Poll: Jalen Brunson????
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pay $175M/5 Max
14.81%
4 14.81%
Sign only for $125M/5 or less
70.37%
19 70.37%
Attempt Sign & Trade with Knicks
14.81%
4 14.81%
Let Brunson Walk
0%
0 0%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POLL: $175M/5yrs/ Jalen Brunson????
Please see poll!
Like Reply
There has to be a point where you just let the Knicks Knick, right?  This whole scenario makes my stomach turn.  I want JB, but at that price, only if Cuban has taken the locks off his wallet...  because this team still needs work.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavsfan12's post:
  • ItsGoTime, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I am affraid Mavs put themselves in a position where everything else but resigning Brunson is likely worse.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • Branduil, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 01:07 AM)omahen Wrote: I am affraid Mavs put themselves in a position where everything else but resigning Brunson is likely worse.

Right. It’s not like letting him go him leaves them with the resources necessary to replace him.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, ItsGoTime, omahen
Like Reply
I would vote for "match whatever NY offers +1 year"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
IMHo, it's not just about the money, if JB bolts, one of the most likely reason is -- he wants to be the lead guard. Have his very own team. And NY is giving him that opportunity. Deserving or not, NY is telling JB that he is going to be the team's corner stone. To be the face of the team. NY's offer is for JB to be what Luka is to the Mavs, what Morant is to Memphis, what Young is to the Hawks. A common theme is that these dudes are all young and all are lead guards. That thought could dawn upon JB. The idea of having your own team at a young age is just too appealing to pass up, specially if the money is the same. I'd even go as far as say, JB would take less for the Knicks. And with JB's competitiveness, he'd take it upon himself to get wins for NY as much as he humanly can. 

I hope I'm wrong but, I think JB's gone.

Mavs better go for a sign-and-trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
IF that is part of the conversation, then Nico has to work some magic and offer Brunson the best of both worlds: We can AND WILL pay you the most money this year... AND we will work to get you to your destination next season via trade, when the BYC no longer compromises to net us the full return on the salary.

Nico has to earn his money this summer.
[-] The following 2 users Like SkenfromLMF's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 07:35 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: IF that is part of the conversation, then Nico has to work some magic and offer Brunson the best of both worlds: We can AND WILL pay you the most money this year... AND we will work to get you to your destination next season via trade, when the BYC no longer compromises to net us the full return on the salary.

Nico has to earn his money this summer.
I like the idea, it’s a steep uphill battle to fight though and thinking Nico should  “earn his money” in that way should not be in any expectations. The time to earn his money was before JB is given all the leverage. That time is come and gone. So many around here scoffed at the idea that this moment was all that possible and here we are. 

Keep me on the side of we still have the upper hand on this whole thing BTW. I just am not in any way shocked or bewildered by the news we are reading right now.
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 06:16 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: IMHo, it's not just about the money, if JB bolts, one of the most likely reason is -- he wants to be the lead guard. Have his very own team. And NY is giving him that opportunity. Deserving or not, NY is telling JB that he is going to be the team's corner stone. To be the face of the team. NY's offer is for JB to be what Luka is to the Mavs, what Morant is to Memphis, what Young is to the Hawks. A common theme is that these dudes are all young and all are lead guards. That thought could dawn upon JB. The idea of having your own team at a young age is just too appealing to pass up, specially if the money is the same. I'd even go as far as say, JB would take less for the Knicks. And with JB's competitiveness, he'd take it upon himself to get wins for NY as much as he humanly can. 

I hope I'm wrong but, I think JB's gone.

Mavs better go for a sign-and-trade.

That's one view.  The other side is that he has made his entire career on being a winner, and if Jalen considers himself a star than why not play with another star.  Jalen has been a success in Dallas, does he want to start over again?  What happens if he joins NY and they are still the crappy Knicks team?  The minute he signs the NY media will bash the team for giving up draft picks to overpay Brunson.  Does he want to live in NY or Dallas?  If the money is the same but Dallas has a player option for year 5, will he pass it up?  How loyal/supportive are Knicks fans, the same ones that were booing Randolph?  Dallas was in the quarterfinals last year and GS (and LAC) will be older and weaker.  The most important question is does JB forego a chance at an NBA title? To me if the money is the same Dallas looks a lot more attractive.
[-] The following 2 users Like haveitall's post:
  • Mapka, MAVS-SLO
Like Reply
175 is too much.   I think money is going to be important but it won't be the only thing.  I can't see any other team offering close to that much on a yearly basis.   There are additional ways of showing loyalty while also including a more than fair offer.    Would I pay it if it was the only option?   I think so, but I would need to think more of it.   I don't think it gets to that level.
Like Reply
23 + 24.15 + 25.357 + 26.625 + 27.956 = 127,088

5/$127,088,000

Didn't someone say earlier that the cap is expected to rise by '24?  Bertans and Dinwiddie off the books by conclusion of '24 or expiring or close to it.  Dwight resigned for 3.5 so he's no longer a nuisance to frustrated fans.  Brunson puts up way more shots from everywhere during regular season like he should have done last year.  Like someone else said, if Knicks perform below expectations, coach and FO gone.  You're all welcome.
Like Reply
For that much money, you shake his hand and wish him good luck.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • BoredAssistant, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 03:39 PM)cow Wrote: For that much money, you shake his hand and wish him good luck.

I get that he's not worth the contract, but I think with the cap situation the way it is you're kind of over a barrel. 

Getting to a point where you can do something about the roster, at that point, seems like it would require time you don't want to waste and moving assets in "move backwards" ways you don't want to do.

The good news is that there's no chance he's going to get maxed out, so it won't come to that.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BoredAssistant
Like Reply