Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: 76ers Believe They Have A Shot at PG13
(05-22-2023, 05:06 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Sorry, I'm employed.

Deeply sorry that I tried to engange in a discussion that included facts and numbers to back up my case. With better "trust me bro" skills that wouldn´t be necessary.
Like Reply
(05-22-2023, 04:23 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: We were 30th in rebounding last year and are ready to let go our best rebounder.  To ignore our rebounding woes is ignorant.  

Hmm, fairly aggressively insulting, but I guess that’s what passes for discourse around here these days. 

My counter would be, I suppose, that if the Mavs were truly so bad in rebounding, perhaps a “me-first” sort of rebounder like Wood isn’t the answer. Perhaps he is part of the problem, rather than the solution. 

I’ll just say again: I don’t immediately assume that players who compile piles of rebounds are all that helpful in the aim to win modern basketball games. In fact, my bias almost has me leaning the other way. 

Your Jokic example is a good one, because he has the ball inside pretty often, so he’s not JUST a big guy out there thinking “go get ball”…to that point, neither is Wood, and count me in the camp that believes he got less than a totally fair opportunity here, but you can’t deny that the league-wide opinion of him seems to flow in one direction, damn near exclusively. 

The problem with the Mavs isn’t rebounding - it’s their inability to force opponents to create rebound opportunities by missing shots. One of those things seems infinitely more important than the other to me, but what do I know? I’m just ignorant.
Like Reply
(05-22-2023, 05:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hmm, fairly aggressively insulting, but I guess that’s what passes for discourse around here these days. 

My counter would be, I suppose, that if the Mavs were truly so bad in rebounding, perhaps a “me-first” sort of rebounder like Wood isn’t the answer. Perhaps he is part of the problem, rather than the solution. 

I’ll just say again: I don’t immediately assume that players who compile piles of rebounds are all that helpful in the aim to win modern basketball games. In fact, my bias almost has me leaning the other way. 

Your Jokic example is a good one, because he has the ball inside pretty often, so he’s not JUST a big guy out there thinking “go get ball”…to that point, neither is Wood, and count me in the camp that believes he got less than a totally fair opportunity here, but you can’t deny that the league-wide opinion of him seems to flow in one direction, damn near exclusively. 

The problem with the Mavs isn’t rebounding - it’s their inability to force opponents to create rebound opportunities by missing shots. One of those things seems infinitely more important than the other to me, but what do I know? I’m just ignorant.

Sorry, I meant the front office, not you.  We are horrible at rebounding, yet they're letting our best rebounder walk because Kidd can't coach.

You make a good point about lowering opponent fg% to get more rebound opportunities.  That is a problem, but doesn't negate the horrible rebounding% we have with the opportunities that come.  We're also 30th in rebounding%.

Given a defensive rebound changes possession and initiates the fast break, you can't look at it in a bubble.  Yes, gone are the days of lumbering bigs who sit under the basket, but what is important is rebounding at all 5 positions.  We are awful at 4 positions.  There's a reason all modern MVP candidates are great rebounders because it's baked in their game.

This is why I don't want Turner on this roster.  Dude is a terrible rebounder for his position.

Jarrett Allen is really perfect for this roster, especially if lightning strikes and we don't let Wood walk.

IMO, our biggest holes in rebounding is at SF.  Even DFS wasn't great, but THJ and Bullock are abysmal.  Someone like Tari Eason would be ideal.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1660756478477873153
Like Reply
(05-22-2023, 06:55 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1660756478477873153
Funny, watching the Cleveland guys video, they were luke warm on a THJ for Allen trade, but were pretty happy with a Maxi, Bullock and McGee for Allen and Dean Wade trade. No picks. I’d rather have Allen than Ayton on court player. Then considering the contracts and trades proposed to get them? Allen in a landslide.
Like Reply
(05-22-2023, 07:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Funny, watching the Cleveland guys video, they were luke warm on a THJ for Allen trade, but were pretty happy with a Maxi, Bullock and McGee for Allen and Dean Wade trade. No picks. I’d rather have Allen than Ayton on court player. Then considering the contracts and trades proposed to get them? Allen in a landslide.

Spot on.  Their games are different, but Ayton so reminds me of Roy Hibbert.  Neither have any heart.  Got their money and stopped working.  When looking at Ayton objectively, with his contract, he's a negative value asset.  Allen at $20mill a year looks very good.

What about #10 for Tari Eason?
Like Reply
(05-22-2023, 07:08 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Spot on.  Their games are different, but Ayton so reminds me of Roy Hibbert.  Neither have any heart.  Got their money and stopped working.  When looking at Ayton objectively, with his contract, he's a negative value asset.  Allen at $20mill a year looks very good.

What about #10 for Tari Eason?
Eason does look like a player, I think we’d need more than that though since 1 year ago he was a 17 pick.
Like Reply
(05-22-2023, 07:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Funny, watching the Cleveland guys video, they were luke warm on a THJ for Allen trade, but were pretty happy with a Maxi, Bullock and McGee for Allen and Dean Wade trade. No picks.

I love Maxi.
And I think he's the best Mav defender in recent years.
Really unique in his own way.
But I'd do this deal any day.
Like Reply
(05-22-2023, 07:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Funny, watching the Cleveland guys video, they were luke warm on a THJ for Allen trade, but were pretty happy with a Maxi, Bullock and McGee for Allen and Dean Wade trade. No picks. I’d rather have Allen than Ayton on court player. Then considering the contracts and trades proposed to get them? Allen in a landslide.

I laughed when the one commentator was talking about making a trade "just to shake things up".

A great way to get fleeced.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/...45857?s=46&t=QowsN4L-h92EmWwcs2bbuw

Kyrie, Green, #10 for AD, Vanderbilt, #17? Certainly improves the length, defense, rebounding around Luka.
Like Reply
(05-23-2023, 10:19 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/...45857?s=46&t=QowsN4L-h92EmWwcs2bbuw

Kyrie, Green, #10 for AD, Vanderbilt, #17? Certainly improves the length, defense, rebounding around Luka.

If the Lakers go after Kyrie it is an all in/last chance to win with LBJ move. Makes no sense for them to give up AD in a scenario like this.
Like Reply
(05-23-2023, 10:19 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/...45857?s=46&t=QowsN4L-h92EmWwcs2bbuw

Take out the 10, add McGee instead of Green and sure. AD during this playoffs would be amazing. Problem is, next year he’s due to not make the playoffs due to injury.
Like Reply
Irving to Lakers would be much easier with AD on the table. None of them is perfect, but AD is definitely a much better fit on Mavs than Irving.
Like Reply
(05-22-2023, 10:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Eason does look like a player, I think we’d need more than that though since 1 year ago he was a 17 pick.

What are your thoughts on compensation?  My thought is that he's projecting to be an OG/Mikal Bridges, precisely what this team needs.  His RebRtg of 13.4 would rank him #2 on the Mavs, only behind Wood...  at the pf/sf spot which is our weakest.

His first year compares favorably to the OG's 3rd and Mikal's 2nd year (adjusted comparison for age difference). 
Tari 2022/23: 9.3pts, 6.0rbs, 1.1asts, 1.2stls, 0.6blks, 113.4defrtg in 82 games on 21.6mins, 44.8%fg, 34.3%3pt
OG 2019/20: 10.6pts, 5.3rbs, 1.6asts, 1.4stls, 0.7blks, 104.2defrtg in 69 games on 29.9mins, 50.5fg%, 39.9%3pt
Mikal 2019/20: 9.1pts, 4.0rbs, 1.8asts, 1.4stls, 0.6blks, 108.1defrtg in 73 games on 28.0mins, 51.0fg%, 36.1%3pt

He has more size than Mikal.  Here are their draft vitals...
Tari 6'8", 217lbs, 7'2"wingspan
OG 6"7", 232lbs, 7'2"wingspan
Mikal 6'7", 210lbs, 7'1"wingspan

So what would we give up to have either Mikal or OG?  Factoring in the risk that he doesn't develop into OG/Mikal, what are we willing to give up for Tari?
Like Reply
If the Lakers send AD for Kyrie they really are bonkers.

Even with his health issues, AD would be a perfect fit for the Mavs. Fixes the center problem instantly and keeps a co-star in Dallas for Luka. I don't think AD would be too happy though..

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status...63078?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Ya, AD is a pipedream. LAL are looking to bring in another superstar, not exchange them. I think our best get is Reaves (difficult SnT), Vanderbilt, and Rui.

What about a trade around the framework of Reaves to HOU, Kyrie to LAL, and Eason to DAL?

Dallas: Eason, Rui, Vanderbilt, Bamba, Beasely
Houston: Reaves
LA: Kyrie
Like Reply
Everybody seems to be in love with Tari Eason. To me he´s Christian Wood 2.0. Undecided 

Must be the only one that does not see it with him (yet).
Like Reply
We can argue until we are blue in the face if re-signing Kyrie is the prudent move. But if he decides he wants to go somewhere else, please clear out the front office and coaching staff ASAP. Their main job last year was to build a strong relationship of trust with Jalen. They failed. This year was to add a second star and then build a relationship with him. They clearly want to re-sign him. If they strike out again, lets clean house.
Like Reply
Obviously not what the Mavs want to do because they view themself as a win-now team but how many of the Mavs vets would be interesting for the Lakers if they want to go for it one last time with LBJ. Is there a scenario where a double sign&trade with Irving and Wood is an option. Maybe combined with Bullock, Maxi and/or THJ.
Like Reply
(05-23-2023, 11:54 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Everybody seems to be in love with Tari Eason. To me he´s Christian Wood 2.0. Undecided 

Must be the only one that does not see it with him (yet).

How so?  Just an opinion or you have something tangible to back that?

I am admittedly in love with Eason.  Comments regarding my post comparing him to OG and Mikal?

(05-23-2023, 12:04 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Obviously not what the Mavs want to do because they view themself as a win-now team but how many of the Mavs vets would be interesting for the Lakers if they want to go for it one last time with LBJ. Is there a scenario where a double sign&trade with Irving and Wood is an option. Maybe combined with Bullock, Maxi and/or THJ.

IMO, Kyrie will sign 4 years at $50mill.  It's really tough to add more than that going to a team that doesn't have cap.
Like Reply