Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
I think Maxi would be almost perfectly valued at 10.8 MLE. If anything he’s worth slightly more, to me. He possesses a pretty rare skill set.
Like Reply
(08-23-2022, 03:42 PM)mvossman Wrote: I see the big rotation playing out a little differently than you.  I think when McGee is out there, he will be playing drop coverage and anchor.  There is less reason to have Maxi or Wood out there with McGee defensively, and the McGee/Wood combo is not a great fit offensively.  I see our frontcourt being McGee/Dorian roughly 15-20 minutes a game.  I think Wood and Maxi are a great paring in the front court.  They both can play a switching defense and week side block, Maxi can take on the defensive anchor role while Wood can help make up for Maxi limited rebounding.  On offense Maxi wont be clogging the paint allowing Wood to display his full arsenal.  I'm not saying Wood can't play the Powell role defensively for 5 or 10 minutes a game, but I think every minute he plays with Maxi will be better defensively.

MLE money can't always get us Bullock.  It also got us Powell.  It also got us WCS, Brown and Burke a couple years ago.  I don't think you can count on getting a Bullock every year with the MLE.  I also think Maxi provides particular fit value on this team.  Its not like we are all that off anyways.  You have him at 7, I have him at his current 9, others have him at 11.  That is probably the range of what he will get.

I could be wrong, but I interpreted that post as sarcasm.
I think a lot of this big rotation is so up in the air based on Wood’s play that there is no telling for sure what will happen. My thoughts lean towards we are gonna be surprised how well Wood fits offensively and defensively and I think we’ll see that fit quite soon and that he will force himself into the starting lineup fairly quickly. I’m not, however, so locked into my own thoughts and hopes as to disregard the possibilities going the other way, or even just another way. 

One thing I will say, good players have played with bigs that operate in the low post all the time and find ways to get to the basket. It’s just weird to me to see the idea that Wood playing with McGee isn’t going to happen due to this clashing. That and Wood’s game with the few minutes a game that he might play with McGee (I don’t see McGee getting much more than 15 pg so with him starting with DFS, there’s not a lot of time left to play with anyone else, but you better believe Kidd will at least try out the pairing at some point) can be as a spacer and opportunist.
Like Reply
Pretty surprised no post about this yet.

https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/utah-jazz...-schroder/

Beggars can't be choosers.
Like Reply
Would rather have Dragic.  I hope Utah gets him.
Like Reply
(08-23-2022, 06:28 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Would rather have Dragic.  I hope Utah gets him.

I will be shocked if this rumor turns out to be true. Seems more like an agent-driven rumor designed to get some other team to finally make an offer to me. With Dirk as involved with the team as he has been recently, I'd say Dallas is the least likely destination for Schroeder. 

If there's any truth to it, however, I think it's good that they're still searching for offensive creation.
[-] The following 6 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • AgGiE1991, DallasMaverick, F Gump, ItsGoTime, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1...9009924096
Like Reply
I am thankful for the T-pups. Whenever I have a problem with something the Mavs front office does, I can just remind myself that these MFs traded 3 decent players, 4 1sts, a 1st swap, and the dude they just picked in the first round to go TWIN FUCKING TOWERS IN 2022. LMFAOOOOO
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(08-24-2022, 01:46 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I am thankful for the T-pups. Whenever I have a problem with something the Mavs front office does, I can just remind myself that these MFs traded 3 decent players, 4 1sts, a 1st swap, and the dude they just picked in the first round to go TWIN FUCKING TOWERS IN 2022. LMFAOOOOO

True. Remember when they went 34-48. Damn that idea blew up in their face.

How do you know it won´t work? Like Markkanen/Allen/Mobley could not work?

If this does not work, it will not be because of their chosen set-up. Rather the fact that KAT is nowhere near as good and impactful as people think. If he was truly Dirk, as some of the press hyped him up to be, simply based on his similar regular season shooting percentages, they´d be the title favourites. The upcoming season will be HUGE for him personally after getting his nose bloodied in his first play-off appearances.

He´s 26 years old now. Lots of personal baggage through the COVID era. This season he´ll have to put it all behind him and ball in the play-offs. Ultimately I think it will be Edwards´ team, but for them to win KAT needs to prove he´s more Dirk than Porzingis.
Like Reply
Am I the only one who wonders if we'll see the Mavs make a move today? Wood can be included in a trade with other players today. I know that most of our thoughts have been in terms of his being on roster this year, but some have previously mentioned that he might just be used as a more valuable trade chip than our four end-of-the-roster guys were.
Like Reply
(08-24-2022, 03:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one who wonders if we'll see the Mavs make a move today? Wood can be included in a trade with other players today. I know that most of our thoughts have been in terms of his being on roster this year, but some have previously mentioned that he might just be used as a more valuable trade chip than our four end-of-the-roster guys were.

I wouldn’t expect a Mavs move until we’re getting close to the trade deadline and someone values our expiring junk or Josh Green looks like an NBA player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(08-24-2022, 03:21 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: KAT

If the twin tower thing doesn't work, I think he will be the one moved. I expect twin towers will work well enough (or even very well) in the regular season, but will be exposed in the playoffs.

(08-24-2022, 03:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one who wonders if we'll see the Mavs make a move today? Wood can be included in a trade with other players today. I know that most of our thoughts have been in terms of his being on roster this year, but some have previously mentioned that he might just be used as a more valuable trade chip than our four end-of-the-roster guys were.

Woods market value at this moment is a bunch of junk and a very late FRP. I doubt he can be a real factor in any trade.
Like Reply
(08-24-2022, 03:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one who wonders if we'll see the Mavs make a move today? Wood can be included in a trade with other players today. 

I know that Wood's "eligible to be traded in aggregation" date was mentioned pointedly by Skin in early July as if, and then picked up by some here as gospel and something we should expect (see the thread title about the Mavs gearing up for a big trade for a wing, that still exists to trumpet that as a real idea).

At the time, I thought it was one of the more inane mentions I had heard about what the Mavs plans were.

To your question, I still feel the same now as I did then. IMO All they are saying and doing shouts loudly that they have no plans, other than to go with a 13-man-plus-a-cheerleader short staff, and save some money. (Being sold as "flexibility" for the mythical trade that is not anywhere in sight.) And this is an old Mavs ploy, to drop hints that they aren't done when they are, when the summer has sucked, and try to keep the fanbase intrigued over "what's next."
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
Just curious, if the Mavs where to fill the 15th spot with a vet min player - how much added tax are we talking about?
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(08-24-2022, 05:26 PM)F Gump Wrote: I know that Wood's "eligible to be traded in aggregation" date was mentioned pointedly by Skin in early July as if, and then picked up by some here as gospel and something we should expect (see the thread title about the Mavs gearing up for a big trade for a wing, that still exists to trumpet that as a real idea).

At the time, I thought it was one of the more inane mentions I had heard about what the Mavs plans were.

Bringing the heat. I like it.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • F Gump, sterlingmallory
Like Reply

It seems to me that nothing has changed about Christian Wood's value since the Mavs made the trade. They bought kinda low, and are hoping he turns into something better than that.  But he'll have to play some games before the market thinks he's a high-value contributor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(08-24-2022, 06:19 PM)chaparral Wrote: Just curious, if the Mavs where to fill the 15th spot with a vet min player - how much added tax are we talking about?

About $5.7M.

Food for Thought -- Why would they only be willing to offer Brunson dollars that weren't competitive (and presumably would be rejected)? If you think this is a big difference, think of how much was "saved" there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • sterlingmallory
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1562641949806325760
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status...8326002695
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/...5750177792
Like Reply
(08-24-2022, 03:21 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: True. Remember when they went 34-48. Damn that idea blew up in their face.

How do you know it won´t work? Like Markkanen/Allen/Mobley could not work?

If this does not work, it will not be because of their chosen set-up. Rather the fact that KAT is nowhere near as good and impactful as people think. If he was truly Dirk, as some of the press hyped him up to be, simply based on his similar regular season shooting percentages, they´d be the title favourites. The upcoming season will be HUGE for him personally after getting his nose bloodied in his first play-off appearances.

He´s 26 years old now. Lots of personal baggage through the COVID era. This season he´ll have to put it all behind him and ball in the play-offs. Ultimately I think it will be Edwards´ team, but for them to win KAT needs to prove he´s more Dirk than Porzingis.

Porzingis?  That's a insult.   KAT is light years better than KP right now.  Does he need more maturity to keep from commiting stupid fouls that land him on the bench?  Sure. Not to mention the personal tragedies he went through losing his Mother and Aunt to covid last year.  But he doesn't have nearly the same weaknesses in his game that KP has.
Like Reply