Poll: How would you grade this potential signing?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
11.11%
3 11.11%
B
25.93%
7 25.93%
C
37.04%
10 37.04%
D
11.11%
3 11.11%
F
0%
0 0%
L.O.L.
14.81%
4 14.81%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Kemba Walker to DAL | his knee is "not good"
Exclamation 
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...7877102592
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...7903483905
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/stat...2552419328
Like Reply
Mavs always get the guys they want in free agency...3-5 years later when they are washed.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, dynamicalVoid, HoosierDaddyKid, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Also another episode of the good old asset management story. He was traded on draft day. Three team deal involving Hornets, Knicks and Pistons.
Pistons landed Duren (13th pick) and Kemba in exchange for a future Bucks first. Pretty good deal. Eating Kemba´s contract allowed them to move up in the lottery.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
Why now and not then? 
What I mean by "then" is -- was it a choice between Facu or Walker, and they opted for Facu before?
Like Reply
Solid signing for the minimum, but it’s about how we‘ve arrived at this point that’s beyond baffling. Re-sign Brunson and you completely avoid this mess but of course they had to save money.

Another awful look: they had ALL summer to sign a cheap replacement PG but completely whiffed on FA and training camp. Now we’re almost 20 games into the season and have to work a new PG into the rotation.

That’s incompetent decision making on all levels for a really long stretch in this matter. 

Somebody should get fired for this. It’s just terrible work from the organization.
[-] The following 4 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • KillerLeft, Paul Gasol, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 08:58 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Also another episode of the good old asset management story. He was traded on draft day. Three team deal involving Hornets, Knicks and Pistons.
Pistons landed Duren (13th pick) and Kemba in exchange for a future Bucks first. Pretty good deal. Eating Kemba´s contract allowed them to move up in the lottery.

Mavs had a TE, but didn't use it. They could basically buy a FRP for a guy they need anyway. Its all about the money...
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 08:59 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Why now and not then? 
What I mean by "then" is -- was it a choice between Facu or Walker, and they opted for Facu before?

Kemba wasn't waived until after Facu was signed if I remember correctly (same day, but Facu first then Kemba).  I suspect Detroit and Dallas played chicken all summer.  Both lost.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
There are two possibilities to this. Either Kemba gets the Campazzo role and they didn't make the move sooner, because Kemba was looking for a bigger role and couldn't find it. Or, Mavs realized they need more playmaking and they are signing a more offensively capable guy. In this case the big question is, where does the minutes come from and what happens to the player losing the minutes. Most obvious choice would be THJ. But can Mavs afford having another 20 mil on the bench without any playing time? How do you recover from that. All other options make less sense, even Bullock despite his terrible play.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 09:12 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Kemba wasn't waived until after Facu was signed if I remember correctly (same day, but Facu first then Kemba).  I suspect Detroit and Dallas played chicken all summer.  Both lost.

This was likely about the buyout amount, or said another way, it was about how much Dallas would pay Walker to offset the amount Detroit would pay Kemba for the buyout. Dallas and Detroit were probably negotiating on this and the Mavs forced Detroit's hand by signing Facu for the minimum. With Dallas off the table, Detroit paid Walker the full amount and let him go. Fast forward a few weeks and Dallas now gets Kemba at the minimum, which was the price they were willing to pay all along. 

I could be wrong, but it sounds like Dallas won, at the cost of a 19 game delay.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I figured Bledsoe would have provided some defense and more minutes but apparently he plays for Shanghai.
Like Reply
Just asking.. Does anyone think this moves the needle? I'll be optimistic and say it can't be any worse than it has been.
Like Reply
Good signing for the minimum.

Mavs are a slow paced team and loves the 3 ball.
He wouldn't be asked to drive the lane or push the tempo.
He just needs to bring the ball up, be an outlet for Luka/SD traps, move the ball around and spot up from 3.
Easy enough for him.

Kemba's going to be the weakest link in defense every time he is on the floor though.
Probably will give up more points than he can contribute.
And would miss games.

Knicks fans are probably laughing at the Mavs right now.
Like Reply
I like the deal. Kemba said on the Woj pod he's looking for a rotation spot and 18-20 MPG which is about what Dallas can offer. Kemba is a solid veteran leader who can help keep the wheels on. 

I expect we'll see more solo big lineups involving Wood and Kleber at center, two guards and two wings -- and scrambling defense. This is a back to the future move and I expect the team to play better as a result but they're not a contender.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 09:34 AM)Smitty Wrote: Just asking.. Does anyone think this moves the needle? I'll be optimistic and say it can't be any worse than it has been.

It doesn't.
But IMHo, Kemba still helps them.

I'm hoping it's a "hold-the-fort move" until a trade for a better PG is done.
Like Reply
Facu to Kemba vet min is an A.  If it helps the team win games, idk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 09:15 AM)omahen Wrote: There are two possibilities to this. Either Kemba gets the Campazzo role and they didn't make the move sooner, because Kemba was looking for a bigger role and couldn't find it. Or, Mavs realized they need more playmaking and they are signing a more offensively capable guy. In this case the big question is, where does the minutes come from and what happens to the player losing the minutes. Most obvious choice would be THJ. But can Mavs afford having another 20 mil on the bench without any playing time? How do you recover from that. All other options make less sense, even Bullock despite his terrible play.

It is a bad sign thinking that McGee, Bertans and THJ are just dead weight and around 40-45 million sitting on the bench for the next 2.5 years.   

My hope is THJ would play well and be moved either during the season or after the season.  I thought that was a realistic expectation.    I am really trying to pump the breaks on Hardy, but next year Hardaway can't be a progress stopper for Hardy or another young prospect.    Not sure what happens if he is untradeable and here for the next 2.5 years.   

I think Kemba is viewed as an every game player.  He can fill that role, but eventually his knee issues pop back up.  So it will, at best, be a short term solution.    Maybe Din, Kemba, Green, X & X could work for stretches off the bench.   I assuming the other X's would need to be plus defenders???
Like Reply
If the expectation is for Kemba to play then I don't see how we also get more minutes for Green without just putting Hardaway or Bullock at the end of the bench.  Either that or there's another move in mind pairing one of those with Wood and sending them off.

As painful as it is to sit that money, you can't fall into a sunk cost fallacy way of thinking because Hardaway is simply holding this team back when he's on the court.  Honestly sitting him at this point may be the best for his trade value anyway, let someone think they can build him back up instead of constantly exposing how bad it's gotten for him.

Wood/Bullock for John Collins right now would make a lot of sense for this roster right now...
Like Reply
From where they are now, this is an absolute no-brainer, and there's no way it has any impact other than a positive one. 

Even if Walker can't play, he'll help. Just by being Kemba Walker.
Like Reply