Poll: Who will win the game? (Raps 2.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
61.54%
8 61.54%
Raptors
38.46%
5 38.46%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 29: DAL (19-10) @ TOR (21-8) | 107-110 loss (Mavs had 30 pt lead)
(12-22-2019, 06:10 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Choking it away is embarrassing but not surprising. They tried so hard to give the Bucks game away too but this time Raptors are actually good enough to make it happen, especially on the road.

This team is just not good enough to finish these close games either. The record in close games is not too good

Wasn't even close.

If you hold the opponent to about 20 points per quarter, get 47 in the fourth while not hitting anything it's on the Coach in my opinion.

Rick failed to adjust. Just foul them hard, where is the problem. Slow down the pace or pressure back.
Like Reply
The game in a nutshell for me:

1) The Mavs played INCREDIBLE, unselfish, ball-movement basketball to get a 30 pt lead.

2) The full court press from a bunch of long athletes completely knocked them out of their rhythm and they lost their flow in the offense. Became stagnant and scared.

3) They have no other alpha with killer instinct other than Luka. This stretch has shown just how much they need Luka in crunch time.

(12-22-2019, 06:16 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Rick failed to adjust. Just foul them hard, where is the problem. Slow down the pace or pressure back.

I see this perspective....but I also think Rick is trying to surrender his control freak tendencies to some extent and so I think he is purposely letting them play and learn and fail. 

These are invaluable lessons for later this year and in years to come.
Like Reply
I haven't watched much of the second half because of the Cowboys game but did Broekhoff get any burn in the second half? He played good defense in the 1H. I don't know what happened but this meltdown is inexplicable.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
Like Reply
Bad loss. 2 of the Raptors better players, and their best player were out, Siakam, Gasol and Powell. It happens, why you can't predict wins. Mavs had a good road trip though.
Like Reply
Embarrassing. But, it's a young team that clearly doesn't know how to close a game. 

Jalen Brunson is going through the tutorial classes at how to close a game in the NBA. Obviously a different level than NCAA.

With Luka, I think the Heat, Celtics, and Raptors game outcome is a lot different.

But this has been a good stretch for the Mavs. Time to rest up and figure out how to win at home.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 06:18 PM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: did Broekhoff get any burn in the second half?
yes, maybe 8-9 minutes
Like Reply
One big takeaway is that our PGs struggle against full court pressure. Not the first time the Mavs had terrible late game turnover because of it. The Raptors took it to another level and the Mavs had no answer. Wright and Brunson weren´t able to keep up their dribble against agressive ball pressure.
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 05:03 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Away game with their best player and 2 more big contributors out? This’ll be a blow out!

How do you like your Crow, baked or barbecued?
Like Reply
Pat Bev or Iggy sure would have been handy on Lowry to slow him down.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 11:00 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 10:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 10:15 AM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: Toronto's line has moved to -3. They still lack their already missing players and still favoured to win against Dallas? That's really strange.

Because historically the Mavs lose in Toronto. And it doesn't help that they're a good team with or without their missing players.

And it doesn't help them that we're a great team with or without our MVP candidate.

You're not a great team, yet.....taking baby steps. Luka is a MVP candidate, but Giannis is still the favorite.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 06:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: One big takeaway is that our PGs struggle against full court pressure. Not the first time the Mavs had terrible late game turnover because of it. The Raptors took it to another level and the Mavs had no answer. Wright and Brunson weren´t able to keep up their dribble against agressive ball pressure.
The one Mav guard, Barea,  who might have been able to weather their pressure and force the refs to call some fouls didn't see the court.  Is Barea hurt? Or is he in the dog house?
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 06:33 PM)mtrot Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 06:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: One big takeaway is that our PGs struggle against full court pressure. Not the first time the Mavs had terrible late game turnover because of it. The Raptors took it to another level and the Mavs had no answer. Wright and Brunson weren´t able to keep up their dribble against agressive ball pressure.
The one Mav guard, Barea,  who might have been able to weather their pressure and force the refs to call some fouls didn't see the court.  Is Barea hurt? Or is he in the dog house?

It's on Carlisle either he focused on teaching his team a lesson or used it as a training session, which would still mean it's on him. Either he failed to adjust or he prioritized teaching/development.

It's fine, but loss is mostly on him.

Brad Townsend (@townbrad) Tweeted:

“It’s on me.” Carlisle said it several times, says he told the players the same. Mavs failed to respond to Raptor aggression, he said. “And that’s on me.” https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1208...50214?s=20

He says it after every loss though.
Like Reply
What a game which was lost because of D collapse in 4Q, not because pour offense against aggressive TOR D neither because of Jalen's missed last shot.
It means nothing but who was mavs best guy on the court?
Nothing tragic this loss have to be taken as just another sign where mavs have to improve. It's a job for coach and all players to work on mentally and technically.
Have a Merry Christmas mavs and come back stronger.
Like Reply
Arrgh. Been busy recently and forgot to DVR this one because it was early in the day, when looking up when the game started I saw we were up a bunch late in the 3rd and assumed we would win. Can someone tell me what the hell happened?
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 07:22 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Arrgh. Been busy recently and forgot to DVR this one because it was early in the day, when looking up when the game started I saw we were up a bunch late in the 3rd and assumed we would win. Can someone tell me what the hell happened?

It was a historical night.

Rick went small 3-4 guard lineups and Nurse let lose his end of bench + Lowry on a clear mission to press Dallas to death. 

They failed to control the game even once in the fourth quarter. No disruptive fouls, no physical play, no ball controll. 

The Raptors D consumed them and lead to multiple extra possessions.

Rick didn't adjust at all and they choked away in the biggest meltdown I ever witnessed and the biggest in franchise history.

Rick really played Wright + Brunson + Curry + Broekhoff + Finney Smith lineup.
Like Reply
Glad Rick took the blame. I have no idea why he played a small lineup again. Maxi only played 15 min, what the hell? Our defense was suffocating. I do not have the number of fouls for each of our bigs but even if Maxi has 5 fouls you would play him until he fouled out. 15 minutes. Unbelievable. Our bigs played great in this game. I thought our interior defense was suffocating. And then Rick ran the small ball lineup and didn't seem to have a plan to counteract the full court press deployed by the Raptors for almost the whole fourth quarter. I know a full court press can be effective in a short stint but surely it can get beat. In theory with the right pass you basically get an easy basket on the other end.

(12-22-2019, 07:29 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 07:22 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Arrgh. Been busy recently and forgot to DVR this one because it was early in the day, when looking up when the game started I saw we were up a bunch late in the 3rd and assumed we would win. Can someone tell me what the hell happened?

It was a historical night.

Rick went small 3-4 guard lineups and Nurse let lose his end of bench + Lowry on a clear mission to press Dallas to death. 

They failed to control the game even once in the fourth quarter. No disruptive fouls, no physical play, no ball controll. 

The Raptors D consumed them and lead to multiple extra possessions.

Rick didn't adjust at all and they choked away in the biggest meltdown I ever witnessed and the biggest in franchise history.

Rick really played Wright + Brunson + Curry + Broekhoff + Finney Smith lineup.

It's really unbelievable. That's a hail Mary lineup you run out there when you are down big and need to score quickly. Did Rick have money on the Raps or something? Lol what in the world Rick?

An open letter to Rick...

Please no more small lineups late in games when teams are trying to come back. 

Also play Maxi.

Also JJB is on this team. When you are up 23 to start the 4th quarter just throw him out there. Have him play the whole quarter. He won't F up a lead I promise.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 07:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I have no idea why he played a small lineup again.

A lineup of 3 ball handlers should be able to punish a full court press
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 08:29 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 07:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I have no idea why he played a small lineup again.

A lineup of 3 ball handlers should be able to punish a full court press
we cant get open shots though or more importantly.... secure a fucking rebound when it mattered. i dont know why he does't get the logic how bigger player gets more rebounds/easier offense and spends less energy defensively while a smaller player trying to get room for a shot vs a bigger defender as well as fight for rebounds has to expend more energy. And we shoulda tried trapping lowry at the 3 point line instead of backing off and letting him walk right into his shots that were just tilting the momentum more and more in their favor.

oh well didnt GSW with Curry,Klay and KD blow a 31 point lead to the clippers.... sht happens. the frustration is what "if anything" did we learn from it Rick?
Like Reply
Painful loss. If this is painful for us fans, just imagine how the players feel..
They will move on and learn from this, and will stomp on San Antonio in the next game.  Smile
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 07:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Also JJB is on this team. When you are up 23 to start the 4th quarter just throw him out there. Have him play the whole quarter. He won't F up a lead I promise.
This...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply