Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
Brunson will be great for NY.  He has Nash written all over him.  Dallas wanted him last year and didn't trade him hoping he would resign.  He didn't and it wasn't about hte money.  Obviously NY knew this for a while.  I also think he wasn't a great fit with Luka as they both wanted the ball in the playoffs too many times.  Brunson hated all of the questions about Luka and Dinwiddie.  As much as he gave the correct answer about the team and winning he burning up inside as he was shooting a great FG% haivng no turnover and sacrificed touches to Luka.  In hindsight they should have traded him but they wanted Brunson.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1542685229521031170
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 06:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The 2022-2023 roster for the Mavs is NOT set. So we have NO IDEA if the team "got worse" or "better" yet.

We lost an asset for nothing again.  These types of moves keep compounding and poor asset management has been a reason why this team was mired in mediocrity for a decade. 

The common thread is an owner who claims to be smarter than anyone else and a fan base that will keep making excuses for mgmt like many are doing today. So why expect any change?  Just don’t act surprised when Luka pulls a KD sooner than later and asks to be outta here.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:04 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: We lost an asset for nothing again.  These types of moves keep compounding and poor asset management has been a reason why this team was mired in mediocrity for a decade. 

The common thread is an owner who claims to be smarter than anyone else and a fan base that will keep making excuses for mgmt like many are doing today. So why expect any change?  Just don’t act surprised when Luka pulls a KD sooner than later and asks to be outta here.

I don't see a lot of people here making excuses for Cuban and most of the fanbase is too casual to notice or care.  Unless he is embroiled in a much largely controversy or loses his ass on something like cryptocurrency the Mark Cuban factor, much like the Jerry Jones factor, isn't going to change.  Losing Luka might be the best thing for the organization as it might get him to wake up and let someone else completely run the team while he tries to serve all his other domains.  

As it turns out, there was nothing that could be done to salvage the Jalen situation because of all the prior fuck ups.  It sucks and the team is worse for it, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it as I just don't feel that swings our title hopes even if we have even more distance to cover now.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • audiosway, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:04 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: We lost an asset for nothing again.  These types of moves keep compounding and poor asset management has been a reason why this team was mired in mediocrity for a decade. 

I can't stand Cuban. So, I have none of that business. He does get too involved when he should just zip it and sign checks.

That said, I don't care about winning the offseason anymore. I used to buy the hype and get excited about the offseason but not anymore. I was seriously upset with the hire of Kidd and Nico but I was absolutely wrong about them. Nico came in and moved on from KP which was a huge mistake from the beginning.

Kidd has this team playing some hard nosed D and buying in. They have shown Luka that they aren't going to be stagnant. Moving on from Donnie and Rick proved that. Luka is fully buying into Kidd and this team. I'm not worried about that.

I also believe that the Euro guys tend to be more loyal to teams than American players are. Look at Giannis and Dirk.

Nico has also gone out and got Wood (who I think will prove to be a huge move) and now McGee. He went and got Dinwiddie/Bertans moving KP. That proved to be a very good trade. Kidd got them not only out of the first round but to the WCF.

I don't think the Mavs are a contender yet but they are making good moves. I am actually pleasantly surprised at them hitting a single here and there rather than ONLY going for a home run and striking out. We heard no big names this year. They were lean up front so they picked up Wood and McGee. Those are very good pickups.

No one questions that the Mavs not signing JB to a smaller deal or trading him when they could was a bad move. It looks like after not getting moved at the TDL Brunson was going to be gone no matter what. So be it. Good for him.

I seriously wonder if they couldn't move him at the TDL because of THJ being injured. We'll never know. But, if that's true a WCF appearance was worth it.

At the end of the day, I want to see these guys continue to grow. Kidd and Nico are growing in their roles and will hopefully continue to do so. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now after what they have shown so far.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 6 users Like audiosway's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, hakeemfaan, Hogmelon, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
Audio. I am saying Cuban because he is the common factor in all of this even as the front office has changed. Mayebe be gave assurances to Nico that he would do what it takes to keep JB which is why they didn’t trade him.  That’s why I say when you are saying let’s see what else the FO does, remind yourself that Cuban’s large shadow lurks behind almost everything. 

I am not losing sleep over this. My cup runneth over with that title Dirk got. I will die a contented Mavs fan. I don’t even have an issue if Cuban just comes out and says we are going to run this franchise like a small market team and play moneyball because I cannot punch with the heavyweight owners anymore when it comes to luxury tax.  Just don’t insult the fan base by pretending you are the smartest man in the room or flaunt your supposedly deep pockets by coming on Shark Tank and then acting like you are running a nickel and dime operation when it comes to paying up. Even average talent commands a lot of money these days. I would be fine if Cuban was just honest about what the Mavs are trying to do.
  • audiosway, omahen
Like Reply
I cannot wait to revisit this thread in December when the Knicks are once again out of the playoff race and the Mavs are fine.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Hogmelon, Kammrath, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I cannot wait to revisit this thread in December when the Knicks are once again out of the playoff race and the Mavs are fine.

Eh. Brunson-Barret-Reddish has play in potential at best. I’m confident the Mavs will be a top 6 seed next year as long as Luka is healthy.
Like Reply
I think the Mavs will be fine next year but the Knicks will still have our number for some inexplicable reason.
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:58 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: I think the Mavs will be fine next year but the Knicks will still have our number for some inexplicable reason.

For once, the reason will be quite explicable.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BoredAssistant, F Gump
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:58 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: I think the Mavs will be fine next year but the Knicks will still have our number for some inexplicable reason.

They play every game like its game 7 of the finals vs us. Not to mention Randle is good for 40 and 15 vs us every time.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
The JB fiasco was a demonstration of the Mavs FO not being very astute in their choices.

1 If they had assessed better at the outset, as to JB's potential, they would have given him a differently-structured deal. It's true it was a popular type of deal at time and didn't have high potential to be a problem, but they never saw this outcome as possible.
2 If they had evaluated his potential and trajectory better as they went along, they would have given him an extension when given the opportunity. They devalued their own asset and his potential, despite seeing him every day.
3 If they had understood his leadership and drive all along (as it has been on display at every place he's played), they would have factored that into the way they handled him.

They have to be experts at these types of things. Sadly, they are not, and it will continue to hold them back as long as they don't remedy their lack of expertise. Some teams are really good at such things. It's possible. But not to one who isn't, yet sees himself as already an expert.
[-] The following 6 users Like F Gump's post:
  • audiosway, Fuerza1, hakeemfaan, KillerLeft, omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 10:05 PM)F Gump Wrote: The JB fiasco was a demonstration of the Mavs FO not being very astute in their choices.

1 If they had assessed better at the outset, as to JB's potential, they would have given him a differently-structured deal. It's true it was a popular type of deal at time and didn't have high potential to be a problem, but they never saw this outcome as possible.
2 If they had evaluated his potential and trajectory better as they went along, they would have given him an extension when given the opportunity. They devalued their own asset and his potential, despite seeing him every day.
3 If they had understood his leadership and drive all along (as it has been on display at every place he's played), they would have factored that into the way they handled him.

They have to be experts at these types of things. Sadly, they are not, and it will continue to hold them back as long as they don't remedy their lack of expertise. Some teams are really good at such things. It's possible. But not to one who isn't, yet sees himself as already an expert.

It's got to be more than just Mark in these personnel decisions.  He moonlights with a lot of other business interests.  And certainly more than just Carlisle/Donnie/Kidd/Nico.
Like Reply
I loved Brunson as a Mav, but now I think he sucks, he's basically just prime JJB with no upside and is going to wash out in New York. F U J B
[-] The following 1 user Likes Benskix2's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
JJB is a world champion and a national hero to Puerto Rico.  Those two don't belong in the same sentence.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • BigDirk41, hakeemfaan, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 09:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I cannot wait to revisit this thread in December when the Knicks are once again out of the playoff race and the Mavs are fine.

That’s not a good way to look at things. There was a stat that when Dirk was here on how a team that gets a true transcendent star almost always makes the playoffs.  The bar when you get a player like that is always a title. The problem though was Dirk was going against a FO that paired him with lesser players than what let’s say the Spurs paired Duncan with.  Dirk showed how little he actually needed when that title was finally won. Yet for years the FO could not do it.  Same with Luka. Warts and all, he doesn’t need much.  

Losing the 2nd best shot creator on the team is a definite step back when we added a key piece in Wood and looked to be taking a step forward.  Even some stars struggle in the playoffs. Just because Brunson struggled against GS he is not a good fit anymore? How would Brunson have played if paired with both Luka and Wood?      

You can’t compare with the Knicks. They don’t have a Luka. The team that has a Luka should aspire for much more than just making the playoffs.
  • BoredAssistant, omahen
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 10:09 PM)cow Wrote: It's got to be more than just Mark in these personnel decisions.  He moonlights with a lot of other business interests.  And certainly more than just Carlisle/Donnie/Kidd/Nico.

The buck stops with Cuban. He either makes decisions without being smart enough, or he hires and delegates to someone (or someones) who isn't smart enough, Either way, it's 100% on Cuban, until he has a FO that is elite in the areas where you need to be great.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
Mavs fans seem more excited about the possibility of the Knicks/Brunson struggling than their own team. That pretty much sums up the state of the franchise right now. We are going backwards. 

When Luka leaves, I hope the same fans keep the same attitude.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fuerza1's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 10:29 PM)F Gump Wrote: The buck stops with Cuban. He either makes decisions without being smart enough, or he hires and delegates to someone (or someones) who isn't smart enough, Either way, it's 100% on Cuban, until he has a FO that is elite in the areas where you need to be great.

Well duh.  The FO is what my question is related to.  Seems like we need a better capologist, analytics and scouting.   What turnover have we heard about besides Bob?
Like Reply
(06-30-2022, 10:23 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: That’s not a good way to look at things. There was a stat that when Dirk was here on how a team that gets a true transcendent star almost always makes the playoffs.  The bar when you get a player like that is always a title. The problem though was Dirk was going against a FO that paired him with lesser players than what let’s say the Spurs paired Duncan with.  Dirk showed how little he actually needed when that title was finally won. Yet for years the FO could not do it.  Same with Luka. Warts and all, he doesn’t need much.  

Losing the 2nd best shot creator on the team is a definite step back when we added a key piece in Wood and looked to be taking a step forward.  Even some stars struggle in the playoffs. Just because Brunson struggled against GS he is not a good fit anymore? How would Brunson have played if paired with both Luka and Wood?      

You can’t compare with the Knicks. They don’t have a Luka. The team that has a Luka should aspire for much more than just making the playoffs.

I remember (barely) when Ralph Sampson kept getting injured and how that sucked the life out of everyone.  How long did it take to fit the right pieces around The Dream after that?  7 years?
Like Reply