Poll: How do you grade this contract?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
50.00%
17 50.00%
B
41.18%
14 41.18%
C
5.88%
2 5.88%
D
0%
0 0%
F
2.94%
1 2.94%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
EXTENSION: Maxi Kleber to DAL for 3 yrs/$33M (thru 2025-26, age 34)
Exclamation 
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...0745741320

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...8467699714
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...8423643138
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...6647500812
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1567882270907797505
Like Reply
The number is a little higher than I expected, but I am totally happy with this.  His versatility being able to protect the rim and the perimeter while also being able to space the floor is huge.  I can't wait to see the Wood/Maxi pairing.
Like Reply
@"DanSchwartzgan" when is he trade-able?
Like Reply
(09-08-2022, 09:27 AM)mvossman Wrote: The number is a little higher than I expected, but I am totally happy with this.  

They thought he was Powell.
Like Reply
(09-08-2022, 09:28 AM)Kammrath Wrote: @"DanSchwartzgan" when is he trade-able?

Not this season.  They extended him to keep him:

Mavericks, Maxi Kleber Finalizing Three-Year Extension
September 8th 2022 at 9:04am CST by Luke Adams 

The Mavericks are finalizing a three-year extension with forward Maxi Kleber, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic, who reports  that Kleber’s new contract will be worth $33MM.

to earn $9MM in 2022/23, the final season of the four-year, $34MM deal he signed with Dallas during the 2019 free agent period. His new agreement with the team, which will bump his average annual salary to $11MM, will extend his contract through the 2025/26 season.

An undrafted free agent from Germany, Kleber has spent the last five seasons with the Mavericks. He has appeared in 326 regular season games during that time, starting 136 of them and averaging 7.1 PPG and 4.8 RPG on .446/.359/.796 shooting in 22.7 minutes per contest.

Kleber, 30, saw his shooting percentages drop off noticeably in 2021/22, as he made just 39.8% of his shots from the floor, including 32.5% of his threes. However, Dallas’ new financial commitment to him suggests the team is confident he’ll bounce back in ’22/23.
With Spencer Dinwiddie’s and Reggie Bullock’s salaries for 2023/24 not yet fully guaranteed, there might have been a path for the Mavs to create some cap flexibility next summer. However, their deal with Kleber signals they’re fully preparing to operate over the cap again, even with Christian Wood and Dwight Powell still on expiring deals.

Kleber will become one of three Dallas players under contract through at least ’25/26, joining Luka Doncic and Dorian Finney-Smith, who holds a player option for that year.

Because Kleber’s extension will exceed the NBA’s extend-and-trade limits, he’ll be ineligible to be dealt for six months after his signing date. Even if the two sides finalize the agreement shortly, that six-month window will extend into March, well past the 2023 trade deadline, so Dallas won’t be able to move him until next offseason.

Kleber is set to become the 10th player to sign a veteran contract extension so far this offseason, as our tracker shows.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
"the most versatile/interesting role-playing center in the league" Whatever.  Feels good to hear some good news!
Like Reply
(09-08-2022, 09:43 AM)BoredAssistant Wrote: "the most versatile/interesting role-playing center in the league" Whatever.  Feels good to hear some good news!
He’s so versatile one month he’ll shoot lights out the next he won’t hit a single 3. Hopefully the playoffs land on the first part of that picture next year! 

BTW, I love Maxi.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • BoredAssistant, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
On top of DS’s reply, he’s also not tradable cause his playoff performance doesn’t erase the 32% regular season 3%. I really don’t like this extension. Love the player, not the contract.
Like Reply
(09-08-2022, 09:36 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Not this season.  They extended him to keep him:

Mavericks, Maxi Kleber Finalizing Three-Year Extension
September 8th 2022 at 9:04am CST by Luke Adams 

Because Kleber’s extension will exceed the NBA’s extend-and-trade limits, he’ll be ineligible to be dealt for six months after his signing date. Even if the two sides finalize the agreement shortly, that six-month window will extend into March, well past the 2023 trade deadline, so Dallas won’t be able to move him until next offseason.

If anyone is interested, the language from FAQ #95 on Extend and Trades is below.  Seems to me this is setting up for THJ and expiring Powell to be outgoing at some point.  I think between the shooting of Bertans and the wing play of Green, Frank and Dorsey, Hardaway is replaceable.  The trick is finding the team that needs his services for the next three years:

95. Can a player be given an extension and traded at the same time?

Similar to a sign-and-trade arrangement (see question number 92), a team may sign an eligible player to an extension (see question number 58) and immediately trade him to another team. Such an "extend-and-trade" is limited to three seasons, which include any seasons remaining on the player's current contract1. The salary in the first season of the extension can have a 5% raise over the last season of the existing contract, and subsequent raises are limited to 5% of the salary in the first season of the extension. The5% limit also applies to both likely and unlikely bonuses.                                                                       
A player cannot be traded in an extend-and-trade after the season (for example, on draft day) in the last season of his contract, or in any season that might be the last season due to an option or ETO.
Since an extend-and-trade has greater limits than a regular extension (three seasons2 and 5% raises vs. four seasons2 and 8% raises) the rules restrict teams from extending and trading the player in separate transactions in order to circumvent these limits. If a team extends a player beyond the limits of an extend-and-trade (for example, if they sign a player to a four-year extension), they can't trade the player for six months. Conversely, a team cannot extend a player it receives in trade for six months, if the extension exceedsthe limits of an extend-and-trade3.                                                                                                
Extend-and-trade transactions are rare. To date they have only been used for Kevin Garnett (traded from Minnesota to Boston in 2007) and Carmelo Anthony (traded from Denver to New York in 2011).
A rookie scale contract (see question number 47can be extended and traded in an extend-and-trade transaction, although there is no benefit to doing so. A rookie scale extension can be signed immediately after the player is traded (such as with James Harden's trade to the Rockets in 2012), and a rookie scale extension (see question number 58) can be much larger than the extension allowed through an extend-and-trade.
Like Reply
This seems very fair for what Maxi brings. Would be incredibly expensive to replace what he brings. This news really drove home to me how old this roster is getting. Maxi, Reggie, DFS, McGee, Timmy and Spencer all 29 or older. Luka, Josh Green, Frankie, Hardy and maybe Dorsey are our “youth” between 20-26, if you stretch that definition to include Wood as a young vet. JB is also 26 btw. This is such a win now team. They are really going to have to thread the needle to contend now and also start to replace the supporting cast, some of whom will age out in a few years. The key to this whole thing is going to be 1)Wood working out wonderfully and we sign him to a fair extension and 2) Josh Green continuing to improve, and we sign him to an extension to be the new Bullock. Anything Hardy or Dorsey gives us, to me, is gravy. Remaining assets and picks go to finding our poor man’s Paul George, whether that be Siakam, OG, Wiggins etc. They have to be versatile defensively, can space the floor and create some. Jaylen Brown would be ideal but I think he’s getting traded for a top shelf star like Durant so that Boston can continue to contend in the present.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Very surprised at the number of people here who think Maxi isn't an MLE worthy player.

(09-08-2022, 09:51 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: On top of DS’s reply, he’s also not tradable cause his playoff performance doesn’t erase the 32% regular season 3%. I really don’t like this extension. Love the player, not the contract.

You don't think contenders are knocking on our door if we made Maxi available?
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Versatility on defense and 3-point range are probably the most desirable role players skills in the modern NBA.
As of now I have him as the most important big on the roster. Even with the addition of Wood (and McGee).
I hope that the Mavs can limit his workload in the regular season but come playoff time I expect him to play starter minutes.

MLE range seems fair. Only downside is the length of the contract. Already 30+ with nagging injury issues in the last two seasons.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • audiosway, DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Gave it a B.  I was hoping closer to his current contract number but that's close enough and I don't mind the years.  He's certainly worth the contract with the only red flag being his health.  Easily a trade piece.  Maye I should have given this an A.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply

[Image: get-out-leave.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • audiosway, IamDougieFresh, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
MLE extension for a better than MLE player? A definitive end to plan powder? 

This is good news.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(09-08-2022, 11:14 AM)cow Wrote: Gave it a B.  I was hoping closer to his current contract number but that's close enough and I don't mind the years.  He's certainly worth the contract with the only red flag being his health.  Easily a trade piece.  Maye I should have given this an A.

Good thing your guy GK took such a huge discount to stay.
Like Reply
Good deal...I think that is in his salary range.   I think we overvalue Maxi the player.  But he is more valuable here than what he could bring back via trade.  When he is healthy and locked in, he is a very valuable player.  Although due to his limitations, when he shot is off and not 100% he can be seen as a negative on the court.   

I think it is important to monitor his minutes.  I think we should be better suited to do that this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply