Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 35: NYK (18-17) @ DAL (19-16) | 126-121 win
(12-28-2022, 08:31 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The reason we played those guys as much as we did and played a good number of two-big minutes (two big minutes we were +4 for regulation and +11 when you add OT) is because Reggie's minutes were a disaster.  O-Rating was a team low 100 when Reggie was in the game.  Net rating was also team worst -21.6.  I'm not sure two-big is necessarily about the bigs.  It may be that without DFS and Green and with Reggie playing so poorly, Kidd has to do something.

New York played a lot of 2 big lineups as well. Seems like Kidd was trying to avoid getting crushed on the boards any worse than they already were. No point in having Reggie out there against Robinson/Randle if he's not hitting shots.
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 09:34 AM)loki Wrote: New York played a lot of 2 big lineups as well. Seems like Kidd was trying to avoid getting crushed on the boards any worse than they already were. No point in having Reggie out there against Robinson/Randle if he's not hitting shots.

Yeah, I think it was part about not having DFS or Kleber and part of it was that those are the two players who would normally be tasked with guarding Randle. 

When the lineup you've been using recently has you putting Hardaway on Randle, it's easy to imagine why you'd get Powell in there with Wood.
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 07:54 AM)Kammrath Wrote: He credited McGee with the rebound tip that Wood actually was responsible for that led to the game tying shot? Or credited McGee with the tip to start OT?

You tell me. This is taken from the writeup on mavs.com.

Quote:Said coach Jason Kidd of the overtime-forcing play: “This kid doesn’t quit. You can see that. Late game was better for us tonight. The putback, JaVale caused that. That was a big play by JaVale sitting there the whole night. And then coming up with a play to help tie the game.

https://www.mavs.com/mavs-top-knicks/
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 11:59 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: You tell me. this is taken from the writeup on mavs.com.

https://www.mavs.com/mavs-top-knicks/

Well hopefully he sees the replay and tells Wood good job.
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 12:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Well hopefully he sees the replay and tells Wood good job.
From the guy you say is a narcissist.
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 12:56 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: From the guy you say is a narcissist.

To be fair, I do not know Kidd at all, except from a fan perspective. He comes across as a narcissist, but that doesn't mean I am right about that. So at the same time thinking he is a narcissist, I hold out hope that he is more human and empathetic.
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 01:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: To be fair, I do not know Kidd at all, except from a fan perspective. He comes across as a narcissist, but that doesn't mean I am right about that. So at the same time thinking he is a narcissist, I hold out hope that he is more human and empathetic.
Even if he did correct his mistake, it points to how desperate he is to praise a guy who he wanted here as opposed to the correct player making the play. It's a mindset.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 01:19 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It's a mindset.

Oh I totally agree that all the evidence this season points to Kidd WANTING to lift up McGee and to dog Wood.
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 01:21 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Oh I totally agree that all the evidence this season points to Kidd WANTING to lift up McGee and to dog Wood.

JKidd's dishonesty duly noted.
Like Reply
As much as some of you want to say that Kidd wants to prop up McGee, a lot of you are equally excited to tear him down.  Although Wood got the tap, they were both close.  Randle did a pretty good job boxing out Wood.  McGee forced Robinson forward, moved his position to darn near under the basket and had a sneaky armbar which prevented him from raising up for the rebound.  The space McGee created under the basket helped get that ball out.  The devil is in the details.

Props to whoever decided the alignment.  Doubtful anyone on our team could root out Randle but Mitchell is far less of a bull.
Like Reply
Can we talk more about Luka's performance????

I mean he literally had one of the best games of all time.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Nowitzki Way, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Those two clutch rebounds and putbacks while in the air are amazing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoredAssistant's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 02:55 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: Those two clutch rebounds and putbacks while in the air are amazing.

What is crazy to me is that he did all of this without catching fire and hitting like 10 threes in a row. 

He was just scoring like he normally does, over and over and over. What's scary is that in my mind he can replicate that scoring output on any night as long as he's not getting double/triple teamed. 

He's a monster.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
LOL

https://twitter.com/lukaupdates/status/1...93504?s=61&t=bM5UbNG7dwdmKY4kAvcN6g
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
That was the greatest individual sports performance I've seen in my 40 years of existence. 

I watched Kobe drop 62 in 3 quarters against the Mavs. The Josh Hamilton 5 for 5 with 4 homeruns. Randy Moss with 3 catches for 163 yards and 3 TDs. 

That was pure greatness from Luka. We are so lucky and privileged to watch him for 82 games a year. This is why Mavs fans are so passionate about Cuban and co. building the right team around him. We cannot waste the prime years of Luka. 

As long as he stays healthy he WILL go down as one of the top 15 greatest Bball players ever.  

Can he crack the 10 ?

1. Jordan
  2. Lebron
  3. Wilt
  4. Kareem
  5. Bill Russell
  6. Magic
  7. Kobe
  8. Shaq
  9. Bird
  10. Duncan
  11. Oscar Robertson
  12. Durant
  13. Steph
  14. Hakeem
  15. Dr. J.
  16. Giannis   
  17. Karl Malone
  18. Dirk
  19. Jerry West
  20. Moses Malone
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 01:19 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Even if he did correct his mistake, it points to how desperate he is to praise a guy who he wanted here as opposed to the correct player making the play. It's a mindset.

Honestly, he pulled McGee out of the starting lineup quicker than I would have guessed and has been giving him almost no minutes even with the injuries.  His actions have done plenty to admit that signing was a mistake.  Given that we are overpaying McGee for 3 years and at least some of his issues seems to be of the motivational variety, I don't blame for Kidd trying to prop him up the very few times he shows a hint of value on the court.

I did not like the way Kidd threw Wood under the bus in post game interviews earlier in the season, but the tone on those has changed.  He has made several comments about Wood playing well on both ends of the floor, and Wood is currently starting and generally getting over 30 minutes a game.  Everything I have seen recently is pointing more and more to the narrative that Kidd has been trying to get the most out of Wood defensively as opposed to the narrative that he didn't want Wood here and was trying to sabotage him.
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 03:14 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: That was pure greatness from Luka. We are so lucky and privileged to watch him for 82 games a year. This is why Mavs fans are so passionate about Cuban and co. building the right team around him. We cannot waste the prime years of Luka. 

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 03:14 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: That was the greatest individual sports performance I've seen in my 40 years of existence. 

I watched Kobe drop 62 in 3 quarters against the Mavs. The Josh Hamilton 5 for 5 with 4 homeruns. Randy Moss with 3 catches for 163 yards and 3 TDs. 

That was pure greatness from Luka. We are so lucky and privileged to watch him for 82 games a year. This is why Mavs fans are so passionate about Cuban and co. building the right team around him. We cannot waste the prime years of Luka. 

As long as he stays healthy he WILL go down as one of the top 15 greatest Bball players ever.  

Can he crack the 10 ?

1. Jordan
  2. Lebron
  3. Wilt
  4. Kareem
  5. Bill Russell
  6. Magic
  7. Kobe
  8. Shaq
  9. Bird
  10. Duncan
  11. Oscar Robertson
  12. Durant
  13. Steph
  14. Hakeem
  15. Dr. J.
  16. Giannis   
  17. Karl Malone
  18. Dirk
  19. Jerry West
  20. Moses Malone

I don't know who's list that is, but Kobe is too high and Dirk is too low.  Durant is too high as well.
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 03:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!!!

More specifically.  We cannot waste Luka's prime by surrounding him with one dimensional role players.

(12-28-2022, 03:24 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't know who's list that is, but Kobe is too high and Dirk is too low.  Durant is too high as well.

Just a random compilation. Nothing official. Wanted to give a visual for those who doubt Luka could reach the top 15-20.
Like Reply
(12-28-2022, 03:26 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote:  
Just a random compilation. Nothing official. Wanted to give a visual for those who doubt Luka could reach the top 15-20.

They were so bold on The NBA Podcast today to raise the issue of how long before Lebron vs. Michael is replaced by Luka vs. Lebron.  They pointed out that Luka is doing more in fewer minutes than Lebron was at the same point in their careers (five seasons).  Below is an averaging of the season averages (which is slightly different than the per game average for each season, but the numbers were easier to come by).  Note how close almost all of these numbers are:

Lebron      Luka
Minutes       41.1          34.5

FGA            21.2           20.3

FG%          .466          .466

3PA             4.0            8.2

3P%           .322          .340

EFG            .496          .535

FTA             8.7            8.2

FT%           .730          .737

DRB            5.6            7.6

TRB            6.9            8.6

ASST           6.6            8.2

STL             1.8            1.2

TOV            3.3             4.1

PTS             27.4          27.9

Bear in mind that Lebron is achieving virtually identical counting stats while playing 19% more minutes.  OK, Luka has more Assists, Rebounds and TO's, but everything else is about the same.  It is kind of uncanny.  

But wait!!!  Now normalize the minutes and not only does Lebron never score as much per 36 in his first five years as Luka has averaged per 36 in that time (28.6), Lebron has only achieved that number per 36 once in 20 years (last season).   Lebron has never once achieved a per 36 rebounding number equal to what Luka has averaged in his first 5 years per 36 (9.0).  There have only been two seasons in 20 where Lebron's per 36 assists have bested the per 36 assists Luka has averaged his first five years (8.5)

So, the perception that Luka and Lebron were similar in their first five years is almost completely about the extra minutes Lebron played.  Even without the extra minutes, Luka bests his numbers.  Normalize the minutes and almost any scoring, rebounding or assist season for Lebron is a disappointment compared to what Luka is averaging super early in his career.  Top 15-20.  Yeah, just a matter of health.
Like Reply