Poll: Did the Mavs have a successful year?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
29.09%
16 29.09%
Absolutely
21.82%
12 21.82%
Positively
14.55%
8 14.55%
Without a doubt
12.73%
7 12.73%
Certainly
10.91%
6 10.91%
Unequivocally
10.91%
6 10.91%
Total 55 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Season Was A Success
(05-05-2022, 06:36 PM)omahen Wrote: I think Mavs have a short window. Looking at current roster, Brunson, Luka and Green are the only three rotation players that wont be 30 or older next season. So you have about 2-3 seasons to add to this core and make them a contender. Since days of cap space are gone for several years to come and since draft picks will likely have low probability to add significant talent, trades are the only realistic way to make that happen.

I don't really see this at all.  At the start of the season the core was:

Luka: 22
Brunson: 25
Dorian: 28

Key rotation guys:

Dinwiddie: 28
Maxi: 29
Hardaway: 29
Bullock: 30

In two or three years the core will be better and the rotation guys will be likely playing at similar level.  I would rather continue incremental improvement (like getting a starting center) and go for the bold move in a season or two when they are in a better asset situation.  I think this team is closer than some folks are given them credit for and feel like we should probably recover from our last bold move (KP) before pulling the trigger on another.
Like Reply
(05-07-2022, 08:58 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Mavs did figure out Josh Green. He’s bad. Frankie is the better prospect. Keep Frankie and throw Josh into a trade in the off-season.

I don't really understand why folks are so quick to give up on Green.  A 21 year old who showed huge improvement over his first season, but isn't quite ready for playoff basketball yet.  If he comes out next year not any better than he was this year, then it makes sense to start questioning.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(05-08-2022, 08:21 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't really understand why folks are so quick to give up on Green.  A 21 year old who showed huge improvement over his first season, but isn't quite ready for playoff basketball yet.  If he comes out next year not any better than he was this year, then it makes sense to start questioning.

Let's add up all the factors:

-Didn't get burn on his national team.  
-Got too much burn for the Mavericks this post season.  (Thank God that Kidd finally played Frank instead of him)
-Watch any Memphis game
Like Reply
(05-08-2022, 08:21 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't really understand why folks are so quick to give up on Green.  A 21 year old who showed huge improvement over his first season, but isn't quite ready for playoff basketball yet.  If he comes out next year not any better than he was this year, then it makes sense to start questioning.

It seems that the most negative opinions are voiced the most frequently here. I doubt it’s actually a popular opinion you’re seeing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • ballsrchr, Hogmelon
Like Reply
(05-08-2022, 08:24 PM)cow Wrote: Let's add up all the factors:

-Didn't get burn on his national team.  
-Got too much burn for the Mavericks this post season.  (Thank God that Kidd finally played Frank instead of him)
-Watch any Memphis game

This is not a great argument.

-his NBA performance this season is way more useful measuring stick than what he did for his national team prior to that
-a 21 year old not ready for NBA playoff basketball.  Give it a year
-Memphis?  Are you saying we should have drafted Bane?  No shit.  I was the biggest Bane cheerleader and I had no idea he would be this good.  That has nothing to do with whether Green will be a useful rotation player.  Frank has had 5 seasons and still hasn't made it.  How about we give Green 3?
Like Reply
Green was great in the regular season on 2 pointers, he couldn't do that against Gobert/Ayton and had the jitters on his 3 ball. Playoff ball is just a different beast. He needs some more time, his regular season numbers are good and improving at the rate they should. Way too early to give up on him, but I wouldn't say he's completely untouchable if the right deal came along.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jakeospikez's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(05-08-2022, 08:49 PM)mvossman Wrote: This is not a great argument.

-his NBA performance this season is way more useful measuring stick than what he did for his national team prior to that
-a 21 year old not ready for NBA playoff basketball.  Give it a year
-Memphis?  Are you saying we should have drafted Bane?  No shit.  I was the biggest Bane cheerleader and I had no idea he would be this good.  That has nothing to do with whether Green will be a useful rotation player.  Frank has had 5 seasons and still hasn't made it.  How about we give Green 3?

You asked for reasons and you got them.  I'm not arguing in the least.
Like Reply
(05-08-2022, 09:30 PM)cow Wrote: You asked for reasons and you got them.  I'm not arguing in the least.

Then I will restate.  Those are poor reasons to quite on a 21 year old player.  Its interesting because his numbers are a littler better per 36 than your god king in his third season when he was 4 years older.  I'm curious what you were saying about him after he put up his 3rd season of shooting roughly 30% from 3.
Like Reply
It would be hard to say this season is not a success relative to our talent, but ask Dirk if he ever felt true success until he got the job done.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(05-08-2022, 11:38 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: It would be hard to say this season is not a success relative to our talent, but ask Dirk if he ever felt true success until he got the job done.

Tough crowd. 

Dirk’s third year was his first series win. It came against Utah. 5 game series. Lost first two. Tied it up at home. Won game 5 against the higher seed on the road in a nail biter. That was the beginning of the end for hall-of-fame point guard John Stockton, who retired following the subsequent season I believe. I’m pretty sure Dirk felt successful. Here are his words per Tim MacMahon: “I remember when [Karl] Malone missed that last shot in Game 5, we were running around on the court like we won the championship. I mean, it was insane. I was lapping around the arena like twice.” https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-maveric...emory-lane 

Mavs moved on to face the top seeded Spurs. Fell behind 3-0 before managing to win 1 (the only game that could be called close, which Dirk returned to after losing a tooth to a nasty elbow). I expect Dirk felt like that was a successful season.
Like Reply
(05-08-2022, 11:10 PM)mvossman Wrote: Then I will restate.  Those are poor reasons to quite on a 21 year old player.  Its interesting because his numbers are a littler better per 36 than your god king in his third season when he was 4 years older.  I'm curious what you were saying about him after he put up his 3rd season of shooting roughly 30% from 3.

The point is there are plenty of reasons to be doubtful of Green.  I gave you reasons why others doubt it which are valid.  My personal critique of Green wouldn't be about him playing poorly, you can build off of that, but rather him playing scared.  As far as Dorian is concerned, I watch basketball and spend very little time on basketball reference looking to try prove a point.  Dorian has "it".  Jury is out on Josh.
Like Reply
(05-09-2022, 01:00 AM)cow Wrote: The point is there are plenty of reasons to be doubtful of Green.  I gave you reasons why others doubt it which are valid.  My personal critique of Green wouldn't be about him playing poorly, you can build off of that, but rather him playing scared.  As far as Dorian is concerned, I watch basketball and spend very little time on basketball reference looking to try prove a point.  Dorian has "it".  Jury is out on Josh.

I do both, because I realize I don't have NBA scout level eye for players and its good to cross check your eye test.

I liked Dorian from the beginning and was glad they kept him, but the reality is if he never got his three above the 30% he was averaging his first three seasons, his value would have been limited no matter what his "it" factor was.

I agree the jury is still out on Josh.  That has been my whole point.  I don't think he is going to bring a lot back in a trade right now, and I would much rather see if he grows into a legit rotational player next season.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump
Like Reply
(05-09-2022, 03:53 PM)mvossman Wrote: I do both, because I realize I don't have NBA scout level eye for players and its good to cross check your eye test.

I liked Dorian from the beginning and was glad they kept him, but the reality is if he never got his three above the 30% he was averaging his first three seasons, his value would have been limited no matter what his "it" factor was.

I agree the jury is still out on Josh.  That has been my whole point.  I don't think he is going to bring a lot back in a trade right now, and I would much rather see if he grows into a legit rotational player next season.

Eyes lie (I'm still confident in THT).  Stats lie (Bertans has positive defensive numbers in the playoffs).  I'm pretty apathetic on Josh.  I took some of your comments as I was arguing against Josh.  I'm not.  I'm just giving examples of why a lot doubt the player.  I generally wish the best for everyone.  Josh's hesitance on pulling the trigger  is a big red flag for me though.  And if you want to compare him to Dorian early on, Josh has a major advantage of only being coached by Carlisle for one season.  Listen to Dorian's presser from last night when he explains he was told to not shoot except at the end of a shot clock.  That's a great way to lower and already low percentage and sap the confidence from a player.
Like Reply
Can we change the title to "this season IS a success?". I mean imagine, just imagine, we win the next one. I don't think we are going to falter like last season. And if you beat this Suns' team, why not go all the way?

I am not saying we are suddenly favorites or anything, but we are amongst the 5 or 6 teams who could do it this year. And we've beaten anybody (GSW when they were hot, Memphis twice in January, we beat the Celtics when they were red-hot on their home-court, we beat the Sixers in February, we beat the Heat in February, a Middleton-less Bucks' team does not give me the shivers, also we beat them in April ...).

Let's steal the next in Phoenix first and yes, we can lose this series in 6 but I don't think it is crazy to have these thoughts.
[-] The following 2 users Like meistermatze's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(05-10-2022, 04:19 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Can we change the title to "this season IS a success?"

Agreed. 

If we had run a poll at the beginning of the season on the likelihood that the Mavs would find themselves tied 2-2 with the NBA's best team going into game 5 of the second round, that would've seemed like "success" to 98% of us.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth, Jommybone, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(05-10-2022, 10:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agreed. 

If we had run a poll at the beginning of the season on the likelihood that the Mavs would find themselves tied 2-2 with the NBA's best team going into game 5 of the second round, that would've seemed like "success" to 98% of us.

I always believe.
But that's more optimism and wishful thinking than realism.
Like Reply
(05-10-2022, 10:56 AM)Mapka Wrote: I always believe.
But that's more optimism and wishful thinking than realism.

I don't follow, sorry. 

The Mavs ARE tied with the Suns, 2-2, going into game 5 of the second round of the playoffs. That's reality. It's a fact.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Optimism that you could get 98% of us to agree on anything. Heh.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
Like Reply
If the Mavs win this series, then I would say unqualified success. If they actually make it to the finals, there’s a decent chance they have home court I believe. And that would make them the favorite.
Like Reply
It's a weird feeling...one that we probably won't experience again now that expectations will increase in the future. The Mavs could get blown out in these next two games and I'd be okay with it since they already exceeded my expectations of just advancing out of the first round and avoiding a sweep vs. a great team in the next round.
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply