Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
(01-22-2022, 08:45 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/j...league-why

Well that was some garbage “reporting”…

This is absolutely horrible reporting, I agree. Of course not every team can hit 50-50. Some teams will have higher or lower percentages, it's just statistical noise that is completely normal. If an owner wanted only one colour of players, the number would be 100-0 - always. And this is not the case here obviously.

What a terrible piece of writing. People do all kind of stuff to get attention. People will on purpose misinterpret things to get attention and for their articles to get some mention.

For bringing up colour of the skin of players and looking into this in an article, this tends to divide people rather than the opposite. The article and its intentions are racial and of purpose to divide.

Stick to basketball and skills, what people do, rather than how they look. We should stop talking and discriminating people based on their looks. What colour we have. Or how many kilograms we have, are we fat or are we in shape or not. We need to respect each other for what we do and who we are, not how we look.
[-] The following 5 users Like burekemde's post:
  • ballsrchr, BasketballJones41, omahen, ReunionMav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
@"burekemde"

I think my favourite part is when it mentions Matt Carroll being the centrepiece of a trade, but he was actually just a salary dump from Charlotte when we traded for Tyson Chandler, who is… wait for it… wait for it… black.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul Gasol's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Wow, that is garbage! 

The logic stinks, they give Cuban credit for pre-Cuban coaches, they list some pretty good, and well respected players, in their "awful white player" list. 

They say crazy things like:

"It seems every decade, the white NBA player becomes less relevant. Yet one franchise has often kept the dream of mediocre white guys alive"

"With the departure of Nelson this summer, Cuban hired a black general manager, Harrison, to replace Nelson. But this off-season, Harrison and Cuban continued the annual tradition of obtaining/retaining a so-so white player when the Mavs re-signed Marjanovic to a new deal."
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • LukTheShadow
Like Reply
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/jas...ar-AAT1Gta

Huh
Like Reply
(01-22-2022, 08:45 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/j...league-why

No interest in reading that but I will say I've heard similar questions from friends of my who are NBA fans.  Further, in the years following the title when the Mavs were big game hunting for another star to pair with/be the torch bearer for Dirk, Bill Simmons mentioned something about their struggles and said there was a league wide perception along the lines of the question being purposed in that article.  

I'll also admit that it was my major reservation against drafting Luka.  Take that with a grain of salt as I don't know anything about college or international hoops.  And I'll further admit, it's part of the reason why I don't want Sabonis but the larger reason is that I believe the team needs to get more athletic

To counter some of that:

-The apex of Nash certainly wasn't in Dallas.
-Luka would be a star on any team.
-Maxi would be a valuable rotation piece on any team.
-KP was a star in New York
-I'm not sure where to categorize Parsons.  Injuries derailed him.  I think that was a huge reach but we made that same huge reach with Barnes.  Seems like that was more of a failure of being able to land top tier talent but maybe that is hurt partially by the issue at hand.
-Statistics from my arse, Mavs have to be one of the more international focused teams in league history.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply

That writer seems pretty racist to me... 

I wonder if he is going to regret writing such a piece.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BasketballJones41, burekemde, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(01-22-2022, 12:36 PM)cow Wrote: No interest in reading that but I will say I've heard similar questions from friends of my who are NBA fans.  Further, in the years following the title when the Mavs were big game hunting for another star to pair with/be the torch bearer for Dirk, Bill Simmons mentioned something about their struggles and said there was a league wide perception along the lines of the question being purposed in that article.  
Well it probably doesn´t help that Cuban said he´s change the street, if he saw a black guy in a hoodie at night.

As for that article: WTF. I didn´t even know the guardian writes about basketball. Last time must have been the original Dream Team.

But my theory still holds that players simply did not sign here, cause they thought the organisation is run poorly. Given that Carlisle, Casey, Silas, and Mosley currently hold four of the six worst records in the league, maybe the toxic personality severely outweighed what was left of the Carlisle coaching magic, too.
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 07:04 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Well it probably doesn´t help that Cuban said he´s change the street, if he saw a black guy in a hoodie at night.

To be fair, most of the things I referenced occurred before those comments.  Perception is important though, even if it is counter to reality.
Like Reply
(01-22-2022, 04:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That writer seems pretty racist to me... 

I wonder if he is going to regret writing such a piece.

The Mavs are objectively one of the most culturally diverse teams in the league with players from 8 different countries. Singling them out for a diversity hit piece because all he cares about is skin color tells me everything about the author that I need to know.
[-] The following 6 users Like Tyler's post:
  • burekemde, fifteenth, Hypermav, michaeltex, Paul Gasol, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 12:41 PM)Tyler Wrote: The Mavs are objectively one of the most culturally diverse teams in the league with players from 8 different countries. Singling them out for a diversity hit piece because all he cares about is skin color tells me everything about the author that I need to know.

Also, an area where the NBA has room to grow in providing opportunity for people color is in front office and executive positions. And the Mavs seem to be helping on that front.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/mavs-...0548695030

Really good podcast here by cap expert Yossi Gozlan. He believes that Brunson will probably only get 12-15mil max this summer, and thinks he could be traded to the Knicks.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The Mavs should know by now what Jalen wants and how much.
But the thing is.. the West is pretty open right now, no team is heads and shoulders above the other, take away Brunson and the team can spiral out of contention, and this will be a wasted season if that happens.

You just can't expect Jalen by himself will get you a better playmaker, chances are you'd get you something, an upgrade from somewhere else  but most likely a downgrade at the guard spot. With THJ not performing, the guard spot is shaky.

The obvious choice for trade is THJ. 

If Detroit still likes him (and I doubt that), would love Olynyk + Hayes + Josh Jackson for THJ + Moses + a second round pick
Dragic + Boucher for THJ and Moses, if anything this is just a salary dump for the Mavs with short term help from Dragic
Like Reply
How much would you pay Jalen Brunson and DFS this off season if you sre the Mavs? I would be okay signing them both with the max extension if they agree to that.

I also agree that the move should be to trade THJ fpr an expiring contract. And, try to resign JB and DFS.
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/mavs-...0548695030

Really good podcast here by cap expert Yossi Gozlan. He believes that Brunson will probably only get 12-15mil max this summer, and thinks he could be traded to the Knicks.

In case you aren't familiar with Miles McBride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djtwh_ZPYqc
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 11:30 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: How much would you pay Jalen Brunson and DFS this off season if you sre the Mavs? I would be okay signing them both with the max extension if they agree to that.

I also agree that the move should be to trade THJ fpr an expiring contract. And, try to resign JB and DFS.

I would love to sign Brunson to max extension, but I don't think that is necessary with DFS.  He will most likely be looking at MLE offers in free agency.  I think an extension in the 10-12 a year range would make sense.

(01-23-2022, 11:02 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: The Mavs should know by now what Jalen wants and how much.
But the thing is.. the West is pretty open right now, no team is heads and shoulders above the other, take away Brunson and the team can spiral out of contention, and this will be a wasted season if that happens.

You just can't expect Jalen by himself will get you a better playmaker, chances are you'd get you something, an upgrade from somewhere else  but most likely a downgrade at the guard spot. With THJ not performing, the guard spot is shaky.

The obvious choice for trade is THJ. 

If Detroit still likes him (and I doubt that), would love Olynyk + Hayes + Josh Jackson for THJ + Moses + a second round pick
Dragic + Boucher for THJ and Moses, if anything this is just a salary dump for the Mavs with short term help from Dragic

Love the Dragic trade, but I doubt Toronto has any interest in THJ.
Like Reply
Maybe Jamahl Mosley likes THJ enough to trade Gary Harris for him.
Like Reply
(01-23-2022, 10:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/mavs-...0548695030

This guy is saying a lot of what I've been saying.  

They probably won't pay tax on both JB and DFS.  Possible, but not likely.  If you try to keep both, you've got to move off of some other money.

THJ doesn't bring back value in a trade.  They probably would love to get off his money if they can (he also mentions getting off Powell as a means of saving money...booooo).

You don't trade KP when he's going like this (plus, if you trade him you won't get full value which is a step backwards).

DFS is likely retained for about the MLE or slightly more.  You keep him because his multi-positional chops are hard to find.

PG is more easily replaced than wing.  JB might be a negative value contract at 4/$80.  More likely his value is similar to Graham at $12mm.  You keep him for that, but you have to at least look at getting your pick back from NY plus something given Brunson's UFA status and the reports NY wants him.  Unfortunately, the names he names from NY are not the names we like around here.  He mentions Kemba and Miles McBride (I like McBride's upside actually).  

To me, Brunson is the only player who can generate a premium return.  Part of that return (and it has to be more than this) unlocks a trove of assets we don't have access to now.  Trading Brunson is a means to a larger end.  If you can use those assets to get a final piece type guy (and some return from NY), I think it has to be considered.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Not an evil robot, omahen
Like Reply

The 20 million for Jalen just seemed strange to me.    From what I understand, there won't be a lot of teams who will be able to have 20 million in salary cap room this summer.   That doesn't mean you can't do a sign and trade.   The Knicks rumor is interesting as well.   Is it really smart for them to invest 18 million for Jalen?   NYK are still in talent accumulation stage.  This year has been a disappointment but long term their goal is to become a stable franchise and then look for the stars.   Jalen makes them better now, but not sure if that is the right direction their new front office will take.
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 07:41 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: (he also mentions getting off Powell as a means of saving money...booooo)

I know we all have our sacred cows, but sometimes you have to be willing to lose something in order to improve the team.  Big Grin

On another note, man, DP sure has been fitting into JKidd's system well!!
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 10:27 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I know we all have our sacred cows, but sometimes you have to be willing to lose something in order to improve the team.  Big Grin

On another note, man, DP sure has been fitting into JKidd's system well!!

Trade of the day:
Sacred Cow traded for Cash Considerations to improve depth (of owners pockets).
Like Reply