Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Mike Fisher and Maven/SI
(11-01-2019, 08:43 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: "Real" journalists have a hard time fighting for recognition and position. 

Posted this in the Doncic thread (where you'll find a great article by The Ringer) but it really belongs here.

IMO The Ringer is putting out good stuff because their writers actually know what they're doing. 

Meanwhile, as discussed in another thread, most local Mavs coverage is offered by untrained bloggers or last-generation beat writers who aren't offering much more than you can get from some random dude on a barstool with nba-stats-dot-com on his phone.

There's another thread talking about the changes in the media industry. Clearly it's in transition. But real, honest, good, modern content will still break through. 

When talented professional writers realize they can't keep their jobs by serving up warmed leftovers, generic stats & recaps that are available for free from a million places we'll start to see more of this kind of thing. And people will pay for it. 

My big problem with Dallasbasketball .com is the content is no better than it was in 2005. In fact, it's probably worse. 

Donuts are now mostly just links to old stories or quotes. Nothing new or interesting. Worse, take a look at one of Fish's video blogs. It's totally transparent that the videos are NOTHING more than a blatant attempt to capture long-form advertising revenue. ZERO production value. Just Fish talking with a bunch of ads every few minutes. The site is a dinosaur and needs to evolve or it will die.
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 11:42 AM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 08:43 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: "Real" journalists have a hard time fighting for recognition and position. 

Posted this in the Doncic thread (where you'll find a great article by The Ringer) but it really belongs here.
Yeah I know. Was the one posting it. Also.mentioned previously that national media especially the ringer are taking a growing liking on the Mavs.

Luka is far more marketable than Dirk ever was. He is the white boys poster child
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 05:40 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: "Was a long story. 

it was Jake, his fiancé, her dad sitting somewhere for dinner. Was during Cowboys training camp. Fish came over and sat down with them. They didn’t really know each other. Then he asked if he could draw a picture of Jakes fiancé. So they sat there awkwardly while Fish did the drawing. He got to her neckline/cleavage and made it even more awkward. Jake has to explain to her dad later that Fish wasn’t his friend. He still dislikes him to this day."

That's funny that you tell a Jake story because you've reminded me of Jake before.
Like Reply
https://maven.io/company/press/maven-s-s...uJe2RIieA/
Like Reply
this board is definitely better without fish, dude's a creeper and a spare
Like Reply
Dallas Basketball was always an awesome place to be. I remember when i first started out on those boards around 07. There used to be really good content; but then the tide changed once there was more coverage about the Cowboys. Granted; the Mavs sucked for a few years and so the coverage went really down, but once the focused changed to Cowboys; it stayed there and the Mavs kind of became an after thought. So in the end; the board was the main reason for that site IMO.

I am just glad this board is popping now. Good things to come. Thanks again Magik.
Like Reply
I don't want to hack too much on fish because I am still thankful for db.com and he certainly played a role in it - but his writing especially and his journalism in general were always subpar and I was wondering how he could survive for so long. Looks like he really shot himself in the foot by letting this community go.
Like Reply
(11-06-2019, 03:42 AM)meistermatze Wrote: I don't want to hack too much on fish because I am still thankful for db.com and he certainly played a role in it - but his writing especially and his journalism in general were always subpar and I was wondering how he could survive for so long. Looks like he really shot himself in the foot by letting this community go.

I agree I don't have anything negative to say about Fish. I tip my hat to him and appreciate the work he has always done, and he brought us all together originally, so for that I have respect and appreciation.

Glad to see you make it meistermatze!
Like Reply
THAT is a great piece. Thanks for posting. Fish is a talented motherfucker.

I just wish he put more effort in the Mavs these days.
Like Reply
(11-06-2019, 03:42 AM)meistermatze Wrote: I don't want to hack too much on fish   - but  

Then don't.  

There is no need to make this an Us vs. Them thing.  Mike made a business decision.  It may work for him it may not.  That is the nature of business decisions.  His board brought us all together and Magic's original purpose in putting this board together was to help Mike not to "hack" on him (sorry to pick on you, as this is really aimed at all of the hacking that has gone on here).

One of my biggest hesitations in posting here is it feels disloyal to Mike, who was always very kind to me.  DL's relationship with Mike is much closer than mine.  People seem to wish DL would start to post on this board.  I can't speak for him, but I suspect the surefire way to keep that from ever happening is to continue to snipe at Mike and his site.  Live and Let Live.

BTW, thanks for putting this in the Troll Cave
Like Reply
(11-06-2019, 08:27 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Then don't.  

There is no need to make this an Us vs. Them thing.  Mike made a business decision.  It may work for him it may not.  That is the nature of business decisions.  His board brought us all together and Magic's original purpose in putting this board together was to help Mike not to "hack" on him (sorry to pick on you, as this is really aimed at all of the hacking that has gone on here).

One of my biggest hesitations in posting here is it feels disloyal to Mike, who was always very kind to me.  DL's relationship with Mike is much closer than mine.  People seem to wish DL would start to post on this board.  I can't speak for him, but I suspect the surefire way to keep that from ever happening is to continue to snipe at Mike and his site.  Live and Let Live.

yes to all of this
Like Reply
(11-06-2019, 08:27 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: There is no need to make this an Us vs. Them thing.  Mike made a business decision.  It may work for him it may not.  That is the nature of business decisions.  His board brought us all together and Magic's original purpose in putting this board together was to help Mike not to "hack" on him (sorry to pick on you, as this is really aimed at all of the hacking that has gone on here).

I completely relate to this. I have never tried to make this an Us vs Them, and I have never insulted nor attacked Fish. I built this FOR him and was on the phone with him a few times as the initial plan was to relinquish this and/or just move it to his servers and boom no problem... but they chose not to have this type of forum... not one that I built nor one that they would build themselves (that I offered to help with) so yeah... it is what it is. No hard feelings whatsoever and I hope he feels the same way too about me, as my intentions were never to create something separate... it just turned out that way.

I pivoted to go into the MavsForum idea when I realized we are completely separate and no one was posting his articles here(which I genuinely tried to have happen to help Fish)

I will say I kind of hate this is in the Troll Cave now as my intentions of this post were to pay my respects to Fish and to announce how we are not meant to be disparaging him nor slinging mud nor anything else but paying our respects.

I get it though... the mood of this board and many of the responses have been less than stellar... and I empathize with the community's frustrations, as I made this board specifically to meet those needs and complaints we all had... I just didn't do it turn on Fish nor to encourage others to.

It is what it is, but Fish if you or DL are lurking, please know you are both welcome to post here and we would love to have you on board. There will always be people who you can't please and those who are upset, but people get over things quickly too... so we would love your contributions and posts here... I still read your articles, and we ALL miss the Cap expertise of DL...
Like Reply
(11-06-2019, 08:23 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: THAT is a great piece. Thanks for posting. Fish is a talented motherfucker.

I just wish he put more effort in the Mavs these days.

Good storyteller but focuses on Cowboys. Good communicator as well.

I also still read his donuts. And sure enough would I love to have him posting here. This is a place for all Mavs fans. It's an oldsql format I like and that's missing from modern social media or blogging platforms. 

The thing with news sadly is that you get them mostly elsewhere as well.

So if you do not put in much effort writing original investigative articles it's a hard selling point. 

His and his staffs interaction with the community were what made this place unique. It was a USP.

It's sad this is separate now but it is what it is. Maybe qabic.sports will be a major Mavs source in future who knows. 

Mavsmoneyball was also a better place with Tim Cato.
Like Reply
That Haley article brings back memories of the Fish that I used to read in the Startle-O-Gram and listen to on KLIF.

Like iolide above, I stumbled upon dallasbasketball.com back in 2007. I was starved for Mavs coverage, having recently moved out of state, and saw somebody talking about Fish's Daily Donuts on Myspace (!)

I started reading his Donuts, and then started reading the forums. Back in the day, the site was as others have said, a 'one stop shop' for all things Mavs related. The articles were good, the forums were rowdy, and it became one of my favorite places to waste time online.

I agree with iolide. When Fish started concentrating more on Cowboys coverage, the Mavs content suffered. Post 2013, between the decrease in the quality of the Mavs content and the decrease in the Mavs success on the court, I didn't spend as much time there, but I still visited a few times a week.

I wish Fish the best, but I think his Mavs content will slowly dwindle away due to the reduced quality, and more importantly, the loss of this community. It was the community that kept me coming back a few times a week, after the quality and quantity of the Mavs coverage declined.

I visited Maven quite a bit at first, but I don't much anymore. It's just not the same as it used to be, and the interface is horrible.
Like Reply
Site is rising the ranks, almost on the first page when looking for a Mavs forum using duckduckgo
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 11:33 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Site is rising the ranks, almost on the first page when looking for a Mavs forum using duckduckgo

Second item on the second page, immediately below LMF, my first forum love
Like Reply
(10-13-2019, 09:25 AM)iolide Wrote: I been around since the Yuku days. I think my first post was like in 07 or something. Pretty crazy; that more than a decade and i know i am not the only one. lol
I once posted a thread about losing my wallet; i don't know if anyone remembers that thread lol.

But yeah, i am glad for this board as well as us as Fans just want somewhere to talk over the games, players, news, etc. I think we have the right people here on board to continue with that. Awesome board MFFLs.

Yea, I've been wondering if you ever found that wallet.
Like Reply
How can we cultivate our own "insiders".

Or at least our own podcast.
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 06:07 PM)vg2011 Wrote: How can we cultivate our own "insiders".

Or at least our own podcast.

To cultivate our own insiders from scratch we probably need for one of us to have some journalism chops, get credentialed, build relationships with players, coaches and front office folk, and then give us content for free.

We probably more eqipped to produce blogger type content. There is a lot of amateurish level stuff out there posing as content so we could probably at least do better than some.
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 09:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote: To cultivate our own insiders from scratch we probably need for one of us to have some journalism chops, get credentialed, build relationships with players, coaches and front office folk, and then give us content for free.
Sounds good. Mavsluvr, you're our targeted insider, what say you? However, it means you have to go to games and behind the scenes interviews with the name mavsluvr, no real names from us!
Like Reply