Poll: Who gets the Dirkie? (vote AFTER the game)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka
11.11%
2 11.11%
KP
83.33%
15 83.33%
Justin
0%
0 0%
Delon
0%
0 0%
Maxi
0%
0 0%
Jalen
0%
0 0%
THJ
5.56%
1 5.56%
DFS
0%
0 0%
Seth
0%
0 0%
Boban
0%
0 0%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GAMETHREAD: DAL @ DET, Oct 9, 6:00 PM....KP is a "15" in excitement level
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1182108206836981762
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 04:10 AM)omahen Wrote: Some additional thoughts:

KP and Luka took 18 shots each. The other three starters combined took 10. I think Luka and KP will have to involve others in a bigger extent, not just an occasional three here and there.

That was my main takeaway, too.  I have a feeling lots of teams will take the approach to let Luka get his and hope he becomes 3pt stepback happy, instead of going to the rim every time.
Like Reply
First half was actually good. Defense was decent. If Porzingis is defending the opposing centre we don't have a player capable of physically match strong PF like Griffin. So teams playing 2 strong frontocurt players will be a problem for us. A ssomeone said - Bobi is playable only if you utilize his offense. Defensively he is a big hole - reminding me of DAJ. Rebounding is a huge issue - I didn't think they will be this bad.
Third quarter was good till about 5 minutes left. At that point KP was substituted (and didn't return) and the game basically fell apart. They lost 10 point advantage in a couple of minutes. Last quarter was experimenting with reserves, so it is not really relevant.

KP and Luka took 18 shots each. The other three starters combined took 10. I think Luka and KP will have to involve others in a bigger extent, not just an occasional three here and there.

Favors was pretty gettable and would have fixed a lot of the rebounding/big body/defense/hustle issues. 

Adams is reportedly gettable, how much are we willing to give up for him? I like the framework by SleepingHero, but if they're asking for a first and we have the 1 available, (plus I'd give them 2 seconds as well if Gallo is included) make it happen. It'd be nice to see more starting quality guys in the lineup at the expense of youth that will probably pan out to be really good bench players (I'm saying anyone except Luka or KP is available to them, we have JJB to align a weaker bench unit). One problem with adding Maxi or Powell  to the deal would be that we can't do it til December.

Hoping that Wright is just slowed down by the hammy, but needs the experience with the team to see where he fits. I'm also hoping this is a turning of the corner for THJ and something clicked this game. Disappointed in 5 for 10 FTs and poor 3%. Team as a whole though was 37% from 3, so there's that.
Like Reply
KP is the center on defense for 30+ minutes per night. We don't have the minutes for a starting center. KP, DP, Maxi, DFS, Luka are going to have to rebound by committee. And Boban is essentially the 3rd center and will get spot duty, so he doesn't really even fit into the nightly equation. 

If you want KP + a real live starting center, then you're marrying yourself to a "two big" lineup for most of the game, which would be great for rebounding, but bad for defense. 

I think Adams is cool, and awesome, and maybe it could work if you staggered KP's and Adam's minutes, but I don't think any trade proposal made on this site gets it done. Based on what the OKC front office has been doing they probably want multiple first round picks and a young starter for Adams.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 07:46 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
First half was actually good. Defense was decent. If Porzingis is defending the opposing centre we don't have a player capable of physically match strong PF like Griffin. So teams playing 2 strong frontocurt players will be a problem for us. A ssomeone said - Bobi is playable only if you utilize his offense. Defensively he is a big hole - reminding me of DAJ. Rebounding is a huge issue - I didn't think they will be this bad.
Third quarter was good till about 5 minutes left. At that point KP was substituted (and didn't return) and the game basically fell apart. They lost 10 point advantage in a couple of minutes. Last quarter was experimenting with reserves, so it is not really relevant.

Favors was pretty gettable and would have fixed a lot of the rebounding/big body/defense/hustle issues. 

