Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Game 71 - Tank Busted? : DAL (36-35) @ LAL (34-37) | 111-110 WIN! CALL ME MAXI!
I'm sure there are Mavs communities somewhere that are just all praise all the time. And if not... might that not say something about this franchise?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(03-18-2023, 12:08 AM)omahen Wrote: In a game like this, the win is the important thing. 

But, Mavs were so incredibly lucky. Arguably most crucial game up to now and Lakers shot 25 % from three and 61 % from free throw line. Mavs almost 50 % from three. Mavs pick and roll defense and rebounding was beyond horrible.

Not sure if this has anything to do with luck. Maybe.. but I knew Reaves missing those free throws would bite them in the ass in the end. It happens to the Mavs all the time. Remember THJ missing 3 free throws against the Bucks? I think Powell had a game like that too.

But yeah, again, it's a make or miss league. They make shots=win
Like Reply
(03-18-2023, 12:55 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: Come on guys!  This is a discussion board.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  We don't need to agree with each other.  If I don't agree with someone I just go on.  I "like" some of those that I agree with and give thoughtful consideration to others.  That's the way of life.

There are still some really good posters on here with in depth knowledge of basketball and the Mavs.  They deserve to  have their say--just as you do.  Sometimes I agree with you.  Sometimes I don't.

There are things about the Mavs I don't like.  Sometimes I voice them.  I appreciate your comments...and I'd hate to see you, or anyone leave.  You can make a difference just by joining the discussions with thoughtful, informed comments.  Or...totally uninformed.  Heck!...I'm just a fan.  I never played beyond high school.  Now I'm just a driveway point guard--but--it is a big driveway...

Good points. I don’t care if someone makes a point I disagree with. My concern is with the hate someone themes that get driven into the ground with prove my oh so smart point statements. What irritated me is some couldn’t leave it alone even when we won.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • F Gump, Hogmelon
Like Reply
(03-18-2023, 12:01 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydo Wrote: Theon Pinson on the last play?
That's really an interesting decision, since he didn't play a second until then.

So I wonder what the thinking behinod was:
  • It could just be, that this unit did it the best in trainings.
  • Or that wanted his his long arms to make sure, that the ball will be inbounded. However, this thought makes only limited sense, as he took out Wood for him and his arms should be just as long.
  • Thus maybe he wanted someone who does not pull the double team away from Kyrie so that he either beats his defenders or finds an open shooter - which he did.
Any other ideas?
[-] The following 3 users Like WillE's post:
  • MFFL, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(03-18-2023, 01:45 AM)WillE Wrote: That's really an interesting decision, since he didn't play a second until then.

So I wonder what the thinking behinod was:
  • It could just be, that this unit did it the best in trainings.
  • Or that wanted his his long arms to make sure, that the ball will be inbounded. However, this thought makes only limited sense, as he took out Wood for him and his arms should be just as long.
  • Thus maybe he wanted someone who does not pull the double team away from Kyrie so that he either beats his defenders or finds an open shooter - which he did.
Any other ideas?

Thankyou!
That's the basketball response I need.

This one play might not be significant specially on a win where fans have the right to enjoy and cherish.
But questionable plays/strategy needs to be questioned.
Little things add up, and these things can be the basis on how people evaluate the Mavs performance (in this case, the Mavs coaching performance).

Apologies for being that downer, but yeah, I didn't have to point it out if it wasn't there.

With regards to the Pinson sub of Wood, well -- I really have no clue on that. I don't see the sense in it.
I'd be happy to get the reason behind this from any of the guys.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
Happy for Maxi and great play by him and Kyrie. I think the Mavs are now 1-12 in game ending inbound play situations, at least I read that. This play was as bad as or worse than the others.  Took a miracle by Kyrie to find Maxi with a difficult but open look with .2 on the clock. Gutty win, but not an impressive one.  Still, that gives them effectively a three game lead on the Lakers, and many of the teams below that seem to be tanking.  The Mavs are looking good to at least get a top 8 spot now, and only need to win one of two to make the playoffs were a very beatable opponent will await them.  Just wish Kidd would put a tighter rotation on the floor that keeps Wright (-10 in like 6 minutes tonight) at the end of the bench.  One thing I did like from Kidd was more two big lineups.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Some post game quotes for us:

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...92321?s=20

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...64608?s=20
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...84513?s=20
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...43392?s=20
https://twitter.com/Chriswood_5/status/1...79008?s=20
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/16...10336?s=20
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Hogmelon, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Subconsciously, I waited for DFS to emerge from that pile.
Like Reply
(03-17-2023, 01:20 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: No THJ means almost no chance to win!

Smile

I'm pretty sure you are joking but Hardy could have easily bested THJ's performance tonight.

4-12 from the field YUCK!
Like Reply
I didn't realize Wood had 8 assists to go with 9 rebounds.   Maybe you feel like Wood should be getting 30 minutes regardless.   But one way to force playing time is find ways to impact the game when your shot is not falling.   He struggled with his shot last night but the 8 assists is huge.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
One more thing, Green was great in the first half.  But sort of invisible in the second half and didn't get closing minutes.  I think he only took one shot in the second half.   He had two drives where it looks like they played him to pass and got one steal and one deflection.    It is a growing process, but he really needs to find a way to not be invisible when playing with Kyrie and Luka.   If Luka and Kyrie are both playing, I like him closing.   But he needs to not shy away from making plays when they arise.
Like Reply
(03-18-2023, 07:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: One more thing, Green was great in the first half.  But sort of invisible in the second half and didn't get closing minutes.  I think he only took one shot in the second half.   He had two drives where it looks like they played him to pass and got one steal and one deflection.    It is a growing process, but he really needs to find a way to not be invisible when playing with Kyrie and Luka.   If Luka and Kyrie are both playing, I like him closing.   But he needs to not shy away from making plays when they arise.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But you can say that about much of the rest of this team when Luka and Kyrie are on the court.  The ball sticks too much. That’s got to consistently be better if they have any designs of the playoffs this year.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Like Reply
Mavs need to hope that this brilliant sequence accelerates Maxi´s injury recovery via a confidence boost, cause until AD decides to go stupid, Maxi was looking at another bad game, 1-4 shooting 4/4/2 in 29 minutes with a team worst -17.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(03-18-2023, 06:59 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I didn't realize Wood had 8 assists to go with 9 rebounds.   Maybe you feel like Wood should be getting 30 minutes regardless.   But one way to force playing time is find ways to impact the game when your shot is not falling.   He struggled with his shot last night but the 8 assists is huge.

The assists were great, but Kidd wants more of a defensive presence from him. To stop missing rotations that allow for easy baskets, block a few shots, take charges, dive to the floor for 50-50 balls. He does those things in small samples. He needs to do it more, then maybe he'll get more 4th qtr minutes. I think it's academic anyway as he sure looks like he's a goner.
Like Reply
This is the time of the year when I kinda scale back on the NBA until the tournament is over.  I've been into March Madness and rewarded with some awesome games. These kids play with more passion and want to. That upset of Purdue yesterday was what makes me watch.  David can slay Goliath.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
turning point of the season for the boys in blue. if regular season was ended today with current standings i think we have a good chance to make WCF again this year. kings would be a tough match-up but it doesn't mean we cant beat them. Memphis ain't relevant without Ja.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LukaMVP's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(03-18-2023, 06:59 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I didn't realize Wood had 8 assists to go with 9 rebounds.   Maybe you feel like Wood should be getting 30 minutes regardless.   But one way to force playing time is find ways to impact the game when your shot is not falling.   He struggled with his shot last night but the 8 assists is huge.
I was more surprised at the 4 steals. The 1 block was par for the course but also nice to see.
Like Reply
(03-18-2023, 07:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: One more thing, Green was great in the first half.  But sort of invisible in the second half and didn't get closing minutes.  I think he only took one shot in the second half.   He had two drives where it looks like they played him to pass and got one steal and one deflection.    It is a growing process, but he really needs to find a way to not be invisible when playing with Kyrie and Luka.   If Luka and Kyrie are both playing, I like him closing.   But he needs to not shy away from making plays when they arise.

THJ was even worse. If the Mavs swap out some of the THJ minutes for Green’s and give all of Wright’s minutes (he was atrocious for the second straight game and is just a G league player) to Hardy, there’s no need for Maxi’s heroics as the Mavs win by 5 or 6.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BallySportsSW/status...9949904897
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Hogmelon
Like Reply
(03-18-2023, 12:21 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: This is why this board might die. I come here as always, this time to enjoy a fun win. What do I see? Mavs fans more interested in trashing their coach and trying to prove their point than anything else.

This board absolutely always has someone identified that you hate and spend ridiculous effort offering your proof that your points are correct. 
Sometimes apologies show up on the board which I like. But I guess discussions work better if we both have a scapegoat and argue how right we are. 
Sorry this really irritated the fire out of me.

Preemptively, let me say that none of this is aimed at you, specifically, or meant as a slight, because feelings like this are valid, and you're not the only one to bring this up recently. 

What you're describing is not "this board", it's "the internet"...and honestly, it's just "people today" if we're being really honest. 

Ironically, I think we're ALL bothered by this, it's just that different topics grind different people the wrong way. Some of the people who liked your post are the worst offenders, just not on the topic of the head coach. 

At the end of the day, I just wish people would either participate or not. I don't get the fascination with telling people whether or not you'll participate, as if this place exists to placate any one person. When I get sick of it here, I just take a break. Announcing it doesn't occur to me. And, from my perspective, it really just seems like everyone who does wish to participate (myself included) should probably make an effort to be more tolerant of things that annoy them. This is all happening because the Mavs' season has been supremely disappointing, so far, and we're basically resorting to taking that frustration out on each other. Not the most fun environment to willingly walk into, for sure, but it's all of us at fault.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav
Like Reply