Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
wood has the ability to block. it's mostly his 1on1 defense and defensive awareness that make him a mediocre defender he is known to be. it's best if we play him at 4 (position he suits best) alongside a defense-oriented partner at five. a big that plays good team defense seems the best addition imho (Maxi would be a decent option if no realistic target in the market). wood can rebound and give some blocks so we're not seeking a pure shot blocker something.
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 03:16 PM)mvossman Wrote: I wonder if Wood ends up back in the starting lineup.  It seems like our best playoff lineup is probably:

Wood/Maxi/Luka/Green/Kyrie

I'm kind of at the point where I just don't care and am kind of tired of talking about it.  He's just a guy.  He's not worth a quarter of the time we've spent discussing him.  Neither he nor Powell are the long term answer as a starting center.  Until Maxi returns, even the decisions Kidd makes the next couple of weeks won't really matter.   

I think we have three bigs in Powell, Maxi and Wood...three wings in Green, Reggie and THJ and two ball handlers.  There is plenty of depth behind every position except ball handler.  My guess is that is the position where we add a buyout guy.  

I can see Wood playing the minutes where there is only one of Kyrie or Luka.  His offense is more useful when one of them is out.  That means Powell continues to start and if Maxi comes back healthy, he probably closes.  I kind of liked what Kidd did last night.  Start and finish halves with Powell.  Get a short burst each half from McGee and the rest of the time goes to Wood.   I think the more important question here isn't Wood vs. Powell.  It is what do you do with Maxi.  Does he play more with Powell or with Wood?  Does he start?  Does he get any solo-big minutes?  Who is the PF when he's out?  I feel like I've got a good sense of things at C.  I'm not nearly as confident at PF.
[-] The following 6 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, Hypermav, KillerLeft, mvossman, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 06:10 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'm kind of at the point where I just don't care and am kind of tired of talking about it.  He's just a guy.  He's not worth a quarter of the time we've spent discussing him.  Neither he nor Powell are the long term answer as a starting center.  Until Maxi returns, even the decisions Kidd makes the next couple of weeks won't really matter.   

I think we have three bigs in Powell, Maxi and Wood...three wings in Green, Reggie and THJ and two ball handlers.  There is plenty of depth behind every position except ball handler.  My guess is that is the position where we add a buyout guy.  

I can see Wood playing the minutes where there is only one of Kyrie or Luka.  His offense is more useful when one of them is out.  That means Powell continues to start and if Maxi comes back healthy, he probably closes.  I kind of liked what Kidd did last night.  Start and finish halves with Powell.  Get a short burst each half from McGee and the rest of the time goes to Wood.   I think the more important question here isn't Wood vs. Powell.  It is what do you do with Maxi.  Does he play more with Powell or with Wood?  Does he start?  Does he get any solo-big minutes?  Who is the PF when he's out?  I feel like I've got a good sense of things at C.  I'm not nearly as confident at PF.

I posted this on another thread, but I think the power forward spot is going to be shared by Luka and Maxi.  I think for the most part our frontcourt is going to be Powell/Luka or Wood/Maxi.

You mentioned that Wood makes sense when one of Luka/Kyrie are off the floor.  I agree.  I think you can say the same about Green as his secondary playmaking is more necessary in those situations.  One of the most common and best 5 man lineups before all of the trades is:

Wood/Maxi/Luka/Timmy/Green

That group is +24.  Seems like a good lineup for when Kyrie is not on the court.  When Luka is not on the court you want Wood out there for rebounding and Maxi is the only available power forward left.  That means you are looking at Wood/Maxi/Green (Net +10) plus Kyrie and Bullock or Timmy.  

So thats 15-20 minutes of Wood/Maxi right there.  I agree that they probably start with Powell/Luka and that gets at least 10 minutes.  After that I think the remaining minutes (all with Luka) are one or two man combinations of Powell/Maxi/Wood.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
If this is true, I'm SO glad the Mavs passed. 

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/1623805537593839621?s=20&t=B_72GDJjEA9SFz2PMrHzAA
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • AgGiE1991, BigDirk41, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 06:49 PM)mvossman Wrote: I posted this on another thread, but I think the power forward spot is going to be shared by Luka and Maxi.  I think for the most part our frontcourt is going to be Powell/Luka or Wood/Maxi.

You mentioned that Wood makes sense when one of Luka/Kyrie are off the floor.  I agree.  I think you can say the same about Green as his secondary playmaking is more necessary in those situations.  One of the most common and best 5 man lineups before all of the trades is:

Wood/Maxi/Luka/Timmy/Green

That group is +24.  Seems like a good lineup for when Kyrie is not on the court.  When Luka is not on the court you want Wood out there for rebounding and Maxi is the only available power forward left.  That means you are looking at Wood/Maxi/Green (Net +10) plus Kyrie and Bullock or Timmy.  

So thats 15-20 minutes of Wood/Maxi right there.  I agree that they probably start with Powell/Luka and that gets at least 10 minutes.  After that I think the remaining minutes (all with Luka) are one or two man combinations of Powell/Maxi/Wood.

I’m thinking along the same lines.  I had written a longer post that came to the same conclusion about Green and Timmy and decided to cut it back and focus on the bigs.  

Kidd talked about a flexible starting lineup the other day.  Maybe Maxi starts with Powell on some occasions and Luka is the second biggest player on other occasions.  The swing players being Josh and Maxi.

Thanks for adding the context of the lineup data.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 06:49 PM)mvossman Wrote: I posted this on another thread, but I think the power forward spot is going to be shared by Luka and Maxi.  I think for the most part our frontcourt is going to be Powell/Luka or Wood/Maxi.

totally agree with this, in general.

I think one of the failures of the season will be that they didn't focus on preparing to play Wood for solo 5 stretches against good teams, if in fact they determine they can't do that in the playoffs. It is the biggest way to use him to your advantage, by far, provided you've trained him not to get you killed on defense in time.
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 07:34 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’m thinking along the same lines.  I had written a longer post that came to the same conclusion about Green and Timmy and decided to cut it back and focus on the bigs.  

Kidd talked about a flexible starting lineup the other day.  Maybe Maxi starts with Powell on some occasions and Luka is the second biggest player on other occasions.  The swing players being Josh and Maxi.

Thanks for adding the context of the lineup data.

That's funny because I was building a much bigger post for the other thread as well, but when I read your post I decided to mostly just respond to that.

I did find one interesting thing regarding the potential starting lineup.  Bullock has had a rough go most of the season and Green has been a net rating king, so I figured any potential starting lineup rating was going to suffer including Bullock and excluding Green, but the combination of:

Powell/Luka/Bullock/Timmy

is over +21.  Gota think adding Kyrie to that group is not going to hurt.  Thats a fairly small sample but:

Powell/Luka/Timmy is +11 on over 400 minutes

Powell/Luka/Bullock is +13 on over 300 minutes
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 07:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: totally agree with this, in general.

I think one of the failures of the season will be that they didn't focus on preparing to play Wood for solo 5 stretches against good teams, if in fact they determine they can't do that in the playoffs. It is the biggest way to use him to your advantage, by far, provided you've trained him not to get you killed on defense in time.
Plenty of motivation for Wood to figure it out. He could lose a lot of $ if he poops the bed. I think we get the best he’s got. It’s mostly a win-win. If he doesn’t perform as needed he probably is incapable and we smartly don’t pay him. If he figures it all out then we have a high quality talent for the championship run

Yes, if he figures it all out he’s gone for nothing. But it was the smart move if nobody valued Wood or Hardaway enough for us to make a deal for an upgrade. The buyout guys were mostly what we could have hoped for and we will get them anyway
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 08:41 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Plenty of motivation for Wood to figure it out. He could lose a lot of $ if he poops the bed. I think we get the best he’s got. It’s mostly a win-win. If he doesn’t perform as needed he probably is incapable and we smartly don’t pay him. If he figures it all out then we have a high quality talent for the championship run

Yes, if he figures it all out he’s gone for nothing. But it was the smart move if nobody valued Wood or Hardaway enough for us to make a deal for an upgrade. The buyout guys were mostly what we could have hoped for and we will get them anyway

Agree that he should be motivated.  If he does figure it out, he is not necessarily gone for nothing.  A lot can happen between now and end of season.  He might decide he wants to stay and we might decide he is worth his market value.
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 08:15 PM)mvossman Wrote: That's funny because I was building a much bigger post for the other thread as well, but when I read your post I decided to mostly just respond to that.

I did find one interesting thing regarding the potential starting lineup.  Bullock has had a rough go most of the season and Green has been a net rating king, so I figured any potential starting lineup rating was going to suffer including Bullock and excluding Green, but the combination of:

Powell/Luka/Bullock/Timmy

is over +21.  Gota think adding Kyrie to that group is not going to hurt.  Thats a fairly small sample but:

Powell/Luka/Timmy is +11 on over 400 minutes

Powell/Luka/Bullock is +13 on over 300 minutes

The defense was largely the responsibility of DFS, Reggie and Maxi last year.  Reggie’s TS% in 13 games in November was .342.  HIS TS PERCENT.  No lineup data is going to look good with that sprinkled in.  Since 12/1, his 3% is .418.  He’s just a different guy.  If you look at EPM, Green and Dorian’s numbers are almost the same on O, D and total EPM.  And, I don’t think those numbers are done climbing.  

What really need is good Maxi to return.  He makes so much make sense for the D.  If that happens and we close with Maxi/Luka/Green/Reggie/Irving, it will be really tough to close us out in a tight game.  There is enough D on the court to hold teams and between Reggie and Green hitting corner 3’s at a high rate and Luka, Kyrie and to some extend Green getting into the lane on a regular basis, we are going to be a load.  

That is a lot to put on Maxi and given his minutes limitations, you almost have to design his time on the court around closing and make everything else work around that.  If he’s not right, there are alternatives.  They just aren’t as good for what is needed as Maxi at his best.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
100% agree re Maxi. Trouble is he hasn't looked right all year. Some of it may have to do with spending time next to Wood rather than solo big next to scrambling wings. I do think the Mavs will play small more often in the playoffs. But they need to find a big lineup that works.

I may be crazy but I still hold out hope that McGee has just been out of shape all year and saving his body for a long playoff run. His size changes things dramatically and opens up options for this team if he can be a positive on the court.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, F Gump
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 06:10 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think we have three bigs in Powell, Maxi and Wood...three wings in Green, Reggie and THJ and two ball handlers.  There is plenty of depth behind every position except ball handler.  My guess is that is the position where we add a buyout guy.

Might they be able to address this internally? While I'd certainly be glad to see them add more talent, they might have ways to go even if they add no one.

YOU HAVE

Bigs - Powell, Maxi and Wood
Wings - Green, Reggie and THJ
Playmaker - Luka, Kyrie, _____ (hole to fill)

SOLUTIONS - in no particular order

A

Bigs - Powell, Maxi and Wood McGee
Wings - Green, Reggie and THJ Maxi
Playmaker - Luka, Ky, Green

This works if, like v suggested, McGee has just been out of shape all year and saving his body for a long playoff run (or trying to figure out his role, and how to play it). As crappy as he looked before, his play the last couple of games (and especially vs LAC) looked astonishingly like the guy we hoped they had signed. He was a big long agile presence, making plays. Could we start to see more of that?

In that case, McGee is your 3rd big, bumping Maxi to one of the 3 wings, bumping Green to one of 3 playmakers. None of this means that Maxi can't play big, or that Green can't play wing, but only that some of their minutes will be used to be that 3rd guy.

It also requires that Green is able to be the 3rd playmaker, when a 3rd is needed. He shows signs of that.

B

Bigs - Powell, Maxi and Wood
Playmaker - Luka, Ky, Hardy

This is the simplest tweak. We simply decide that Hardy can be, and is, ready to be that 3rd playmaker.

C

Bigs - Powell, Maxi Wood   (1/2 a slot to McGee)
...Swing - Maxi
...Swing - Green
Playmaker - Luka, Ky  (1/2 a slot to Hardy)

In this scenario, your 9th man minutes are split between McGee and Hardy, depending on what is needed that game. But most of the need is covered by using Maxi and Green in a way where they sop up minutes from 2 different places.

With Luka being able to play anywhere from 1-4, this allows plenty of players and flexibility.
[-] The following 6 users Like F Gump's post:
  • AgGiE1991, DanSchwartzgan, Mapka, MFFL, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 06:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If this is true, I'm SO glad the Mavs passed. 

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/1623805537593839621?s=20&t=B_72GDJjEA9SFz2PMrHzAA

It's pretty gross Morey thought he could fleece a first from Dallas, especially since he only got McDaniels and 2 2nds as a return.

If he really was that expensive then I'm not so beat up over missing out. Although I really want to see him in a Mavs jersey, and I hope they make a run this summer (Like maybe trading THJ to a retooling POR who could be convinced!).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 06:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If this is true, I'm SO glad the Mavs passed. 

Agreed. I wonder if McGee was included in the deal. Easiest way to match salaries and it probably costs a protected first to get out of his contract.
Like Reply

It doesn't sound like it was 95% finished if the first round pick was never finalized.   Sounds like rumor or guessing to me.  I know it is the Mavs who love throwing in picks, but that would appear to be a pretty big issue.  

In another note, Hollinger had an interesting article on all the teams at the trade deadline.   Probably not all true, but it does give you a look at what the teams were thinking in their deals.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 10:33 PM)F Gump Wrote: Might they be able to address this internally? While I'd certainly be glad to see them add more talent, they might have ways to go even if they add no one.

Bigs - Powell, Maxi Wood   (1/2 a slot to McGee)
...Swing - Maxi
...Swing - Green
Playmaker - Luka, Ky  (1/2 a slot to Hardy)

In this scenario, your 9th man minutes are split between McGee and Hardy, depending on what is needed that game. But most of the need is covered by using Maxi and Green in a way where they sop up minutes from 2 different places.

Certainly for the rest of the regular season, I hope Hardy is getting this 1/2 slot.  If you go back to January 5th, he's been playing regularly.  8 times his role was just 5-10 minutes (more of a quarter slot).  The other 8 times it has been anywhere from 12-27 minutes (mainly with people out injured).  I'd like to see him at least get an 8 minute run in the first half for the rest of the season.  I'm doubtful that will carry to the playoffs.  I'm also not trusting that the two game McGee sample size will hold.  I'd love for that to happen, just not sure it will.

Kidd did something unusual in the last game.  All season long subs have been at the six minute mark of the quarter.  Dinwiddie would sit for the back half of the first/third quarter and Luka would sit for the front half of the second/fourth quarter.  If he sticks with the 8 minute pattern (he did it in both halves), then slots end up being 40 minutes for Luka/Irving.  This probably applies to Green/Reggie as well.  He had at least one of the floor at all times against LAC.  Like DFS/Reggie in the playoffs last season, the two of them will join the 'one-on-the-floor-at-all-times' club.  Luka and Kyrie would play together for 8, separate for 4 for one and 4 for the other and play the final 8 together.  That is 40 a game.  It may not happen against San Antonio in the regular season, but probably will in playoff games.  Reggie and Green will do something similar.  You just won't be able to take those guys off the floor.

So, another way of solving the issue internally may mean 'slots' expand from 36 minutes (three six minute chunks per half) to 40 (two eight minute chunks and one four minute chunk per half).  I suspect Hardy would be squeezed out and the THJ minutes might drop (he averages 23.9 minutes per game when he comes off the bench this season).  That all works to the penny if Luka plays 100% of his minutes as the second biggest player on the court (call it PF for short hand).  That only gives Maxi about 8 of his 24 minutes as a PF with the remaining 16 as the solo big.  It is easy to imagine this.  He and Wood (together) cover the minutes where Luka sits together.  His solo-big minutes come mainly at the end of halves.

The issue is that leaves VERY limited minutes for Powell and Wood.  Powell goes back to shorter stints (he is the anti-Green.  Green's productivity skyrockets with extra minutes.  Powell's goes way up when he plays fewer minutes).  Maybe he gets 6-8 to start each half leaving Wood 20-24 per game.  None of this works out to the second.  Maybe Josh gets 36 on average instead of 40 giving a few more minutes to Powell or to lineups with Maxi/Wood together.  

I've read people say several times recently that Powell was "unplayable" in the playoffs.  That just isn't true.  He was +6.8 and +8.1 On-Court during the last two playoffs.  His On-Minus-Off has been +8.7 and +16.7.  He's impacting winning, he just needs to be managed properly to get that result.  Maxi was actually -1.4 and -8.8 On Court the last two playoff runs.  The good news is we have another option or two beyond just these guys.  The good news is McGee was a gross and net negative in last years playoffs and Wood has never sniffed the playoffs.  He may be just as 'unplayable'.  Hopefully it will come against the lesser competition of the bench and he will be just as productive and efficient on a per minute basis as he's been all season.  I think Kidd will be very cautious about 'exposing' him against starters in the playoffs.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, Hogmelon, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 08:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Certainly for the rest of the regular season, I hope Hardy is getting this 1/2 slot.  If you go back to January 5th, he's been playing regularly.  8 times his role was just 5-10 minutes (more of a quarter slot).  The other 8 times it has been anywhere from 12-27 minutes (mainly with people out injured).  I'd like to see him at least get an 8 minute run in the first half for the rest of the season.  I'm doubtful that will carry to the playoffs.  I'm also not trusting that the two game McGee sample size will hold.  I'd love for that to happen, just not sure it will.

Kidd did something unusual in the last game.  All season long subs have been at the six minute mark of the quarter.  Dinwiddie would sit for the back half of the first/third quarter and Luka would sit for the front half of the second/fourth quarter.  If he sticks with the 8 minute pattern (he did it in both halves), then slots end up being 40 minutes for Luka/Irving.  This probably applies to Green/Reggie as well.  He had at least one of the floor at all times against LAC.  Like DFS/Reggie in the playoffs last season, the two of them will join the 'one-on-the-floor-at-all-times' club.  Luka and Kyrie would play together for 8, separate for 4 for one and 4 for the other and play the final 8 together.  That is 40 a game.  It may not happen against San Antonio in the regular season, but probably will in playoff games.  Reggie and Green will do something similar.  You just won't be able to take those guys off the floor.

So, another way of solving the issue internally may mean 'slots' expand from 36 minutes (three six minute chunks per half) to 40 (two eight minute chunks and one four minute chunk per half).  I suspect Hardy would be squeezed out and the THJ minutes might drop (he averages 23.9 minutes per game when he comes off the bench this season).  That all works to the penny if Luka plays 100% of his minutes as the second biggest player on the court (call it PF for short hand).  That only gives Maxi about 8 of his 24 minutes as a PF with the remaining 16 as the solo big.  It is easy to imagine this.  He and Wood (together) cover the minutes where Luka sits together.  His solo-big minutes come mainly at the end of halves.

The issue is that leaves VERY limited minutes for Powell and Wood.  Powell goes back to shorter stints (he is the anti-Green.  Green's productivity skyrockets with extra minutes.  Powell's goes way up when he plays fewer minutes).  Maybe he gets 6-8 to start each half leaving Wood 20-24 per game.  None of this works out to the second.  Maybe Josh gets 36 on average instead of 40 giving a few more minutes to Powell or to lineups with Maxi/Wood together.  

I've read people say several times recently that Powell was "unplayable" in the playoffs.  That just isn't true.  He was +6.8 and +8.1 On-Court during the last two playoffs.  His On-Minus-Off has been +8.7 and +16.7.  He's impacting winning, he just needs to be managed properly to get that result.  Maxi was actually -1.4 and -8.8 On Court the last two playoff runs.  The good news is we have another option or two beyond just these guys.  The good news is McGee was a gross and net negative in last years playoffs and Wood has never sniffed the playoffs.  He may be just as 'unplayable'.  Hopefully it will come against the lesser competition of the bench and he will be just as productive and efficient on a per minute basis as he's been all season.  I think Kidd will be very cautious about 'exposing' him against starters in the playoffs.

I agree with everything about this (really great analysis)...except I'll be shocked if Hardaway plays fewer than 30 minutes. I do NOT think we're about to see the 40 minute stints for Green/Bullock the way we did for DFS/Bullock, mostly because Hardaway isn't injured this year. I DO think all three will play enough minutes to avoid Pinson getting on the court, unless there's foul trouble or something. 

But, again, that's a small nitpick on some great work!
Like Reply
(02-09-2023, 08:48 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What really need is good Maxi to return.  He makes so much make sense for the D.  If that happens and we close with Maxi/Luka/Green/Reggie/Irving, it will be really tough to close us out in a tight game.  There is enough D on the court to hold teams and between Reggie and Green hitting corner 3’s at a high rate and Luka, Kyrie and to some extend Green getting into the lane on a regular basis, we are going to be a load.  

That is a lot to put on Maxi and given his minutes limitations, you almost have to design his time on the court around closing and make everything else work around that.  If he’s not right, there are alternatives.  They just aren’t as good for what is needed as Maxi at his best.

The one thing I'd be worried about is the 2nd chance opportunities for opponents. Only Luka can really rebound the ball in that scenario. DFS helped a little bit in that, but even with him, we were bad. Maxi doenst' help that (Wood does). If we play Ky-Green-Bullock-Luka-Kleber, I assume it'll be too much to ask from Luka to go battle the boards.

Also our 2nd chance opportunities were alredy non existent (30th in the league before DFS trade) and will vanish if Powell is not playing. He's our only OREB (92nd percentile) now that DFS is gone.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
[-] The following 2 users Like HAguiar95's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 09:17 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: The one thing I'd be worried about is the 2nd chance opportunities for opponents. Only Luka can really rebound the ball in that scenario. DFS helped a little bit in that, but even with him, we were bad. Maxi doenst' help that (Wood does). If we play Ky-Green-Bullock-Luka-Kleber, I assume it'll be too much to ask from Luka to go battle the boards.

Also our 2nd chance opportunities were alredy non existent (30th in the league before DFS trade) and will vanish if Powell is not playing. He's our only OREB (92nd percentile) now that DFS is gone.

Oh, this team is going to be BAD on the glass. We just need to get our heads wrapped around that idea right away. Those playoff possessions where they play great defense, only to give up the big second or third chance three (the really frustrating kind) are coming. 

But...offensively, they have a chance to be LETHAL, as long as Hardaway, Green, Bullock and Kleber are hitting their catch-and-shoot attempts at a decent clip. You give Luka/Kyrie better spacing than the other team gets and we might see some blowout wins against good teams down the stretch. 

It really comes down to defense now - how hard are they going to play on that end down the stretch in order to learn how to play together quickly?
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 08:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Certainly for the rest of the regular season, I hope Hardy is getting this 1/2 slot.  If you go back to January 5th, he's been playing regularly.  8 times his role was just 5-10 minutes (more of a quarter slot).  The other 8 times it has been anywhere from 12-27 minutes (mainly with people out injured).  I'd like to see him at least get an 8 minute run in the first half for the rest of the season.  I'm doubtful that will carry to the playoffs.  I'm also not trusting that the two game McGee sample size will hold.  I'd love for that to happen, just not sure it will.

All of that is logical, but I think it's a bit premature.

The issue for me is that I think there are still things to figure out as to style and fit, for various players.  Will they go more up-tempo with more motion (and less iso) with Kyrie here? Some players may look way better than they have looked previously if the Mavs undergo such a modification, and some may look worse, and all that will impact minutes and roles for the back 2/3 of the roster.

I have no doubt they have enough players, to do what they choose to do (teams always find their best way to fill the various holes), but not sure even they yet know which players those will be, or in what amounts.
Like Reply