Adams is reportedly gettable, how much are we willing to give up for him? I like the framework by SleepingHero, but if they're asking for a first and we have the 1 available, (plus I'd give them 2 seconds as well if Gallo is included) make it happen. It'd be nice to see more starting quality guys in the lineup at the expense of youth that will probably pan out to be really good bench players (I'm saying anyone except Luka or KP is available to them, we have JJB to align a weaker bench unit). One problem with adding Maxi or Powell  to the deal would be that we can't do it til December.

Hoping that Wright is just slowed down by the hammy, but needs the experience with the team to see where he fits. I'm also hoping this is a turning of the corner for THJ and something clicked this game. Disappointed in 5 for 10 FTs and poor 3%. Team as a whole though was 37% from 3, so there's that.

A lot of players were available, yet no one seemed to be good enough for us... We prefer to have our TE... But hey, we had best ever offseason...

While I love Adams, I don't think he would fit next to KP as both of them would have problems guarding quicker PF. And there are more teams with quicker PF than Detroit type of teams. Can you imagine Adams running after Siakam type of guys? However, if OKC would do THJ for Adams swap, I would do it immediately :-)

I think we would need more the Ibaka type of player. A strong PF that doesn't get bullied in the paint and can actually grab a rebound.
Like Reply
For a few minutes the Mavs were able to run an unstoppable 5-out offense with KP at center. That´s the blueprint for the rest of the season.
Brunson took advantage and was able to get two easy layups because Detroit had no rim protection.
KPs gravity made things a lot easier even though he clearly was rusty.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 10:24 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For a few minutes the Mavs were able to run an unstoppable 5-out offense with KP at center. That´s the blueprint for the rest of the season.
Brunson took advantage and was able to get two easy layups because Detroit had no rim protection.

KP as the "one big" is what I've been dreaming of! I want to see it with Luka at pg as well.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 10:36 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 10:24 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For a few minutes the Mavs were able to run an unstoppable 5-out offense with KP at center. That´s the blueprint for the rest of the season.

KP as the "one big" is what I've been dreaming of! I want to see it with Luka at pg as well.

Dorian has to be the best Giannis defender right? Go Delon - Seth - Luka - DFS - KP
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 11:03 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:

Dorian has to be the best Giannis defender right? Go Delon - Seth - Luka - DFS - KP

I'd like to start DFS and KP and keep DP and Maxi together as the second unit bigs (with each getting a few minutes with KP too) but it doesn't look like they're going in that. direction. If the DFS/KP lineups prove to be the best choice once enough data is gathered they might have to make the change though.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 11:09 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 11:03 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:

I'd like to start DFS and KP and keep DP and Maxi together as the second unit bigs (with each getting a few minutes with KP too) but it doesn't look like they're going in that. direction. If the DFS/KP lineups prove to be the best choice once enough data is gathered they might have to make the change though.

I fear Dwight has been promised the starting spot
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 11:10 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I fear Dwight has been promised the starting spot

Screw that, you can't do business that way
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 11:17 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 11:10 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I fear Dwight has been promised the starting spot

Screw that, you can't do business that way

AGREE!!!

Rick and Donnie are smart. The way this roster is built, screams KP at C. It will happen... eventually.
Like Reply
I noticed that when KP was out there and either Blake or Drummond was on him; they had to work to guard him and his length bothered on the other end. Also, i saw a few times where KP's off-season muscle growth helped out - he wasn't out there getting pushed around. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 11:29 AM)iolide Wrote: I noticed that when KP was out there and either Blake or Drummond was on him; they had to work to guard him and his length bothered on the other end. Also, i saw a few times where KP's off-season muscle growth helped out - he wasn't out there getting pushed around. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

Yeah, KP was the only one who could defend Drummond. KP is our defensive center.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 02:59 AM)Jym Wrote: Wright has by far been the biggest disappointment to me so far. 
Where's the aggression? Not fighting for boards, not doing any hard drives to the basket 
Like it was mentioned if that hamstring is bothering him that much he shouldn't be playing

Expectations for Delon were higher than they had any [W]right to be. He is a career bench player for a reason; don't let the "omg Lowry/Conley held him back" claims or "advanced analytics" fool ya. 

If he's gonna start, he needs to play an Andre Roberson or Iguodala lite (GS version) type role: all out on defense then slash with the occasional splash on offense. His ball handling is a luxury, less focus on that. 

Our offense should be great this season and we should probably double down on it. The defense looks like a lost cause. Take the D'antoni approach and go for broke imo.

Brunson should be starting, he is our best rim attacker by far. Luka can get inside but he has trouble finishing. Furthermore, Luka looks like he's doing too much out there again; need someone to create easier opportunities for him.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 08:14 AM)omahen Wrote: While I love Adams, I don't think he would fit next to KP as both of them would have problems guarding quicker PF. And there are more teams with quicker PF than Detroit type of teams. Can you imagine Adams running after Siakam type of guys? However, if OKC would do THJ for Adams swap, I would do it immediately :-)

I think we would need more the Ibaka type of player. A strong PF that doesn't get bullied in the paint and can actually grab a rebound.

Can you imagine what Adams would do to Siakam type guys on offense? It would be easier than what he did against Kleber.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 12:03 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 08:14 AM)omahen Wrote: While I love Adams, I don't think he would fit next to KP as both of them would have problems guarding quicker PF. And there are more teams with quicker PF than Detroit type of teams. Can you imagine Adams running after Siakam type of guys? However, if OKC would do THJ for Adams swap, I would do it immediately :-)

Can you imagine what Adams would do to Siakam type guys on offense? It would be easier than what he did against Kleber.

VanVleet for 3!
Lowry for 3!
Siakam for 3!

The Mavs perimeter defense is falling apart!!!!!
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 11:58 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 02:59 AM)Jym Wrote: Wright has by far been the biggest disappointment to me so far. 
Where's the aggression? Not fighting for boards, not doing any hard drives to the basket 
Like it was mentioned if that hamstring is bothering him that much he shouldn't be playing

Expectations for Delon were higher than they had any [W]right to be. He is a career bench player for a reason; don't let the "omg Lowry/Conley held him back" claims or "advanced analytics" fool ya. 

If he's gonna start, he needs to play an Andre Roberson or Iguodala lite (GS version) type role: all out on defense then slash with the occasional splash on offense. His ball handling is a luxury, less focus on that. 

Our offense should be great this season and we should probably double down on it. The defense looks like a lost cause. Take the D'antoni approach and go for broke imo.

Brunson should be starting, he is our best rim attacker by far. Luka can get inside but he has trouble finishing. Furthermore, Luka looks like he's doing too much out there again; need someone to create easier opportunities for him.
I have also been saying Brunson should start...good ball handler and very capable spot up shooter and his defense is another plus in his favor...perfect compliment to Luka...Wright can get SF or SG minutes with his size...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 08:14 AM)omahen Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 07:46 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

A lot of players were available, yet no one seemed to be good enough for us... We prefer to have our TE... But hey, we had best ever offseason...

While I love Adams, I don't think he would fit next to KP as both of them would have problems guarding quicker PF. And there are more teams with quicker PF than Detroit type of teams. Can you imagine Adams running after Siakam type of guys? However, if OKC would do THJ for Adams swap, I would do it immediately :-)

An Ibaka, Siakam, Aaron Gordon, Draymond Green, etc. type guy is exactly what we are missing. 

I love Adams too but the asking price is way too high. We should NOT be trading our 1st rounders any more; those are lottery tickets and a big reason why we fell from grace was because of our compulsion to rid of said 1st rounders. 

At this point, we just need to buckle up and enjoy the ride 'til 2021 summer rolls around and THJ is finally gone. Only then we have a chance to add a legit 3/D forward.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 06:26 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

That was my main takeaway, too.  I have a feeling lots of teams will take the approach to let Luka get his and hope he becomes 3pt stepback happy, instead of going to the rim every time.

It's early and it didn't feel like the Mavs were playing a particular good team offense tbh. It was mainly just Luka running all sorts of high pick and rolls. Of course you want a good dose of that because he is elite at scoring and creating that way. But watching last season you also get that this type of system is too predictable and depending on Luka having a monster game on a nightly basis. That's why they have Wright as second creator and you can also run plays through KP in the post. I expect much more variance going forward. Otherwise this team will be as limited as last year, just will slightly better players.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply