Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Mavs sign G Theo Pinson (6'5", 6'10.75" WS) to Two-Way contract
Information 
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...4792851462
Like Reply
The NBA and the union recently amended the rules regarding replacement players, in response to the COVID outbreak. 

If a team has one player testing positive, they have the option to sign a replacement player without going through the hardship exemption process. If two players are positive, they are required to sign a replacement player. If three or four players are testing positive, then they are required to sign one or two more replacement players, respectively. There are no further requirements, provided that they can field a team of at least 13 players. 

Most of the replacement players are being signed from the G-League. I think this fellow is the required replacement player for the Mavs.
Like Reply
It is odd.  Boston signed Justin Jackson who was on the legends and Dallas signed Pinson who was on Boston G-league.   I know we have already had the Jackson experience but I think I would prefer him over Pinson.   Now, I haven't seen Pinson since college.  He was a solid player but from my recollection is similar to guys we already have.    Jackson can at least score a little.   Did Boston beat us to the punch with earlier covid results?
Like Reply
Carlik Jones deserves the roster spot.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • luka_skywalker_77
Like Reply
(12-20-2021, 09:25 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It is odd.  Boston signed Justin Jackson who was on the legends and Dallas signed Pinson who was on Boston G-league.   I know we have already had the Jackson experience but I think I would prefer him over Pinson.   Now, I haven't seen Pinson since college.  He was a solid player but from my recollection is similar to guys we already have.    Jackson can at least score a little.   Did Boston beat us to the punch with earlier covid results?

I doubt if this guy ever sees the court, tbh. Unless the roster is just ravaged by COVID, in which case, it won't matter much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Another ex-knicks injury prone player who cant shoot and never played the whole season.... sounds familiar....bonus - he is known as a prankster and mavs will need a lot of relaxation humour these days
[-] The following 2 users Like Borkhan's post:
  • khaled1987, SleepingHero
Like Reply
He checks all of the boxes for the Mavs.

• Former Knick
  • Alleged "3 and D" potential
Easy decision to bring him in!
[-] The following 3 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, luka_skywalker_77
Like Reply
(12-20-2021, 02:49 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: He checks all of the boxes for the Mavs.

• Former Knick
  • Alleged "3 and D" potential
Easy decision to bring him in!

One of the funniest posts I've read in some time. Bravo!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • luka_skywalker_77
Like Reply
Same thing that I already posted in the Chriss thread. Go after a vet with a better track record in the NBA or after a younger player with more upside. Maybe I am wrong but I think Pinson is neither.
Maybe Jeff Teague, Brandon Knight, Quinn Cook or even Yogi Ferrell in the first category. Mason Jones in the second category.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
(12-21-2021, 04:07 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Same thing that I already posted in the Chriss thread. Go after a vet with a better track record in the NBA or after a younger player with more upside. Maybe I am wrong but I think Pinson is neither.
Maybe Jeff Teague, Brandon Knight, Quinn Cook or even Yogi Ferrell in the first category. Mason Jones in the second category.

Quinn Cook is a good idea.  Guy can flat out shoot the long ball.
Like Reply
I know it's nostalgic, but has JJB's ship already sailed?
Like Reply
Since I'm the first dude posting here AFTER they saw Pinson play, let me be the first to say.

Me before the game:  "Pinson, who the crap is that?"

Me after the game:  "Oooooo, that's who Theo Pinson is... I'll shut up now.  Go ahead and do your job, Nico."
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 2 users Like TXBamanut's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 09:05 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: Since I'm the first dude posting here AFTER they saw Pinson play, let me be the first to say.

Me before the game:  "Pinson, who the crap is that?"

Me after the game:  "Oooooo, that's who Theo Pinson is... I'll shut up now.  Go ahead and do your job, Nico."

Me in the first half. Pinson is good. Why is he in the g-league?
Me in the second half. Never mind. Stretch to end the 3rd quarter was brutal.
Me after the game. Still better than Bullock. Why is he making 9m per year?
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 09:21 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Me in the first half. Pinson is good. Why is he in the g-league?
Me in the second half. Never mind. Stretch to end the 3rd quarter was brutal.
Me after the game. Still better than Bullock. Why is he making 9m per year?

Yeah, his warts started to show a little offensively in the third, but I'm pushing back on the 3rd quarter.  It was brutal with the shooting, but defensively, he was there.  He only played the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and the Mavs went on a run to stretch the lead..and if Frankie hadn't had some tough luck on two plays at the end of the 3rd, it wouldn't have been 10 and probably should have been 15-16 points.

He got called for a foul on Towns, but Towns clearly pushed off it wasn't a foul at all and even extended his arm, so that was NOT on Pinson...that's the award winning officiating of the NBA.  It's like Skin said.  That foul was "one guy is Karl-Anthony Towns, and the other wasn't in the NBA yesterday."

He has one weird pass to Dorian late in the shot clock when they gave it to him again late.

He had A GREAT DIG helping on a post move by Towns and the Mavs threw the outlet pass away.  He had another tipped pass away for a steal, and the Mavs WENT ON THE RUN when Pinson was in there.  He had another breakup on a pass to a cutter, playing help defense.

I'm see what you are looking at, but it's not all scoring.

You can't get enamored with the shooting and miss the other parts of the game.  At least once, they gave him the ball at the end of the shot clock and I was like "why?"...right when he came in the game, he got the ball and had to go one on one with 3 seconds late in the shot clock from the 3 point line...I'm not holding that against him.  Another late shot clock, he drove, got a foul and two free throws.

I don't think they signed him for his offense, but his feel for playing in general, being able to fit in and defensive smarts.  He's shooting 40% from 3 in the G League this year, but that's a bonus, in my opinion.

The fourth was where he had some rough spots...the miss communication with Dwight on the pass...he got caught on a big in transition under the rim (because he actually got back on D) and that was rough.  Missed a couple of 3s... The steal on his pass to DFS (but for Pete's sake, Brunson put was throwing that to Manute Bol on a ladder and it was a miracle Pinson got it, and the Minny player just made a good anticipation) on where the swing pass was going.  But defensively he was still there the whole time.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
I was looking at his college highlights.   In some ways he reminds me of a more athletic Nate Hinton.   Both had similar roles in college but Pinson was on teams that was competing and winning championships.    As with Hinton, being a consistent open three point shooter will probably determine how long he stays in the NBA.   In college, he was not very good, I believe.  But I thought they mentioned he was shooting pretty solid in the G-League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XagpyUIxkjY&t=166s
Like Reply
Pretty rough 2nd half for him again.  The defense as a whole looked lost and I think Kidd wanted a lot of trapping but I noticed him reaching a lot and not giving great effort.
Like Reply
(12-23-2021, 11:19 PM)cow Wrote: Pretty rough 2nd half for him again.  The defense as a whole looked lost and I think Kidd wanted a lot of trapping but I noticed him reaching a lot and not giving great effort.

Would give him a break. Just no way for any of the new guys to know the scheme. Even more for Pinson who ended up as the PF/C after Chriss fouled out. Probably hasn´t played a single front court minute in his life prior to today.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1...5224951808
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Tyler
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1479917544664350720
Like Reply
I've been super impressed with his passing and overall feel for the game.  Happy for him and for us.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply