Poll: Do you listen to Sam Presti's base offer or do you hang up the phone?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I listen as I might be willing to trade Luka for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander + 8 future 1st round picks (3 in 2023, 3 in 2024, 2 in 2025).
21.05%
4 21.05%
I hang up the phone.
78.95%
15 78.95%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you listen to Sam Presti's offer?
Question 
This is just a fun question to see where Mavs fans stand on Luka at the moment....

[Image: r960-36972a7dbc29b67535c251cad57e629c.jpg]

Hypothetical Scenario: You are the GM of the Mavs and Sam Presti of the Oklahoma City Thunder calls you on June 29, 2022 and makes you a base offer...

To OKC: Luka Doncic 

To DAL: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander + 8 future 1st round picks (3 in 2023, 3 in 2024, 2 in 2025)

Other players on both sides can be discussed to add to the deal as you desire or not. Do you listen to this base offer or hang up the phone?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
Nope. Never. Not in a million years. 

OKC could offer the entire franchise and I wouldn't even pick up the phone if they were asking for Luka.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BasketballJones41, KillerLeft, ReunionMav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-28-2021, 04:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Nope. Never. Not in a million years. 

OKC could offer the entire franchise and I wouldn't even pick up the phone if they were asking for Luka.
Neither would I but this board has really turned on him pretty quickly.
Like Reply
So, essentially, this is a situation where Presti wants to trade places with the Mavs.
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • mavsluvr, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(12-28-2021, 04:15 PM)fifteenth Wrote: So, essentially, this is a situation where Presti wants to trade places with the Mavs.

Yes and no. Presti would still have some significant draft capital left and the Mavs would still have all their own current players and assets.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/4HiczsLUHX.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 3 users Like ClutchDirk's post:
  • BasketballJones41, hakeemfaan, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-28-2021, 04:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yes and no. Presti would still have some significant draft capital left and the Mavs would still have all their own current players and assets.
And also giving up a once in a generation player.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BasketballJones41, fifteenth, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I'm sure Presti would love to get his greedy little hands on Luka :-) 

^ was that an example of the "Everyman" rhetorical device?  :-D
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • mavsluvr
Like Reply
Sure. Followed by a trade where I send KP and 10 firsts back to OKC for Luka.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I will counter that and say I can give up anyone on the team not named Luka and ask to get SGA.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-28-2021, 04:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Sure. Followed by a trade where I send KP and 10 firsts back to OKC for Luka.

YOU WIN!!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-28-2021, 04:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Hypothetical Scenario: You are the GM of the Mavs and Sam Presti of the Oklahoma City Thunder calls you on June 29, 2022 and makes you a base offer...

To DAL: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander + 8 future 1st round picks (3 in 2023, 3 in 2024, 2 in 2025)

Other players on both sides can be discussed to add to the deal as you desire or not. Do you listen to this base offer or hang up the phone?

Obviously you wouldn't consider a Luka trade. So the rest is just talk.

But while we fawn over the quantity, actually those OKC picks project to be mostly junk, if Luka is healthy, because it's picks from almost all solid playoff teams (and some of those are also protected).

2023 Denver (lottery protected), Miami (lottery protected), Washington (lottery protected), OKC (with Luka)/or Clipps
2024 Houston (top 4 protected), Utah (top-10 protected), Clipps, OKC (with Luka)
2025 Philly (top-6 protected), Houston (top-10 protected)/or Clipps or OKC (with Luka)

In theory, lots of chances for good talent, but with all the protections plus who the picks are coming from, not so much. The Houston picks look enticing, of course, but even those won't be super-high.
[-] The following 6 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, BasketballJones41, ClutchDirk, fifteenth, mvossman, ReunionMav
Like Reply
I don't consider Luka untouchable, but the Mavs do.  My feelings on Luka have very little to do with what we've seen from him this year.  

I don't trust what the Mavs would do with those draft picks anymore than I trust that they can build the right team around Luka to make him an NBA champion.

I think more than anything, SGA kills that deal for me.  He's a good player but is he a great player?  *shrug*
Like Reply
I would stick the phone under my butt, fart really loud into it and then hang up.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
You should be banned for even bringing up the hypothetical. I really don't care how many picks they offer, why in the hell would you trade Luka Doncic for picks that you hope could one day be used to get someone who might be as good as Luka Doncic?
[-] The following 3 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • BasketballJones41, F Gump, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(12-28-2021, 04:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This is just a fun question to see where Mavs fans stand on Luka at the moment....

[Image: r960-36972a7dbc29b67535c251cad57e629c.jpg]

Hypothetical Scenario: You are the GM of the Mavs and Sam Presti of the Oklahoma City Thunder calls you on June 29, 2022 and makes you a base offer...

Doughlusional
Like Reply
A bird in the hand is worth 8 in the bush
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
OKC has so many picks it sort of diminishes their value. You only have so much room for roster churn, year after year, with very young players who will take time to develop, and you have know idea what you have until the do, if they even do.
Like Reply
The chance of one of those picks being somebody as Luka is close to zero. When you look at the average 1st round player, its really far from a Luka level player.

Therefore, it would not be a smart choice. At end of the careeer he will be top 5 or top 10 player ever. All it takes is to build the squad around Luka and winning, and stop building a squad and scheme with skills not matching his game. Chances are high he (Luka) will make more titles than Dirk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Ya know, it doesn't have to be this mutually exclusive situation by where the Mavs either have Luka or boatload of draft assets.  For the most part, Presti accumulated all those by simply not being a shitty GM.  He just kept churning cap space for terrible contracts/usable players + picks.  Then, once the contracts became less onerous, he would deal those for terrible contracts/usable players + picks.  Rinse and repeat.  I mean outside of Paul George, he wasn't dealing a player in their prime.

The Mavs totally could be sitting here with Luka AND 8 FRPs right now.  They also could've passed on THJ, Bullock, etc, last offseason, auctioned off their cap space, with an eye toward hitting a home run two years from now instead of a couple of infield singles.  But, alas, that's what forward thinking organizations do.

So if this trade comes to pass Cuban needs to come out, admit he's Ross Perot Jr. and that he's trading his transcendent player (ala Jason Kidd) simply to make up for letting the "Frank Zaccaneli's" of the world run his team into the ground.
[-] The following 3 users Like RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, cow, michaeltex
Like Reply