Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Maxi Helped Us Win 2 Playoff Games. Dwight has lost us a playoff game.
(05-09-2022, 07:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have been one of the bigger Brunson backers since very early in his mavs tenure.  With that being said, I was on board with both Kemba and Lowry moves.  I correctly called out the potential negatives of each move but at the end of the day I was on board with both.  Kemba had already blown up and Lowry may soon look really bad.   It is scary to think what would have happened if the Mavs "got their guy".

People (fans) always want what they don't have...
Like Reply
(05-09-2022, 07:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kemba had already blown up and Lowry may soon look really bad.

I tried to tell y'all! Wink
Like Reply
(05-09-2022, 08:04 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I tried to tell y'all! Wink

I tried to tell you Dwight sucks for years
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
It's time for Dwight to go. Maxi was also bad tonight but we have no choice but to play him.
Like Reply
(05-20-2022, 10:45 PM)Branduil Wrote: It's time for Dwight to go. Maxi was also bad tonight but we have no choice but to play him.
Nope, everybody wants to go smaller at C. Play Luka or DFS at C.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/stat...6971809792
Like Reply
(05-22-2022, 09:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/stat...6971809792

I mean, Biyambo had more meaningful minutes than Powell in the playoffs.
Like Reply
Powell is the worst starting center in the league. It's a miracle we won two playoff series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
The criticism Powell faces from restless fans is an unfortunate consequence of the Peter Principle playing out for him and many otherwise-excellent roleplayers in the NBA. DP is amazing at what he does and remains one of the best values in the league - about as much as one should ask for from a roleplayer. Being a makeshift replacement for a position that was essentially a placeholder for a Latvian unicorn superstar was clearly asking far too much.

I don't think Dallas needs to 'get rid' of the longest tenured Maverick, he can still provide immense value especially over the course of a long grinding NBA season (to the point of even leading the squad in Win Shares), but i'd be overjoyed if Nico & co figure out a way this off-season to put Powell in a position to be a contender for 6th man of the year next season.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mak's post:
  • KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 07:16 AM)Mak Wrote: The criticism Powell faces from restless fans is an unfortunate consequence of the Peter Principle playing out for him and many otherwise-excellent roleplayers in the NBA. DP is amazing at what he does and remains one of the best values in the league - about as much as one should ask for from a roleplayer. Being a makeshift replacement for a position that was essentially a placeholder for a Latvian unicorn superstar was clearly asking far too much.

I don't think Dallas needs to 'get rid' of the longest tenured Maverick, he can still provide immense value especially over the course of a long grinding NBA season (to the point of even leading the squad in Win Shares), but i'd be overjoyed if Nico & co figure out a way this off-season to put Powell in a position to be a contender for 6th man of the year next season.

This is quite the stretch.  He is not "one of the best values in the league" at 11 mil.  At his best he came off the bench to terrorize second units with his rim running, which might have been worth the MLE.  But in order for that to work optimally he needed a high quality reserve pick & roll partner (usually Barea) and a stretch 5 who could protect the rim and stay out of the paint (usually Maxi).  In a post achillis world I think its unlikely he reaches that same level again, and 6th man of the year seems wildly unlikely.  If he was ever leading the team in win shares, that is more of an indictment on that stat than anything else.

I do agree he got put in a really bad position.  I don't think the FO had any intention of seriously competing this season after the KP trade.  I think that was a decision to cut bait with KP at all costs and take a step back so they could later take a step forward.  Otherwise I think there would have been more effort at the TDL to shore up the front court (including Gafford in the trade would have been a big help).  

Kidd worked some magic to make Powell a usable single big in the regular season, but it all came crashing down in the playoffs.  I don't disagree that he would be helpful as a backup big in the regular season.  If we manage to get a legit starting center this offseason, I could even see some value in Powell/Maxi lineups against second units in the playoffs.  If we do decide to hold on to him after this coming season, that next contract needs to be significantly smaller than what he is getting now.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BasketballJones41, F Gump, MFFL
Like Reply
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/uy...offs_32nd/

Dwight you're a nice guy but you can't out-rebound a towel and I never want to see you start for this team again.
[-] The following 3 users Like Branduil's post:
  • BasketballJones41, MFFL, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 07:16 AM)Mak Wrote: The criticism Powell faces from restless fans is an unfortunate consequence of the Peter Principle playing out for him and many otherwise-excellent roleplayers in the NBA. DP is amazing at what he does and remains one of the best values in the league - about as much as one should ask for from a roleplayer. Being a makeshift replacement for a position that was essentially a placeholder for a Latvian unicorn superstar was clearly asking far too much.

I’ve been with you on Team Powell for years, but this postseason has been an eye opener. Apparently, Powell is only a good role player when the opponent isn’t playing all out. His inability to even try to get a rebound lost the Mavs a series that was more winnable than many of you think. That was painful to watch and one of the worst playoff performances I’ve ever seen. His value for next season is as a decent sized expiring contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
I have never understood why he is so poor on the boards. He seems chiseled and plays hard. Maybe lacks core strength.  Dirk was nowhere as cut as DP but Dirk was one of the best rebounders in traffic. That’s why his rebounding numbers always went up in the post season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 06:27 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I have never understood why he is so poor on the boards. He seems chiseled and plays hard. Maybe lacks core strength.  Dirk was nowhere as cut as DP but Dirk was one of the best rebounders in traffic. That’s why his rebounding numbers always went up in the post season.
He is hyper focused on boxing out, but in doing that, he never sees where the ball is bouncing off the rim. He hardly ever even gets a hand up to grab the ball let alone jumps for it. He only gets a rebound if he’s lucky it bounces right to him (and even then, other players will go over him to get it). It’s just weird that he’s never improved this part of his game.
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 06:27 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I have never understood why he is so poor on the boards. He seems chiseled and plays hard. Maybe lacks core strength.  Dirk was nowhere as cut as DP but Dirk was one of the best rebounders in traffic. That’s why his rebounding numbers always went up in the post season.

I think rebounding is as much about instinct as it is pure strength. Kidd was strong for his size, but he certainly wasn't outmuscling centers to get all his rebounds, he just knew where to be.
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 07:28 AM)Branduil Wrote: I think rebounding is as much about instinct as it is pure strength. Kidd was strong for his size, but he certainly wasn't outmuscling centers to get all his rebounds, he just knew where to be.
The more you watch the ball travel to the rim and careen off it, the more understanding you get as to where it’s going even when it leaves the shooters hand. This is the method I used to rebound as I grew up and it served me well. Understanding angles and such are key. It is harder to do when you’re already under the basket, but you just fight to get to the position you know the ball is going. It’s not fool-proof, but it worked pretty well for me.
Like Reply