Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Mike Fisher and Maven/SI
This is my last post about this topic ever because now the reality of the situation is apparent and widely being reported on, but the deadspin expose of what just took place at SI is a total evisceration of the pyramid scheme they're running where the brand is headed and the kind of vampires who will be profiting from it. Didn't think it would only take a few weeks for it to become apparent but here we are and easy to see coming a mile away seeing as how these particular vultures have ruined everything they've touched. Of course it's all a symptom of a bigger problem and I won't elaborate on what that problem is but it rhymes with crapitalism. Oh well RIP sports illustrated journalism and long live the content mill. 

[Image: hIOnrxi.png]
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
Jeez, looks like Fish got taken in by a con job. It happens. That Maven site is a disaster, and now I know why.  I feel bad for him. No one’s perfect, but I’ve always thought he did good work.  Hopefully he can pivot into a more authentic endeavor soon.
Like Reply
(10-05-2019, 07:04 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Jeez, looks like Fish got taken in by a con job. It happens. That Maven site is a disaster, and now I know why.  I feel bad for him. No one’s perfect, but I’ve always thought he did good work.  Hopefully he can pivot into a more authentic endeavor soon.

Had similar thoughts earlier but the way he handled the end of the old site and the move to Maven changed my mind. He made his choice and has to live with it.
Like Reply
I guess Fish just saw a bigger opportunity for him and pulled the trigger. It's how he's always been tbh. Also it's not given that he knew all of the ramifications.

I don't agree that "writing for free" means contributing to killing the industry. Look, times change. The music and film industry had to adopt to online challenges in a similar way. I think most simply haven't found an adequate way of dealing with the new challenges. If nobody wrote for free, would there be more paid writers or just fewer content? Because I think the written word just generates fewer revenue nowadays.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
Damn. Tough stuff. Happy to have this site though . . .
Like Reply
The whole thing sucks, for a lot of ppl, hope Fish isn't too affected.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/1180661632290230272
Like Reply
Fish is instantly a million times better than that and the kind of all SI writers currently.
Like Reply
Oh wow. Just read this thread, didn't realize it had gone so sour with SI already. I chose this site mainly because I didn't like that site's soyphone optimized format. I think I made the right choice
Like Reply
I was a paid member even back before the 24/7 move. Is there a place I can go to stop payments? If I'm going to spend my 10c/day, I'd rather contribute to something giving back value, like this site.
Like Reply
(10-08-2019, 01:57 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Is there a place I can go to stop payments?

Uhm...your Bank?
Like Reply
(10-08-2019, 01:57 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I was a paid member even back before the 24/7 move. Is there a place I can go to stop payments? If I'm going to spend my 10c/day, I'd rather contribute to something giving back value, like this site.

You have to call but I think you also may be able to email someone at 247.

They make it somewhat difficult, but when I called and said I wanted to cancel they didn’t try and sell me like a cable company would. Basically just said “ok” and that was that.
Like Reply
SI went under with they hired Selena ROberts

I too dont owe FIsh anything I was paying at the site before 24/7  and following him on twitter I said something sarcastic and he blocked me on twitter.
Like Reply
(10-08-2019, 04:23 PM)DrMav Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 01:57 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I was a paid member even back before the 24/7 move. Is there a place I can go to stop payments? If I'm going to spend my 10c/day, I'd rather contribute to something giving back value, like this site.

They make it somewhat difficult, but when I called and said I wanted to cancel they didn’t try and sell me like a cable company would. Basically just said “ok” and that was that.

Here's the FAQ:

Quote:[b]How do I cancel my subscription to 247Sports?[/b]
For all questions regarding your subscriptions, renewals of subscriptions, subscription upgrades, subscription cancellations, please call 888-508-3055.
To cancel a subscription per our Terms of Service, call 888-508-3055 in order to verbally confirm your cancellation. We're available Mon-Fri from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST, with the exception of national holidays. While we appreciate your calls, please note our voicemails are not checked. Alternatively, you may write support@247Sports.com at least two business days prior to renewal, specifying the email address and username attached to your membership.

I used the email option and in a day or two got a reply saying it was done.
Like Reply
(10-09-2019, 04:05 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 04:23 PM)DrMav Wrote:

Here's the FAQ:

Quote:[b]How do I cancel my subscription to 247Sports?[/b]
For all questions regarding your subscriptions, renewals of subscriptions, subscription upgrades, subscription cancellations, please call 888-508-3055.
To cancel a subscription per our Terms of Service, call 888-508-3055 in order to verbally confirm your cancellation. We're available Mon-Fri from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST, with the exception of national holidays. While we appreciate your calls, please note our voicemails are not checked. Alternatively, you may write support@247Sports.com at least two business days prior to renewal, specifying the email address and username attached to your membership.

I used the email option and in a day or two got a reply saying it was done.
I cancelled by email as well since they would never answer the phone.  Took one day for a response.
Like Reply
Reply when Bama asked for a link to here be posted on SI...they are the ones who don't want to be linked together with us even though we were going to post links to Fish's articles and post his tweets...

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Matt Galatzan
Editor
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.38)]10 hrs[/color]
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Well, congrats and enjoy it. We arent posting a link.[/color]
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-09-2019, 08:23 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Reply when Bama asked for a link to here be posted on SI...they are the ones who don't want to be linked together with us even though we were going to post links to Fish's articles and post his tweets...

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Matt Galatzan
Editor
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.38)]10 hrs[/color]
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Well, congrats and enjoy it. We arent posting a link.[/color]

To be fair, I don't think Maven wants them posting links to other sites...especially when the link leads to a more user friendly message board!!!
Like Reply
Just sent email to cancel. We'll see how it goes.

Had a gym membership once and had to send a registered letter (!) to the HQ in St. Louis to cancel the membership. No phone number, couldn't do it at the local gym.
Like Reply
The Maven features suck and they refuse to post better alternatives? That's how you know they care about business more than the Mavs community...
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(10-09-2019, 08:36 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 08:23 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Reply when Bama asked for a link to here be posted on SI...they are the ones who don't want to be linked together with us even though we were going to post links to Fish's articles and post his tweets...

Matt Galatzan
Editor
10 hrs

Well, congrats and enjoy it. We arent posting a link.

To be fair, I don't think Maven wants them posting links to other sites...especially when the link leads to a more user friendly message board!!!

Its also just apples and oranges when you compare this sort of community centered message forum with pure content driven business enterprises like SI and Maven. 

The bottom line of businesses is profit and providing services to the community may be part of it, I think it is with Maven, but that has to fit within the model and scope of the business bottom line. 
Driving their traffic to other sites is a very different thing than it is for a pure community board. 

Great community forums like this can also generate profit but profit is not the first focus.
Like Reply