Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullock Bust Watch
Kammrath, nice theory and hilarious joke (“Aw hell no!”).

It’s interesting to think about who could provide that precise KP-protecting fit, able to defend both bullies and deep threats. The obvious one resides in Indianapolis. Isaac in Orlando seems like he could be that guy too, with a healthy knee and a vaccine. I’d happily say goodbye to my fav overachiever for either of them.

But I’m not sure I can think of anyone else better than Maxi in that very difficult role.
Like Reply
See, and for me, the goal would be to add about 3 more players just like DFS and Bullock. I don't think you can have enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 02:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: See, and for me, the goal would be to add about 3 more players just like DFS and Bullock. I don't think you can have enough.

Yes, but could we get them at 6'-9".
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 03:04 PM)chaparral Wrote: Yes, but could we get them at 6'-9".

Sure, that would be great. But, WINGS, not BIGS. 

Anything from 6'6"-6'10" is fine, provided we're talking long arms and quick feet.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 03:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, that would be great. But, WINGS, not BIGS. 

Anything from 6'6"-6'10" is fine, provided we're talking long arms and quick feet.

Not a big option to pick from at 6-9, just counted 38 players.  List gets smaller if we take out the bigs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
We complain for years about not having long wings who can shoot and defend. We develop ONE of them over a number of years. We finally add a second....and we want to get rid of the first.

We hear "their length really bothered us" when it's somone else's defense (Clippers), but we don't somehow remember that WE could have a defense like that.
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 03:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: long arms

So glad you could join us in Club Wingspan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 03:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: So glad you could join us in Club Wingspan.

I've always been in the club, my guy! It's just not my everything. But yeah, it ABSOLUTELY helps!
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 03:12 PM)chaparral Wrote: Not a big option to pick from at 6-9, just counted 38 players.  List gets smaller if we take out the bigs.

Sure, but we agree that there's a difference between a 6'9" undersized big and a super long 6'9" guy with wing feet on defense, right? 

Give me the 6'7" guy who can cover ground on D over a guy playing out of position who happens to be two inches taller.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, fifteenth
Like Reply
It's early, but it seems to me Bullock was a better fit in NY.
Like Reply
Horrible game vs. the Suns...might have been the worst player tonight! No wonder all he can do is stand around and shoot threes because forget about him making even a slightly contested layup
Like Reply
Bullock was bad against the Suns, no doubt. 

I don't think he's in danger of being a "bust" though. He'll shoot better, eventually, and I LIKE how confidently he gets shots off. In fact, I think he has been a little too hesitant here, so far. 

He's not quite as good defensively as I hoped he'd be, but he's above average, for sure. He suffers slightly from the Josh Richardson style "if I move my arms and legs a lot when defending on-ball, people will think I'm defending well" issues, but not nearly as bad, and I think his work on that side of the floor will improve with experience here, too.
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 01:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: the Josh Richardson style "if I move my arms and legs a lot when defending on-ball, people will think I'm defending well" issues

[Image: 200.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • khaled1987
Like Reply
RB has left a lot to be desired so far: poor 3 pt shooting, no play-making ability (not totally unexpected), and most disappointingly, average at best on-the-ball defense. We are only a month in to the season, but at some point he is what he is.  

Far and away our best FA signing was Franky. He is playing solid defense and knocking down shots/creating when open. Looks like his minutes are trending up as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Wright -> JRich -> Bullock

We need to get off this hamster wheel.  Small sample size and all but Bullock makes me miss JRich and I ****ing hated the JRich trade.
Like Reply
(11-19-2021, 05:39 AM)cow Wrote: Wright -> JRich -> Bullock

We need to get off this hamster wheel.  Small sample size and all but Bullock makes me miss JRich and I ****ing hated the JRich trade.

Yeah, but I think the Mavs, as most others did, thought they were getting a knock down 3 point shooter if nothing else. That was not the plan with the other two guys you mention.  The sample size is small, but unfortunately it’s growing without any noticeable improvement!
[-] The following 2 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-19-2021, 07:18 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Yeah, but I think the Mavs, as most others did, thought they were getting a knock down 3 point shooter if nothing else. That was not the plan with the other two guys you mention.  The sample size is small, but unfortunately it’s growing without any noticeable improvement!

He'll shoot better, at some point. You can tell he's a shooter - quick release, good relocation skills. Rhythm and spacing have been significant issues for the entire team so far, and while I agree he hasn't helped with that yet (at least in a way that leads to consistent offensive success), the flip side is that he's probably being affected by it. He's new, and so are some of the key coaches. It will take some time. 

And honestly, he has consistently been defended as if he's a shooter. I'm one of the biggest DFS/Kleber fans you'll find, but it's clear that Bullock has a more significant gravitational pull than either of them. Both are good catch-and-shoot guys (though DFS seems to make slow starts an annual tradition) but their releases are slooooow. They'll always be left open over Bullock/Hardaway, who are just flat out more dangerous because the defense has less time to rotate to them. My thinking is that once the entire offense figures itself out, Bullock's gravity, like Hardaway's, will be a key ingredient that will help Luka/Brunson quite a bit.

I do agree that the anointing oil was applied to Bullock's forehead juuuust a little too quickly around here, however. "Shiny new toy" syndrome, from my seat. I think we're miles away from "bust" territory, but on the other hand, this notion that he somehow makes DFS (who I believe is a better all around player) expendable is misguided, imo. I think Bullock could be a starter/closer in the league, given the need for it, and he might play one or both of those roles here at some point. But, I don't think he's necessarily miscast as a key reserve, and I don't think using the MLE on a key reserve is out of line as long as he fits and elevates the team's play. 

Basically, Bullock is like a hybrid combo of Hardaway and DFS. Not quite as strong as either in areas of overlap, but containing a very useful mix of their skills, making him probably a slightly more two-way player than either (though not in a game-changing way). I still like the signing, though I'm ready to start seeing results like everyone else.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, mvossman, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(11-19-2021, 07:18 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Yeah, but I think the Mavs, as most others did, thought they were getting a knock down 3 point shooter if nothing else. That was not the plan with the other two guys you mention.  The sample size is small, but unfortunately it’s growing without any noticeable improvement!

It is more about the trend of misevaluation compounded with overpaying.  Look at Caruso's contract and think about how much more he'd impact any given game compared to Bullock.
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 12:30 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Horrible game vs. the Suns...might have been the worst player tonight! No wonder all he can do is stand around and shoot threes because forget about him making even a slightly contested layup

You forgot about WCS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-19-2021, 11:45 AM)cow Wrote: It is more about the trend of misevaluation compounded with overpaying.  Look at Caruso's contract and think about how much more he'd impact any given game compared to Bullock.
If Caruso had come here he’d become the same player the other two have. It’s the team, not the players!!! We are cursed to not have another superstar OR a third high end playmaker!
Like Reply