Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
IT'S HARDY TIME: Jaden Hardy looking like a decent prospect
Star 
He looks much better on the court when he has actual NBA players around him
Like Reply
Beal 2.0
Like Reply
He is going to need time, but I love the gamble.    He will need to learn to play different.   He played a lot of hero ball for most of his life.   He could because he was always the best player on the court.    If he wants to get playing time in the NBA, he will need to adjust.   

Having him have some failure isn't a bad thing either.  Always good to see a highly rated player have some adversity.  Sometimes it makes them stronger.   

He already looks pretty comfortable on the court with NBA players.    I don't think we see him much this year, but hopefully a lot of coaching and time is spent with him over the next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(10-01-2022, 03:24 PM)MFFL Wrote: He looks much better on the court when he has actual NBA players around him

A hopeful comp for me is Poole.  He was terrible his first year in the league, but by year 3 he was major contributor to champion team.  I don't think Hardy will get as many minutes in his rookie season, so it will probably take a little longer to get there, but it seems like there is potential.
Like Reply
I sincerely hope both Hardy and Green show us something this year, but it's so early that it's kind of crazy that some here are already getting their hopes up. Need I remind you all of the great John Jenkins and his preseason for the ages that had so many convinced he'd be a valuable player, well we aren't even at preseason yet. Let's pump the brakes.
Like Reply
(10-03-2022, 05:46 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: I sincerely hope both Hardy and Green show us something this year, but it's so early that it's kind of crazy that some here are already getting their hopes up. Need I remind you all of the great John Jenkins and his preseason for the ages that had so many convinced he'd be a valuable player, well we aren't even at preseason yet. Let's pump the brakes.

This is literally the time that you SHOULD get your hopes up. Everyone should be excited and everyone should have hope. The time to be a negative nancy is later
[-] The following 4 users Like MFFL's post:
  • HIMAV, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, Reunion Mav, Tyler
Like Reply
He can hit an open shot. That alone may earn him some minutes, especially next to Luka
Like Reply
I have noticed Jaden really seems comfortable on the court and on the bench.   He seems pretty talkative on the bench with the veterans.  That sort of tells me they think he belongs.   The Mavs appear to be a group of good guys, so they probably wouldn't shun a teammate.   But we have had a couple of rookies who felt like they really didn't belong.    Jaden seems to think he belongs.
Like Reply
2-10 with 5 fouls in just 19 minutes against preseason competition tells me he’s far from being a guy who can play right now. That’s about as atrocious a game as you can have. He was like that in Summer League.   A good game followed by several where he didn’t even look like he belonged in the GLeague. He’s going to need to be exponentially better to earn minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(10-09-2022, 09:38 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: 2-10 with 5 fouls in just 19 minutes against preseason competition tells me he’s far from being a guy who can play right now. That’s about as atrocious a game as you can have. He was like that in Summer League.   A good game followed by several where he didn’t even look like he belonged in the GLeague. He’s going to need to be exponentially better to earn minutes.

You're not wrong.  Sad
Like Reply
(10-09-2022, 09:38 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: 2-10 with 5 fouls in just 19 minutes against preseason competition tells me he’s far from being a guy who can play right now. That’s about as atrocious a game as you can have. He was like that in Summer League.   A good game followed by several where he didn’t even look like he belonged in the GLeague. He’s going to need to be exponentially better to earn minutes.

I see glimpses of hope, but not enough to declare he has ‘it’.  At this point seeing glimpses is better than not, so that makes me happy…especially concerning a second rounder.  I’d personally rather he not be so ‘aggressive’ in taking shots (as many seem to laud).  I’d rather he take smart shots and make a higher percentage of them.

Hardy kind of reminds me of the arguments that used to surround Monta Ellis.  We often heard “Oh, you have to have “scorers”…people who can get off their own shot”.  The other side would say “not if they are bad shots with terrible efficiency”.  I’ve never been one who believes inefficient shooting is a good idea.  I imagine a professional team will find a way to get off shots with or without Monta/Hardy.  It is too early to tell if Hardy will be inefficient or not.  I think that will be the main difference between him having a career or not.  I’d rather, at this point, he have 2-3 things he does really well than 16 things he’s willing to try.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(10-09-2022, 02:06 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I see glimpses of hope, but not enough to declare he has ‘it’.  At this point seeing glimpses is better than not, so that makes me happy…especially concerning a second rounder.  I’d personally rather he not be so ‘aggressive’ in taking shots (as many seem to laud).  I’d rather he take smart shots and make a higher percentage of them.

Hardy kind of reminds me of the arguments that used to surround Monta Ellis.  We often heard “Oh, you have to have “scorers”…people who can get off their own shot”.  The other side would say “not if they are bad shots with terrible efficiency”.  I’ve never been one who believes inefficient shooting is a good idea.  I imagine a professional team will find a way to get off shots with or without Monta/Hardy.  It is too early to tell if Hardy will be inefficient or not.  I think that will be the main difference between him having a career or not.  I’d rather, at this point, he have 2-3 things he does really well than 16 things he’s willing to try.

It's all about the players willingness to both be a gym rat with a great work ethic and also be a true sponge actually absorbing and implementing coaching. He "seems" like the humble type who will take on coaching, but the jury is still out. He also has a skillset IMO to be more than just a volume inefficient scorer, I think he actually has an advanced handle, he just needs to learn not to dribble so high and upright, which is very fixable. He also has very good shooting mechanics.
Like Reply
I love Hardy's confidence. Dude doesn't look out of place on an NBA court which is saying something given how he looked in summer league. 

I think the main challenge with Hardy is reigning in what I like to call his Melo Instincts. Dude loves to score. He wants to score. He will shoot it no matter what. Honing his shot selection and getting him to be more aware of the tempo in game will transform him. 

Right now I feel like he wants to be like a Lou Will/Jordan Clarkson and I hope he can be closer to a Jason Terry/Manu. Lofty expectations I know but I really want him to be able to distribute effectively AND look for his shot when the time is right. 

Overall I was a big Hardy guy pre-draft, and I still think the talent is there for him to be a rotation piece not too far off.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-10-2022, 09:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Right now I feel like he wants to be like a Lou Will/Jordan Clarkson and I hope he can be closer to a Jason Terry/Manu. Lofty expectations I know but I really want him to be able to distribute effectively AND look for his shot when the time is right. 

I mostly agree with your sentiment but it's hard to judge his playmaking.  He got some run with the starters, but when you are playing with Luka, that's the dude that will be doing the playmaking.  He then can some run with the end of the bench guys and no one could buy a bucket.  It was sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  He did have that nice dime to Green.  I don't think he's a great passer or anything but just food for thought.
Like Reply
I would really like Hardy to be playing every day in the G-league. Maybe bump him up to the NBA every couple of weeks or so for a little burn and to work with the coaches. 

But I want him to play every day and I don't think he's ready for the NBA yet. But I do think he's a decent prospect.
Like Reply
I thought this was interesting

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/maveri...den-hardy/
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
If THIS Jaden Hardy had been in the draft, he might have went top 10.

He looks completely comfortable out there.
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFalhdAwdU
Like Reply
(11-06-2022, 08:28 AM)MFFL Wrote: If THIS Jaden Hardy had been in the draft, he might have went top 10.

He looks completely comfortable out there.

One thing I have come to expect from Hardy so far in his professional career is to see loads of potential and maddening inconsistency.  I am not going to get pulled offsides anymore by him when he has a good night.  I will clap and patiently wait until he strings even a few good performances together before I get excited.  I am still hopeful, just patiently such.  The kid needs time to hone his craft and develop into a consistent player.  Talent without consistency can't play.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavsfan12's post:
  • F Gump, MFFL
Like Reply
(11-06-2022, 10:57 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: One thing I have come to expect from Hardy so far in his professional career is to see loads of potential and maddening inconsistency.  I am not going to get pulled offsides anymore by him when he has a good night.  I will clap and patiently wait until he strings even a few good performances together before I get excited.  I am still hopeful, just patiently such.  The kid needs time to hone his craft and develop into a consistent player.  Talent without consistency can't play.

I think that is smart.   I am sure there will be bumps in the road....and he may not even be here in two years.  But I would advise to not be quick to judge either way with young prospects.   Sometimes you know.   Although most times, it is up and down until it clicks/or doesn't.    I hope next year the Mavs bring in another interesting young prospect.

As far as the game, I watched a good deal of the second half.  McKinley Wright was pretty solid too.   I really didn't notice Dorsey much.   They had a lead against the Spurs but then the Spurs started playing Bassey.  He was either G-League HOF Moses Wright or prime Wilt Chamberlain in the fourth quarter.   He pretty much dominated and I don't think he played until late in the third quarter.
Like Reply