Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(04-29-2023, 03:39 AM)omahen Wrote: So Mavs effectively used a FRP to dump a couple of BaE level expiring salaries and a couple of vet min. Because they were too cheap to spend the 5 mil or just eat the additional tax. Really shows their commitment to building a contender.

Kevin Gray Jr. on Twitter: "Mavs writer @tim_cato for @TheAthletic joined me on my podcast today to discuss the Mavs disappointing season Here we talk what went wrong with the Christian Wood experiment & if the Mavs ever truly wanted him Pod: https://t.co/r3CRKYGQYn YouTube: https://t.co/sw738mITK8 #MFFL https://t.co/PgbTbYxHWp" / Twitter

Cato has said that last part (trying to trade him immediately upon acquiring him) from the very beginning.  I can recall him saying Wood might not make it to camp or the season opener.  My interpretation of that was they’d wait until he could be aggregated and then make a move.  Of course that never happened and to be fair, no one else that I know of reported that.  If true, it certainly lends credence to the idea that the deal was all about moving the excess salaries.

If one ascribes to the idea that they would have taken Hardy with #26 and if the Mav’s had the deal for the second used for Hardy lined up in advance (certainly possible), then the price to dump salaries was really the two seconds they gave up to get the Hardy pick.
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 07:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If one ascribes to the idea that they would have taken Hardy with #26 and if the Mav’s had the deal for the second used for Hardy lined up in advance (certainly possible), then the price to dump salaries was really the two seconds they gave up to get the Hardy pick.
If they had the Hardy deal lined up, they could have traded the first down for a couple extra seconds, gotten their man and hade the seconds to get Rui at the tdl.
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 08:06 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If they had the Hardy deal lined up, they could have traded the first down for a couple extra seconds, gotten their man and hade the seconds to get Rui at the tdl.

Sure.  I’m not defending the use of an asset to dump salaries that could have been cut.  Just pointing out that their logic might have been that the true cost of the dump was two seconds rather than #26 assuming they had good intel on where Hardy (or some other target they liked) might fall.
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 07:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Cato has said that last part (trying to trade him immediately upon acquiring him) from the very beginning.  I can recall him saying Wood might not make it to camp or the season opener.  My interpretation of that was they’d wait until he could be aggregated and then make a move.  Of course that never happened and to be fair, no one else that I know of reported that.  If true, it certainly lends credence to the idea that the deal was all about moving the excess salaries.

If one ascribes to the idea that they would have taken Hardy with #26 and if the Mav’s had the deal for the second used for Hardy lined up in advance (certainly possible), then the price to dump salaries was really the two seconds they gave up to get the Hardy pick.

This organization is so messed who knows what they were thinking.

But I always viewed the Wood acquisition as hope of using him as a future move as well.  I have no proof on this but it is possible they made the decision Wood could allow them to trade with a pick for Myles Turner or John Collins at some point last year.  They made the calculation that Wood was more valuable then the guys they moved.  I think that would be fair.

This issues are twofold though, they didn’t even try to fake that they did not want Wood.  It got off on a wrong foot from the start.  And by the trade deadline they supposedly could  not find any deals.  You can’t create value with the snap of the finger but they Mavs didn’t do themselves any favors there.

Second, the continued non interest in the draft. Even if Hardy was the pick at 26, they were surprised he got to the Kings spot.  What happened if Hardy went earlier?  Sometimes being lucky is better than being good, unfortunately we need to rely almost exclusively on luck.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ItsGoTime, omahen
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 08:42 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This issues are twofold though, they didn’t even try to fake that they did not want Wood.  It got off on a wrong foot from the start.  And by the trade deadline they supposedly could  not find any deals.  You can’t create value with the snap of the finger but they Mavs didn’t do themselves any favors there.

This exactly. Seems like Kidd prefers a system that requires very specific players. The only player in two years that Mavs got that fit that system was Bullock. Irving doesn't fit, Wood didn't, McGee didn't. No visible change in the system based on what players they have. Just play same old thing he played in BKN and Milwaukee. Which btw, didn't work in both places before. But hey, lets try it one more year.

A smart franchise would play to the strength of the players they got. Get most out of them. Especially in a disastrous year, where they lost Brunson for nothing and didn't bring anyone to replace him. Feature Wood, pump his stats, claim how special he is and then trade him. I mean, it couldn't be any worse, really. Results couldn't be worse and it is possible they would be able to trade him. But no, Mavs made fools of themselves that McGee is a starter, which failed miserably in less than 10 games.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • Chicagojk, ItsGoTime, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 08:54 AM)omahen Wrote: This exactly. Seems like Kidd prefers a system that requires very specific players. The only player in two years that Mavs got that fit that system was Bullock. Irving doesn't fit, Wood didn't, McGee didn't. No visible change in the system based on what players they have. Just play same old thing he played in BKN and Milwaukee. Which btw, didn't work in both places before. But hey, lets try it one more year.

A smart franchise would play to the strength of the players they got. Get most out of them. Especially in a disastrous year, where they lost Brunson for nothing and didn't bring anyone to replace him. Feature Wood, pump his stats, claim how special he is and then trade him. I mean, it couldn't be any worse, really. Results couldn't be worse and it is possible they would be able to trade him. But no, Mavs made fools of themselves that McGee is a starter, which failed miserably in less than 10 games.

Different topic, but I have been thinking of McGee recently.  He was awful to start the season.  It didn’t take long to bench him but it seemed like they put him on ice to the end of the season.  Maybe nothing could have been done there and they realized their mistake right away.  But was there ever focus on simplifying the game for him and have him try to do 2 things well and work with him on stop on those few things?  I mean there are a few things he should be at least average on.  Focus on those things and make the best out of it. I am sure they worked with him.  But it is almost like they took him out of the starting lineup, wiped their hands and then gave him a great seat for the rest of the years.
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 09:12 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: But was there ever focus on simplifying the game for him and have him try to do 2 things well and work with him on stop on those few things?

No, at least not that I saw it. What is interesting for me most, though, is that Mavs for some reason started playing Powell and Maxi in drop coverage somewhere in the second half of the season. This is basically playing the opposite of their strengths
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 07:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Cato has said that last part (trying to trade him immediately upon acquiring him) from the very beginning.  I can recall him saying Wood might not make it to camp or the season opener.  My interpretation of that was they’d wait until he could be aggregated and then make a move.  Of course that never happened and to be fair, no one else that I know of reported that.  If true, it certainly lends credence to the idea that the deal was all about moving the excess salaries.

I am writing under the assumption that Cato has correct info. Personally, I think this kind of move is wrong on many levels.

1. I understand the concept of aggregating a couple of smaller salaries for a bigger expiring, which might be easier to trade. But hey guys, than freaking execute that trade, otherwise it is just a failure. GMs are not paid millions for trying. 
2. Mavs could dump those players using cash only, not wasting yet another asset, even if minimal. When was the last time Mavs used those 5 mil of cash? They never buy SRP with cash, they don't dump players with cash (always picks). 
3. Trading for a player you actually don't want will inevitably lead to locker room problems. Especially, when that player is in a contract year. He wants to play, showcase himself, yet he got to a team which is telling him from day one that they actually don't even need him. Of course the player is not happy and we can't even blame him for that. Which star player was mentioning chemistry problems...
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply

Perhaps the Mavs simply miscalculated Wood's value.  Their plan was to use him as a trade chip to acquire a better-fitting player.

But nobody wanted him, or was willing to trade back anything the  Mavs could use.  I suppose his lofty salary expectations might also have played a role in his league-wide undesirability.

So they kept him and tried to extract some value from his play as an expiring player.  Thus the reduction in playing time.  They realized he was expiring, and because of his inflated self-evaluation, it was unlikely they could re-sign him at anything approaching a reasonable price.

So they couldn't really try to build anything around him.  His value was simply what they could get the remainder of the season.

And now, the new CBA really penalizes overpays.  A team wishing to assemble a championship roster needs to have players that produce at or above their salaries.

Wood doesn't seem likely to fit that criterion.
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 09:37 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Perhaps the Mavs simply miscalculated Wood's value.

Yeah, the story of this franchise for all 5 years I am watching closely Smile
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 08:54 AM)omahen Wrote: Seems like Kidd prefers a system that requires very specific players. The only player in two years that Mavs got that fit that system was Bullock. Irving doesn't fit, Wood didn't, McGee didn't. No visible change in the system based on what players they have. Just play same old thing he played in BKN and Milwaukee. Which btw, didn't work in both places before. But hey, lets try it one more year.

Lemme see what's in here...

A coach who really doesn't know how to.
A GM who has no idea what he is doing.
And an owner who thinks he has it all figured out, sees the coach isn't a problem and wouldn't let the GM do actual work.

All 3 of 'em are severely limiting what is already a Mavs team full of limitations.
I'm hoping all of ém are gone, but I'd settle for kicking out the coach.

AND I KNOW EVENTUALLY THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN. Maybe it would take 40 games, maybe it takes a full season, but Kidd would eventually be kicked. Mavs would just be wasting time with him.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Branduil, IamDougieFresh, WildArkieBoy
Like Reply
EXPOSE THEM

https://twitter.com/chriswood_5/status/1...71235?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Yeah I have no clue what Wood is saying here.

Probably something Kidd related.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-01-2023, 01:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Yeah I have no clue what Wood is saying here.

Probably something Kidd related.

I’m guessing it’s this quote from the Athletic/Cato article:

”Another big man, Christian Wood, had arrived in a necessary salary-clearing move. While Wood’s agent, Adam Pensack, launched an aggressive behind-the-scenes campaign to media members for his client to be considered an All-Star, team sources said Dallas’ coaching staff never shared that same belief, which led to his inconsistent role.”

Sounds like Cuban wrote it himself. LMFAOOOOOOO
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
This is not Wood related but for an organization that sort of prides themselves with treating players right....they tend to piss off a lot of their players.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ItsGoTime, MAVS-SLO, omahen, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-01-2023, 02:51 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: This is not Wood related but for an organization that sort of prides themselves with treating players right....they tend to piss off a lot of their players.

Totally agree with that.

We don't know what was going on behind the scenes during this season but there was something.

If we forget Kidd's start of the season with McGee starting, when Wood finally got a chance and played well, the benching him started when he become available for 4/77 extension. 

And there was a lot of talk before the season that ''Brunson story doesn't happen again''.

Now we are here again, just for different reasons.
Like Reply
(05-01-2023, 02:51 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: This is not Wood related but for an organization that sort of prides themselves with treating players right....they tend to piss off a lot of their players.

Yeah it's ridiculous.

I don't remember reading this much malcontent from the locker room in Dirk's 20 years here. 

(05-01-2023, 02:26 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I’m guessing it’s this quote from the Athletic/Cato article:

”Another big man, Christian Wood, had arrived in a necessary salary-clearing move. While Wood’s agent, Adam Pensack, launched an aggressive behind-the-scenes campaign to media members for his client to be considered an All-Star, team sources said Dallas’ coaching staff never shared that same belief, which led to his inconsistent role.”

Sounds like Cuban wrote it himself. LMFAOOOOOOO

I mean yes it does sound like a classic Mavs State Media spin, but I remember quite vividly in March a bunch of random podcasts saying they have details from Wood's agent and behind the scenes knowledge of how Wood was mistreated. A bunch of other Mav media members basically confirmed Wood's agent was doing an all out PR tour and was making sure Wood's side was heard. But to me that just sounds like an agent was/is recognizing that his client has worn out his welcome 7 times in 8 years and this was probably the last chance he had at making big money (and blew it).

What's more concerning is that the Mavs never believed in Wood, and it seems like they never believed in him as soon as the trade happened. This is despite the production throughout the season. Whether that be because of attitude issues or just lack of ability to conform to the system, the Mavs made the call that this guy wasn't worth it. 

That SHOULD mean something but I've lost faith in the Mavs talent evaluators. If they really didn't like Wood, they should've made just about any trade to move off of him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Mavs with Wood as a starter - 9-8
Mavs with Powell as a starter - 24-38

Only statistics you need to know.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(05-01-2023, 04:36 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Mavs with Wood as a starter - 9-8

9-5 when Luka and Wood start together. 52 win pace. Now imagine they didn’t blunder with Brunson.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Kidd clearly hates Wood.  What I want to know is if Kidd hated the move to get Wood from the start and was overruled and was jerking him around to try and show up the GM, or just realized that he hated him personally after trying to coach him in practice and jerked him around out of spite.  In a normal NBA franchise structure where the coach answers to the GM either would get the coach fired, because you're devaluing an asset to serve your own ego.  Kidd doesn't answer to Nico, and I don't think he has any respect for/fear of Mark Cuban.
Like Reply