Thunder could be working with moving forward with all the talent they've accumulated"
Like Reply
Some Detroit trade back ideas from the Athletic. I think the first one could make OKC scary.

1) Detroit receives No. 12 in 2023, 2024 first and 2025 first
Oklahoma City receives Nos. 5 and 31 in 2023, Bojan Bogdanović

2) Detroit receives No. 9 in 2023 and a 2025 first-round pick (via Minnesota)
Utah receives No. 5 in 2023

3) Detroit receives No. 8 in 2023, Corey Kispert and Delon Wright
Washington receives Nos. 5 and 31 in 2023, James Wiseman
Like Reply
(05-31-2023, 10:09 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: On Discord I proposed this very deal when someone said Atl wanted to keep Capela [my original proposal was trade down to #15 to swap Bertans (money savings to pay the 3 guys they got to pay next offseason) with Capela].

I think 1 of the 2 guys needs to be moved on that team.

Yeah, I think #10 for Okongwu is a no brainer.

Maybe a harder question since his value is all over the place.  Would you do Bertans/McGee or Bertans/Reggie for John Collins and swap #10 down to #15?   The theory being Atlanta gets the better pick and a year from now clears money.  Dallas gets a useful player in a position of need for some dead weight, but still stays in the middle of the first round.
Like Reply