Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 21: DAL (10-11) @ DET (6-18) | 125-131 OT loss
(12-01-2022, 10:30 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Would have taken any of them over McGee. What I fear is ending up with one of them with McGee still on the roster.

I just wanted a traditional big on a one-year minimum deal.  McGee was my preference.  Cuban and company Monkey Pawed me good.
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 10:27 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: white whale

[Image: 929d16f2-84e1-42fa-9638-42f3afeb0553_text.gif]
Like Reply
Out of all the ridiculous things in this game, the most ridiculous of all?  The Mavs were favored by 8?  Lol.  Some folks just have yet to fully grasp the extent of this team’s, this franchise’s utter failure.  What a joke.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 07:15 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: No energy
Like Reply
This team needs Josh Greens energy to start these games.

For Kidd to give him 15 minutes is one of the most laughable things I’ve ever seen on a box score.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 09:48 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: No way this is a playoff team.  I just hope they don’t wind up with pick #11.  Until I see otherwise, I want to be a seller at the trade deadline

Now this is an interesting idea to explore.  

Who would be your untouchables?  Luka, DFS, Green and Hardy?  Anyone else you'd prefer to keep as part of the next iteration of the Mav's?

If you aren't willing to deal Luka, DFS, Green and Hardy who would a playoff team be interested in?  Wood and Powell expire.  RB and SD have partial guarantees.   Anyone else with LT money?  Heck, would anyone even be interested in the the guys with ST money?

Do you trade for expiring deals?  We are over $10mm over the cap without bringing back Wood and Powell.  It would take a lot of dealing to get significant cap room for the upcoming summer...and for who?  Russell Westbrook anyone?

Or, do you take on multi-year vets and get young players and picks as part of the compensation?  Have everyone expire when the cap expands and bring in multiple guys.

How do you guarantee yourself a guaranteed 2024 pick (assuming you keep 2023) so that you can have picks to trade this summer.  Maybe the 'worst of' from one of these teams with multiple unprotected firsts?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 11:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Luka, DFS, Green and Hardy
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
I literally don't think the Mavs could possibly get worse if they sold off all their players other than Luka and just did a complete rebuild from scratch.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Paul Gasol, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 11:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Luka, DFS, Green and Hardy?  
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 11:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Now this is an interesting idea to explore.  

Who would be your untouchables?  Luka, DFS, Green and Hardy?  Anyone else you'd prefer to keep as part of the next iteration of the Mav's?

I would add Maxi to that list as well. I just can't give up on DFS and Maxi yet. So yeah: Luka, DFS, Maxi, Green, and Hardy. Everyone else can go. We can't do a Thunder-style multiyear teardown and rebuild with Luka being so good, but if we had to do a one year tank, get a top 10 pick, then trade everyone else but the aforementioned guys and see if we can remake the team in the next year or two, we might need to consider it.
[-] The following 2 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Luka is the only untouchable on the team.

But I'd like to keep these guys:
Maxi - hard to find guys like that, if anything, you need to add another one like him.
DFS - Maxi to a lesser degree, but the team needs to keep a 3andD guy, he should be it.
Green - His game as is good enough, but it's almost a given, Josh will get better.

These 4 guys can actually start next season for familiarity. They'd look better with VW or Scoot of course.
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • ballsrchr, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(12-02-2022, 12:29 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Luka is the only untouchable on the team.

But I'd like to keep these guys:
Maxi - hard to find guys like that, if anything, you need to add another one like him.
DFS - Maxi to a lesser degree, but the team needs to keep a 3andD guy, he should be it.
Green - His game as is good enough, but it's almost a given, Josh will get better.

These 4 guys can actually start next season for familiarity. They'd look better with VW or Scoot of course.

Lot of nice talent. Ausar Thompson´s G-League stats are pretty eye-popping. 19/5/4 with 3.5 SPG, 1 BPG and 43% from three. Might be the best G-League rookie yet. Or his brother. Tongue
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 12:51 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Alas I'm expecting a very close game because this team always plays down to their competition, and will probably need Luka to bail them out again. 

Hilarious.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
This is simply a garbage team. All my worst fears about Brunson leaving were not only realized, but fully exceeded but how mishandled every aspect of the team has been since then. This can't be fixed, they need to sell what they can, build around Luka/Green/Hardy and whatever they can trade for in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 09:32 PM)cow Wrote: Hayes was cooking him.

What????    He took one shot against Josh.  It certainly wasn't the worst defensive effort of the night against Hayes.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=31800&GameID=0022200325&PlayerID=1630165&RangeType=0&Season=2022-23&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612765&flag=3&sct=plot§ion=game
Like Reply
(12-02-2022, 05:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What????    He took one shot against Josh.  It certainly wasn't the worst defensive effort of the night against Hayes.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=31800&GameID=0022200325&PlayerID=1630165&RangeType=0&Season=2022-23&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612765&flag=3&sct=plot§ion=game

100% success rate.  Cooked.
Like Reply
(12-02-2022, 05:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What????    He took one shot against Josh.  It certainly wasn't the worst defensive effort of the night against Hayes.

I didn't know about the four fouls for Green, but still I am even more upset about it this morning.   

I try not to second guess playing minutes, especially when the choices/results can differ by the game when you have guys at the similar level of talent, but Green needs more than 15 minutes.   He is starting to feel himself on the court and playing with confidence.  I love how he is even attacking the rim some now.   To see Bullock with 22 minutes, DFS with 32 and Hardaway with 40 is so frustrating.   It gives me major concerns is Josh is going to lose some minutes from Kemba too.
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 11:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Now this is an interesting idea to explore.  

If you aren't willing to deal Luka, DFS, Green and Hardy who would a playoff team be interested in?  Wood and Powell expire.  RB and SD have partial guarantees.   Anyone else with LT money?  Heck, would anyone even be interested in the the guys with ST money?

Do you trade for expiring deals?  We are over $10mm over the cap without bringing back Wood and Powell.  It would take a lot of dealing to get significant cap room for the upcoming summer...and for who?  Russell Westbrook anyone?

Or, do you take on multi-year vets and get young players and picks as part of the compensation?  Have everyone expire when the cap expands and bring in multiple guys.

How do you guarantee yourself a guaranteed 2024 pick (assuming you keep 2023) so that you can have picks to trade this summer.  Maybe the 'worst of' from one of these teams with multiple unprotected firsts?

For me, Luka is the only untouchable.   It is moot though. Cuban will not do the right thing or the big visionary move.   Note, I am not saying that a full blowup is the right decision.  Only that I am confident Cuban will not make the right decision (roster, front office, coach--the big decisions)

Regardless, this thing needs to get squarely back on track by next year at the latest.   This team needs to look like it is set up nicely and a contender next year.  I am growing less and less confident that the plan to get all your picks back and hope someone doesn't out bid you for a second star is not the winning strategy.   In fact, I think that has more disaster written all over it than success.
Like Reply
(12-02-2022, 07:50 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: For me, Luka is the only untouchable.   It is moot though. Cuban will not do the right thing or the big visionary move.   Note, I am not saying that a full blowup is the right decision.  Only that I am confident Cuban will not make the right decision (roster, front office, coach--the big decisions)

Regardless, this thing needs to get squarely back on track by next year at the latest.   This team needs to look like it is set up nicely and a contender next year.  I am growing less and less confident that the plan to get all your picks back and hope someone doesn't out bid you for a second star is not the winning strategy.   In fact, I think that has more disaster written all over it than success.

I´d love to survey the other GMs on a possible Mavs tank. I wonder whether they are genuinely concerned about a Luka/Wembanyama or Scoot pairing or are just very calm, because they know Cuban is far too dumb to even consider this option.
Like Reply
(12-02-2022, 10:31 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I´d love to survey the other GMs on a possible Mavs tank. I wonder whether they are genuinely concerned about a Luka/Wembanyama or Scoot pairing or are just very calm, because they know Cuban is far too dumb to even consider this option.

I am really negative right now and maybe my view will change if they start to play better.  But this season has sucked.  I am getting very little enjoyment out of this season...even in their wins.

Portland may not make the playoffs this year, but Dallas really needs an offseason similar to Portland's this year.   Young prospect in Sharpe, trade for a ready to win now veteran in Grant, Interesting second round prospect, & probably one additional move.   I think that is the easiest way to get things back on track.   Not sure if that is even enough.  I just have fear of waiting until we own all our picks and think everything is going to be rosy then.   I just think that may lead to more disappointment as we get left out in the dry by getting outbid for the guys who are difference makers.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Mavs2021
Like Reply