Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green
Star 
With all of the buzz around Dinwiddie and how the Mavs are playing some of the best basketball in years, Josh Green's brilliance is quietly getting lost in the shuffle.

Since the all-star break Green is averaging 6ppg/3.4rpg/1apg/1stl/ in 20mpg. But the best part? He's shooting 51% from the field and 43.8% from 3!

Now the volume isn't there compared to a regular rotation player, but before this stretch, Josh took an average of 3.5 shots per game and 0.9 shots from three. Now he's basically doubled that shooting 5 shots a game and taking 1.8 attempts from 3.

In the grand scheme of things this is a small jump for any NBA player, but for the often timid-on-offense Josh Green there has been a marked improvement. He's been finding ways to get in transition and hasn't been afraid to shoot a 3 like before.

Just wanted to make a proper thread because I'm excited for him. I hope he continues to blossom.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 7 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Kammrath, KillerLeft, Mavsfan12, MFFL, Smitty, WildArkieBoy
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 11:20 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: 43.8% from 3

7 for 16....just to give context of sample size.
Like Reply
I was really wrong on him, didn't think he was and would become an NBA player - he is one for sure. His rebounding, for instance the one in last game he took over Drummond himself, was huge, and he does it every game, so its no coincidence, its just the instinct he has and its a special instinct. His 3 point shooting is improving. He is far from a natural shooter and his shooting is more limited to open 3s. But there is improvement.

Still think Mavs did a massive mistake not taking Bane or Bey. But emergence of Green has improved the team, and also the effort we are playing with. We badly needed some contribution from this pick and Green is showing up. His great effort and energy also has a positive effect on the team IMO, although this cant be measured in numbers, but I do think his energy translates to other players as well.
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 11:22 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 7 for 16....just to give context of sample size.

To give even further context, Green was 11 for 39 from three pre-all star break. He's made almost half of his total threes all year since coming back from the ASB!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
He only has to get to “ok” shooting to have a huge positive impact. The rest of his game is that good. 

He’s also on track (early yet, but on track) to be a constant improver like Dorian and Jalen.
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 11:20 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Just wanted to make a proper thread because I'm excited for him. I hope he continues to blossom.

I'm not sure I agree that this is a "subtle" development. I live in constant awe of the progress he's making. But, I definitely agree that we're not discussing it enough and will enjoy the thread.
Like Reply
He is improving and Kidd is using him perfectly - in just the right amounts to not overexpose him due to inexperience. Interesting W-L stats from his season game log:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pla...melog/2022

13-2 when he makes at least one 3-pointer (regardless of percentage)
18-1 when he scores at least 6 points
[-] The following 3 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
Some guy decided to do a Josh Green highlight package for the month of January over two videos.  No one on this team does the combination of things Josh does when he's at his best.  His instincts are fantastic.  Most pro's outside of the stars have a small number of tools in the tool chest that they refine and do very well.  Green has so many more things that he has the potential to do well compared to other rotation wings.  Some are already better than most people realize:

He has a higher TRB% than DFS, RB or THJ
He has a higher ORB% than DFS, RB, THJ or Maxi
He has a higher FT Rate than DFS, RB or THJ
He has a higher Asst % than DFS, RB or THJ
He has a higher WS/48 than DFS, RB or THJ
He has a higher D-Lebron than DFS, RB or THJ
He has the second highest DBPM on the team
He has the third highest D-EPM on the team
He has a higher Steal % than anyone on the team
He has a higher TS% than RB or THJ
He has a higher OWS than RB or THJ

People often talk about "if he starts to hit three's consistently".  I think I've seen enough evidence that he will get there.  He's already much better than advertised finishing around the rim.  The thing I'm most interested in is actually his mid range game. There are three plays in the highlight packages below where he beats a close out and either takes two dribbles into an elbow jumper or shoots a floater.  If those shots become consistent, watch out.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDDPGnz5TsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3NgAGfxjoE
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Hogmelon, Jommybone, Kammrath, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
I want to see him take 100% of Sterling Browns minutes. Brown was -9 in 9 min in Brooklyn. Just let the kid get those minutes going forward
Like Reply
Obviously ecstatic over his growth/development under Kidd. Obviously rooting for him to shine. Still, I'd be lying to you if I didn't admit that I threw my remote in the general direction of the sun when he selection wasn't Saddiq Bey, who was perfect for us and came from a program we trust. It's still fun to play out the what ifs had we drafted him. Nothing earth shattering but we chased that wing addition from the Richardson trade to the Bullock signing & then failed to make use of the TPE we created moving JR to BOS. Assets and cash not maximized, to a degree, by selecting Green instead. Since growth isn't linear, Green still has a chance to become the better player. I am pulling for him.
" I always wanted to be a basketball player. Nothing more, nothing less." - Dirk Nowitzki
[-] The following 1 user Likes jdb152's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-21-2022, 01:49 PM)jdb152 Wrote: Obviously ecstatic over his growth/development under Kidd. Obviously rooting for him to shine. Still, I'd be lying to you if I didn't admit that I threw my remote in the general direction of the sun when he selection wasn't Saddiq Bey, who was perfect for us and came from a program we trust. It's still fun to play out the what ifs had we drafted him. Nothing earth shattering but we chased that wing addition from the Richardson trade to the Bullock signing & then failed to make use of the TPE we created moving JR to BOS. Assets and cash not maximized, to a degree, by selecting Green instead. Since growth isn't linear, Green still has a chance to become the better player. I am pulling for him.

I think most of us (excluding some of the more stubborn) are in agreement by now that both Bey and Bane would've been better selections. 

But, as you say, it's nice that we finally have reason to believe Green is an NBA player, and possibly a very good one. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • jdb152
Like Reply
Reminder how good this Green guy was looking before the playoffs. Yes, he looked absolutely awful under the bright lights. But still, the stats posted above were not imaginary. And the kid does look like a hard worker prone to improve every year. Hope he’s here next year. I can still see a path for him becoming an important piece of the puzzle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-04-2022, 01:29 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Reminder how good this Green guy was looking before the playoffs. Yes, he looked absolutely awful under the bright lights. But still, the stats posted above were not imaginary. And the kid does look like a hard worker prone to improve every year. Hope he’s here next year. I can still see a path for him becoming an important piece of the puzzle.

He might be better, for sure. 

Will he be here? That's the question.
Like Reply
(07-04-2022, 01:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Will he be here? That's the question.

Hopefully not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Players that have signed an extension on their rookie contract in the 20 years that Cuban owned the team: Dirk Nowitzki, Luka Doncic and Josh Howard.

Let you figure out what the odds are that Green is still here next season. Tongue
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • cow, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-04-2022, 01:57 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Players that have signed an extension on their rookie contract in the 20 years that Cuban owned the team: Dirk Nowitzki, Luka Doncic and Josh Howard.

Let you figure out what the odds are that Green is still here next season. Tongue

I really wanted to do a breakdown of good draft picks in the Dirk era.  You mentioned two and the other two I can think of off the top of my head are Harris and Crowder.
Like Reply
(07-04-2022, 01:57 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Players that have signed an extension on their rookie contract in the 20 years that Cuban owned the team: Dirk Nowitzki, Luka Doncic and Josh Howard.

You forgot DFS, I think (I might be missing something about your criteria), but this is a VERY good point, tbqh. 

If they're going to trade the kid and NOT commit to him long term, this summer has taught us that realistically, SOONER IS BETTER THAN LATER. Even pennies on the (theoretical) dollar would be better than letting him walk for nothing, eventually.
Like Reply
If they’re going to extend him, sooner is better too. The deal to be had is now.
Like Reply
(07-04-2022, 09:21 PM)Jommybone Wrote: If they’re going to extend him, sooner is better too. The deal to be had is now.

Not CBA legal.
Like Reply
At this point I almost wonder if their plan is to run Green as the 3rd PG. Playing point was the only time he looked remotely playable in the playoffs. Not saying it's a good idea but it makes as much sense of their free agency decisions as anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply