Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 24: DAL (13-11) @ DEN (14-10) | 116-115 win
Jokic took what the defense allowed and then got his team back in the game at the end when he was needed.  He did that with his costar playing for the wrong team.  He also didn't act like a petulant child when calls weren't going his way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
also did not like that Luka was openly frustrated with his teammate at that one play when he had the turnover (was it DFS? what was he mad about?) going to have to rewatch this bit
that body language is not a good look
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 12:46 AM)cow Wrote: Jokic took what the defense allowed and then got his team back in the game at the end when he was needed.  He did that with his costar playing for the wrong team.  He also didn't act like a petulant child when calls weren't going his way.

That’s true. He made some scary plays down the stretch.
Like Reply
I haven't seen Jokic play besides today, but I get the feeling he is easing his way into the season.  Probably more important for Denver to get Murray, Porter and Gordon playing well.   They are still winning and it is a long season.   I expect Jokic will look to score more as the year goes on.
Like Reply
What an ugly, lucky win. Luka almost lost us the game there at the end with two turnovers. My god
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 12:48 AM)BolsDamols Wrote: also did not like that Luka was openly frustrated with his teammate at that one play when he had the turnover (was it DFS? what was he mad about?) going to have to rewatch this bit

I think he was mad that he cut into the lane.  I think.   But Luka has a terrible habit of not getting back.  It compounds the turnover because it typically ends in an easy basket.
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 12:48 AM)BolsDamols Wrote: also did not like that Luka was openly frustrated with his teammate at that one play when he had the turnover (was it DFS? what was he mad about?) going to have to rewatch this bit

I'm not sure but I think that was Maxi.
Like Reply
https://ibb.co/127X4Yv

Chicago was right, it was because DFS moved away from the wing. He was supposed to stay at the 3 pt line to draw out Bruce Brown
He meant to make a pass to Timmy in the corner which was intercepted by Brown.

But it was low pass which I think might have been stolen regardless of where DFS was
[-] The following 1 user Likes BolsDamols's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
Luka should be annoyed at himself with that play.  He's wide open in the lane, shoot the damn ball.
Like Reply
Everything is easy when the shots are falling. Both teams doubling opposing stars basically whole night and Mavs other guys were better than Denvers. THJ has been a different man since he was put in the starting five. He is not bad defensively and he contributes way more to offense than Bullock.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Not just the traveling to altitude but also the 7th game in 11 days.

Human Luka game and still beat a very good western conference team. I live up here and have been to a ton of these and experienced some rough losses so this one felt nice. That win is such a steal, I assumed I was walking into a loss months ago when I bought these tickets when looking at the schedule.

Best dorian game of the season and Hardaway feels like he’s really found a role in Kidds system now.
Like Reply
I thought Wood did several good things out there last night.   The more I watch him, the more I agree that he is best as a high minute, hired gun bench player for a good team.   I just don't know if he sees that in his future though.  Although maybe as the season on he gets a little more responsibility....or maybe this is who he is.  I would like to see him get more than 7 shots though.  

We all know Dwight will work his butt off.  Just like last regular season, he has been productive.   He had some dips in our losing streaks though.   My concern is what happens if he is not effective as a starter during the playoffs again?   What is the backup plan?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 08:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I thought Wood did several good things out there last night.   The more I watch him, the more I agree that he is best as a high minute, hired gun bench player for a good team.   I just don't know if he sees that in his future though.  Although maybe as the season on he gets a little more responsibility....or maybe this is who he is.  I would like to see him get more than 7 shots though.  

We all know Dwight will work his butt off.  Just like last regular season, he has been productive.   He had some dips in our losing streaks though.   My concern is what happens if he is not effective as a starter during the playoffs again?   What is the backup plan?

This is where I've been on Wood.  But, you bring up the correct issue.  How far can we go with Powell in "the Powell role".  If Maxi and Wood are largely a tandem and even if Wood gets 30-32 minutes, then there is still a sizable role that Powell (or a replacement) needs to fill Does anyone remember me saying this summer that the board will be shocked at how much Powell plays this year?  I'm a Powell fan in the right role, but even I don't think we've nailed that role.  I think we are 'getting away with' that role in the regular season.  Adding Wood certainly helps eat up some minutes vs. just having Powell and Maxi last year in the playoffs.  But, I'm not sure it is enough.

For Killer...Green was first off the bench in both halves last night.  It feels like he's fully passed Bullock in the rotation.  Green and Wood came in together in the first half (which I like MUCH better than when THJ and Wood came in together).  Green came in just a hair before Wood and Maxi in the second half.

I'll give Wood his due here.  That two minutes he was in with Green in the first quarter before Maxi joined him was a +8 with Wood as a solo-big.  And, it came against Jokic.  If I'm going to point out when it doesn't work, I need to point out when it does.  Maxi and Wood came in together and left together in the second half.  I saw that some people didn't like Powell returning for two minutes in the fourth.  But if he didn't, Maxi would have to play 15 straight minutes to finish the game.  Maxi is Kidd's closer and Wood's caddy.  A good bit of what happens with the second half rotation is designed to set that up.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 08:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I thought Wood did several good things out there last night.   The more I watch him, the more I agree that he is best as a high minute, hired gun bench player for a good team.   I just don't know if he sees that in his future though.  Although maybe as the season on he gets a little more responsibility....or maybe this is who he is.  I would like to see him get more than 7 shots though.  

That is the rub, isn't it.  History says Powell starting as single big in playoffs is not a recipe for success.  He should probably be coming off the bench.  That likely means Maxi (who generally gets more minutes in the playoffs) in the starting lineup.  Does that mean we need to play Wood there too?  Can a starting lineup including Luka/Wood/Timmy play playoff defense?  We need to see more minutes with Wood as single big.
Like Reply
Did I hear correctly that Luka had no shot attempts in Q4? Or was just that he didn't score? He came back early, at around the 7:30 mark.

Either way it's impressive from a team standpoint that they hung on for the win.
Like Reply
I'll give Luka the pass here. It was because not only was it a back-to-back in altitude, but also because the bench forced Kidd to put Luka back in way too early in the 4th. Kidd said it himself - Luka's eventually going to wear down with crap like that, and it's not surprising it happened last night.
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 10:56 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Did I hear correctly that Luka had no shot attempts in Q4? Or was just that he didn't score? He came back early, at around the 7:30 mark.

Either way it's impressive from a team standpoint that they hung on for the win.

He actually had several critical crunch-time misses down the stretch, but they managed to hold on anyway.
Like Reply
Rest of the team might turn a corner, but Bullock is absolutely frightened to shoot and it really visibly hurt the team last night. He refused open shots on numerous occasions. I know it´s not great to pull a player with an already shaky confidence, but this is just not helpful for him anymore. Take him out of the line of fire and rehab his legs and confidence in practice. His shots were sometimes shockingly short. Maybe there is an underlying physical problem? It looked like a small child that lacked the physical strength to get the big basketball to the rim.
Like Reply
(12-07-2022, 02:49 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Not just the traveling to altitude but also the 7th game in 11 days.

Human Luka game and still beat a very good western conference team. I live up here and have been to a ton of these and experienced some rough losses so this one felt nice. That win is such a steal, I assumed I was walking into a loss months ago when I bought these tickets when looking at the schedule.

Best dorian game of the season and Hardaway feels like he’s really found a role in Kidds system now.

As long as he's making shots, everything is peaches and cream. It's when him and the others aren't making them is the problem. Can't expect every game to be like last night. Shots come and go.
Like Reply