Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
(06-28-2022, 10:55 PM)Branduil Wrote: I think the Mavs blatantly insulting Brunson by not offering an extension because they wanted to dangle him as trade bait played a big role here.

Revisionist history to think JB deserved the extension last summer. And I don't buy for a second his agent would've let him take that extension in the middle of the season with him having a contract year. 

JB+Knick rumors have been floating around since December of last year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • hakeemfaan, Jmaciscool, Kammrath, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:55 PM)Branduil Wrote: I think the Mavs blatantly insulting Brunson by not offering an extension because they wanted to dangle him as trade bait played a big role here.

That’s different from what Gump was arguing. His argument was that the Mavs show no loyalty. Which team shows loyalty when it comes to improving their chances of landing a chip. 

KG in his round table was praising the Mavs for taking in their former players like Finley and giving him a front office position.  So I don’t believe that all players look at the Mavs as a team that shows no loyalty.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Benny_Profane_/statu...0757807104

Too bad those 8 execs aren't as smart as Cuban, the smartest man in the room
[-] The following 4 users Like Branduil's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, Smitty, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Revisionist history to think JB deserved the extension last summer. And I don't buy for a second his agent would've let him take that extension in the middle of the season with him having a contract year. 

This is massive cope.  What a terrible series of decisions by the Mavs. JB clearly should have gotten an extension last summer, and $110 over five years was a lowball offer now. The Mavs got cute and got burned. They deserved it. Couldn’t even get a minor asset in a sign and trade. What incompetence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
And the Pistons are getting Burks, Noel, two picks and cash to help New York clear cap space and the Mavs couldn’t even get in on a sign and trade? OMG.  The horror. This clearly is not a team with a plan to maximize Luka’s prime. I mean, I like Hardy as much as the next guy, but the Mavs are basically betting on a second round choice to become an all star. Otherwise, they pretty much seem tapped out. They’re going to need to pull a rabbit out of the hat.  GPII could offer some hope.  Dragic, forget about it. He’s washed.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:30 PM)F Gump Wrote: There's a reason for that. If you sign to be a bargain in Dallas, you are seen as a better trade chip for Cuban to dangle. There is no real loyalty to the key players --- only to the overpaid that forced an overpay to sign here, and then can't be moved. It began with Cuban doing some backstabbing long ago and the consequences continue on.

And that's why Tyson is an all time Mavs great even if with his tiny tenure.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/tommybeer/status/1541928342647078913?s=21&t=Tgx8FMb5l3lZYpUvsXNKvQ

https://twitter.com/tommybeer/status/1541935508485545985?s=21&t=Tgx8FMb5l3lZYpUvsXNKvQ

https://twitter.com/tommybeer/status/1541935509521448961?s=21&t=Tgx8FMb5l3lZYpUvsXNKvQ
Like Reply
Mark Cuban could be alone in a room with Forrest Gump and he would still not be the smartest man in the room
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 02:35 AM)Branduil Wrote: Mark Cuban could be alone in a room with Forrest Gump and he would still not be the smartest man in the room

Forrest Gump probably has more money than Mark. Made some genius investments...
Like Reply
SleepingHero Wrote:Revisionist history to think JB deserved the extension last summer. And I don't buy for a second his agent would've let him take that extension in the middle of the season with him having a contract year. 

Funny you talk about revisionist history. 48 hours ago the Knicks were Franchise Trash.

It is called FORWARD PROJECTION. It´s one of the most important tools besides asset management. Cuban has no idea about it. That´s why he threw 90/3 at Lowry last summer, which is basically the opening act to this development of Brunson feeling disrespected.

110/5 (player option) compared to whatever the Knicks will pay for four years is not even that huge a difference (#infamous no state tax), that if Brunson really liked it here, he would have stayed.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:53 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Current roster with no incoming S&T players and assuming Dragic is a Mav:

Wood       Powell

DFS         Maxi        Bertans

Bullock     Green      Frank

SDin        THJ          Pinson

Luka        Dragic      Hardy

After a little bit of sleep (and a quick re-read of Hollinger's FA BORD$ projections), I think it may be possible that:

1. Dragic comes for the minimum

2. Payton comes for the TP-MLE (or the portion left after signing Hardy) and is the defensive wing Nico spoke of wanting to add.

Luka, Bullock, DFS and Wood appear to be locks in the starting lineup and with Payton and Dragic here any of Payton, Dinwiddie, THJ or a big could start with them (or more importantly close with them).  Payton would provide a third lock down defender to go with Luka/Wood.  Dinwiddie obviously provides a second ball handler (and Dragic can run the second team).  Hardaway gives you Luka plus three shooters and an additional big pushes Wood to his best defensive position against teams with more size.  Basically, total flexibility around the Core-Four.  

As Hollinger pointed out, there is still an opportunity for a S&T if NY wants to operate over the cap.  There isn't a reason really Dallas wouldn't do this and the compensation, if any, would be minor in either direction.  Given the fact that Detroit now has Duren, Stewart and Noel, Olynyk becomes their fourth big.  He makes pretty close to the right money to come to Dallas as part of the 3-way with Detroit if Brunson is indeed getting just north of $110mm.  

One reason NY might not want to do this is being under the cap might make it easier to do a deal with San Antonio for Murray.  If they didn't guarantee Gibson, they'd still have about $10mm in space after signing Brunson.  That would be enough to do a Reddish plus picks for Murray deal without having to send additional salary/players to SA.  Of course, they could just as easily guarantee Gibson and send him and Reddish to SA (if SA has the roster spots).  Or, if Olynyk is too expensive for Cuban, Gibson would be a nice one year mobile big that could come to Dallas in the Brunson deal (or in the TPE created by the Brunson deal) as a way of helping move Murray to NY.  I think the roster needs one more big body besides Wood, Maxi and Powell.  With the TP-MLE presumably spent on Payton, it is either something like Olynyk or Gibson or we are shopping with the minimum.

Wood      Powell

DFS        Maxi       Bertans

Bullock    Green     Frank

Payton*   THJ       Pinson      (Hardy two way if we add a big)

Luka        SD        Dragic

*this spot could go to any of several people depending on matchups
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...6676999168
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...3768224770
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 07:41 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...3768224770

Hell yes!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...9553780736
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/AnilGognaNBA/status/...3470830599
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 07:39 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...6676999168

I would personally prefer Thybule to Payton.  I know there are concerns with Thybule shooting but I like his age better.

I shutter to think how bad Morey would play us though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, mvossman
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 07:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Thybule

Would you do THJ for Thybulle as a base?
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 07:51 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Would you do THJ for Thybulle as a base?

I was thinking what we would have that would interest Philly.    I don't know as much about Thybulle as I probably should.  Only that last year he was almost untradeable and now he appears very gettable.    Does Philly need to move him to offer Tucker the full MLE?   So is it a salary thing?

I am surprised Morey is looking to get off of him.  Again, I know the shooting is a concern, but in theory he looks like a good fit in Philly albeit with the shooting concerns.
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 07:51 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Would you do THJ for Thybulle as a base?

I would but only because i dislike THJ as a winning basketball player. But it feels like THJ is all of the sudden "more" important with Brunson gone, unless you can bring in another shooter (3+D guy hopefully) to replace him. If they can bring on Garry Harris for the T-MLE or Porter. Feels like the most important offensive skill playing with Luka is 3 pt shooting.

While Payton was awesome for Golden State, i think he thrived in Golden State because they are doing a lot of movement/cuts. They had no trouble limiting his offensive problems. Don't think that is going to work as good in a Luka type offense, where catch & shoot is required more. Payton's offense isn't very good, if he needs to shoot more. Similar growing pains a la Josh Green.

Garry Harris is the best choice imo, if you want catch and shoot and defense. He might been able to handle the ball from time to time. And he can nail 3's for days.
[-] The following 2 users Like sefant's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply