Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
And for the record Hardy played 25 games in the G League.
Like Reply
He also turns 20 in less than two weeks so he doesn't quite have the youth you would hope from a guy you need to see athletic improvement from.
Like Reply
Are the Mavs going to grab Ziga Samar?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/...33185?s=21&t=HT8s0Oby877v7XhVIKutmA
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/...6688733185
Like Reply
Kamm, you now have me scared about the athleticism.  I don’t really care about the stat line and also don’t think the G League is a good developmental league for HS guys at all.  I also like the shooting stroke a lot.  I also don’t mind and actually like the irrationally confident player provided he can be coached. 

But more I’m digging and watching and I’m leaning your way on the athleticism concerns.  Hoping some of the athletic concerns…particularly the first step.  Trusting the Mavs saw something different in the workout.  This org is all about defining roles so will be interesting to see what role they intend to develop him for and more importantly if he is ready to accept that role. 

Still would have preferred Liddell, but I’ll give Nico and co. The benefit of the doubt on their first swing…especially since it’s a small one.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • Kammrath, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
coach Spins who does a lot of the videos I posted has Hardy the highest I have seen at #6.   

Here are his highest rated undrafted.  

https://twitter.com/TheBoxAndOne_/status...73889?s=20&t=_bQWV8jXM_Qe9lZv80jt9Q
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 11:58 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: I also don’t mind and actually like the irrationally confident player provided he can be coached. 

It's honestly something we need more of and the biggest reason why Josh Green was such a massive disappointment in the playoffs.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 11:55 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/...33185?s=21&t=HT8s0Oby877v7XhVIKutmA

He is interesting.  Michigan State has a few guys who look like they should be better prospects.   There a few times I saw Bingham and he either looked really good or was a guy who look like he was about to make a jump.  His stats are pretty average though.    

Just don't understand a 7 footer who has a nice touch and can block shots never really busted through. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HboEMcT4LqQ 
Hopefully more are coming.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 11:59 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: coach Spins who does a lot of the videos I posted has Hardy the highest I have seen at #6. 

CRAZY high IMO. Going to read his scouting report....
Like Reply
https://theboxandone.substack.com/p/jade...t-scouting

Quote:We’ve written extensively about Hardy before, describing why his game and its lack of athleticism require patience to sift through. He’s a really good scorer who hasn’t learned how to create space against top-tier athletes and needs to gain the tricks of the trade in order to be successful.

Split the season into thirds and the progression Hardy has undertaken is quite notable. Hardy’s start was pretty dismal, both from an efficiency standpoint and in terms of the eye test. He was taking bad shots, missing them most, was pretty poor on defense and couldn’t convert on the interior. Credit to Hardy and the team’s coaching staff, they have done a fantastic job adding micro-skills and getting Hardy to alter his game mid-season.

Watch Hardy late in the year and he looks more explosive (although still not an above-average athlete or finisher). He’s playing with more pace, looks tighter with his handle, is getting better as a passer and has cut out some of the wasteful jumpers. He’s more confident with the ball in his hands, and it shows in his numbers.

Final 8: 22.5 PTS, 4.9 REB, 4.2 AST, 2.8 TO, 1.5 STL. 42% FG, 37.7% 3FG

Middle 9: 18.9 PTS, 3.2 REB, 2.7 AST, 4.1 TO, 0.9 STL. 37.8% FG, 27.7% 3FG

First 7: 17.9 PTS, 5.3 REB, 3.4 AST, 2.9 TO, 1.4 STL. 33.1% FG, 28.3% 3FG

There is a horrible habit among casual fans and some scouts to let the initial impression that a prospect makes stick far longer than it should. Hardy has gotten so much better throughout the year — and he still has a lot to continue to improve — and it goes largely unnoticed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
I’ll say one last thing (for now) about Hardy not being a top flight athlete.  If you were going to have to learn how to survive without elite athleticism and have to rely on different tricks, pace and footwork to maximize your game…there may not be a better duo (assuming Mavs retain Brunson) to learn from than Luka and JB.  

Those two utilize ELITE footwork, strength and savvy to make up for other guys being able to out athlete them.
Like Reply
https://theboxandone.substack.com/p/pati...ardy-needs
Like Reply
[Image: FV_kApTXkAEY2Gh?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/15...4365031426
Like Reply
Brunson doesn’t have great athleticism but could score inside whenever he wanted to. Hardy looks the same.  It is a low risk decent reward move. Like
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:15 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Brunson doesn’t have great athleticism but could score inside whenever he wanted to. Hardy looks the same.  It is a low risk decent reward move. Like

Hardy looks a fair bit better than Brunson athletically to me and he has both better size and a much nicer NBA type body. He basically looks like a Dinwiddie clone, but with a much nicer looking jumpshot.
Like Reply
(06-18-2022, 01:19 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: Hollinger ... Hollinger ... blah blah blah, etc.

(06-20-2022, 10:51 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status...0223192064

(06-22-2022, 08:28 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The second round always gets a little wacky.  BTW, the draft telecast is terrible keeping everyone up to date on the trades.   Typically, you will see some really nice older players slip as we get into the middle of the second round.   Minnesota (40,48,50) New Orleans (41 & 52) Sacramento (37 &48), Indiana (31&58) and Orlando (32 & 35)  all have multiple picks and not a lot of roster spots.  I would look at some of those picks to be moved or stashed. Hollinger says some teams will seek out agents ahead of time and see which players are willing to take a two way deal in the second round.   Hollinger is not a fan of this strategy.  I am not either, but I can understand the other side.   

Hollinger says big man Karlo Matkovic put his name back in the draft and it is a strong liklihood he has a promise.  He already has a contract overseas next year.  Hollinger thought this could be Connelly in Minnesota with the promise.

(06-22-2022, 06:22 PM)F Gump Wrote: Reading Hollinger's take on Kamagate, he doesn't sound like a potential Mav target. My takeaway is that he is years away, and the Mavs would see him as little more than a potential roster-clogger, so they won't bother.

He’s slightly built and doesn’t really rebound like a five, plus his instincts as a roller are pretty questionable if he has to do anything besides dunk. Historically, European bigs who became anything in the pros have usually crushed a league like this by their age-21 season; Kamagate didn’t meet that bar. Meanwhile, French leagues historically aren’t great places for player development, either, which puts a dent in his stashability. That said, he has a size-bounciness package that should get his foot in the NBA door, so he’s worth a late-second-round lottery ticket.

(06-23-2022, 07:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status...4396775426

(06-18-2022, 05:18 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Hello Preacher, Choir here...

Here is the write-up from Hollinger's piece in The Athletic:

6. Thaddeus YoungRaptors: $8,016,263

I struggled with whether to list Young at center or power forward, but at 6 foot 8 and 235 pounds, his optimal usage case is next to a center who can shoot. Young’s ability to defend the perimeter in switches against smaller players remains a plus even at 34, but his inability to stretch the floor makes him a liability if he can’t play from the elbows on offense. He’s a crafty passer and still spins in enough short-range lefty bank shots to keep defenses honest, whether as a small-ball five or a more traditional four. If the Raptors don’t bring him back, he should have a strong market on a short-term deal for at least the taxpayer midlevel exception.

(06-20-2022, 01:19 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Another under-the-radar player worth a flier is Troy Brown Jr. Bulls likely rescind his qualifying offer ($7M+) making him an UFA. 

Versatile skillset on offense, has point forward ability. Solid defender w/ 6'11 wingspan. Only 22 years old, former #15 pick. 

TPMLE ($6M+) might be a little rich for him. Hollinger has him rated at a little over $4M AAV. 

Theoretically, Brown Jr. could play all the back-up SF minutes if THJ is moved or even back-up playmaker if Dinwiddie is moved (could also bring in Dragic to help).

(06-23-2022, 11:42 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Wow.

Yeah, "wow" is right.

If you do a search on this forum for "Hollinger," you will find at least two dozen PAGES of posts quoting or referencing Mr. John Hollinger before the first time I ever even mentioned the guy.

For example, at 10:51 AM on June 20, Kammrath posted the link to Hollinger's article for The Athletic ("Hollinger’s Top 75 NBA Draft prospects").  Then, during the actual draft (around 8:00 PM), Kammrath posted a link to a Hollinger tweet in which Hollinger boasted that his "top nine players went off the board in the first nine picks" (and the tweet provided a link to The Athletic's article).

Then ...

When Kammrath repeatedly mentioned the surprisingly ongoing availability of E.J. Liddell, I posted a comment that merely quoted the part of the article in which Hollinger discussed Liddell.  I added no endorsement, or any commentary whatsoever of my own.

Then ...

When the Mavericks traded with Sacramento to draft Jaden Hardy (with Liddell still available) at #37, I posted a comment that merely quoted the part of the article in which Hollinger discussed Hardy.  Again, I added no endorsement, or any commentary whatsoever of my own.

Then ...

You went a little overboard, methinks. 

Like I have heard around here so many times, ...  Hey, man, don't shoot the frigging messenger.

And ... as far as your [rhetorical???] question ("Did he even play ball?") ...

Thanks for the chortles.   Wink

P.S.  John Hollinger is not really my uncle; I actually don't give even ½ of a shit about the man; and my posting of articles (in whole or in part) written by Hollinger should NOT be taken as an endorsement of those articles.  Thank you, and good night.
Like Reply
John Hollinger is really my uncle.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • Hogmelon, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:30 AM)Hogmelon Wrote: Yeah, "wow" is right.

If you do a search on this forum for "Hollinger," you will find at least two dozen PAGES of posts quoting or referencing Mr. John Hollinger before the first time I ever even mentioned the guy.

For example, at 10:51 AM on June 20, Kammrath posted the link to Hollinger's article for The Athletic ("Hollinger’s Top 75 NBA Draft prospects").  Then, during the actual draft (around 8:00 PM), Kammrath posted a link to a Hollinger tweet in which Hollinger boasted that his "top nine players went off the board in the first nine picks" (and the tweet provided a link to The Athletic's article).

Then ...

When Kammrath repeatedly mentioned the surprisingly ongoing availability of E.J. Liddell, I posted a comment that merely quoted the part of the article in which Hollinger discussed Liddell.  I added no endorsement, or any commentary whatsoever of my own.

Then ...

When the Mavericks traded with Sacramento to draft Jaden Hardy (with Liddell still available) at #37, I posted a comment that merely quoted the part of the article in which Hollinger discussed Hardy.  Again, I added no endorsement, or any commentary whatsoever of my own.

Then ...

You went a little overboard, methinks. 

Like I have heard around here so many times, ...  Hey, man, don't shoot the frigging messenger.

And ... as far as your [rhetorical???] question ("Did he even play ball?") ...

Thanks for the chortles.   Wink

P.S.  John Hollinger is not really my uncle; I actually don't give even ½ of a shit about the man; and my posting of articles (in whole or in part) written by Hollinger should NOT be taken as an endorsement of those articles.  Thank you, and good night.

This is a weird conversation. I’ve known who Hollinger is for years. I dislike his analysis and was trying to talk smack about him. I still don’t get your point. He’s a writer. He never balled. I’m unimpressed with his takes. You are of course welcome to be unimpressed with mine.
Like Reply