FA: Tyler Dorsey to DAL on two-way deal
Exclamation 
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5110938624
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status...3014714368
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/status/...4623169536
Like Reply
Happy this is a two-way and not a normal roster spot with a guaranteed contract, I guess.
Like Reply
It’ll be just like the Mavs to sign him to a two-way, he plays himself into the rotation and into a contract and he gets that contract somewhere else. Glad he isn’t getting the 15th spot though.
Like Reply
With every day, Mavs offseason looks more and confusing and completly non logical.

1. Goran comments about Mavs offer (he will play every 5 game) - Would be understandable if JB resigned here (let's say that they present him offer before JB official told them). Cuban: We knew we didn't have a chance at resigning JB.  

Tottaly opposite.

2. McGee will start, Wood from the bench. Starting 34 old (whole career backup), while you potentially traded for potentially borderline all star caliber player? 

I hope this not backfires us when we will try to resign Wood. I also think that McGee starting it's not going to last long and that Wood will quickly become starting player. The thing tha concerns me is that, we will again need few months to figure things out.

3. Signing Dorsey while you have a need for backup pg. Yes it is on a 2-way deal, but i still don't understand that he is leaving millions offered him in europe (which is more than a vet min in Nba), to accept 2 way deal & be g-league player & a cheerleader from the bench at the best.

I really hope that they have another player in option (maybe waiting for trades, buyout candidates), because this is completly confusing.
[-] The following 2 users Like MAVS-SLO's post:
  • BigDirk41, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
Over/under of Dorsey playing 8 G League games?   Here are the rules.  He can play up to 50 games but would be ineligible for playoffs.  Maybe they tell him he will be with the main team and something will get settled out in all likelihood sometime during the season and if he proves himself he will get a slot.

The NBA has carried over some rule changes for two-way deals that were first introduced during the 2020/21 season. Rather than being limited to 45 days with their NBA teams, two-way players are eligible to be active for up to 50 of their team’s 82 regular season games. And instead of having their salaries determined by how many days they spend in the NBA, they’ll receive flat salaries of $508,891, half of the rookie minimum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eko-SXK8vpI
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-24-2022, 09:39 AM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: 3. Signing Dorsey while you have a need for backup pg. Yes it is on a 2-way deal, but i still don't understand that he is leaving millions offered him in europe (which is more than a vet min in Nba), to accept 2 way deal & be g-league player & a cheerleader from the bench at the best.

I agree the offseason has been very confusing, but the Dorsey part of it at least makes total sense IMO. 3&D wings are gold in today's NBA so from the Mavs perspective, they need to be signing and developing as many of them as they can. 2 way contracts are a great way to do that. I wanted AJ Lawson but the Mavs seem to think Dorsey is a just as good or better prospect.

Dorsey's motivation makes perfect sense as well. I've seen several people confused about why he would turn down contracts in Europe to sign a 2 way here and I don't understand why. It seems pretty obvious to me: he wants to play in the NBA again. This is his shot to get back in and prove he belongs. He obviously doesn't think he'll "be g-league player & a cheerleader from the bench at the best". He is betting on himself that he will outplay the 2 way contract and earn himself a good payday in the NBA. It's pretty simple IMO.
Like Reply
Wasn’t this initially reported back on July 7th by Stein?

This makes sense when rationalizing why the Mavs didn’t make an offer to Lawson after his summer league performance. That’s the only offseason implication it has.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1551235902831296516
Like Reply
[Image: FYcY1OUXgAcnG3Z?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
So does that leave Moses Wright as the second two way?  Or do we leave it open to competition at camp?  How about a blast from the past?  Why not bring back Tyrell Terry?
Like Reply
(07-24-2022, 11:14 AM)sterlingmallory Wrote: I agree the offseason has been very confusing, but the Dorsey part of it at least makes total sense IMO. 3&D wings are gold in today's NBA so from the Mavs perspective, they need to be signing and developing as many of them as they can. 2 way contracts are a great way to do that. I wanted AJ Lawson but the Mavs seem to think Dorsey is a just as good or better prospect.

Dorsey's motivation makes perfect sense as well. I've seen several people confused about why he would turn down contracts in Europe to sign a 2 way here and I don't understand why. It seems pretty obvious to me: he wants to play in the NBA again. This is his shot to get back in and prove he belongs. He obviously doesn't think he'll "be g-league player & a cheerleader from the bench at the best". He is betting on himself that he will outplay the 2 way contract and earn himself a good payday in the NBA. It's pretty simple IMO.

I think is more of a scorer than a 3&D wing. Also people were expecting at least some at least notable name, not 4-5 best player in Olympiacos last season.

I agree with Dorsey motivation, i'm only more sceptical about quality than motivation.

If he isn't g-league player or cheerleader that also mean that we aren't getting any player as a backup pg.

That's what concerns me more. And then we already passed on a way better players than Dorsey imo.
Like Reply
(07-24-2022, 01:42 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: I think is more of a scorer than a 3&D wing. Also people were expecting at least some at least notable name, not 4-5 best player in Olympiacos last season.

I agree with Dorsey motivation, i'm only more sceptical about quality than motivation.

If he isn't g-league player or cheerleader that also mean that we aren't getting any player as a backup pg.

That's what concerns me more. And then we already passed on a way better players than Dorsey imo.

I don't see him as having any relevance to the 3rd PG/roster finishing question, but given how terrible the offseason has been, I can understand that fatalism from others.
Like Reply
Tyler looks like someone who could learn the Spencer role (3 level scoring and some distributing, while not being a hole on defense) and sort of replace him for some regular season games if the need arises (injury or rest required). 

There's always the optimistic possibility that he excels in this role and we find a solid role player for our team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Halfnir's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 06:25 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Tyler looks like someone who could learn the Spencer role (3 level scoring and some distributing, while not being a hole on defense) and sort of replace him for some regular season games if the need arises (injury or rest required). 

That's exactly what I thought.
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 06:25 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Tyler looks like someone who could learn the Spencer role (3 level scoring and some distributing, while not being a hole on defense) and sort of replace him for some regular season games if the need arises (injury or rest required). 

There's always the optimistic possibility that he excels in this role and we find a solid role player for our team.

I admit I don't know much about Dorsey's game, but can he really handle the ball and be a playmaker anywhere close to Dinwiddie's level? I assumed he's a 3 and D guy but the comments about him are interesting.
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 01:24 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: I admit I don't know much about Dorsey's game, but can he really handle the ball and be a playmaker anywhere close to Dinwiddie's level? I assumed he's a 3 and D guy but the comments about him are interesting.

Grain of salt because I'm basing on that highlight video but he does have a nice stroke.  He doesn't look like the quickest or most explosive athlete though.  I'm not sure I'd expect him to be as adept at getting to the rim as Din.  

I do like his experience though and I doubt he'll feel lost if he gets playing time.
Like Reply
(07-25-2022, 02:00 PM)cow Wrote: Grain of salt because I'm basing on that highlight video but he does have a nice stroke.  He doesn't look like the quickest or most explosive athlete though.  I'm not sure I'd expect him to be as adept at getting to the rim as Din.  

I do like his experience though and I doubt he'll feel lost if he gets playing time.

I agree..  He doesn't look 6'5 to me.   In college he was a shooter.  I don't believe he was a very good creator.   I don't think he is this good but I think he is a Seth Curry type of player...just not as good.   

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyler-dorsey/

That turned out to be a pretty good Oregon team (Peyton Pritchard, Jordan Bell, Dorsey and Dillon Brooks.

The one thing I liked from his highlight videos is he appears to be a guy who will not back down and will fight.  For a guy of his level, he will need that.   He has a role teams try to upgrade all the time.

I also wonder if he has a relationship with Nico.   Being at Oregon, he probably had exposure with Nike out there.
Like Reply