Poll: Who sits if Wood earns a starting spot?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Reggie Bullock
15.22%
7 15.22%
Javale McGee
56.52%
26 56.52%
Spencer Dinwiddie
28.26%
13 28.26%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ROSTER TALK: Mavs favs for Vogel if no HC job exists. Kyrie handshake deal?
Rainbow 
[Image: Fn3BZXxagAEc0Pb?format=jpg&name=large]

[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-10-10.33.41-PM.png]
[Image: FWblMPvX0AAdtqw?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
"Accumulate assets"

via Gfycat

1 I suspect the trade Philly wants for Thybulle is not for Green, but for a pick or cash. They need less payroll.

2 The laundry list of what is wanted, and adding this and that, has to be tempered with the understanding that we don't have roster spots to do hardly anything, once we assume Dragic and Pinson.
.... "Players outgoing" (and how you make that happen, and what you get) is the part that is crucial, yet ignored.

3 I would assume Mavs will get a 12.8M-ish TPE from Brunson going to NY. It's so obvious - it helps both DAL and NY to tie the Brunson move to the NY-DET trades - and it takes basically nothing.
.... That will help make things possible. And all 3 teams could perhaps tie other moves into that deal.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Tyler, VintagePejav2
Quote:The Mavericks and Pistons, according to multiple league sources, have engaged in talks about the Pistons absorbing one of their sizable contracts into cap space. It’s not known if the Pistons want additional compensation, which would create a holdup.

This feels like a precursor move....dump salary before some other move/trade.
(06-29-2022, 12:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This feels like a precursor move....dump salary before some other move/trade.

If they are smart, this would be an expansion of, and part of the tying together, of Brunson-to-NY and NY-DET trades.

TPE's gained from a trade can be used later at 100% so they add some flexibility -- but if they can be used WITHIN the trade, the flexibility is 125% or more. That not only applies to Mavs interests, but also to DET and NY.

I suspect the initial moves may all be delayed while each team looks to see if they have something more to tie into what's already determined to be done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Kammrath
(06-29-2022, 12:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This feels like a precursor move....dump salary before some other move/trade.

Sorry but where is this quote from?
(06-29-2022, 05:07 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Sorry but where is this quote from?

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-fr...-will-land

I could see Detroit having some interest in THJ. Veteran guy, good scorer and teammate. Think his contract would be too long for them to take it for nothing.
(06-29-2022, 05:39 PM)Dirknows Wrote: I could see Detroit having some interest in THJ. Veteran guy, good scorer and teammate. Think his contract would be too long for them to take it for nothing.

He did play at Michigan, but I don't see the fit since they traded for Burks.
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...6749961217
So what is the best case from here on out?

THJ + Kleber + Powell for Harris + Thybulle 
Bamba for the TP-MLE
Dragic for the minimum

I guess Dragic is a lock now. It´s just whether it´s the TP-MLE or the minimum that will make a HUGE difference to our off-season.

Mo Bamba is going to become an UFA, which means Orlando values him at less than $10.8M. With Wagner + Isaac + Banchero + WCJ  there is just no way it would be a good decision to stay in Orlando. I still have a hard time seeing him sign for the TP-MLE after what Robinson and Nurkic got, but there is always one guy in FA.

At that point MLE vs. TP-MLE doesn´t make a huge difference anyway. It´s about finding the right spot to set yourself up for success and future earnings. Still just 24 year old you sign any two year deal and get paid next time. In two years our cap situation should also be a bit more relaxed, especially if we pull off the Philly deal. *wink* Joe Smith *wink* Sidenote: Nurkic only getting paid 11M p.a. on his last deal and 17M p.a. now stinks to high heaven. 

Doncic/Dinwiddie/Ntilikina
Bullock/Dragic/Hardy
DFS/Thybulle/Green
Wood/Harris/Bertans
Bamba/???/Bingham

That would be crazy.

IF Bamba + Dragic are secured I might even throw a lottery protected 1st at Philly to make that deal happen.

3pt shooting percentages of the projected starters last year

(06-30-2022, 06:06 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So what is the best case from here on out?

THJ + Kleber + Powell for Harris + Thybulle 
Bamba for the TP-MLE
Dragic for the minimum

I guess Dragic is a lock now. It´s just whether it´s the TP-MLE or the minimum that will make a HUGE difference to our off-season.

Mo Bamba is going to become an UFA, which means Orlando values him at less than $10.8M. With Wagner + Isaac + Banchero + WCJ  there is just no way it would be a good decision to stay in Orlando. I still have a hard time seeing him sign for the TP-MLE after what Robinson and Nurkic got, but there is always one guy in FA.

At that point MLE vs. TP-MLE doesn´t make a huge difference anyway. It´s about finding the right spot to set yourself up for success and future earnings. Still just 24 year old you sign any two year deal and get paid next time. In two years our cap situation should also be a bit more relaxed, especially if we pull off the Philly deal. *wink* Joe Smith *wink* Sidenote: Nurkic only getting paid 11M p.a. on his last deal and 17M p.a. now stinks to high heaven. 

Doncic/Dinwiddie/Ntilikina
Bullock/Dragic/Hardy
DFS/Thybulle/Green
Wood/Harris/Bertans
Bamba/???/Bingham

That would be crazy.

IF Bamba + Dragic are secured I might even throw a lottery protected 1st at Philly to make that deal happen.

3pt shooting percentages of the projected starters last year

Don't know why you put Maxi in every trade proposal.  He is one of our two best defenders on a team short on defenders and is worth more to us than he would be in a trade.

Does Bamba have the lateral foot speed to play our kind of defense?  I don't think the plan is to put a center next to Wood.

Right now I think we could put a crazy good offense on the court with:

Wood
Dorian
Bullock
THJ
Luka

That lineup has a lot of similarities to the one a couple of years ago that was the greatest offense in the history of the NBA.  It would take some Kidd magic to make that lineup better than average defensively.  

If we want more focus on defense/size, I really like the following lineup:

Wood
Maxi
Dorian
Bullock
Luka

At this point the only truly necessary move is to sign Dragic, ideally for the min.  We need a vet min center (Mcgee) and with luck we have the full tax MLE to go after a defensive player (GPII, Harris, Porter).
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mavsfan12, SleepingHero
(06-30-2022, 06:36 AM)mvossman Wrote: Don't know why you put Maxi in every trade proposal.  He is one of our two best defenders on a team short on defenders and is worth more to us than he would be in a trade.

Cause Kleber is one of our best trade assets. To make a trade you also have to give the other team something it desires. All teams will ask for either DFS, Bullock or Kleber in a reasonable trade. If Philly gives away their starting SF/PF, they´ll obviously want a good SF/PF in return. Do you want to trade DFS instead? That would be the other option.
Who knows what rumors are true.  McGhee has turned out to have a nice career as a bench big after a rough start.  If the mavs have interest, he is a solid option. I would prefer betting on youth though.  I am not sure where Smith, Bamba or Hartelstein would come in at but I would prefer that route.  All
Have warts but it is where scouting and player development come in.  McGhee was in the same spot at one time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
(06-30-2022, 06:36 AM)mvossman Wrote: Does Bamba have the lateral foot speed to play our kind of defense?  I don't think the plan is to put a center next to Wood.

At this point the only truly necessary move is to sign Dragic, ideally for the min.  We need a vet min center (Mcgee) and with luck we have the full tax MLE to go after a defensive player (GPII, Harris, Porter).

Devil's advocate...if you are only paying Bamba $6.2mm, do we presume he starts?  Seems like a number you pay the second team center, not necessarily the starter.  I'm not a huge Bamba fan, but he does block shots and unlike Powell can hit a three.  There's nothing wrong with giving yourself the option of Wood at the four.  He can still be the primary PnR big as long as the other big can spread the floor.

Some of the names getting Dallas mentions lead me to believe they are trying to do something more creative than what you list (one can hope at least).  Given the money Prince got yesterday, I worry that all of the defensive wings you list end up getting more than the TP-MLE (which is why I've been focused on ways to get $10.3mm below the apron so we can use the full MLE).
I think Muscala would be a nice cheap addition. Not worse defensively than Bamba (he only blocks shots, but is a horrible defender otherwise) and much better shooter.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Okstate819
(06-30-2022, 07:03 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:
Devil's advocate...if you are only paying Bamba $6.2mm, do we presume he starts? 
Seems like a number you pay the second team center, not necessarily the starter.  I'm not a huge Bamba fan, but he does block shots and unlike Powell can hit a three.  There's nothing wrong with giving yourself the option of Wood at the four.  He can still be the primary PnR big as long as the other big can spread the floor.

Some of the names getting Dallas mentions lead me to believe they are trying to do something more creative than what you list (one can hope at least).  Given the money Prince got yesterday, I worry that all of the defensive wings you list end up getting more than the TP-MLE (which is why I've been focused on ways to get $10.3mm below the apron so we can use the full MLE).

Well yes. You cannot sell him on this project by offering him the back-up C spot. The starting spot and the opportunity to be at the end of the full Luka treatment are the lure of Dallas. Same for Smith and Hartenstein. What happens 40-50 regular season games down the road is a different story, but STARTER + LUKA are clearly our top selling points to any free agent center right now.
Circling back on the rumor that the Mavs were talking to the Pistons about trading a contract(s) without using an asset, and the Pistons known interest in THJ. I have some funny math that could make sense....

There's a report out there that 5/125 is the number that will retain Brunson. Well, for Cuban to justify or offset the cost (tax) then maybe the potential trade is THJ (19.6M) + Green (3.1M) for a total of 22.7M outgoing.

If you work out the 5/125 using 8% raises it looks like this:

Year 1 - 21,300,000 (21.3M)
Year 2 - 23,004,000 (23M)
Year 3 - 24,844,320 (25M)
Year 4 - 26,831,865 (27M)
Year 5 - 28,978,414 (29M) Player Option*

Total - 124,958,599 (125M)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • Okstate819
The Mavs aim is probably to reduce salary in a THJ trade, but get a player in return. Orlando and Detroit are the capspace teams with some need and previous interest/connections.

Ross for THJ (smaller relief)
Diallo for THJ (bigger relief)

come to mind.

Then use the $6M in cash and a 2nd round pick to dump Powell.